HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Is The "Identity" Of This Rangers Team?

Old
06-01-2014, 01:19 AM
gardenparty

vCash: 500
What Is The "Identity" Of This Rangers Team?

The Bruins will check you and bully you and create turnovers....
The Kings will roll 4 lines and punish you with their size....
The Predators will bore you with their defensive style, hoping to win 2-1....

What is the Rangers identity? I would say "kill you with the stretch pass and blazing speed."

They also seem to be a very tight knit, harmonious group. Although they have a superstar goalie, a future Hall Of Famer in MSL, and a potential Norris trophy winner in Ryan McDonagh, no one is bigger than the team. It would appear that egos get checked at the door.

gardenparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:25 AM
Holocene

Fast possession team with an elite blue line and goalie.

Holocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:37 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 143

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:38 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
something like this. the speed also causes the opposition to get flustered whether it be an aggressive forecheck causing all manner of turnovers or aggressively challenging the shooting lanes to take away scoring opportunities. If you can get past our blockers, you have to get past our elite defenders. If you can get past them, you need to get past our elite goaltender. On offense, we can create a lot of pressure.

I think we're much better at keeping the puck in the offensive zone and since the Philly series, our ability to get the puck out of our zone has slowly gotten better (or MTL is bad at keeping it in).

IF our best players could play their full potential like how Kane is doing, we'd also be insanely dangerous like Game 1 of the ECF. With players like MSL and Nash on our lineup, those are both players who can dominate and take over a game like Kane has but while Marty has been clutch, neither has fully taken over a game to the level Kane has. Well Marty did but because he got stoned so many times by Toharski, I feel like I'm short changing him a bit. So I guess MSL has but it just hasn't translated on paper like 7 points in 2 games does.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:42 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

They're most definitely a close team. One of the closest I've ever seen really. You can tell that they don't want to let each other down.

Identity is definitely relentless speed and defensive cohesion.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:45 AM
Pizza

Speed, more Speed and then some Blazing Fast Speed.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:50 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
something like this. the speed also causes the opposition to get flustered whether it be an aggressive forecheck causing all manner of turnovers or aggressively challenging the shooting lanes to take away scoring opportunities. If you can get past our blockers, you have to get past our elite defenders. If you can get past them, you need to get past our elite goaltender. On offense, we can create a lot of pressure.

I think we're much better at keeping the puck in the offensive zone and since the Philly series, our ability to get the puck out of our zone has slowly gotten better (or MTL is bad at keeping it in).

IF our best players could play their full potential like how Kane is doing, we'd also be insanely dangerous like Game 1 of the ECF. With players like MSL and Nash on our lineup, those are both players who can dominate and take over a game like Kane has but while Marty has been clutch, neither has fully taken over a game to the level Kane has. Well Marty did but because he got stoned so many times by Toharski, I feel like I'm short changing him a bit. So I guess MSL has but it just hasn't translated on paper like 7 points in 2 games does.
Yeah. What Kane did last night was simply awesome. Hopefully Marty continues to be clutch and Nash figures out how to create more scoring chances for himself.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 03:08 AM
Themajjam

The survivors.

Themajjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 04:42 AM
McClelland

vCash: 50
The king! Also, the players got a boost and plays on the top of their ability after the MSL addition.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 07:12 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Lovable

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 09:17 AM
ReggieDunlop68
hey hanrahan!

It starts with Rick Nash while the rest follow in his wake.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 09:54 AM
NickyFotiu

Our biggest weakness in the past with the 6 goalie system was we had very little transition game. We packed it in. We sold out on sliding blocked shots. We had long stretches with the puck in our end and then when we regained the puck we would just bang it off the boards more often than not. Now our guys look to get the puck and move. While we still block our share of shots it is by being in the right position not by packing it in on the goalie or selling out for these sliding blocks. That is key because now when we block a shot we are often in position to move the puck the other way. Our identity is a team that moves from defense to offense fast. When we are at our best we play 5 man units. We are a great group of guys that is team team team. No divas among the players or coaches. We have taken on the identity of our coach. Calm, patient and enjoying the game.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Lundquest
♔ -30- ♔

vCash: 572
Speed kills.

Lundquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 11:48 AM
gardenparty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Our biggest weakness in the past with the 6 goalie system was we had very little transition game. We packed it in. We sold out on sliding blocked shots. We had long stretches with the puck in our end and then when we regained the puck we would just bang it off the boards more often than not. Now our guys look to get the puck and move. While we still block our share of shots it is by being in the right position not by packing it in on the goalie or selling out for these sliding blocks. That is key because now when we block a shot we are often in position to move the puck the other way. Our identity is a team that moves from defense to offense fast. When we are at our best we play 5 man units. We are a great group of guys that is team team team. No divas among the players or coaches. We have taken on the identity of our coach. Calm, patient and enjoying the game.
Completely agree. The differences between Torts' shot block, dump and chase vs AV's transition and puck possession philosophies are huge.

In addition to "speed" and "team first," the other part of their identity has been "lack of killer instinct." It seems nothing comes easily to our Rangers - up until last series that is, when the team finally took care of business in Game 2 and didn't wait until Game 7 to wrap up a playoff round!

Old
06-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Two major things for me:

1. Balanced offense. No big time producers in the regular season or the playoffs, but they get contributions from all 4 lines which makes them very hard to match up against.

2. Versatility. We don't play just one style of hockey. This team adjusts to every opponent, we shell when we need to Torts-style, hold the puck in the O-zone against teams with smaller defenses, and play quick counter-attacks when the other team over-taxes their defense. The Rangers play to beat the opposition's style.

06-01-2014, 12:54 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Nailed it.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:34 PM
RangersOrDie
Rookie User

Fast team that plays really well together. Instead of relying on top heavy talent, they have a good amount of depth and elite goaltending behind their fantastic blue line.

RangersOrDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 05:48 PM
LORENZO

Handsome men in blue.

LORENZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Detached and calculating

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:02 PM
M0rbid

Frolov wrap-around and Score From The Side

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:04 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:04 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0rbid View Post
Frolov wrap-around and From The Side
Alternatively, we're a team that scores from the side.

edit- you mother****er, you edited the post before I could quote it.

Seriously though, our identity is that we're good. We have speed, defense, goaltending, and scoring.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 05:18 PM
gardenparty

I think we can add "well coached" to the Rangers identity. Among AV, Scott Arniel, and Ulf Samuelsson, we have a pretty high Hockey IQ coaching our guys.

I just wish there was a way to hang onto Ulf, but I think he's going to take a head coaching job somewhere.

Old
06-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Kovacic
Arsenal 4 Ever

vCash: 0
Island of misfit toys that play good possession hockey and is carried by the greatest goalie this generation.

Kovacic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 05:49 PM
mandiblesofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Detached and calculating
debonair and insouciant.

mandiblesofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote