HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Is The "Identity" Of This Rangers Team?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2014, 01:19 AM
  #1
gardenparty
Registered User
 
gardenparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
What Is The "Identity" Of This Rangers Team?

The Bruins will check you and bully you and create turnovers....
The Kings will roll 4 lines and punish you with their size....
The Predators will bore you with their defensive style, hoping to win 2-1....

What is the Rangers identity? I would say "kill you with the stretch pass and blazing speed."

They also seem to be a very tight knit, harmonious group. Although they have a superstar goalie, a future Hall Of Famer in MSL, and a potential Norris trophy winner in Ryan McDonagh, no one is bigger than the team. It would appear that egos get checked at the door.

gardenparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:25 AM
  #2
Holocene
Registered User
 
Holocene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,431
vCash: 500
Fast possession team with an elite blue line and goalie.

Holocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:37 AM
  #3
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Matt4776's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,250
vCash: 143

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:38 AM
  #4
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Fast possession team with an elite blue line and goalie.
something like this. the speed also causes the opposition to get flustered whether it be an aggressive forecheck causing all manner of turnovers or aggressively challenging the shooting lanes to take away scoring opportunities. If you can get past our blockers, you have to get past our elite defenders. If you can get past them, you need to get past our elite goaltender. On offense, we can create a lot of pressure.

I think we're much better at keeping the puck in the offensive zone and since the Philly series, our ability to get the puck out of our zone has slowly gotten better (or MTL is bad at keeping it in).

IF our best players could play their full potential like how Kane is doing, we'd also be insanely dangerous like Game 1 of the ECF. With players like MSL and Nash on our lineup, those are both players who can dominate and take over a game like Kane has but while Marty has been clutch, neither has fully taken over a game to the level Kane has. Well Marty did but because he got stoned so many times by Toharski, I feel like I'm short changing him a bit. So I guess MSL has but it just hasn't translated on paper like 7 points in 2 games does.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:42 AM
  #5
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,381
vCash: 500
They're most definitely a close team. One of the closest I've ever seen really. You can tell that they don't want to let each other down.

Identity is definitely relentless speed and defensive cohesion.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:45 AM
  #6
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
Speed, more Speed and then some Blazing Fast Speed.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:50 AM
  #7
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
something like this. the speed also causes the opposition to get flustered whether it be an aggressive forecheck causing all manner of turnovers or aggressively challenging the shooting lanes to take away scoring opportunities. If you can get past our blockers, you have to get past our elite defenders. If you can get past them, you need to get past our elite goaltender. On offense, we can create a lot of pressure.

I think we're much better at keeping the puck in the offensive zone and since the Philly series, our ability to get the puck out of our zone has slowly gotten better (or MTL is bad at keeping it in).

IF our best players could play their full potential like how Kane is doing, we'd also be insanely dangerous like Game 1 of the ECF. With players like MSL and Nash on our lineup, those are both players who can dominate and take over a game like Kane has but while Marty has been clutch, neither has fully taken over a game to the level Kane has. Well Marty did but because he got stoned so many times by Toharski, I feel like I'm short changing him a bit. So I guess MSL has but it just hasn't translated on paper like 7 points in 2 games does.
Yeah. What Kane did last night was simply awesome. Hopefully Marty continues to be clutch and Nash figures out how to create more scoring chances for himself.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 03:08 AM
  #8
Themajjam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
The survivors.

Themajjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 04:42 AM
  #9
McClelland
Registered User
 
McClelland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,152
vCash: 50
The king! Also, the players got a boost and plays on the top of their ability after the MSL addition.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 07:12 AM
  #10
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,338
vCash: 500
Lovable

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 09:17 AM
  #11
ReggieDunlop68
hey hanrahan!
 
