HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Its time for bad things to happen to refs

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 08:14 PM
darrylsittler27

vCash: 500
Its time for bad things to happen to refs

Year after year,the nhl refs steal from leafs fans.Lets not forget the gretzky /gilmour call which robbed us of our chance to go to the cup.Last year i watched the refs make call after call against toronto,making us play whole periods down 1 or two men.But when the other team did the exact same thing to us,nothing was called.These guys stole your money,dont let them get away with this.They are corrupted, thieving scum and should be treated as a criminal who just got caught in your house.They wouldnt dare try this in montreal!Dont let them here.Its a disgrace!Dont balme Quinn,he is right, its a joke.When they make those bad calls they hurt the nhl and steal hard earned money from the fans.Refs are the most insignificant people in the nhl and can be replaced at a drop of a hat.Lets make them accountable!Im tired of this crap.Contact the nhl and let them know about it,let the refs know about it.We are the fans,the refs mean nothing.IM sick of them thinking they are bigger than the game aka Fraser.What a twit that guy is.The number of games he has fixed at the fans expense is a joke.When i see this i realize bettman and all,do not care about the fans or the game.Oh well lets see how many come back after the strike lol.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:11 PM
monkey_00*

the
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27
Year after year,the nhl refs steal from leafs fans.Lets not forget the gretzky /gilmour call which robbed us of our chance to go to the cup.Last year i watched the refs make call after call against toronto,making us play whole periods down 1 or two men.But when the other team did the exact same thing to us,nothing was called.These guys stole your money,dont let them get away with this.They are corrupted, thieving scum and should be treated as a criminal who just got caught in your house.They wouldnt dare try this in montreal!Dont let them here.Its a disgrace!Dont balme Quinn,he is right, its a joke.When they make those bad calls they hurt the nhl and steal hard earned money from the fans.Refs are the most insignificant people in the nhl and can be replaced at a drop of a hat.Lets make them accountable!Im tired of this crap.Contact the nhl and let them know about it,let the refs know about it.We are the fans,the refs mean nothing.IM sick of them thinking they are bigger than the game aka Fraser.What a twit that guy is.The number of games he has fixed at the fans expense is a joke.When i see this i realize bettman and all,do not care about the fans or the game.Oh well lets see how many come back after the strike lol.

I agree and the funny thing in all of this is that last game there in Philly was done by Donut man Don Koharski who by the way hasn't officiated an NHL game in Toronto for at least a couple of seasons now.....hmmmm

Old
09-29-2003, 03:13 AM
joe blow

Quote:
This sort of attitude is exactly what makes Toronto a second-class team. Always whining and complaining about how they got screwed. The reason Toronto doesn't win anything is quite obvious:

a) They spend too much time whining to the refs and everyone is sick of it.

b) Their defence sucks royally.

Watch the game, and blame the real culprits: The players.

It's time to stop blaming other people and stand up and look in the mirror to find the real problem.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:26 AM
Rippin' Blue Tucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe blow
This sort of attitude is exactly what makes Toronto a second-class team. Always whining and complaining about how they got screwed. The reason Toronto doesn't win anything is quite obvious:

It's time to stop blaming other people and stand up and look in the mirror to find the real problem.

WHAT??????????????????? Do you listen to yourself when you speak?
Their defence sucks royally? Ya ok....

Old
09-29-2003, 04:44 AM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe blow

i agree, they do spend alot of time whining, it is a well known fact, but when one of our players does something and gets called for it, then a player on the other team should get called if he does the same thing....i think the worst game last year was the one against the Preds on the Sunday night..worst refs EVER

Old
09-29-2003, 05:12 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
I hate to knock the team, but there's a reason a lot of the refs have a dislike for the Leafs. Sure, I've sworn at the TV or stood up and booed at some calls made when I'm at a game, but the constant berating the refs take from Quinn and co. has consequences. It seems that most of Quinn's job behind the bench is to spend sixty minutes excercising his neck by shaking his head at the refs, and I'm getting tired of seeing his gum in the back of his throat everytime he yells at them. Quinn acknowledged last year that perhaps he and his team should just shut up and take it because their complaining seems to have repercussions. Hopefully this year, the team abides by this and in the long run it'll pay off. Face it, if the Leafs keep up their antics throughout the year and it came down to a game seven in a playoff series refereed by Fraser and Koharski, what are the chances we'd be taking our flags off our cars again after that game. Pretty good I'd suspect.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:29 AM
Leaf Army

Well I don't neccessarily agree with the tone of the original post....

But there is no question in my mind that the Leafs are treated unfairly on a nightly basis.

The bottom line is that the refs have a job to do and they are paid to do it honestly and profesionally. Who cares if Quinn complains too much? They can't let stuff like that affect the way they do their job.

