HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Brooks:Lou fought against the new free agency system

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2005, 06:06 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

vCash: 500
Brooks:Lou fought against the new free agency system

Quote:
LOU LAMORIELLO, the only legitimate hockey man invited by the NHL to sit on its side of the table in executive-committee labor negotiations with the NHLPA, voiced strenuous objections to granting radically liberalized free agency to the players, a source familiar with the sessions yesterday told The Post.

Lamoriello's concerns, however, were ignored by commissioner Gary Bettman and the other executive members of the Board negotiating party, who, we're told, were only too willing and eager to trade free agency in exchange for the PA's commitment to accept a hard-cap link to payroll beginning at 54 percent of the gross
http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/26009.htm

Look at the some of the players who will be true free agents in the very near future?Joe Thornton and Vinny Lecavalier next summer.Brad Richards in two years.Ilya Kovalchuk in three.Marian Hossa and Zdeno Chara next summer.Martin Havlat in two years.Patrick Marleau next summer.Brad Stuart and Roberto Loungo in two years.Scott Gomez in two years

Old
07-15-2005, 06:34 AM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy

Look at the some of the players who will be true free agents in the very near future?Joe Thornton and Vinny Lecavalier next summer.Brad Richards in two years.Ilya Kovalchuk in three.Marian Hossa and Zdeno Chara next summer.Martin Havlat in two years.Patrick Marleau next summer.Brad Stuart and Roberto Loungo in two years.Scott Gomez in two years
So there will be good players available. The difference is that the teams that have them now can sucessfully bid for their services again in all likelihood. If they are a well run organization that treats players well they can expect to not lose these players. It becomes much more about organizational respect now IMO.

Old
07-15-2005, 06:36 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 579
What concession would Lou liked to give up in order for less liberalized free agency.

Fans don't like it. I don't like it but it is a fair trade off.

Old
07-15-2005, 06:46 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

A team like Ottawa is going to be broken up in the future.They have so much talent which they will not be able to keep together when players such as Chara,Hossa and Havlat are available in the open market with those players entering their prime

Old
07-15-2005, 07:23 AM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Quote:
A team like Ottawa is going to be broken up in the future.They have so much talent which they will not be able to keep together when players such as Chara,Hossa and Havlat are available in the open market with those players entering their prime
Theres the challenge, keeping the right talent.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:34 AM
LordHelmet

but, but, but... Icon and the Bettman shills say that lower UFA age doesn't mean anything for the players...

Sure, in two years Carolina or Pittsburgh would have enough cap room to fit a Thornton or Chara under their cap, but you know what? They'd still lose money. Lots of good that salary cap does them..

Old
07-15-2005, 07:46 AM
hockeytown9321

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum
The difference is that the teams that have them now can sucessfully bid for their services again in all likelihood.
The difference is those teams now have to bid for those players services, instead of just giving them a little more than their qualifying offer, with no real risk of losing them. Now there's risk.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Pepper

Quote:
For the love of god, how many times you need to be told that they wouldn't have been able to do that under previous CBA either!!

Melnyk might be a billionaire but it's not like he was going to shell out enough money to afford that $60M group of players they would have become under the old CBA.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:48 AM
porknbeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
For the love of god, how many times you need to be told that they wouldn't have been able to do that under previous CBA either!!

Melnyk might be a billionaire but it's not like he was going to shell out enough money to afford that $60M group of players they would have become under the old CBA.
Stop posting. You don't make any sense.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:50 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredsensfan
Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
This from the prophet of Senators Doom and Gloom under the new CBA.

Old
07-15-2005, 08:13 AM
porknbeans

Quote:
Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.
if you think this CBA is good , AT ALL for any of the small markets, you are even more dense and less informed than I originally thought. And I didn't think that was possible.

Old
07-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:

Thornton won't be an UFA for atleast two years, buddy. Seven year rule doesn't come into effect until 2008 I believe.

Old
07-15-2005, 08:14 AM
porknbeans

yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer
This from the prophet of Senators Doom and Gloom under the new CBA.

This system is far worse for the Senators than the previous system. Anyone with any knowledge of the situation understands this.

Heck, its not just Ottawa, its any small or mid-market team (to clarify: Ottawa is a mid market franchise, not a small market. The small population base is offset by the high density of hockey fans.)

Old
07-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
No need to start taking personal shots at each other people. No one knows the full extent of the CBA just yet.

