HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 7) Can't Win Olympic Games Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Gustave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
So, do you have a vote for tonight?
Average for Ned, Good D all around.

Old
11-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Lafleurs Guy

2 x mediocre for Budaj
2 x good for Budaj
4 x good for the D

Old
11-29-2013, 09:10 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Good/good despite the loss. You need three goals to win, and we didn't get that.

Old
11-29-2013, 11:09 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

i'd give budaj a mediocre. Lacklustre in the s/o and that 1st goal... you can say there was a miscommunication there, but show some ****ing urgency. Jesus. Defense played well.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
11-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
So I'm assuming that Oshi is voting for 'good', so am I.
I'm as close to on the fence as it can get, honestly. I get the shootout thing, but in the name of consistency I'm trying to figure out the difference between Budaj's 65+ minutes last night and Price's 65+ minutes against the Blues on the 5th. In both games the first goal against was the result of a gaff behind the net, they allowed the tying goal in the 3rd, shut the door in overtime, and lost the shootout, etc. All else being relatively equal, I guess if you're mediocre at the most critical point in the game you can't argue against the mediocre grade. Thought he got beaten by good shots, though.

Old
11-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'm as close to on the fence as it can get, honestly. I get the shootout thing, but in the name of consistency I'm trying to figure out the difference between Budaj's 65+ minutes last night and Price's 65+ minutes against the Blues on the 5th. In both games the first goal against was the result of a gaff behind the net, they allowed the tying goal in the 3rd, shut the door in overtime, and lost the shootout, etc. All else being relatively equal, I guess if you're mediocre at the most critical point in the game you can't argue against the mediocre grade. Thought he got beaten by good shots, though.
Except that we didn't score one goal in the Shootout versus the Blues, whereas we scored 2 yesterday.

Old
11-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Except that we didn't score one goal in the Shootout versus the Blues, whereas we scored 2 yesterday.
Not sure how that, specifically, impacts the grade of our goalie's performance.

Old
11-30-2013, 07:36 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Seems pretty cut and dry, Budaj gave a goal away in this game and was supported in the shootout with some goals and lost.

Old
11-30-2013, 07:44 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Not sure how that, specifically, impacts the grade of our goalie's performance.
You don't understand how saving 2 shots out of 3 in the shootouts as opposed to 1 out of 5 impacts the final grade of a goalie?..
We're talking about an instance where your goalie is 100% relied upon...

Old
11-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
One big difference would be the first goal. In the Blues game our D coughs up the puck behind our own net in pathetic play. In last night's game the first goal is on Budaj.

And (I know you disagree) we played much worse against St. Louis than we did against the Caps last night. We were booed off the ice in the first period and the OT against the Blues. I still think the St. Louis game is one of the worst we played this year. Last night I thought we were the better team for the most part.
Quote:
Yeah, there's that too.

What's your vote Kriss?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Seems pretty cut and dry, Budaj gave a goal away in this game and was supported in the shootout with some goals and lost.
You want to provide a vote here?

Old
11-30-2013, 07:57 AM
CP31

Good D, Budaj WOULD have got a good, but the SO downgrades him to mediocre for me.

Old
11-30-2013, 08:04 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Quote:
Capitals were struggling to get any offense going then this happened:

vs

Budaj instigated the first gaff. Not sure how both are comparable.

Old
11-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Perrah

Quote:
One big difference would be the first goal. In the Blues game our D coughs up the puck behind our own net in pathetic play. In last night's game the first goal is on Budaj.

And (I know you disagree) we played much worse against St. Louis than we did against the Caps last night. We were booed off the ice in the first period and the OT against the Blues. I still think the St. Louis game is one of the worst we played this year. Last night I thought we were the better team for the most part.

Yeah, there's that too.

What's your vote Kriss?

You want to provide a vote here?
I would say closer to average than mediocre.

Old
11-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Mediocre it is.

Old
11-30-2013, 08:09 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Game 1: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 2: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 3: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 4: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 5: Price Good, Defense Bad - Win
Game 6: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Win
Game 7: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 8: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 9: Price Mediocre, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 10: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 11: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 12: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 13: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 14: Price Mediocre, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 15: Budaj Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 16: Price Good, Defense Bad - SO Loss (1 point)
Game 17: Price Mediocre, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 18: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 19: Price God, Defense Bad - SO Loss (1 point)
Game 20: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 21: Price Good, Defense Good - Loss - Emelin Returns
Game 22: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 23: Budaj Good, Defense Mediocre - Win
Game 24: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 25: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 26: Budaj Mediocre, Defense Good - SO Loss

Subject to change if folks come in but for now consensus seems to be 'mediocre.'

Old
11-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
You don't understand how saving 2 shots out of 3 in the shootouts as opposed to 1 out of 5 impacts the final grade of a goalie?..
We're talking about an instance where your goalie is 100% relied upon...
At least now you're talking about it in terms of the goalies saving shots as opposed to the forwards scoring goals. Goalies don't take penalty shots, btw.

But details. Price only faced faced 2 shots and let 1 in, and Budaj only faced 4 shots, allowing 3. To be clear, both made only one save in their respective shootouts, and the difference was the shooters. I'm open to anyone who's willing to break down the errors either goalie actually made (if applicable) in these shootouts, though. Doubt I get any bites on that, lol. Surely it also matters that Ovechkin was one of the shooters who scored last night, for example. Also worth noting that Washington as a team is 15/27 in the shootout this year so far (56%) while St. Louis is 6/15 (40%), so it's not like all shots/shootout goals are equal.

Old
11-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
And (I know you disagree) we played much worse against St. Louis than we did against the Caps last night.
Woah, woah. I'll say nothing of the sort. Defensively I think both games deserve a "good", and it's just a matter of sorting out how much a puck handling miscue (blame Budaj, but someone should have been screaming that there was a forechecker blazing in on his blind side) and the shootout gimmick affects a goalie's overall grade at the end of a game. I've clearly accepted 'mediocre' as an "acceptable" grade in this case, and have agreed with the rationale behind it to an extent.

Old
11-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Woah, woah. I'll say nothing of the sort. Defensively I think both games deserve a "good", and it's just a matter of sorting out how much a puck handling miscue (blame Budaj, but someone should have been screaming that there was a forechecker blazing in on his blind side) and the shootout gimmick affects a goalie's overall grade at the end of a game.
Well, I voted 'good' for Budaj. One soft goal that was on him doesn't cancel out a good game in my opinion. And I agree he's facing crazy shooters in the shootout. I personally discount the shootout but I can see where people are coming from there.

I understand why people are voting mediocre and I'm going to respect the votes (just like I have for Price.) And they have a point that Budaj had a goal that's on him. D could've been better on that one? Sure. But that one's on Budaj for sure. The 2nd I didn't think he had much of a chance on. It was stoppable but I didn't think it was a bad goal.

Old
11-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I'll be watching the game tonight but won't be online. After the game post your votes here as usual. Go Habs Go!

Old
12-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Love crushing the Leafs.

Price had a bit of good fortune tonight. JVRD in the crease allows for one called back and his D actually bailed him out a few times tonight. He also got dummied by JVRD on the first Leaf goal (why play so low?) Still a good outing for him. And the D I would say was good.

So my vote is good/good.

Old
12-01-2013, 12:22 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Thought Price was a little nervous out there tonight. That early goal was just what the doctor ordered. He was making the saves but was letting out a few uncharacteristic rebounds. Got a bit of luck from the posts and missed opportunities too. Not his best game compared to what we've been seeing this year. Nice that once in a while we can look to a complete performance from everyone.

Old
12-01-2013, 01:56 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Thought Price was a little nervous out there tonight. That early goal was just what the doctor ordered. He was making the saves but was letting out a few uncharacteristic rebounds. Got a bit of luck from the posts and missed opportunities too. Not his best game compared to what we've been seeing this year. Nice that once in a while we can look to a complete performance from everyone.
...because he let out a "few uncharacteristic rebounds"? Really? Why would he be nervous when he and the team are playing so well?

He simply let out a few bad rebounds, it happens.

Old
12-01-2013, 02:17 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Performance: Price is hot (4-1-1, 1.48, .955 in last 6 GPI).

Old
12-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Saying Good/Good for now. Since Emelin's return the D has been very solid. Starting to get on a roll now.

Game 1: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 2: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 3: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 4: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 5: Price Good, Defense Bad - Win
Game 6: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Win
Game 7: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 8: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 9: Price Mediocre, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 10: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 11: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 12: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 13: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 14: Price Mediocre, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 15: Budaj Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 16: Price Good, Defense Bad - SO Loss (1 point)
Game 17: Price Mediocre, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 18: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 19: Price God, Defense Bad - SO Loss (1 point)
Game 20: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 21: Price Good, Defense Good - Loss - Emelin Returns
Game 22: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 23: Budaj Good, Defense Mediocre - Win
Game 24: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 25: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 26: Budaj Mediocre, Defense Good - SO Loss
Game 27: Price Good, Defense Good - Win

Old
12-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
...because he let out a "few uncharacteristic rebounds"? Really? Why would he be nervous when he and the team are playing so well?

He simply let out a few bad rebounds, it happens.
He was good but seemed a little shaky. Not his best performance of the year but he was still solid.

Closed Thread