HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 7) Can't Win Olympic Games Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2013, 07:02 PM
habsfanatics*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I improved it by adding the D.

And so far the board has been pretty much in agreement on the games.

Limited way of doing it? Maybe. But I think that it lends itself a little better to folks agreeing on what went on at least from a general perspective. Folks couldn't agree on the word 'mediocre' so how are they going to react when I grade it a six when they think it should be a 7 or a 5?

Sometimes simple is better and I think this is one of those cases.
You're doing fine.

Old
10-31-2013, 07:05 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, another example of "objective data" is Montreal leading the league in blocked shots by an appreciable margin. The goalies have been the biggest difference so far, though, I think most of us agree.
I'm a big supporter of our d, but the trend has become troublesome imo. Blocking shots isn't a good indicator of strong defense, it has no correlation with wins at all, it might even have a slight correlation with losses, which makes sense, when you're blocking a high number of shots, it means you're without possession of the puck.

The team has struggled in possession/defense compared to last year imo. It's mostly strong goaltending holding the fort for now.

Last edited by habsfanatics*: 10-31-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old
10-31-2013, 07:09 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Haven't seen many people credit Carey Price for the improvement in the penalty kill, this is kind of a strawman.

I think many people said that the Habs defense played well on the whole last season until the team lost Emelin and Diaz went down, so again a little misleading.

The defense has been inconsistent all season long outside of the last two games, and they were a legitimate concern moving forward. Remember even Elliot Freidman reported that Bergevin this season looked into acquiring a defenseman to help out the backend. Also, are you really going to hold the position that the defense has played well this season? They've been below average on most nights, almost all the wins the team had on the West Coast trip came because of solid play by the goaltenders who bail the team out. Also it's not like the Canadiens have played world beaters yet, they've had a very lax schedule thus far, they've only played 4 teams currently holding a playoff position.
I've been saying from the start that the SV % on the PK would likely regress closer to normal and that the PK would recover automatically. Sure adjustments have been made, but barely above .800 SV% on the PK was never going to continue. The PK would have improved without any changes imo. Price's SV % on the PK last year was an anomaly imo, out of his control for the most part.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Here's what I've learned from this thread.

1) Last year Carey Price was a victim of a bad penalty killing unit
2) This year's improved penalty killing unit is because of Carey Price

a) last year the team was near the best in the league in shots against, but that has nothing to do with quality of defence.
b) this year the habs are giving up higher shot totals which is absolute proof of a low quality defence.

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried but at least one member can.
You said yourself the defense last year was top-10 and I dont know what you use to come up with that but I assume it was the low SA/G. This year you said the D is off to a good start despite being in the bottom third of the league for SA/G. Perhaps you could explain a bit further to avoid teaching us a great lesson that you seem to frown upon in your post.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Lafleurs Guy

So... Price's stat line for tonight was GAA 4.06 and sv pctg .840.

Anyone else think that he played better than that stat line suggested? I actually thought he played pretty well...

Let the flaming begin.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Anyone else think that he played better than that stat line suggested? I actually thought he played pretty well...

Let the flaming begin.
Thought he was mediocre, but definitely not nearly as bad as the stat line looks. Don't think he could have made himself any smaller on two of the goals, but then again one was a breakaway, so how much are you gonna fault the guy, really.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:12 PM
pine*

Stats would say terrible.
But I think his play was average. Does he want one or two goals back? Sure. But defense hung him out to dry with breakdowns all over the place, our 4th line got exposed and he couldn't save the day. It happens.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
Quote:

Let the flaming begin.
plz tell me your just trying to troll the haters.

He was left alone all by himself so the goals were not his fault.

But I wasn't impressed with his reaction time either.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
plz tell me your just trying to troll the haters.

He was left alone so the goals were not his fault.

But I wasn't impressed with his reaction time either.
I thought he played well tonight. It reminded me of the Toronto game where we had some lousy bounces and that's what happened tonight. I felt like he could've done better on the breakaway goal but for the most part they were tough stops.

At the very least he was a hell of a lot better than the stat line suggests.

I also think the we actually played a decent game too. Had some defensive breakdowns but I don't think we played a bad game. Wild capitalized on everything though. Sometimes that's just how it goes...

Old
11-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Thought he was mediocre, but definitely not nearly as bad as the stat line looks. Don't think he could have made himself any smaller on two of the goals, but then again one was a breakaway, so how much are you gonna fault the guy, really.
Funny enough, I thought the breakaway was probably the worst goal he let in. And I really don't think we played all that bad a game. Made a couple of mistakes and they went in the net.

I'll probably say Mediocre/Mediocre on both because if I say good folks will freak out. But I really don't think he played a bad game.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Funny enough, I thought the breakaway was probably the worst goal he let in. And I really don't think we played all that bad a game. Made a couple of mistakes and they went in the net.

