HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks lose 3-1 - Obviously Booth and Tort's fault. (Henrik)

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2013, 09:44 AM
wholesickcrew

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Again, the best team we have beat is calgary. We lost to a tired team with an ahl goalie tonight, got SPANKED by SJ twice. What makes people think we are a good team?
It's lazy to say we got spanked by SJ twice. They beat us soundly the second time, but the first game was quite close (using either fenwick/corsi or the eye test) until a couple late goals put it out of reach.

Old
10-21-2013, 10:27 AM
ARSix

Haven't read the whole thread but just assuming we're bashing David Booth again so, just to provide an update:

Canucks Games Played This Season: 10
Goals Scored Against Canucks with Booth on ice: 0

Old
10-21-2013, 11:51 AM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSix View Post
Haven't read the whole thread but just assuming we're bashing David Booth again so, just to provide an update:

How was he a -1 against Edmonton if he hasn't been on the ice for any GA?

Not to mention, not being on the ice for a GA through 10 games would be a good stat for a guy making $1M playing on the 4th line or something. It's actually kind of sad when that's the only real thing that can be brought up to compliment a guy making $4.25M and playing in a scoring role.

I mean, yeah Booth should be given a bit more time before any conclusions are drawn, but I don't know how anyone can deny that he's been basically useless for the last 18 months, scoring something like 8 points in his last 40 games with the Canucks. And that's just continuing this year so far.

Old
10-21-2013, 11:57 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
How was he a -1 against Edmonton if he hasn't been on the ice for any GA?

Not to mention, not being on the ice for a GA through 10 games would be a good stat for a guy making $1M playing on the 4th line or something. It's actually kind of sad when that's the only real thing that can be brought up to compliment a guy making $4.25M and playing in a scoring role.

I mean, yeah Booth should be given a bit more time before any conclusions are drawn, but I don't know how anyone can deny that he's been basically useless for the last 18 months, scoring something like 8 points in his last 40 games with the Canucks. And that's just continuing this year so far.
I'm assuming he's pulling the 5 on 5 report from behind the net, I am pretty sure Booth was on for a 4 on 4 goal vs Edmonton.

Old
10-21-2013, 12:03 PM
sdbullet

Send a message via AIM to sdbullet
Quote:

When you are averaging only 10-11 mins a game and playing mostly offensive zone possessions it is hard to get scored on also usually the best defensive pairing is playing behind you as well.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Wolfhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbullet View Post
When you are averaging only 10-11 mins a game and playing mostly offensive zone possessions it is hard to get scored on also usually the best defensive pairing is playing behind you as well.
44% is mostly offensive starts?

Old
10-21-2013, 01:47 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Our team is more than 1 scorer away from being good. We have 1 line. Good teams roll 3 lines deep.

Colorado lines 2/3
Oreilly/duchene/downie. Mcginn/mackinnon/parenteau = 39 points

Sj lines 2/3
Couture/marleau/kennedy nieto/pavelski/wingles = 48 points

Vancouver lines 2/3
Higgins/santorelli/hansen. Booth/dalpe/kassian = 17 points.

NOT EVEN CLOSE and the gap will become bigger and bigger as the season rolls along. Teams that make playoffs and do well in playoffs are 3 lines deep with a 4th line that can hold their own. We are nowhere near a playoff team this year. This roster just doesnt support it.
Glad you are so confident that this 10 game segment will extrapolate to 82 games without question. On a related note book Sean Monohan as a definite 50 goal man this year.

Very positive, succinct, well thought and well supported post as always. We are so lucky you post for us here.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
Some people need to learn how to accept a loss and not descend into a tirade of ranting and finger pointing each time it happens. I swear some posters think that if the team wasn't full of a bunch of idiots they would go 82-0-0. Hockey is a game of inches and bounces and even the worst teams are still made up of excellent hockey players.

I haven't seen the Canucks really stink in a game yet. Even the game we are losing we are carrying the play fairly well. I see way more reasons to be optimistic than do a bunch of hand wringing. The players are taking to Tort's system and the defense is looking as strong as it has in quite a while. We just need Kesler to find his stride and for Burrows to get back up to his usual production and I think we'll be looking pretty dangerous.

Old
10-21-2013, 02:01 PM
DCantheDDad
DisplacedNuckfan

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Some people need to learn how to accept a loss and not descend into a tirade of ranting and finger pointing each time it happens. I swear some posters think that if the team wasn't full of a bunch of idiots they would go 82-0-0. Hockey is a game of inches and bounces and even the worst teams are still made up of excellent hockey players.

I haven't seen the Canucks really stink in a game yet. Even the game we are losing we are carrying the play fairly well. I see way more reasons to be optimistic than do a bunch of hand wringing. The players are taking to Tort's system and the defense is looking as strong as it has in quite a while. We just need Kesler to find his stride and for Burrows to get back up to his usual production and I think we'll be looking pretty dangerous.
Agreed. They are getting the chances and carrying the play. If they keep that up, the bounces will start going our way. The right players are looking dangerous.

Old
10-21-2013, 02:11 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Stop being a prisoner of the moment, Kesler won't be on line 1 stacked up all year. Canucks get healthier and the Wings do not look all that bad. Only problem is matching up Center wise on 3rd line.
He's not wrong though. Are you suggesting that the Canucks don't need more scoring?

Old
10-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Christina Woloski
#FIREBENNING

Quote:

I LOVE how people have absolutely no idea how to evaluate a player. Good stat.

