HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 7) Can't Win Olympic Games Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Pretty badly outplayed for probably two periods. We looked bad for two periods but goaltending held us in. In the third we were much better.

Price was strong and got some help from Subban who may have saved one goal let alone two.

I'd say: Price good, defense mediocre.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Luiginho
Captain Saku

Why not say average or okay instead of mediocre? Mediocre sounds more negative. For instance I didn't think Budaj was 'mediocre' in his last game, he was okay.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:34 PM
CP31

Good/good

Old
12-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Why not say average or okay instead of mediocre? Mediocre sounds more negative. For instance I didn't think Budaj was 'mediocre' in his last game, he was okay.
It probably sounds more negative to you because you're a franco, right?

Old
12-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Sorry, those are the options. And that's how I'd describe our game tonight. We were outplayed for most of it and quite frankly didn't deserve to win this one. Some nice plays by PK and a good third period saves it from bad to mediocre in my opinion.

We didn't play a good game tonight. That wasn't an average game... it was mediocre.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:41 PM
macavoy

Defence was definately mediocre compared to the past 5 games. Both us and the devils sucked at clearing our zone and did little to help our goalies on rebounds, luckily most of them ended up in non chances.

So Goalie good, defence mediocre.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Habnot

Not to denigrate the effort - put this has become quite the useless thread - a place to argue about semantics.

Who I am kidding - I thought this thread was useless from the very start :smile:

Old
12-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Not to denigrate the effort - put this has become quite the useless thread - a place to argue about semantics.

Who I am kidding - I thought this thread was useless from the very start :smile:
Threads on players always become useless when the player is doing well. What's there to talk about? "Hey, that guy is great..." "Yeah he is..."

Don't worry, this thread will get busy again sooner or later. 'Cause sooner or later Price will have some bad starts and some folks will forget how he's played so far. So at least we're tracking the games now.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Luiginho
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Sorry, those are the options. And that's how I'd describe our game tonight. We were outplayed for most of it and quite frankly didn't deserve to win this one. Some nice plays by PK and a good third period saves it from bad to mediocre in my opinion.

We didn't play a good game tonight. That wasn't an average game... it was mediocre.
Post was not targeted at you. Was just talking from a languistic pov. As Lars Mon Amour suggested, french is more my first language, in my mind mediocre = below average.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Post was not targeted at you. Was just talking from a languistic pov. As Lars Mon Amour suggested, french is more my first language, in my mind mediocre = below average.
Mediocre is kind of... meh, coulda done better. I suppose it could mean average. Its just there to give an 'in between' for Good or Bad.

Old
12-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Mediocre is kind of... meh, coulda done better. I suppose it could mean average. Its just there to give an 'in between' for Good or Bad.
In my book, mediocre is below bad, an in between assessment would be average I guess.

Now, onto Carey, apparently Brodeur thinks the Job is Luongo's to lose when it comes to the #1 spot on TC. Personally, I think that it's complete dinosaur mentality to go for "experience" rather than actual proficiency.

After a third of the season Carey Price is definitely miles ahead of Luongo when it comes to performance. He is red hot and unless he completely crumbles, there is no doubt in my mind that he should be TC's #1.

He has experience on the international level, he's been a playoff MVP and he's a very big part of why the Habs are sitting in 3rd pace in the eastern conference standings. In fact, he's already being considered an early Vezina winner/candidate by many in the hockey world.

So yeah... CAREY! CAREY! CAREY! CAREY!

Edit: Link to Brodeur's statement (in French): http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/LN.../163584/public

Old
12-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
ALL i wanted was for Carey to BE on the team at all, there were a lot of goalies that could of been considered as the top 2 going into this season and now im just glad we finally know 100% who that top 2 is going to be, and im thrilled carey is a mortal LOCK to make this team now

as for starting? thats entirely up to management and luongo and carey's oppurtunities that may be given

maybe each goalie will get 3 round robin games each, and they'll decide who the starter is based on those games, lets just hope carey outshines lungo just enough to get that starting job. Because unfortunately as things are the way they stand, barring an injury to luongo (miraculous as it would be), its Luongo's to lose.

Im just proud Carey has gotten it to a point where you absolutely cannot leave him off the team

Old
12-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
ALL i wanted was for Carey to BE on the team at all, there were a lot of goalies that could of been considered as the top 2 going into this season and now im just glad we finally know 100% who that top 2 is going to be, and im thrilled carey is a mortal LOCK to make this team now

as for starting? thats entirely up to management and luongo and carey's oppurtunities that may be given

maybe each goalie will get 3 round robin games each, and they'll decide who the starter is based on those games, lets just hope carey outshines lungo just enough to get that starting job. Because unfortunately as things are the way they stand, barring an injury to luongo (miraculous as it would be), its Luongo's to lose.

Im just proud Carey has gotten it to a point where you absolutely cannot leave him off the team
Sums it up nicely. Going into the season Price was not a lock to be a part of this team. He's worked his way onto it with a solid and consistent campaign and I presume the required dedication and hard work.

By their play this year it's very possible that Price and Luongo have switched places in the #1/#2 ranking, there is more to be played but Price has given Canada management something serious to think about. If Canada goes with the hot hand it's Price, if they take a longer term view it will definitely be Luongo. Problem with an elimination tournament it's tougher to go with hunches over proven track record.

Old
12-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

I'm gladly posting that SO FAR Price has proven me wrong. I hope he can continue with this excellent play.

I don't know if it's Waite's influence or simply maturity but I see a different Price in nets. Right now he's the best Canuck goalie and one of the top goalies in the league. He should be number one on Team Canuck.

Old
12-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I'm gladly posting that SO FAR Price has proven me wrong. I hope he can continue with this excellent play.

I don't know if it's Waite's influence or simply maturity but I see a different Price in nets. Right now he's the best Canuck goalie and one of the top goalies in the league. He should be number one on Team Canuck.
Don't call us that, plz.

Old
12-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
In my book, mediocre is below bad
Well, that's not the case in either of Canada's official languages, so...

How about everyone, regardless of 1st language, just wrap your brains around the fact that there's good, bad, and mediocre in between.

Old
12-03-2013, 03:50 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
In my book, mediocre is below bad, an in between assessment would be average I guess.

Now, onto Carey, apparently Brodeur thinks the Job is Luongo's to lose when it comes to the #1 spot on TC. Personally, I think that it's complete dinosaur mentality to go for "experience" rather than actual proficiency.

After a third of the season Carey Price is definitely miles ahead of Luongo when it comes to performance. He is red hot and unless he completely crumbles, there is no doubt in my mind that he should be TC's #1.

He has experience on the international level, he's been a playoff MVP and he's a very big part of why the Habs are sitting in 3rd pace in the eastern conference standings. In fact, he's already being considered an early Vezina winner/candidate by many in the hockey world.

Edit: Link to Brodeur's statement (in French): http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/LN.../163584/public
What book is your book, exactly? below bad? In english, it is average, in french, it is just below average. We've had this conversation before.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Game 1: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 2: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 3: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 4: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 5: Price Good, Defense Bad - Win
Game 6: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Win
Game 7: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 8: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 9: Price Mediocre, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 10: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 11: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 12: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 13: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 14: Price Mediocre, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 15: Budaj Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 16: Price Good, Defense Bad - SO Loss (1 point)
Game 17: Price Mediocre, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 18: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 19: Price God, Defense Bad - SO Loss (1 point)
Game 20: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 21: Price Good, Defense Good - Loss - Emelin Returns
Game 22: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 23: Budaj Good, Defense Mediocre - Win
Game 24: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 25: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 26: Budaj Mediocre, Defense Good - SO Loss
Game 27: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Win

Old
12-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Camio

Quote:

Its not so much a Luongo/Price debate. Luongo shouldnt even make the team. Maybe as a 3rd, thats it.

Harding, based on the numbers, is the main threat to Price. A 29 years old backup for all his career who got to play some games this year because the number 1 went down. There's no way he's even considered.

Fleury and Crawford will get selected before he ever does. I wonder how Price would look with the Hawks?

It has to be between Price and Fleury at this point. Based on Fleury's play last couple years in the playoffs, I bet they go with Price.

Canada won in 2010 despite average/slightly above average goalie play. Lets avoid making the same mistake twice. I'm referring here to Brodeur being given the number 1 spot in 2010 even tho he didnt deserved it. Giving it to Luongo this time around would be repeating the exact same mistake.

Old
12-03-2013, 10:29 PM
TheGoalJudge

Price is a lock. Has the history, pedigree, numbers and current form.

Old
12-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Camio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camio View Post
Canada won in 2010 despite average/slightly above average goalie play. Lets avoid making the same mistake twice. I'm referring here to Brodeur being given the number 1 spot in 2010 even tho he didnt deserved it. Giving it to Luongo this time around would be repeating the exact same mistake.
Cant edit, so quoting myself!

Luongo wasnt even in the top 3 goalies in that tournament. He doesnt deserve jack.

Heck, in Russia, if he sees a Kings or Hawks jersey in the stands, he'd get pulled in the first period after having given up 4 goals or so

Old
12-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I don't blame Brodeur for his comments. That's his opinion and he's welcome to it. Right now though I don't see how we could go with anyone but Price.

Always subject to change but right now Price has to be the guy.

Old
12-03-2013, 11:57 PM
ScottFC

I think Brodeur is 100% on this. After winning gold Luongo does deserve a shot at #1 but if he shows any signs of weakness, even in a meaningless game, then Price should get a shot.

Old
12-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Plante
Ex Jr. B Goaler

Mediocre means average in the english language, not below average.

Old
12-04-2013, 12:53 AM
KareyPrice

I can't remember but didn't Price finally get married this past summer? Because I think we found the reason for his success. Either way he's been playing lights out and it's awesome wearing my Price jersey out around Toronto!

Closed Thread