I'll probably say Mediocre/Mediocre on both because if I say good folks will freak out. But I really don't think he played a bad game.
Ultimately it's hard to polish 4 goals on 23 shots, but I know what you're saying, and I agree.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:33 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

I'd use mediocre or average for Price. Goals were not his fault but he did nothing to contribute to a win, any goalie in the league could have done what he did for us tonight.. the D was horrific.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'd use mediocre or average for Price. Goals were not his fault but he did nothing to contribute to a win, any goalie in the league could have done what he did for us tonight.. the D was horrific.
I think the D made some horrific plays but I didn't think we played that bad on the backend. I would've said mediocre due to the mistakes...

Old
11-01-2013, 10:36 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Quote:
I think the D made some horrific plays but I didn't think we played that bad on the backend. I would've said mediocre due to the mistakes...
Well, if you're saying the 4 goals are legitimate scoring chances.. well 3/4 were.. I'd say the D was horrific. We didn't give up a volume of chances but we gave up too many critical chances at the worst moments.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Andy

I would go Price mediocre - Defense Mediocre - Boullion sucks

Old
11-01-2013, 10:42 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I would go Price mediocre - Defense Mediocre - Boullion sucks
If we add Therrion sucks, I'm 100% behind it.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Game 1: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 2: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 3: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 4: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 5: Price Good, Defense Bad - Win
Game 6: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Win
Game 7: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 8: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 9: Price Mediocre, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 10: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 11: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 12: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 13: Price Mediocre, Defense Mediocre - Loss

Oh and Therrien sucks.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:17 AM
NLHabsFan

I don't think Price played bad, but we needed him to make those saves for the 5min the 4th line was used and killed. Not bad goals given up, but needed him to save that terrible trio and 3rd pairing D for us to win tonight. Move on to the next game, will be tougher.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
People are still debating whether or not Price is good?
Just the few with an agenda.

Price has been great this year.

6th in sv %, and this is after a (statistically) bad game

For those who still don't like him, who would you rather have? Someone said Crawford last year...

Old
11-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post

For those who still don't like him, who would you rather have? Someone said Crawford last year...
Came into last night's game with .946. After last night it's .939.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Pi

As an outsider, I really don't get the Carey bashing at all.

Let's assume that Carey Price is traded. Who starts in net? Is Peter Budaj the goalie of the future ? No one in UFA as good as Price, even another goalie through trade isn't exactly worth pursuing because they won't be much better than Price, if at all.

I guess I just think that there isn't much of a difference between the best goalie in the league and a top 10-15 goalie. It all just depends on how you play in front of that goalie that matters the most.

Carey Price is the best option for the Habs in net, AINEC. He has shown he can play 70 games, he's shown that he can be consistent (although he can be a bit better in that department) and he's shown he can steal games on his own (the game against Vancouver was a pretty good example of how well Price played).

People forget Price is only 26. Most 26 year old goalies have been in the league for 2-4 years at most and only been a starter for 1-2 of those. Carey is different than most goalies out there in the NHL.

What more do you want from a #1 goalie? It really doesn't get much better than that.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
As an outsider, I really don't get the Carey bashing at all.

Let's assume that Carey Price is traded. Who starts in net? Is Peter Budaj the goalie of the future ? No one in UFA as good as Price, even another goalie through trade isn't exactly worth pursuing because they won't be much better than Price, if at all.

I guess I just think that there isn't much of a difference between the best goalie in the league and a top 10-15 goalie. It all just depends on how you play in front of that goalie that matters the most.

Carey Price is the best option for the Habs in net, AINEC. He has shown he can play 70 games, he's shown that he can be consistent (although he can be a bit better in that department) and he's shown he can steal games on his own (the game against Vancouver was a pretty good example of how well Price played).

People forget Price is only 26. Most 26 year old goalies have been in the league for 2-4 years at most and only been a starter for 1-2 of those. Carey is different than most goalies out there in the NHL.

What more do you want from a #1 goalie? It really doesn't get much better than that.
I agree with everything here, especially the bolded.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Draft

Quote:

Oh and Therrien sucks.
I thought the defence was really bad last game. I'm not sure Price even had a chance on 3/4 of the goals.

Old
11-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:

Oh and Therrien sucks.
I don't quite agree with all those adjectives. Some of them should be downgraded to mediocre but why split hairs.

I think a better comparison would be to keep track of how times Price was outplayed by the opposing goalie.

Having said that I don't believe we lost last night because of Price. We didn't win and he was one of the many reasons.

Another thought occurred to me. If Price is selected as the #1 goalie for Team Canada and he soils his underwear - like I suspect he will - will you guys blame Team Canada's defence?

Old
11-02-2013, 01:27 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post

My issue with the save % is it only seems to count depending on which side of the Price discussion you're on.

Closed Thread