HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For funsies: One for One swap - Barrie for Ehrhoff

View Poll Results: Barrie for Ehrhoff - One for One - Would you do it?
Yes 14 33.33%
No 28 66.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
For funsies: One for One swap - Barrie for Ehrhoff

I'd like to know how many people would approve a one for one swap of Tyson Barrie for Christian Ehrhoff? Keeping in mind what Barrie was able to show last season in the AHL & NHL as a 21 year old, I think the Sabres would think long and hard if this was actually offered considering Barrie complements their young D core of Zadorov, Ristolainen, Myers and Pysyk extremely well. We'd be giving up a 22 year old with tons of upside for a 31 year old, that's gotta factor in on your decision.

I'm actually on the fence on this one, I like Ehrhoff but if Barrie can play as well as he did at times last year with any consistency, we could have another Shattenkirk situation on our hands. I won't be surprised to see all the 'win now' fans vote yes but also curious to hear your thoughts.

[Please note - I'm not saying this would happen or that the Sabres would accept this deal. They are notoriously reknowed hardballers and would likely demand much more in return]

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 01:13 AM
BrickAHL
No More

vCash: 500
This is not fun!

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

No.

If we were a team going for it right now with a small window, I might do it. However, we're not at that level yet. By the time we become legit Cup contenders, Ehrhoff will be in his mid 30s and Barrie will be entering his prime. We still don't know how good Barrie will be or if he'll even be on the top in a few years but I like his potential.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 01:20 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
This is not fun!

lol...how come?

I voted 'no' because I feel we can acquire some defensive help without it having to cost us Barrie and I don't think there's any rush anyways but I'm sure others will feel quite differently.

Last edited by Bender: 10-18-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Stupid tablet autocomplete
Old
10-18-2013, 01:22 AM
BrickAHL
No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
lol...how come?

I voted 'no' because I feel we can acquire some defensive help without it having to cost us Barrie and I don't think there's any rush anyways but I'm sure other will feel quite differently.
Because I love both players and want both of them on this team. To answer the question, I would say no. I'd rather trade draft picks for a top 4 defenseman than trade Barrie.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 02:10 AM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

I think, like last year, you just have to give him a chance to play here. We don't know what he will turn into, but he's shown enough for us to give him every chance to show that he can be a good #3 in this league.

We could use someone like Ehrhoff on our PP, but I think we can get more out of our existing players there too.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 07:53 AM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
I voted yes but would prefer not having to use Barrie to get help on D.

I think Ehrhoff would be better for this team over the next 5 years than Barrie.

I see Barrie's ceiling to be where Ehrhoff is now, and in reality I think obtaining a player like Ehrhoff will cost more than just Barrie so this would be great value.

10-18-2013, 08:30 AM
klozge
Avs

Ehrhoff is pretty darn good (German bias) but if Barrie makes the next few steps he'll be something special imo. If Roy ever plays him again, that is.

klozge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 08:42 AM
henchman24
If and if...

I wouldn't. Barrie is too important to this defensive core moving forward. The only way I would trade him is for an upgrade on a young defensemen. Say OEL/Subban/Karlsson/etc decided he was unhappy and Phoenix/Montreal/Ottawa/etc wanted to trade him out, I would package Barrie in a deal to get him.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
for funsies I said no

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Nihiliste

Said no. We need to add to our weak defensive pool, not trade one of our only talented guys for one. Hejda will be gone soon, and until (if at all) Elliott/Siemens/bigras can prove they belong I'm not willing to trade Barrie.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 09:22 AM
cgf
Aves Fan

I'd do our first and Elliott, but not Barrie.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Barrie will be very good defenseman, but of course Ehrhoff is that already. Tough question. I think I would do it, If we are in great shape and we are close to trade deadline and Barrie is not playing in our roster.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Nzap
BaltoBaltoBaltoBalto

If Ehrhoff was 3 years younger I'd make the deal.