Old
07-15-2005, 08:40 AM
Jester

the new FA model is simply horrible for the players financially. it's great for them in terms of deciding where they want to play, but there are going to be so many UFA's every offseason that it is going to bring down each individuals bidding level considerably.

Old
07-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
This system is far worse for the Senators than the previous system. Anyone with any knowledge of the situation understands this.

Heck, its not just Ottawa, its any small or mid-market team (to clarify: Ottawa is a mid market franchise, not a small market. The small population base is offset by the high density of hockey fans.)
Under the previous system, Ottawa would have had to spend fifty million a season to keep it's core together... how is the situation worse under the supposed terms of the new CBA ($39 million cap for each and every team, lower average salaries, lower comparison salaries for players of every talent level)

I know, I know. I should understand this, but I'm stupid. Please explain.

Old
07-15-2005, 08:52 AM
joepeps

Quote:
Under the previous system, Ottawa would have had to spend fifty million a season to keep it's core together... how is the situation worse under the supposed terms of the new CBA ($39 million cap for each and every team, lower average salaries, lower comparison salaries for players of every talent level)

Salaries can go up with the cap when the league gets good revenues.. it's not always going to stay at 39 mil cap...

Old
07-15-2005, 08:56 AM
shakes
Pep City

Quote:

I would guess because with the knowledge that the star players will always get their money no matter what system, at least with no ceiling they had a shot. I have no idea what the cap situation will be like next year for the Senators but do you really think that they will have room to sign Chara after the restricted free agents they have to sign this year? Keep in mind, Toronto's salary cap position gets a whole lot better next year Wouldn't that be a piss off, eh?

Old
07-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
I would guess because with the knowledge that the star players will always get their money no matter what system, at least with no ceiling they had a shot. I have no idea what the cap situation will be like next year for the Senators but do you really think that they will have room to sign Chara after the restricted free agents they have to sign this year? Keep in mind, Toronto's salary cap position gets a whole lot better next year Wouldn't that be a piss off, eh?
I still think they'll have a better shot at keeping Chara at, what, $3m a year (?) compared to $5m+ a year in the old CBA system... no?

I understand they might not have enough cap room for everybody - but I think it's better than before, when they didn't have enough cash to even consider keeping everybody... no?

Old
07-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
What concession would Lou liked to give up in order for less liberalized free agency.
No concessions were needed at all. Just hold the lockout until January and then everything was accepted by that point, garanteed. It would possibly be over sooner, since the NHLPA was obviously a little weaker than I originally anticipated.

There might have been even other gains for ownership.

Old
07-15-2005, 09:34 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Thornton won't be an UFA for atleast two years, buddy. Seven year rule doesn't come into effect until 2008 I believe.
Hey buddy,are you sure about that?

Quote:
NHL adopting a system under which players with eight years of NHL service (counting the stillborn 2004-05 as a year) can go on the open market next summer, and players with seven years in the league becoming unrestricted in 2007

Joe Thornton has played in the NHL for seven years and if you count 04-05 as service time,that's eight years.2005-06 makes it nine

Old
07-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
I tell someone that if they belive a certain thing then your a monkey arse and get a flamming violation and warnings

but when other people tell someone off...they say ohh play nice... don't flame...

I see how it is....

dam being from Toronto does have it's disadvantages but oh well we still get past them and make it tough for other people
If you'll notice I'm not one of the moderators listed for this forum. I'm simply asking people to let cooler heads prevail until we know the full extent of the CBA and how it will impact each team. Until then, speculating based on rumours and half truths is a waste of time.

Old
07-15-2005, 09:39 AM
SENSible1*

Teams will lose control over their players at a younger age in this new CBA. However, the mid markets will now be able to spend EXACTLY the same amount as the big markets.

If teams want to keep a talent edge they'll have to get more bang for their buck by picking the right players to give big contracts, choosing bargain UFA's and getting cheap talent through good drafting. I have no problem with the Sens competing in a system where they have to be better managed than their competitiors, especially since they'll now have the same spending ability.

The Sens would have lost some of their core under either CBA. Getting infatuated with individual players is simply foolish. If you are going to be a fan of a team over the long haul, players will come and go.

Old
07-15-2005, 09:41 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Quote:

With the player not being unrestricted until 31,Ottawa would have held the rights to that player.If they can't afford it,they would at least been able to trade him and get something in exchange

What do I care,my team barely has any players worth keeping

Closed Thread