HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

All Ongoing Oiler Goalie Trade Talk Here

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
An Anderson and Cowen trade addresses pretty much all of Edmonton's needs.
Make an offer, then we can then scream and yell about that for awhile.
Ottawa has some serious defensive issues of their own and can't afford to lose Cowen. Would be foolish to move him, I don't see these two being good trading partners unless it's for a goalie and a depth forward.

Lehner + Z.Smith + 2nd

Eberle

Makes both teams better IMO. Ottawa has Anderson and can lean on Z to fill in Smith's role or go to the farm. Edmonton get's a good goalie whose young and can grow with their team and some centre depth to help with killing penalties and play on the 4th line. While the loss of Eberle might sting, they have enough wingers to compensate.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:19 PM
OttawaSenators11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
There's no chance you get any of those 3 for Cowen.
Agreed
And there for isn't worth moving.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:22 PM
SupremeTeam16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
I think Cowen is as valuable to Ottawa as he is to Edmonton. The organization really needs tat stay at home defenceman.

I cannot see Lehner/Anderson getting traded this season. This summer Anderson will probably be on the move though.

I think Murray would be better making a deal earlier especially with guys like Hiller and Miller being FA's that are almost surely not going to be resigned by their teams. If he doesn't make a move at the right time he could be stuck trying to sell Anderson when there is no market for him. That mixed with the fact that Lehner is a RFA and it's pretty obvious he is going to become a solid NHL starter, trading him earlier minimizes your risk.

If he waits till the off season he could be sitting on a guy with 3.1 left on a contract only for the up coming year. A very very good RFA wanting a big contract and the #1 spot and on top of that a very constricting cap budget. Then he will be in a desperate place and other teams will know it.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
There's no chance you get any of those 3 for Cowen.
Oh I completely agree. That is why these organizations match up poorly for a trade of that quality of a player.

Lets match up the Oilers next best 3 players

Hemsky, Yakupov, and Garner. I don't think i'd even trade two of these players for Cowen.

Now I know some Oilers fans may say I overrate Cowen, but there is a reason high-quality, young, defensive defenceman do not get traded that often. He fits in so well with our organization.

A comparable offensive player I see as the same value as Cowen is someone like Stepan

Last edited by Sens Mile: 10-18-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old
10-18-2013, 04:26 PM
SupremeTeam16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Ottawa has some serious defensive issues of their own and can't afford to lose Cowen. Would be foolish to move him, I don't see these two being good trading partners unless it's for a goalie and a depth forward.

Lehner + Z.Smith + 2nd

Eberle

Makes both teams better IMO. Ottawa has Anderson and can lean on Z to fill in Smith's role or go to the farm. Edmonton get's a good goalie whose young and can grow with their team and some centre depth to help with killing penalties and play on the 4th line. While the loss of Eberle might sting, they have enough wingers to compensate.

I dont think sens move Lehner he is the future for them but as an Oilers fan that deal is pretty close but it would take the sens 1st rounder which they don't have.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeTeam16 View Post
I think Murray would be better making a deal earlier especially with guys like Hiller and Miller being FA's that are almost surely not going to be resigned by their teams. If he doesn't make a move at the right time he could be stuck trying to sell Anderson when there is no market for him. That mixed with the fact that Lehner is a RFA and it's pretty obvious he is going to become a solid NHL starter, trading him earlier minimizes your risk.

If he waits till the off season he could be sitting on a guy with 3.1 left on a contract only for the up coming year. A very very good RFA wanting a big contract and the #1 spot and on top of that a very constricting cap budget. Then he will be in a desperate place and other teams will know it.
This summer there will be a market. One of the aforementioned guys won't perform well. Looking at organizations that do not have sufficent Goalie depth, you can see there are less #1's out there than organizations.

Right now teams like the Jets, Wild, Flames, Oilers, Islanders, and Penguins could all use a guy like Anderson. They won't all get better goalies by the summer

Old
10-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
I dont think sens move Lehner he is the future for them but as an Oilers fan that deal is pretty close but it would take the sens 1st rounder which they don't have.
if Dubnyk continues to struggle it wont take long for that 2nd to look pretty nice.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I don't think that we'd take a goalie back if we're trading either of our guys, not an NHL goalie at least.
Don't you worry, Labarbera isn't an NHL goalie by any stretch of the imagination!

Old
10-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

I wouldn't trade Lehner for Eberle.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
I wouldn't trade Lehner for Eberle.
Agreed

Edmonton should sign someone like Theodore, let a formerly great goalie work with Dubnyk

Old
10-18-2013, 04:46 PM
SupremeTeam16

I think teams like PIT and MIN are happy enough with their situations both current and future that they wouldn't be willing to give up anything substantial for a somewhat minimal upgrade especially one that only has the upcoming year left on his contract. WPG has Pavelec @ 3.9 for the next 3-4 years, he has been performing well so far this year. Even if he crashed and burns to the point they feel they need to make a move, are they willing to outbid a team like EDM and then have a 4 mil a year back up? Cause moving him would be difficult.

There are teams out there who may or may not be looking come the off season but I think for many of them what they would have to give up might not be worth how much of an upgrade they are getting over the current situation.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:51 PM
SupremeTeam16

Quote:
Agreed

Edmonton should sign someone like Theodore, let a formerly great goalie work with Dubnyk

The Oilers have 1 contract spot left I'd rather not waste it on a confidence booster for Dubnyk.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
I think teams like PIT and MIN are happy enough with their situations both current and future that they wouldn't be willing to give up anything substantial for a somewhat minimal upgrade especially one that only has the upcoming year left on his contract. WPG has Pavelec @ 3.9 for the next 3-4 years, he has been performing well so far this year. Even if he crashed and burns to the point they feel they need to make a move, are they willing to outbid a team like EDM and then have a 4 mil a year back up? Cause moving him would be difficult.

There are teams out there who may or may not be looking come the off season but I think for many of them what they would have to give up might not be worth how much of an upgrade they are getting over the current situation.

I am not insulting the unwillingness to make the move, just the value comment. Anderson is a SIGNIFICANT step up for the Wild and Penguins. Show me a list where Anderson is not a top 10 goalie and I would be shocked.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
The Oilers have 1 contract spot left I'd rather not waste it on a confidence booster for Dubnyk.
Make a trade, there is always some flexibility in the AHL

Old
10-18-2013, 04:54 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Any deal involving Cowen would need Hall, Eberle, or RNH. Now I know those are the guys Edmonton loves but there are not any other players on the roster that are even close in value.

Its tough to make a deal with your org. You have three top end guys and than a big drop off in every other department.
Cowen isn't worth any of those guys yet.

He's still a project.

EDIT: Read your follow-up post - ok, fair enough.

Old
10-18-2013, 05:04 PM
SupremeTeam16

Quote:

I am not insulting the unwillingness to make the move, just the value comment. Anderson is a SIGNIFICANT step up for the Wild and Penguins. Show me a list where Anderson is not a top 10 goalie and I would be shocked.

Sorry I wasn't trying to say that Anderson's value is low, I think he is an exceptional goalie, I've wanted the Oilers to bring him in since he was in Florida. He is a guy who nevers gives up on a puck and does very well when facing lots of shots. He is exactly the guy that the Oilers need. He is a top 10 goalie no doubt. But I think both Backstrom and Fleury are in the mid to higher end range in the league and for that reason the upgrade to Anderson for a year isn't worth what they would have to give up to get him.

Old
10-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't trying to say that Anderson's value is low, I think he is an exceptional goalie, I've wanted the Oilers to bring him in since he was in Florida. He is a guy who nevers gives up on a puck and does very well when facing lots of shots. He is exactly the guy that the Oilers need. He is a top 10 goalie no doubt. But I think both Backstrom and Fleury are in the mid to higher end range in the league and for that reason the upgrade to Anderson for a year isn't worth what they would have to give up to get him.
Thats where my initial reaction is hmmm. I am not sure if I'm wrong or you're wrong on that one. Its an interesting conversation to have.

Old
10-18-2013, 05:26 PM
SupremeTeam16

Quote:
Thats where my initial reaction is hmmm. I am not sure if I'm wrong or you're wrong on that one. Its an interesting conversation to have.

I think Minne is confident in Backstrom since they re upped him for two more years and as well have Harding behind him and a few other young goalie prospects like Kuemper.

Who knows with Pittsburgh, Shero definitely likes to make moves so it wouldn't surprise me at all. But Fleury has been playing good so far this season.

Old
10-18-2013, 05:32 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:

You guys can trade Anderson to the Penguins and we'll take Fleury off their hands for them.

Old
10-18-2013, 05:43 PM
canuklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
The significant prospect in the rumors I have heard was Marincin, who has in no way plateaued. He had a great first pro year in the AHL last season, and has had steady progression since he was drafted. His value is not small.

I don't think MacT would have done it in a heartbeat. There is a point when a ridiculous overpayment isn't worth it, even to fill a need, and saying that a slow start from our goaltending (partially based on our horrendous defensive zone coverage and dozens of unforced turnovers), less than 10 games into a season, reflects the future value of a missed trade, is kind of ridiculous. I don't blame Gillis for asking for more from the Oilers, but I don't think anyone should really blame MacTavish for not giving up an arm and a leg extra.
You guys basically said, "we're not willing to pay the extra 2nd rounder and Marincin for a franchise goalie, from in division rival". Talk about pride getting in the way for a smart hockey decision.

I'd say it was a very reasonable offer, not a crazy over payment as most of you elude to.

Old
10-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Sens Mile

Please be true. Josh Rimer(Sportsnet) is reporting that Bryzgalov is the back up option if they are unable to acquire Miller.

I miss Bryz

Old
10-18-2013, 06:04 PM
iFan

As a Canuck fan and seen a lot of the Oilers goaltending isn't the biggest issue there, it's the whole team inability to play defense. They need a RoR a top 6 gritty two way forwards and need to work on bring more of them throughout their line up as is all they know know how to do is play offensively. They need a stud defense man and better two way guys throughout their line up more than trading one of their young stars for a goalie. Oilers need to trade maybe two of their young stars and some of their top prospects to bring in a stud D man a center like RoR/Kesler/Richards a guy who can play all 3 zones at high levels and brings grit and some better two way depth, their just too one dimensional and they not going anywhere with that culture.

Old
10-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Elimanator
Ducks Bandwagon 2014

vCash: 900
Elliot for RNH or Elliot for a 1st rounder

Old
10-18-2013, 06:35 PM
haterbehatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elimanator View Post
Elliot for RNH or Elliot for a 1st rounder
"Elimanator was banned for this post" is the only appropriate response to that.

Old
10-18-2013, 06:37 PM
SupremeTeam16

Oilers definitely have holes to fill, and I agree with moving one of Eberle or Yakupov to fill those but as of right now the team has lost all confidence in the goalies. I mean when you are giving up 4-5-6 goals on under 30 shots (Oil have only surrendered over 30 to VAN and NYI) then it's pretty hard for a team to win a game like that, you almost have to go into a mode of outscoring opponents and players abandon any sort of two way game when that happens.

Closed Thread