HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Therrien on Subban

Old
10-18-2013, 03:33 PM
ottawahabs

vCash: 500
Therrien on Subban

I know it has been discussed in previous thread, but I was just wondering how everyone felt about how reluctant Therrien seems to be about giving any kind of praise to Subban.

It seems that in press conferences, he does not hesitate to praise certain players, and often rightfully so (see Prust and Gallagher), but seems to take subtle jabs at Subban (see his comments after his penalty in Calgary or in the press conference after last night's game).

Now, today RDS published this article: http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/l...-vous-1.674746

For those that don't read French, Therrien claims that pairing Subban with Markov has given good results, since Andrei has been giving inspired play and Subban provides good offensive output. He then goes on to claim that throughout his career, Markov has made everyone of his defensive partners look good. Although that is true, I feel like he could've also complimented Subban a little more, especially given his level of play as of late.

Now, of course, as a fan, there are many important things I am ignorant of, and it may be that Subban thrives under that kind of pressure and it could be a strategy to keep him improving given his seemingly limitless potential, but I was just wondering how others felt about it.

ottawahabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:35 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Habs are winning
Subban is a PPG defenseman

who cares ?

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawahabs View Post
I know it has been discussed in previous thread, but I was just wondering how everyone felt about how reluctant Therrien seems to be about giving any kind of praise to Subban.

It seems that in press conferences, he does not hesitate to praise certain players, and often rightfully so (see Prust and Gallagher), but seems to take subtle jabs at Subban (see his comments after his penalty in Calgary or in the press conference after last night's game).

Now, today RDS published this article: http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/l...-vous-1.674746

For those that don't read French, Therrien claims that pairing Subban with Markov has given good results, since Andrei has been giving inspired play and Subban provides good offensive output. He then goes on to claim that throughout his career, Markov has made everyone of his defensive partners look good. Although that is true, I feel like he could've also complimented Subban a little more, especially given his level of play as of late.

Now, of course, as a fan, there are many important things I am ignorant of, and it may be that Subban thrives under that kind of pressure and it could be a strategy to keep him improving given his seemingly limitless potential, but I was just wondering how others felt about it.

Hum... A thread about speculative opinions? I think this will be closed

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Tusk

Just pushing Subban to be his best. It's working pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Habs are winning

who cares ?
And this too.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:38 PM
No Team Needed

As I said in another thread, it feels more like Therrien believes Subban can be the best player in the league and doesn't want to shower him with praise like others will. I recall him doing the same with Crosby. Crosby talks quite appreciative of Therrien. To us it's a headache because around the league Subban doesn't get enough credit but for PK, he probably enjoys the constant challenge of being better.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:38 PM
hockeyfan2k11

It's a chess game. It has to do with the impending negotiations on PK's next deal. Can't be too high on him...might come back to bite them

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:40 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It's a chess game. It has to do with the impending negotiations on PK's next deal. Can't be too high on him...might come back to bite them
must not have read what's in the link.

Pretty clear MT took the time to praise Markov more than anything else... sort of "don't forget, there's also Andrei playing on that pair".

Old
10-18-2013, 03:42 PM
ottawahabs

Quote:
Habs are winning

who cares ?
I do agree, and I am not half as critical of Therrien as many on here, I just felt like it was a subject that was interesting and worthy of conversation. If others don't feel the same way, so be it.

ottawahabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:43 PM
jwolf

Your point is valid; I've noticed the same, but Therrien has been notoriously hard on PK since his days on l'Antichambre. It's anyone's guess as to why. Regardless of whether we think it's fair treatment or not, the results are there, since PK is thriving.

This coaching strategy might be a contributing factor to Subban's rapid ascent to being among the elite D-men in the league.

Either that or Michel's a ****** nozzle... I could either way.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Smoky Thompson

Quote:
You answered your own question right there . Subban is a unique type of individual that simply does not need any praise.

On another note, how incredibly amazing has Subban been playing?? He was good last year, but now he's just on another level. It really raises the question of who actually is better than him? He truly is an elite player.

Smoky Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Therrien. Y U no respik Subban ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:47 PM
No Team Needed

Therrien has also said in the past that he likes his attitude and that he's an eager learner and that while he had the potential to be a dominant defenceman, he wanted him to first be a responsible defenceman. We're gonna give Subban a lot more slack than Therrien will because Therrien knows what elite looks like. He doesn't want Subban to just be good. He wants him to be elite. And while Subban won a Norris, that doesn't mean he can't be better. Subban always looks to be learning.

