HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

All Ongoing Oiler Goalie Trade Talk Here

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Draiskull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueForever View Post
What have Hall/Eberle/Nuge/Yak/Schultz done in the NHL to be untouchables in every trade?????
a lot more than Kadri, Rielly, JVR and Bernier.. Why are there no trade proposals that include these guys littered on this board?

Gagner for Bernier +
or if TOR wants Yak then its Bernier + 1 of the other 3 names mentioned.

Dont like it? need not post here ... EDM does not need Reimer.

Old
10-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
What would Ducks fans think of this:

EDM: Hiller + DSP
ANA: Labarbera + 1st + Musil/Gernat
I don't think that we'd take a goalie back if we're trading either of our guys, not an NHL goalie at least.

Old
10-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Ducksgo*

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I don't think that we'd take a goalie back if we're trading either of our guys, not an NHL goalie at least.
I'm more interested in the first. It's unrealistic, but does entice me for a UFA Hiller.

Old
10-18-2013, 02:22 PM
ShouldveDraftedFiala

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
team1040, tsn and sportsnet all reported that due to the canucks and oilers being in the same division gillis was asking for the 1st(7th overall), a good prospect, and a player that could help them now. considering la is also in the same division now, the price would have been around the same. they had the chance, just would of required overpayment, but sometimes you have to do it
Now it's looking like they're going to have to pay an even bigger price to get something, even if it's from the east. Ouch.

Old
10-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
a lot more than Kadri, Rielly, JVR and Bernier.. Why are there no trade proposals that include these guys littered on this board?

Gagner for Bernier +
or if TOR wants Yak then its Bernier + 1 of the other 3 names mentioned.

Dont like it? need not post here ... EDM does not need Reimer.
Seriously? You think Yak...and his vast NHL experience, is worth Bernier plus 1 of Kadri/JVR/Rielly? Care to explain why Toronto would be foolish enough to do that? What exactly has Yak shown that makes this even remotely fair?

Old
10-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuklehead View Post
Now it's looking like they're going to have to pay an even bigger price to get something, even if it's from the east. Ouch.
If the price was really the seventh overall, a good prospect, and a roster player, then I doubt that EDM is going to have pay anywhere close to that for a goaltender.

Old
10-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:
team1040, tsn and sportsnet all reported that due to the canucks and oilers being in the same division gillis was asking for the 1st(7th overall), a good prospect, and a player that could help them now. considering la is also in the same division now, the price would have been around the same. they had the chance, just would of required overpayment, but sometimes you have to do it
I take this with a grain of salt. It was reported that Gillis was after the same type of return for Luongo originally as well. I also can't see the Kings demanding that and settling for Frattin,Scrivens and a 2nd. If EDM would have stepped up to the plate, they could have had either. If EDM offered the 7th overall and a small second piece, i doubt Gillis says no.

Old
10-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Seriously? You think Yak...and his vast NHL experience, is worth Bernier plus 1 of Kadri/JVR/Rielly? Care to explain why Toronto would be foolish enough to do that? What exactly has Yak shown that makes this even remotely fair?
Well enough in juniors to be th clear choice at #1 among professional scouts.
Led rookies in scoring last year.. His team in goals last year as a 18yo rookie.

What was kadri as a 18yo? 19yo? .. EDM can send Yak down to AHL and he would still be ahead of the curve and will still have value of someone with a star potential.

You guys can stick to your Reimer+ crap all you want.. its not going to happen.

Old
10-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Well enough in juniors to be th clear choice at #1 among professional scouts.
Led rookies in scoring last year.. His team in goals last year as a 18yo rookie.

What was kadri as a 18yo? 19yo? .. EDM can send Yak down to AHL and he would still be ahead of the curve and will still have value of someone with a star potential.

You guys can stick to your Reimer+ crap all you want.. its not going to happen.
Exellent. When the Leafs move to the junior rankings....i will call you.

You know who led all rookie D-men in scoring his rookie year? Gardiner....tell me you think he has great value.

What has Kadri done? Well, i can tell you what he hasn't done, he hasn't come out in the media and said he won't listen to his coaches or try to improve his game.

Lastly, if the Oilers can send Yak down, why don't they? Would be better than benching the kid.

PS: I have no problem with the Leafs keeping Reimer and the Oil playing Dubnyk.

Old
10-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Trelane

Quote:
Yup. If MacT could go back in time, he'd do it in a heartbeat. The Nuck asking price was stiff given they were dealing with a divisional rival but not outrageous. On close inspection, one might even argue it was reasonable.

1) 7th = 9th since value of a pick is what player it represents on a team's draftboard. Nucks were thinking Horvat all the way, and would not have taken Nurse or Ristolainen.

2) 2nd rounder - Nucks haven't nailed one of these in over a decade. (Nor have the Oilers done much with it, I understand). Very low risk giving one away.

3) "significant prospect" - who knows who that could be. Talk seemed to revolve around Klefbom or Marincin, guys that have been around for a while who seemed to have plateaued, and would be no higher than 10th on Nuck D depth chart.

Weigh all that v how many softy goals Schneider would have prevented, or how higher the Oilers would be in standings, and its looking like a no brainer. Live 'n' learn MacT, and Oil fans at the time screaming robbery at Gillis' asking price.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:17 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
Yup. If MacT could go back in time, he'd do it in a heartbeat. The Nuck asking price was stiff given they were dealing with a divisional rival but not outrageous. On close inspection, one might even argue it was reasonable.

1) 7th = 9th since value of a pick is what player it represents on a team's draftboard. Nucks were thinking Horvat all the way, and would not have taken Nurse or Ristolainen.

2) 2nd rounder - Nucks haven't nailed one of these in over a decade. (Nor have the Oilers done much with it, I understand). Very low risk giving one away.

3) "significant prospect" - who knows who that could be. Talk seemed to revolve around Klefbom or Marincin, guys that have been around for a while who seemed to have plateaued, and would be no higher than 10th on Nuck D depth chart.

Weigh all that v how many softy goals Schneider would have prevented, or how higher the Oilers would be in standings, and its looking like a no brainer. Live 'n' learn MacT, and Oil fans at the time screaming robbery at Gillis' asking price.
The significant prospect in the rumors I have heard was Marincin, who has in no way plateaued. He had a great first pro year in the AHL last season, and has had steady progression since he was drafted. His value is not small.

I don't think MacT would have done it in a heartbeat. There is a point when a ridiculous overpayment isn't worth it, even to fill a need, and saying that a slow start from our goaltending (partially based on our horrendous defensive zone coverage and dozens of unforced turnovers), less than 10 games into a season, reflects the future value of a missed trade, is kind of ridiculous. I don't blame Gillis for asking for more from the Oilers, but I don't think anyone should really blame MacTavish for not giving up an arm and a leg extra.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:24 PM
natemm

Best solution would be to grab a stopgap for next year and then back up the Brinks truck to Cory Schneider's house as a UFA.

He's the perfect age to back up the core of their forwards and I can't see the appeal for him to re-sign in NJ.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:28 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemm View Post
Best solution would be to grab a stopgap for next year and then back up the Brinks truck to Cory Schneider's house as a UFA.

He's the perfect age to back up the core of their forwards and I can't see the appeal for him to re-sign in NJ.
This. There are a lot of UFA goalies this summer, some that won't be retained by their teams because cheaper options are right behind them. Or someone like Neuvirith, who isn't getting the chance to start despite being good enough.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:29 PM
SupremeTeam16
5-14-6-1

Everything is so clear when you are looking back on things, Management thought Dubnyk would progress and become the goalie we need him to be unfortunately it doesn't look like he is going to do that.

My question is if we over pay for a guy like Hiller (because we will have to over pay because everyone knows how desperate the oilers are) is that goalie gonna make such a huge impact that we can climb back into a very competitive Pacific division even though the other teams have like a 8 point head start on us now.

I say we let this team ride it out and then maybe start making calls at the trade deadline. There isn't really a market for goalies in the NHL right now and as the trade deadline nears teams who have pending UFA goalies might realize that it's a buyers market and with two or three teams trying to unload a goalie at the deadline before losing him for nothing the price should go down. Hopefully the stink of desperation will of worn off the oilers by then also.

Types of situations I'm thinking (and I'm not saying these are for sure things but could become possible)

ANA: Hiller or Fasth is gone, likely Hiller once Fasth stabilizes his play

STL: Halak is a UFA and Jake Allen looks close. Halak most likely gets resigned but who knows.