ReggieDunlop68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,739
vCash: 500
It starts with Rick Nash while the rest follow in his wake.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 09:54 AM
  #12
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,267
vCash: 500
Our biggest weakness in the past with the 6 goalie system was we had very little transition game. We packed it in. We sold out on sliding blocked shots. We had long stretches with the puck in our end and then when we regained the puck we would just bang it off the boards more often than not. Now our guys look to get the puck and move. While we still block our share of shots it is by being in the right position not by packing it in on the goalie or selling out for these sliding blocks. That is key because now when we block a shot we are often in position to move the puck the other way. Our identity is a team that moves from defense to offense fast. When we are at our best we play 5 man units. We are a great group of guys that is team team team. No divas among the players or coaches. We have taken on the identity of our coach. Calm, patient and enjoying the game.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 10:19 AM
  #13
Lundquest
♔ -30- ♔
 
Lundquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 572
Speed kills.

Lundquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 11:48 AM
  #14
gardenparty
Registered User
 
gardenparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Our biggest weakness in the past with the 6 goalie system was we had very little transition game. We packed it in. We sold out on sliding blocked shots. We had long stretches with the puck in our end and then when we regained the puck we would just bang it off the boards more often than not. Now our guys look to get the puck and move. While we still block our share of shots it is by being in the right position not by packing it in on the goalie or selling out for these sliding blocks. That is key because now when we block a shot we are often in position to move the puck the other way. Our identity is a team that moves from defense to offense fast. When we are at our best we play 5 man units. We are a great group of guys that is team team team. No divas among the players or coaches. We have taken on the identity of our coach. Calm, patient and enjoying the game.
Completely agree. The differences between Torts' shot block, dump and chase vs AV's transition and puck possession philosophies are huge.

In addition to "speed" and "team first," the other part of their identity has been "lack of killer instinct." It seems nothing comes easily to our Rangers - up until last series that is, when the team finally took care of business in Game 2 and didn't wait until Game 7 to wrap up a playoff round!

gardenparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 11:53 AM
  #15
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,063
vCash: 500
Two major things for me:

1. Balanced offense. No big time producers in the regular season or the playoffs, but they get contributions from all 4 lines which makes them very hard to match up against.

2. Versatility. We don't play just one style of hockey. This team adjusts to every opponent, we shell when we need to Torts-style, hold the puck in the O-zone against teams with smaller defenses, and play quick counter-attacks when the other team over-taxes their defense. The Rangers play to beat the opposition's style.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 12:54 PM
  #16
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,949
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Fast possession team with an elite blue line and goalie.
Nailed it.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:34 PM
  #17
RangersOrDie
Rookie User
 
RangersOrDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Fast team that plays really well together. Instead of relying on top heavy talent, they have a good amount of depth and elite goaltending behind their fantastic blue line.

RangersOrDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 05:48 PM
  #18
LORENZO
Registered User
 
LORENZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Country: England
Posts: 1,072
vCash: 500
Handsome men in blue.

LORENZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 06:02 PM
  #19
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,549
vCash: 500
Detached and calculating

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:02 PM
  #20
M0rbid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cave
Country: United States
Posts: 9,652
vCash: 500
Frolov wrap-around and Score From The Side

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:04 PM
  #21
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,573
vCash: 500

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:04 PM
  #22
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0rbid View Post
Frolov wrap-around and From The Side
Alternatively, we're a team that scores from the side.

edit- you mother****er, you edited the post before I could quote it.

Seriously though, our identity is that we're good. We have speed, defense, goaltending, and scoring.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 05:18 PM
  #23
gardenparty
Registered User
 
gardenparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
I think we can add "well coached" to the Rangers identity. Among AV, Scott Arniel, and Ulf Samuelsson, we have a pretty high Hockey IQ coaching our guys.

I just wish there was a way to hang onto Ulf, but I think he's going to take a head coaching job somewhere.

gardenparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 05:31 PM
  #24
Kovacic
Arsenal 4 Ever
 
Kovacic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,947
vCash: 0
Island of misfit toys that play good possession hockey and is carried by the greatest goalie this generation.

Kovacic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 05:49 PM
  #25
mandiblesofdoom
Registered User
 
mandiblesofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Detached and calculating
debonair and insouciant.

mandiblesofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.