I know a lot of this gets passed off as Leaf fans whining . But if you watch the Leafs on a nightly basis, there's no way you can deny that the Leafs are treated unfairly.

And that's wrong no matter which way you look at it.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
1. But there is no question in my mind that the Leafs are treated unfairly on a nightly basis.

2. The bottom line is that the refs have a job to do and they are paid to do it honestly and profesionally. Who cares if Quinn complains too much? They can't let stuff like that affect the way they do their job.

3. I know a lot of this gets passed off as Leaf fans whining . But if you watch the Leafs on a nightly basis, there's no way you can deny that the Leafs are treated unfairly.
1. No doubt, I agree that most of the games have the officiating biased towards opponents.

2. The refs are human. Believe me, it happens in all levels of hockey where an official can only take so much before he gets the "we'll see about that" attitude. I've been behind the bench for a few years of a Bantam 'AA' team and quite often you get to know the refs, and believe me, hearing first hand they'll tell you that just push it and things aren't going to go your way. If it were a case where Quinn simply questioned the majority of the calls then I agree, the refs should be professional and call it like it is. But he doesn't. You don't have to be a lip reader to see some of the crap that Quinn throws at these guys. God knows how many times I've seen him do the jesture and say "Aw, F-aff". Professionalism should be a two way streak as should courtesy and Quinn in most cases doesn't abide by this. Have a look at Mogilny's face next time Quinn starts yappin' off. If you want to see a rolly eyes, then he's your man.

3. See 1.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Bobs your uncle

Quote:
Paranoia runs deep in Toronto. Maybe the ref's just have something against you 27 hey. Maybe .....

Old
09-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Are you still whining about the non-Gretzky call?? Gilmour said it himself on OTR, that sure it cheesed him off, but yet you had game 7 in your own building and LOST! So get off it. As for the Leafs being treated unfairly by the refs, I don't believe thats the case either. The team is full of goons and are undisciplined goons. Domi, Tucker and Belak just may be the top 3 stupid penalty takers in the whole league. Add in Marchment and you should have an interesting season. The Leafs have to show more discipline if they think they're going to win anything.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:35 AM
Skidley

Quote:
Think....before you post next time. The Leafs are their own worst enemies when it comes to penalties.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:23 AM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson
Are you still whining about the non-Gretzky call?? Gilmour said it himself on OTR, that sure it cheesed him off, but yet you had game 7 in your own building and LOST! So get off it. As for the Leafs being treated unfairly by the refs, I don't believe thats the case either. The team is full of goons and are undisciplined goons. Domi, Tucker and Belak just may be the top 3 stupid penalty takers in the whole league. Add in Marchment and you should have an interesting season. The Leafs have to show more discipline if they think they're going to win anything.
Great to see another Hamiltonian posting in here!

Old
09-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
Great to see another Hamiltonian posting in here!

On my way to the ACC to see my Habs smoke your leafs in a meaningless matchup

Old
09-29-2003, 11:34 AM
monkey_00*

Quote:
I also like the Habs too.......always a great matchup whenever the Leafs faceoff against the Habs...even if it's only the pre-season....Have fun at the game tonight.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Dar

Quote:
Bookmarked.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
1. No doubt, I agree that most of the games have the officiating biased towards opponents.

2. The refs are human. Believe me, it happens in all levels of hockey where an official can only take so much before he gets the "we'll see about that" attitude. I've been behind the bench for a few years of a Bantam 'AA' team and quite often you get to know the refs, and believe me, hearing first hand they'll tell you that just push it and things aren't going to go your way. If it were a case where Quinn simply questioned the majority of the calls then I agree, the refs should be professional and call it like it is. But he doesn't. You don't have to be a lip reader to see some of the crap that Quinn throws at these guys. God knows how many times I've seen him do the jesture and say "Aw, F-aff". Professionalism should be a two way streak as should courtesy and Quinn in most cases doesn't abide by this. Have a look at Mogilny's face next time Quinn starts yappin' off. If you want to see a rolly eyes, then he's your man.

3. See 1.

Quite right. Respect is a two-way street, but in this instance it's up to the Leafs to be proactive and take the first steps towards repairing their relationships with the officials. They aren't ever going to be seen as the "brave underdog", so they're always going to have more than their fair share of calls going against them. But the current spectacularly bad state of affairs isn't going to change until the Leafs take the unilateral stance of showing the stripes more respect... and that just ain't goinna happen with Quinn behind the bench.

There are a lot of leaders on this team - Mogs is one, Nieuwy another (that should be interesting!) who don't buy into the whining attitude of Quinn, Tucker, even (I hate to say it!) Roberts... With another coach behind the bench, maybe those guys would be able to exert more influence over the team's personality, and we might see fewer games where the calls are so PATENTLY one-sided.

The Leafs will never be the Refs' pets, but they can improve things with a little discipline on their part.

Closed Thread