Old
10-18-2013, 10:47 AM
ElGuapo
12-13 FGotG Champion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post

For all his warts, Goose is more valuable to this team as a PMD 25-30 point guy
Dang I hope he doesn't regress that much already considering it's all he brings.

ElGuapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 10:57 AM
StarsFan74

Alex Goligoski = GTFO!

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I would agree with this.

I wouldn't say the Stars broke him. He was sheltered in Pittsburgh and all of his deficiencies became obvious when he was leaned on to be the top pairing defenseman management hoped he would be. If you put him back on Pittsburgh he would look a lot better than he does here because of how he would be used.
That is very true but he seemed so thrilled to play for us when he got here. He was very active and aggressive offensively and he was exactly what we needed. He was also playing really heavy minutes and obviously his defense wasn't very good then either, but his offense was making up for it. His complete lack of confidence has ruined his offensive game. You see flashes of it here and there but it just isn't present anymore. Last year's point total was pretty good, granted, but something isn't right with him and it's all in his head.

I just get the feeling that even if you shelter him now as a 3rd pairing d-man with #1 PP minutes he still wouldn't look right. I think Pittsburgh has a black magic factory over there, they even make Niskanen look good.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
It's Niskanen 2.0... We've known about this since the trade.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 06:41 PM
haf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
It's Niskanen 2.0... We've known about this since the trade.
I think you just need the right defenseman to play with Goli and you will be fine. His play depends a great deal on his partner in my mind.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
I think you just need the right defenseman to play with Goli and you will be fine. His play depends a great deal on his partner in my mind.
Yes, same with Niskanen having the Almighty Zubov for a year and a half.

The problem is that means he needs a #1 D to be a #2, is otherwise a #4 or worse.

And that's why we need Oleksiak up or Dillon playing with Goose.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Famous Flames

One of the worst trades in Star's history. Just get rid of him and move on.

Famous Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:18 PM
SonicSpeedDash
All bets are off

So no defensive **** ups tonight. Can we waive or buy out the sack of crap now?

SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Sports
HFStars refugee

Aw, you guys are so mean.
Hang in there, Goose.

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:13 AM
JeffPeppers
ξ _,)

we played better without him for sure.. but he'd probably be awesome with the right pairing.

now we need him to show up well enough to get any trade value out.. :\

JeffPeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Dirty Kari

Obviously Goligoski has had some major issues. However, I think they are a matter of a supreme deficit of confidence. What this guy looks like when he is confident and what he looks like when he is not are too different players. He is successful when is aggressive. When he is struggling he looses that aggression entirely. Unfortunately we have seen far more of the "bad" Goligoski than the "good".

If this were a better team that could insulate Goligoski I think he would at least be putting up points, making putting up with his defensive ****-ups easier. Unfortunately this team isn't at that level. The issue I have with trading him is that I don't think we would get a whole lot at this point and when this team is good we will probably want a player like Goligoski (at least the "good" Goligoski) on the roster. If we trade him we likely don't get much in return and will have to replace him at some point. I think he is also likely to do well on a better team where he has a stable defensive partner.

I am not sure what to do with him at this point. On one hand the roster looked better without him. On the other, forcing the Gonchar-Goligoski pairing was disastrous for both of them. Goligoski looked good with Dillon last year. When Oleksiak is ready will he look good with him too? With all the contracts coming off the roster the next 2 years, is his cap hit really restricting us? I think the best thing to do here is give him a stable defensive partner, plenty of PP time, and inflate his value.

Last edited by Dirty Kari: 10-25-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Dirty Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Troy McClure

Goligoski can have stretches where he is very useful. When he first came over from Pittsburgh, he looked great. He wasn't a superstar or anything, but he was able to make good, intelligent passes that none of the other d-men on the roster could. Sadly, we haven't seen that guy since that season.

But he's so up and down, with his down being useless.

If I'm the Stars I hire Sydor's sports psychologist and see if Goligoski can be straightened out this season. If not, cut bait. His upside isn't high enough that it's worth surfing his oscillations between adequate and terrible.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 10:48 AM
ElGuapo
12-13 FGotG Champion

The only time he's looked 'good' is the stretch after he was traded. Other than that the best he's been is 'we can deal with and mitigate his F ups' and that's when with someone like Dillon. Regardless of cap hit whatever, the team is better without him. The positives he brings aren't enough. He's just not good.

ElGuapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 10:59 AM
haf

"I know he's at the absolute nadir of his career, but "good" Goligoski is exactly the type of player Philadelphia needs to replace a slow defenseman with (any would do).

The achilles heel with this player isn't that he's "bad defensively." It's that he's a confidence player.

When he believes in himself, he's a smooth skating, very creative, very brainy (if understrength) D capable of slipping checks on dump ins, skating the puck out of danger, threading needles on the breakout, making great reads all over the ice, finding seams with fakes in the offensive zone, quarterbacking a powerplay and driving an offense.

When he doesn't, he's smooth skating, hesitant garbage that can't do anything right.

Unfortunately, even when he was on a Penguins team that won most regular season games, he only believed in himself about 50% of the time."

from billybudd on a goli to philly trade thread
pretty good assessment i thought.
dude just can't get out of his own head.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Famous Flames

There is no way the "hope" that he is better someday or he plays well with some as of yet unknown stud D man we get somehow is worth $4.6 million/$4.8 million/$4.8 miliion.

Horrible trade, chalk up to prior regime, move on.

Famous Flames is offline   Reply With Quote