Also, we don't know how Subban prefers to be coached. Talking to his father, it seems like he grew up always being supported but pushed. That seems to be what Therrien does. "I know what you can do but I know you can do more".

I haven't seen Subban's ceiling yet. Therrien wants to get him there.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Kriss E

PK has been villain #1 since he got here. Now that he's the best in the NHL, some people want to be more protective of him.

But I do agree, PK seems to be getting a lot more criticism than others.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Your point is valid; I've noticed the same, but Therrien has been notoriously hard on PK since his days on l'Antichambre. It's anyone's guess as to why. Regardless of whether we think it's fair treatment or not, the results are there, since PK is thriving.

This coaching strategy might be a contributing factor to Subban's rapid ascent to being among the elite D-men in the league.

Either that or Michel's a ****** nozzle... I could either way.

Well if therrien is any smarter I dont think he will continue acting like subban is a monster that needs to be controled... cause eventually when it will go wrong (habs poor streak...) and it always happens in hockey you dont want subban against you... cause your gonna pay the price maybe he wants to do this to make sure the good habbits stay and he remains that player and more... like if he wins a second norris... lol but you knows really.

Montreal Impact FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:51 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
PK has been villain #1 since he got here. Now that he's the best in the NHL, some people want to be more protective of him.

But I do agree, PK seems to be getting a lot more criticism than others.
come on now...

Old
10-18-2013, 03:52 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
come on now...
You love P.K.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:54 PM
MXD

Quote:

First part : Therrien knows that Prust and Gallagher are playing the absolute best they possibly could. He also knows that Subban can be even better than he is at the moment.

Second part : I think he could've done a bit more (to congratulate Subban) indeed.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:54 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
You love P.K.
I'd love Patrick Traverse too if he was a PPG defenseman for us

Old
10-18-2013, 03:55 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
You love P.K.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:57 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

i'll take PK's competitive nature, fact he made it to the NHL (as a black male in a white "blue color" environment), PK's awesome parents and his insane off-ice dedication to physically being the best.

But yea i'm sure PK is who he is because he got a "character building" contract negotiation clinic and the motivational strategy of being undermined by his coach.....

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 03:59 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i'll take PK's competitive nature, fact he made it to the NHL (as a black male in a white "blue color" environment), PK's awesome parents and his insane off-ice dedication to physically being the best.

But yea i'm sure PK is who he is because he got a "character building" contract negotiation clinic and the motivational strategy of being undermined by his coach.....
wrong, if it wasnt for MT taking jabs at him all the time, the kid would be having a great start of the season...

Old
10-18-2013, 04:01 PM
bhuya71

Most NHL players need to be coddled or complimented to keep their confidence up.

Subban is not like most players and now that he knows what he's capable of, has always been confident and even cocky (cocky regarding his own skills imo which is very important since he goes out there and MAKES the right play instead of overthinking and losing a second).

Therrien doesn't need to praise PK because PK doesn't need praise to be PK...quite simple.

He'll thrive based on his own confidence and hard work which is what made him so good in the first place.

Price for example is the opposite...he can be so down on himself and fragile mentally (in spurts) that it DOES affect his game and you'll hear it in interviews...plus I'm a huge supporter of Carey but clearly he can be very rough on himself and he needs the confidence boost because he's his best when cocky.

Subban on the other hand is always cocky in regards to his own skills imo so he just goes out there and dominates because...he knows he can

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 04:02 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
wrong, if it wasnt for MT taking jabs at him all the time, the kid would be having a great start of the season...
wrong about what?

your use of sarcasm/trolling or whatever sucks.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 04:03 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
wrong about what?

your use of sarcasm/trolling or whatever sucks.
learn how to read.

Old
10-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Subban is the one doing the heavy lifting on that pairing without a doubt. That being said, it's a great idea to pair them because it allows Markov to focus on offense and Subban can support him on the D. Not sure what MT was implying here but if he thinks that it's the other way around then he's a tad bit crazy.

Somebody mentioned in another thread that this was how MT handled Crosby in his early yeas. Hopefully this is just a tactic because I really don't understand what this guy is doing right now. Esp since he's only giving PK 24 mins a night.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote