HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

So, Tyler Seguin is ripping it up

Old
10-20-2013, 10:24 AM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclovin View Post
I don't get the people who's saying he won't ever put up PPG under Boston's system. He put up 67 in just his second year in the league, so it's not exactly ridiculous to think he'll put up more as he ages.

You don't trade 21-year-old game breaking talents just cause they had one subpar season (which by the way, he still lead the team in points). So what if he had a bad playoffs, you see if he bounces back the next season and if he disappoints, well THEN is the time when you trade him.
Not saying that I'm disagreeing (nor agreeing) with your basic point, but he wasn't exactly traded due to a sub-par Playoffs, it was more for his antics off-ice between games and during the Playoffs.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Swervin81
Magic Mitch™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
I am by no means ripping the Bruins, but gamebreaking talents are hard to come by, and I think maybe Seguin is starting to harness his talent.....
The hilarious part is that this is the 3rd time in 7 years Boston has traded away an elite gamebreaking talent (Thornton, Kessel, Seguin) and the even more hilarious part is that the Bruins have had more success and have been better off as a result of those trades (despite the Thornton trade being a disaster).

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Bullseyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
And yet Dallas is in 13th place in the West
Hockey is a team sport. Dallas doesn't have a good defense.

Bullseyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Blitzkrug
BRRRRCRAPPLEDOUGH

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
The hilarious part is that this is the 3rd time in 7 years Boston has traded away an elite gamebreaking talent (Thornton, Kessel, Seguin) and the even more hilarious part is that the Bruins have had more success and have been better off as a result of those trades (despite the Thornton trade being a disaster).
This, we build the stars for the other teams and inexplicably find pieces to replace them with, you should be thanking the Bruins

Also the Thornton trade may be the best thing to happen to the Bruins, it led to them building around Bergeron as the man and that's brought them nothing but success

Blitzkrug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:33 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
The Thornton trade may have been the bigger disaster, but he was the one the Bruins stayed with the longest. I still say that he should never have been made Captain of the team so earlier on; but ultimately the Bruins certainly did give Thornton plenty of time in a B's Jersey. Seguin, on the other hand, perhaps could have been given at least one Season to get his act together.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:34 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

How has Joe Morrow been doing? Pens fans had a lot of hope for him and he just seemed like a throw in for the Seguin trade?

eXile59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclovin View Post
I don't get the people who's saying he won't ever put up PPG under Boston's system. He put up 67 in just his second year in the league, so it's not exactly ridiculous to think he'll put up more as he ages.

You don't trade 21-year-old game breaking talents just cause they had one subpar season (which by the way, he still lead the team in points). So what if he had a bad playoffs, you see if he bounces back the next season and if he disappoints, well THEN is the time when you trade him.
These people weren't saying that until he got traded. In fact, many were predicting he would be a pt per game player: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1241279

I'd say about 40% were predicting ppg last season, with most being in the 70s (pretty close to ppg). Read post #55 for the voice of reason (as usual).

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusAKA View Post
Have you seen our defense? Seguin isnt our problem
I have. D and secondary scoring have been craptastic for you guys.

Old
10-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Loui Eriksson is the perfect player for Boston's system, the B's are not missing anything with Tyler gone.
I think of Eriksson as a prematurely declining player who can offer smarts and a nice responsible two way game for Boston, which is a nice short term fit, but ultimately Seguin will be leading Dallas like Kessel leads Toronto. Oh well.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Blitzkrug
BRRRRCRAPPLEDOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think of Eriksson as a prematurely declining player who can offer smarts and a nice responsible two way game for Boston, which is a nice short term fit, but ultimately Seguin will be leading Dallas like Kessel leads Toronto. Oh well.
And if this deal helps the Bruins win the cup again no one will bat an eyelash, just like they did with the Kessel trade

Old
10-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
That Smith kid they got ain't half bad either, but in any case, Sequin has the talent, it's his attitude and partying ways that always made me wonder about him. I hear the stupid excuse that "You give a teenager X amount of money and what do you expect?" How about he's not the first teen in the NHL to get money like that, so maybe...maturity? being a professional about it? understanding that things he does are under a microscope? that he is going to be looked up to by kids?

It's early, we'll see how this progresses. But there's a reason he was drafted high, it wasn't because he was good at ruining homes he lived in.
I heard from someone close to Crosby that, while Seguin was here in town working out with Marchand and Crosby earlier in the summer (I believe this would have been after the trade to Dallas... I was told about it only semi-recently), Crosby gave it to Seguin a little bit about these things (it was explained to me as "reamed him out", but I can't imagine it was actually that harsh, lol), and basically tried to "slap him straight", and focus him on making a fresh start. Wonder if he took those words to heart, having heard them from someone like Sid, and is simply applying himself a bit more now. No doubting the talent has been there the whole time, but he obviously wasn't applying himself to the fullest.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm a big Kessel fan, but I don't think he "leads" anything. His speed and shot are a constant threat, but he needs a lot of help from his linemates to do the heavy lifting. It also remains to be seen if Seguin ever "leads" a team. With Benn on the team I don't think he'll have to. He'll be a gamebreaking scoring winger, but I think he'll always need a dominant 2way guy on his line in order to achieve.

Old
10-20-2013, 10:45 AM
BiggestLeafsFanEVER*
GO LEAFS GO

It's funny how not long before the trade the bruins fans were defending him and everything and saying he should be on the team and the second he gets traded they all do a 180.

Boston must have bad scouting or something because they seem to have a lot of trouble drafting high picks who ca stick with the team

It's good that seguin is off to a good start, I've always thought he was a really good player and deserved more of a chance than he was getting in Boston

BiggestLeafsFanEVER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:46 AM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTuukka View Post
This, we build the stars for the other teams and inexplicably find pieces to replace them with, you should be thanking the Bruins

Also the Thornton trade may be the best thing to happen to the Bruins, it led to them building around Bergeron as the man and that's brought them nothing but success
Chara.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Psychoil

sooooooo, does everyone think seguin is better than hall now or is that ship yet to sail?

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Chara.
When we traded Thornton, the idea was that we were going to build around Bergeron.

Chara wasn't here yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
How has Joe Morrow been doing? Pens fans had a lot of hope for him and he just seemed like a throw in for the Seguin trade?
3 points in 6 games down in Providence, and he got a pretty good look to play in the NHL. Bruins depth is ridiculous this year, so he's the guy down on D in Providence and he'll improve a lot this year. A lot like Krug last year, didn't make the NHL, so he ripped up the AHL. Morrow will probably do the same thing. Worked well enough for Krug.

We also have a lot of hope for him. Definitely not a throw in. Jury is out on Fraser, but Smith, Eriksson, and Morrow all look to be very solid pieces. So impressed with Smith thus far, didn't expect much from him.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:58 AM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
And yet Dallas is in 13th place in the West
It's almost as if there were four lines in hockey. He's been in on ten of the team's seventeen goals (nearly 60%). And he has nothing to do with the bad D-men.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTuukka View Post
And if this deal helps the Bruins win the cup again no one will bat an eyelash, just like they did with the Kessel trade
The Seguin trade didn't help Boston win the cup. It actually made them worse in the short-term. Maybe if they had Kessel they wouldn't have needed three game7s to win the cup that year.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Blitzkrug
BRRRRCRAPPLEDOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
The Seguin trade didn't help Boston win the cup. It actually made them worse in the short-term. Maybe if they had Kessel they wouldn't have needed three game7s to win the cup that year.
Seguin won a game in that Tampa series on his own, so yes he did help

Also trading Kessel led to the off year which led to the pick up of Nathan Horton, who if the Bruins didn't have they probably don't survive Montreal

Old
10-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
sooooooo, does everyone think seguin is better than hall now or is that ship yet to sail?
I was saying Hall > Seguin before the draft. Still feel that way. At some point Seguin might make me change my mind, but he hasn't yet.

Old
10-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Quares27

Bruins wanted to get rid of him because he didnt play their style/adapt his game at all to play their style and he was a goof off the ice. They didn't give up on him based on ability and they probably got a better (albeit older) player in return.

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Primetimey*

vCash: 160
But the Boston media told me Seguin suckie-sucked.

Primetimey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Bullseyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
But the Boston media told me Seguin suckie-sucked.
According to them, he's putting up points but what's his plus-minus???

That's what I hear all the time now, despite these same people not too long ago telling me how Seguin was a good defensive player.

Bullseyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Howboutthempanthers
I come in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
That's what I was thinking. I await the new Hall vs. Seguin thread.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 11:31 AM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
LOL.....and the award for the dumbest post ever.......

WhatThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote