HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 7) Can't Win Olympic Games Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2013, 09:30 PM
  #701
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,236
vCash: 500
Pretty badly outplayed for probably two periods. We looked bad for two periods but goaltending held us in. In the third we were much better.

Price was strong and got some help from Subban who may have saved one goal let alone two.

I'd say: Price good, defense mediocre.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 09:34 PM
  #702
Luiginho
Captain Saku
 
Luiginho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 13,910
vCash: 500
Why not say average or okay instead of mediocre? Mediocre sounds more negative. For instance I didn't think Budaj was 'mediocre' in his last game, he was okay.

Luiginho is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 09:34 PM
  #703
CP31
Registered User
 
CP31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Welland, ON
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 500
Good/good

CP31 is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 09:36 PM
  #704
Price My Man Crush
Registered User
 
Price My Man Crush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Why not say average or okay instead of mediocre? Mediocre sounds more negative. For instance I didn't think Budaj was 'mediocre' in his last game, he was okay.
It probably sounds more negative to you because you're a franco, right?

Price My Man Crush is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 09:37 PM
  #705
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Why not say average or okay instead of mediocre? Mediocre sounds more negative. For instance I didn't think Budaj was 'mediocre' in his last game, he was okay.
Sorry, those are the options. And that's how I'd describe our game tonight. We were outplayed for most of it and quite frankly didn't deserve to win this one. Some nice plays by PK and a good third period saves it from bad to mediocre in my opinion.

We didn't play a good game tonight. That wasn't an average game... it was mediocre.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 09:41 PM
  #706
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,942
vCash: 500
Defence was definately mediocre compared to the past 5 games. Both us and the devils sucked at clearing our zone and did little to help our goalies on rebounds, luckily most of them ended up in non chances.

So Goalie good, defence mediocre.

macavoy is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 10:07 PM
  #707
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,130
vCash: 500
Not to denigrate the effort - put this has become quite the useless thread - a place to argue about semantics.

Who I am kidding - I thought this thread was useless from the very start :smile:

Habnot is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 10:11 PM
  #708
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Not to denigrate the effort - put this has become quite the useless thread - a place to argue about semantics.

Who I am kidding - I thought this thread was useless from the very start :smile:
Threads on players always become useless when the player is doing well. What's there to talk about? "Hey, that guy is great..." "Yeah he is..."

Don't worry, this thread will get busy again sooner or later. 'Cause sooner or later Price will have some bad starts and some folks will forget how he's played so far. So at least we're tracking the games now.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 10:26 PM
  #709
Luiginho
Captain Saku
 
Luiginho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 13,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Sorry, those are the options. And that's how I'd describe our game tonight. We were outplayed for most of it and quite frankly didn't deserve to win this one. Some nice plays by PK and a good third period saves it from bad to mediocre in my opinion.

We didn't play a good game tonight. That wasn't an average game... it was mediocre.
Post was not targeted at you. Was just talking from a languistic pov. As Lars Mon Amour suggested, french is more my first language, in my mind mediocre = below average.

Luiginho is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 10:56 PM
  #710
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Post was not targeted at you. Was just talking from a languistic pov. As Lars Mon Amour suggested, french is more my first language, in my mind mediocre = below average.
Mediocre is kind of... meh, coulda done better. I suppose it could mean average. Its just there to give an 'in between' for Good or Bad.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 11:29 AM
  #711
Strik_IX
No excuses!
 
Strik_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Mediocre is kind of... meh, coulda done better. I suppose it could mean average. Its just there to give an 'in between' for Good or Bad.
In my book, mediocre is below bad, an in between assessment would be average I guess.

Now, onto Carey, apparently Brodeur thinks the Job is Luongo's to lose when it comes to the #1 spot on TC. Personally, I think that it's complete dinosaur mentality to go for "experience" rather than actual proficiency.

After a third of the season Carey Price is definitely miles ahead of Luongo when it comes to performance. He is red hot and unless he completely crumbles, there is no doubt in my mind that he should be TC's #1.

He has experience on the international level, he's been a playoff MVP and he's a very big part of why the Habs are sitting in 3rd pace in the eastern conference standings. In fact, he's already being considered an early Vezina winner/candidate by many in the hockey world.

So yeah... CAREY! CAREY! CAREY! CAREY!


Edit: Link to Brodeur's statement (in French): http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/LN.../163584/public

Strik_IX is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 12:22 PM
  #712
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,185
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
ALL i wanted was for Carey to BE on the team at all, there were a lot of goalies that could of been considered as the top 2 going into this season and now im just glad we finally know 100% who that top 2 is going to be, and im thrilled carey is a mortal LOCK to make this team now

as for starting? thats entirely up to management and luongo and carey's oppurtunities that may be given

maybe each goalie will get 3 round robin games each, and they'll decide who the starter is based on those games, lets just hope carey outshines lungo just enough to get that starting job. Because unfortunately as things are the way they stand, barring an injury to luongo (miraculous as it would be), its Luongo's to lose.

Im just proud Carey has gotten it to a point where you absolutely cannot leave him off the team

Redux91 is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 12:55 PM
  #713
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
ALL i wanted was for Carey to BE on the team at all, there were a lot of goalies that could of been considered as the top 2 going into this season and now im just glad we finally know 100% who that top 2 is going to be, and im thrilled carey is a mortal LOCK to make this team now

as for starting? thats entirely up to management and luongo and carey's oppurtunities that may be given

maybe each goalie will get 3 round robin games each, and they'll decide who the starter is based on those games, lets just hope carey outshines lungo just enough to get that starting job. Because unfortunately as things are the way they stand, barring an injury to luongo (miraculous as it would be), its Luongo's to lose.

Im just proud Carey has gotten it to a point where you absolutely cannot leave him off the team
Sums it up nicely. Going into the season Price was not a lock to be a part of this team. He's worked his way onto it with a solid and consistent campaign and I presume the required dedication and hard work.

By their play this year it's very possible that Price and Luongo have switched places in the #1/#2 ranking, there is more to be played but Price has given Canada management something serious to think about. If Canada goes with the hot hand it's Price, if they take a longer term view it will definitely be Luongo. Problem with an elimination tournament it's tougher to go with hunches over proven track record.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 01:03 PM
  #714
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice
 
Habs Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,172
vCash: 500
I'm gladly posting that SO FAR Price has proven me wrong. I hope he can continue with this excellent play.

I don't know if it's Waite's influence or simply maturity but I see a different Price in nets. Right now he's the best Canuck goalie and one of the top goalies in the league. He should be number one on Team Canuck.

Habs Icing is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 01:06 PM
  #715
Strik_IX
No excuses!
 
Strik_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I'm gladly posting that SO FAR Price has proven me wrong. I hope he can continue with this excellent play.

I don't know if it's Waite's influence or simply maturity but I see a different Price in nets. Right now he's the best Canuck goalie and one of the top goalies in the league. He should be number one on Team Canuck.
Don't call us that, plz.

Strik_IX is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 03:48 PM
  #716
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 29,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
In my book, mediocre is below bad
Well, that's not the case in either of Canada's official languages, so...

How about everyone, regardless of 1st language, just wrap your brains around the fact that there's good, bad, and mediocre in between.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 03:50 PM
  #717
overlords
youmyboyblou!
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Planet Squanch
Posts: 26,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
In my book, mediocre is below bad, an in between assessment would be average I guess.

Now, onto Carey, apparently Brodeur thinks the Job is Luongo's to lose when it comes to the #1 spot on TC. Personally, I think that it's complete dinosaur mentality to go for "experience" rather than actual proficiency.

After a third of the season Carey Price is definitely miles ahead of Luongo when it comes to performance. He is red hot and unless he completely crumbles, there is no doubt in my mind that he should be TC's #1.

He has experience on the international level, he's been a playoff MVP and he's a very big part of why the Habs are sitting in 3rd pace in the eastern conference standings. In fact, he's already being considered an early Vezina winner/candidate by many in the hockey world.

So yeah... CAREY! CAREY! CAREY! CAREY!


Edit: Link to Brodeur's statement (in French): http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/LN.../163584/public
What book is your book, exactly? below bad? In english, it is average, in french, it is just below average. We've had this conversation before.

overlords is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 09:50 PM
  #718
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,236
vCash: 500
Game 1: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 2: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 3: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 4: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 5: Price Good, Defense Bad - Win
Game 6: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Win
Game 7: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 8: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 9: Price Mediocre, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 10: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 11: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 12: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 13: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 14: Price Mediocre, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 15: Budaj Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 16: Price Good, Defense Bad - SO Loss (1 point)
Game 17: Price Mediocre, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 18: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 19: Price God, Defense Bad - SO Loss (1 point)
Game 20: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 21: Price Good, Defense Good - Loss - Emelin Returns
Game 22: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 23: Budaj Good, Defense Mediocre - Win
Game 24: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 25: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 26: Budaj Mediocre, Defense Good - SO Loss
Game 27: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Win

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 10:21 PM
  #719
Camio
Registered User
 
Camio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
In my book, mediocre is below bad, an in between assessment would be average I guess.

Now, onto Carey, apparently Brodeur thinks the Job is Luongo's to lose when it comes to the #1 spot on TC. Personally, I think that it's complete dinosaur mentality to go for "experience" rather than actual proficiency.

After a third of the season Carey Price is definitely miles ahead of Luongo when it comes to performance. He is red hot and unless he completely crumbles, there is no doubt in my mind that he should be TC's #1.

He has experience on the international level, he's been a playoff MVP and he's a very big part of why the Habs are sitting in 3rd pace in the eastern conference standings. In fact, he's already being considered an early Vezina winner/candidate by many in the hockey world.

So yeah... CAREY! CAREY! CAREY! CAREY!


Edit: Link to Brodeur's statement (in French): http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/LN.../163584/public
Its not so much a Luongo/Price debate. Luongo shouldnt even make the team. Maybe as a 3rd, thats it.

Harding, based on the numbers, is the main threat to Price. A 29 years old backup for all his career who got to play some games this year because the number 1 went down. There's no way he's even considered.

Fleury and Crawford will get selected before he ever does. I wonder how Price would look with the Hawks?

It has to be between Price and Fleury at this point. Based on Fleury's play last couple years in the playoffs, I bet they go with Price.

Canada won in 2010 despite average/slightly above average goalie play. Lets avoid making the same mistake twice. I'm referring here to Brodeur being given the number 1 spot in 2010 even tho he didnt deserved it. Giving it to Luongo this time around would be repeating the exact same mistake.

Camio is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 10:29 PM
  #720
TheGoalJudge
Registered User
 
TheGoalJudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,213
vCash: 500
Price is a lock. Has the history, pedigree, numbers and current form.

TheGoalJudge is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 10:34 PM
  #721
Camio
Registered User
 
Camio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camio View Post
Canada won in 2010 despite average/slightly above average goalie play. Lets avoid making the same mistake twice. I'm referring here to Brodeur being given the number 1 spot in 2010 even tho he didnt deserved it. Giving it to Luongo this time around would be repeating the exact same mistake.
Cant edit, so quoting myself!

Luongo wasnt even in the top 3 goalies in that tournament. He doesnt deserve jack.

Heck, in Russia, if he sees a Kings or Hawks jersey in the stands, he'd get pulled in the first period after having given up 4 goals or so

Camio is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 10:44 PM
  #722
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,236
vCash: 500
I don't blame Brodeur for his comments. That's his opinion and he's welcome to it. Right now though I don't see how we could go with anyone but Price.

Always subject to change but right now Price has to be the guy.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 11:57 PM
  #723
ScottFC
Registered User
 
ScottFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,269
vCash: 500
I think Brodeur is 100% on this. After winning gold Luongo does deserve a shot at #1 but if he shows any signs of weakness, even in a meaningless game, then Price should get a shot.

ScottFC is offline  
Old
12-04-2013, 12:47 AM
  #724
Plante
Ex Jr. B Goaler
 
Plante's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,985
vCash: 500
Mediocre means average in the english language, not below average.

Plante is offline  
Old
12-04-2013, 12:53 AM
  #725
KareyPrice
Registered User
 
KareyPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
I can't remember but didn't Price finally get married this past summer? Because I think we found the reason for his success. Either way he's been playing lights out and it's awesome wearing my Price jersey out around Toronto!

KareyPrice is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.