BUF: Miller won't come to Edm but that's another goalie over saturating the market.

OTT: Lehner is a RFA will most definitely be looking for a raise and alot more ice time if he continues to trend how he is. Melnyk is broke and penny pinching no way he carries 6 mil worth of goalies. Anderson could be had at TD or off season.

TOR: Many fans already want to unload Reimer, while I think Nonis likes the tandem right now eventually in the next 6 to 10 months he will want to unload Reimer most likely.

NYR: Lundy still hasn't signed an extension so who knows. Doubt he wants to come to EDM but you never know.

While all these guys are exceptional goalies and would more then likely an upgrade over Dubnyk none of them are the second coming of Roy or Brodeur or Hasek (except Lundy) who are gonna put this team on their backs and deliver them to the promised land this season, we are already behind the 8 ball in a conference that even with a strong goalie we would be just in the mix.

I saw wait buy low and use the assets we would have to over pay with now for a goalie to over pay for a legitimate #1 D man if one becomes available.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Wondercarrot
Casual Thor

An Anderson and Cowen trade addresses pretty much all of Edmonton's needs.
Make an offer, then we can then scream and yell about that for awhile.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Vesa Awesaka
#KeepTheSenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I take this with a grain of salt. It was reported that Gillis was after the same type of return for Luongo originally as well. I also can't see the Kings demanding that and settling for Frattin,Scrivens and a 2nd. If EDM would have stepped up to the plate, they could have had either. If EDM offered the 7th overall and a small second piece, i doubt Gillis says no.
Benier probably asked for a trade and Lombardy felt it was necessary to do right by him. Or if i remember correctly wasnt Benier an RFA. He could have just said he'd wasnt planning on resigning as a back up.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:56 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
Benier probably asked for a trade and Lombardy felt it was necessary to do right by him. Or if i remember correctly wasnt Benier an RFA. He could have just said he'd wasnt planning on resigning as a back up.
Bernier asked for a trade 2 years ago.... Lombardi certainly wasn't compelled to trade him when he received the request.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
An Anderson and Cowen trade addresses pretty much all of Edmonton's needs.
Make an offer, then we can then scream and yell about that for awhile.
I think Cowen is as valuable to Ottawa as he is to Edmonton. The organization really needs tat stay at home defenceman.

I cannot see Lehner/Anderson getting traded this season. This summer Anderson will probably be on the move though.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:58 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

should be targeting Budaj, imo.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
bishop went for very little while the oilers offered garbage. same deal with bernier.
the oilers were the team in the best position to get either of them in terms of assets, yet they seem to think someone's just going to give them a goalie.
I wouldn't say Conacher and a 4th is very little

Old
10-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Wondercarrot
Casual Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
I think Cowen is as valuable to Ottawa as he is to Edmonton. The organization really needs tat stay at home defenceman.

I cannot see Lehner/Anderson getting traded this season. This summer Anderson will probably be on the move though.
im not suggesting Cowen isnt very valuable to us and i have no desire to trade anderson right now, im asking what the Oilers would pay to get a #1 top goalie, and the huge mobile stopper they need.

any deal is possible if its good enough.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:06 PM
sansabri
Let Rome burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
should be targeting Budaj, imo.
you wouldn't want him. he's a dependable backup, but can't handle the workload of a no.1.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
im not suggesting Cowen isnt very valuable to us and i have no desire to trade anderson right now, im asking what the Oilers would pay to get a #1 top goalie, and the huge mobile stopper they need.

any deal is possible if its good enough.
Any deal involving Cowen would need Hall, Eberle, or RNH. Now I know those are the guys Edmonton loves but there are not any other players on the roster that are even close in value.

Its tough to make a deal with your org. You have three top end guys and than a big drop off in every other department.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:16 PM
OttawaSenators11
#25 FTW

And Sens don't need draft picks (unless A+) and like edm needs roster players NOW.

Year #3 of the rebuild.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
Any deal involving Cowen would need Hall, Eberle, or RNH. Now I know those are the guys Edmonton loves but there are not any other players on the roster that are even close in value.
There's no chance you get any of those 3 for Cowen.

Closed Thread