The value for sure is there and Buffalo might want even more, but no.

I think it's close for us to pull the trigger, but no.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
If Ehrhoff was 3 years younger I'd make the deal.

The value for sure is there and Buffalo might want even more, but no.

I think it's close for us to pull the trigger, but no.
Yeah, It's easy to think about short-term gain, but we have to think long-term. This team is still one season and couple good defenseman away from being Stanley Cup contender. We shouldn't pay huge price at this point, we should save assests for upcoming years when we need to upgrade our team at trade deadline.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 10:19 AM
cgf
Aves Fan

Meh, this team has a ton of what they'll need to contend already in place except for a first pairing EJ partner, and even that may be in the pipeline once Bigras and Siemens develop. So I like the idea of adding a vet to fill that role for now, someone who can bridge the gap until those kids are ready and someone who can help mentor them and show them how it should be done. With Tanguay being the only forward we'll have to replace any time soon if Staz, Downie and Radar re-sign, we can afford to take a bite out of our prospect pool now if it keeps the current NHLers together and leaves Bigras and Siemens.

Barrie just wouldn't be the piece to go after that veteran first pairing LHD, which is why I'd be all for using our first and Elliott to bring in a guy like Erhoff or Campbell.

Old
10-18-2013, 10:46 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Maybe naive of me but I just don't want to blow up the team. They are coming together as a team and I'd really like to see what a full year of Roy and rejuvenated purpose looks like before shipping anyone out. I'd hate gambling with our first but that I'd be willing to look at moving to bring in a good piece. Otherwise that first is going to be important to add talent to the pipeline. If McKeown or Fleury can be had around 15 that is going to be tough to pass up. I think Roy is going to give Bigras a serious look next year but Siemens is going to need more time. I think it's wait and see time. Roy and Sakic are always looking but they'll only pull the trigger on a home run.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Foppa Frossa

I do not like this idea barrie much.

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 11:55 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I have been one of Ehrhoff's biggest advocators here, but we aren't going to win the cup this year so it is better for our team to keep on learning, progress, and develop that way. Before pulling a Philadelphia Flyers and trading away good young talent and replacing it with older players.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 11:06 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
I do not like this idea barrie much.
lol awesome!

Old
10-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Drury_Sakic

How about Pickard, Elliot, and Hunwick for Ehrhoff?

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2013, 12:19 AM
cgf
Aves Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I have been one of Ehrhoff's biggest advocators here, but we aren't going to win the cup this year so it is better for our team to keep on learning, progress, and develop that way. Before pulling a Philadelphia Flyers and trading away good young talent and replacing it with older players.
If we could get him for our first and Elliott instead of Barrie, that would only help our young talent keep learning, progressing and developing. The forwards would learn how to really compete with a competent defense, and Bigras and Barrie would both have an experienced mentor the way Siemens does with Hejda.

I think that a big part of talent development is putting kids in position to succeed and for the guys with more development to go it helps having veterans for them to watch and learn from when they do transition to the big club, thus the value I place on Giggy and Hejda for us in back, and Stastny, PAP and now Tanguay for us up front. Erhoff would complete the puzzle, he'd be the last veteran we need to be ready to learn how to really win, and he'd help us get the most out of Barrie, Bigras and even EJ.

If we can retain that team, which we should be able to afford if Staz and Radar are both willing to sign for less than Duchene money, and Downie takes around 4.5, we'd then be all set and just need to wait and keep restocking the pipeline for when we either win cups and can't afford to keep everyone, or don't win cups and need to make a trade to get there. Cause that team may not win the cup this year, but they'd be a pretty solid bet to make the playoffs and could even win their first series since Sakic was a player, and that experience would be absolutely massive to build on next season when Nate's no longer a rookie, we've had a year under Roy, and Siemens/Bigras are closer to joining the party.

Last edited by cgf: 10-19-2013 at 12:31 AM.