Old
10-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Karl Hungus

I totally agree there are issues. Will Booth ever live up to his paycheck? I'd wager no, he'll likely be an anchor until we get move him or something miraculous (literally) happens and Booth finds a level of poise/confidence with the puck he's not shown in his time here, and maybe ever.

I'm also concerned with how Kesler is playing the game. He seems to be oblivious to what the limitations of his game are and insists on playing like the player he wants to be rather than the player he can be. I think Torts is the right coach to cure Kesler of that problem though. It's still early in their time together so I'm holding out some hope that it works itself out.

What I see positive happening is that the Sedins are playing well and generating offense consistently which is probably one of the most important thing a team needs. The defense is looking strong with Ballard out and Stanton in, and Tanev's continued development. Also, our depth is playing better than it looks on paper. That it an excellent sign. We are getting timely contributions from them and they tend to play an energy game instead of the old AV 4th line that was usually slow and grinding and prone to getting hemmed in their own zone.

Barring injuries I see Luongo getting hot as the Torts system is goalie friendly when it's executed well. The Sedin's are adapting as well to Torts as could have been expected. I see things getting better and we are off to a pretty good start in my book.

Old
10-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
I LOVE how people have absolutely no idea how to evaluate a player. Good stat.
I sure hope you're not arguing David Booth has been anything but a major disappointment for the Canucks again this season...

Old
10-21-2013, 02:55 PM
PRNuck
Rekt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I sure hope you're not arguing David Booth has been anything but a major disappointment for the Canucks again this season...
IKR? He really sticks out because everyone else has been so dominant

Old
10-21-2013, 02:57 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
I totally agree there are issues. Will Booth ever live up to his paycheck? I'd wager no, he'll likely be an anchor until we get move him or something miraculous (literally) happens and Booth finds a level of poise/confidence with the puck he's not shown in his time here, and maybe ever.

I'm also concerned with how Kesler is playing the game. He seems to be oblivious to what the limitations of his game are and insists on playing like the player he wants to be rather than the player he can be. I think Torts is the right coach to cure Kesler of that problem though. It's still early in their time together so I'm holding out some hope that it works itself out.

What I see positive happening is that the Sedins are playing well and generating offense consistently which is probably one of the most important thing a team needs. The defense is looking strong with Ballard out and Stanton in, and Tanev's continued development. Also, our depth is playing better than it looks on paper. That it an excellent sign. We are getting timely contributions from them and they tend to play an energy game instead of the old AV 4th line that was usually slow and grinding and prone to getting hemmed in their own zone.

Barring injuries I see Luongo getting hot as the Torts system is goalie friendly when it's executed well. The Sedin's are adapting as well to Torts as could have been expected. I see things getting better and we are off to a pretty good start in my book.
Good stuff. I'd say we're on the same page then. I agree with all your positives too. The defense does look miles better than it did last year. I'd say it's more a function of them playing to their potential, as they were always a top notch defense group on paper. The Sedins are looking great after questions about their possible decline and the depth acquisitions (Santorelli, Richardson, Stanton) have been outstanding. Lastly, I'm very impressed with Torts behind the bench.

This team all around is in better shape than I thought it would be, to be honest. The two big issues are that Kesler is playing well below par and there are simply not enough other difference makers up front. The forward group is a mess, really.

Old
10-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Hielo Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovygoodwine View Post
Slightly off topic, wasn't sure where else to put it.
... players across the board are much better, bigger, faster, stronger.

I know for $$$ reasons that the rink will never be expanded, but it would be great if we could go the EU football format and allow for each team to have their own respective rink size within the range of the NHL or international regulation. Yeah I know it's a pipe dream in today's NHL.

... who wouldn't like to see more space for the Sedins to get creative, more lanes for Hansen to accelerate into? They keep talking about reducing GK padding size, making nets bigger, why not just simply create more space ... ?

Players are so good at getting in the stick lanes and shot lanes, in my opinion it would also emphasize the skill and speed of the game.

Anyways, this came to mind again after watching all the digging in the corners in last night's game, with virtually no clean passes connecting for either team. Seems like a recurring theme in many games crossconference.
I agree totally. When Jean Beliveau broke into the league he was nick-named Big John and people would sing that Jimmy Dean song. He was 6-ft-3 and one of the tallest players in the league. Few were taller than 6 feet. Today Beliveau would be an average size player.

If you were to add the total mass on the rink today it would probably work out that there are at least two more players on the ice. So players are bigger and ice space per player is smaller. That results in more crash and bang, more injuries, less finesse and a slower game. On big ice the goons would find work harder to come by. You can't hit what you can't catch.

NHL players on an international sized rink are really something to watch. The speed, the stick-handling, the passing, the dipsy-doodling ...

The argument against increasing the ice surface is that it would cost about $12 million per arena and result in fewer seats. Most arenas do not sell out and those that do could easily make up the loss through increased prices for good seats. A faster, more skilled game would attract new fans, and perhaps some of the rinks that do not sell out would. The initial cost would merely be an investment. The game would be so much more popular that revenue would more than cover costs.

At the very least any new arena should have to conform to international ice surface size.

Old
10-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
IKR? He really sticks out because everyone else has been so dominant
He sticks out like a sore thumb. David Booth has been the biggest underperformer on the team this season.

I can't wrap my head around how so many people find a way to try and defend this guys play. He's facing off against easy competition and doesn't look even remotely dangerous offensively.

Old
10-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Next Pre-Game Thread is up. Discussion can continue there.

Closed.

Closed Thread