HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribeiro or Grabovski

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2013, 10:17 AM
  #1
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,814
vCash: 500
Ribeiro or Grabovski

Simple. Which do you prefer? Grabs has had a good period to establish himself with his new team, teammates, coach and system. time to get used to a new environment.

assuming that retaining ribs would have meant passing on grabs...who do you prefer?
for myself, I like how it turned out.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:26 AM
  #2
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Is this to congratulate McPhee?

But obviously the answer is Grabovski. It's nowhere near close.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:31 AM
  #3
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Is this to congratulate McPhee?

But obviously the answer is Grabovski. It's nowhere near close.
In all honesty GMGM got a lot of flakk from most for letting Ribs walk so he should get credit for upgrading the position.

And I was the biggest Grabovski hator. The guy can ball and while not near the passer that Ribs was he is a superior defender and harder worker.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:34 AM
  #4
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Is this to congratulate McPhee?

But obviously the answer is Grabovski. It's nowhere near close.
If you look at each of them as single year acquisitions it's clearly Grabovski -less money and no acquisition cost. Let's see if Grabovski can take us past the first round.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:34 AM
  #5
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 500
grabo for now but he was very inconsistent in toronto so who knows if old habits will come back. really i'm amazed that he has managed to keep it up for this long.

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
  #6
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,914
vCash: 500
I'd prefer Grabovski plus the first rounder and prospect they'd have gotten selling Ribeiro at the deadline.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:43 AM
  #7
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'd prefer Grabovski plus the first rounder and prospect they'd have gotten selling Ribeiro at the deadline.
And probably not making the playoffs and costing Ted $$$.

Easy to play with other people's money isn't it??

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:43 AM
  #8
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry
 
stanleycaps98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chocolate City
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 500
And, Rusty that they gave up for Ribs.

But, I do like Grabo.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:44 AM
  #9
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
In all honesty GMGM got a lot of flakk from most for letting Ribs walk so he should get credit for upgrading the position.

And I was the biggest Grabovski hator. The guy can ball and while not near the passer that Ribs was he is a superior defender and harder worker.
I think Johansson has picked up Ribeiro's passing role pretty well so far.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:45 AM
  #10
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
And probably not making the playoffs and costing Ted $$$.

Easy to play with other people's money isn't it??
Yup. It also would have saved Ted a quarter of Ribs' $5M salary and made additional future playoff rounds more likely.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
  #11
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'd prefer Grabovski plus the first rounder and prospect they'd have gotten selling Ribeiro at the deadline.
sure, but nobody trades away a playoff spot for futures. caps were not exactly dispatched from the first round like they didn't belong and probably should have advanced.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
  #12
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke
 
QuadrupleDeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 500
This board is gonna be great when Grabo prices himself out of an extension just like Ribeiro did, and GMGM lets him walk.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:54 AM
  #13
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yup. It also would have saved Ted a quarter of Ribs' $5M salary and made additional future playoff rounds more likely.
Funny how you don't take into account the potential loss of season ticket renewals if the team failed to make the playoffs ..

Or if they fell out of the race (as they would have) the lost revenue from empty seats in the last quarter of the season.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
  #14
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Funny how you don't take into account the potential loss of season ticket renewals if the team failed to make the playoffs ..

Or if they fell out of the race (as they would have) the lost revenue from empty seats in the last quarter of the season.
Silly me for looking at the long term health of the organization rather than a short term minor windfall.

And they wouldn't have lost much from empty seats in the last quarter of the season. The games would still be "sellouts", as the half-empty Nashville and Tampa games were.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:04 AM
  #15
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Silly me for looking at the long term health of the organization rather than a short term minor windfall.
A winning mindset and playoff experience aren't good for long term health??

Losing begets losing and no amount of #1 overalls or prospects can change that (see Edmonton)

Making the playoffs helps the winning mindset more than missing the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
And they wouldn't have lost much from empty seats in the last quarter of the season. The games would still be "sellouts", as the half-empty Nashville and Tampa games were.
There were home games against Toronto and Winnipeg that I vividly remember where the crowd was racous and the stadium packed. Those games who have been tombs if we weren't in the race for example.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:05 AM
  #16
marcel snapshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
This board is gonna be great when Grabo prices himself out of an extension just like Ribeiro did, and GMGM lets him walk.
I don't understand the "lets him walk" criticism as it pertain to Ribs and (potentially) Grabo. Why is sending away an asset you had planned to keep for only 1 year right before the most important part of that year (the playoffs), better than keeping that asset so you have him for the most important part of that year, and then seeing whether something can be worked out in the off-season?

In Ribs case, we kept him, he won Game 5 w/an OT goal, we couldn't resign him, we ended up with Grabo for cheaper. What is bad about that?

There are lots of things to criticize GMGM about, but this ain't one of them.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:09 AM
  #17
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
sure, but nobody trades away a playoff spot for futures. caps were not exactly dispatched from the first round like they didn't belong and probably should have advanced.
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2012030137
Are you sure about that?

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:26 AM
  #18
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 500
The answer is obvious but what about next year? Ribeiro and Grabs are/were on different career paths. Grabs is playing for his new contract this year just like Ribs did last year.

Grabs will have been the super, duper option if the Caps win a Stanley Cup but if they don't it's back to square one again. Who will be the center next year playing for a new contract?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:51 AM
  #19
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
We got shafted that series by the officials especially in MSG. It shouldn't have even gotten to game 7.

Ovechkin, McPhee, the Caps crew, Alan May and even EJ Hradek publically said so.

Did we not have the Corsi/Fenwick edge in that series? I thought we did.

The Caps would have been a far more formidable matchup to the Bruins than the Rangers were thats for sure. Although I don't remember how the brackets would have worked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
The answer is obvious but what about next year? Ribeiro and Grabs are/were on different career paths. Grabs is playing for his new contract this year just like Ribs did last year.

Grabs will have been the super, duper option if the Caps win a Stanley Cup but if they don't it's back to square one again. Who will be the center next year playing for a new contract?
Well I think we can all agree that Grabovski>>Ribeiro right?

If thats the case then why couldnt the New Center>>Grabovski?? If we don't resign him that is.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:03 PM
  #20
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'd prefer Grabovski plus the first rounder and prospect they'd have gotten selling Ribeiro at the deadline.
I'm asking because I don't know though I can't think of any off hand but has there ever been a team that was a playoff team but felt they likely weren't actual contenders and decided to sell off their soon to be UFAs for futures and risk said playoff spot?

You seem to feel this is such a no brainer approach but I think if that was actually the case it would happen all the time but it doesn't.

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:05 PM
  #21
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'm asking because I don't know though I can't think of any off hand but has there ever been a team that was a playoff team but felt they likely weren't actual contenders and decided to sell off their soon to be UFAs for futures and risk said playoff spot?

You seem to feel this is such a no brainer approach but I think if that was actually the case it would happen all the time but it doesn't.
If there is a single case of that happening I can point to 100 cases where a team in that same position will actually be buyers!

The notion of selling prime UFA assets when you are on the brink of a playoff space is unheard of in the NHL. I can't even remember 1 single instance of this.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:10 PM
  #22
artilector
Registered User
 
artilector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,707
vCash: 500
Their skills overall are pretty close, but Grabs younger & plays with great energy, which this team sorely needs. So no question he is better.

In a way, signing Grabs was what Caps should've done with Yashin when he was bought out and available for peanuts, instead of signing an ancient Swede.

But I'd only give McPhee very limited credit here, because it looked a lot more like a desperation move than something that was part of a plan. It's like your wallet falls into a hole, you're crawling around in confusion grasping at things, and bam, you find a lottery ticket. Well good job on not giving up

Anyway, it's all still contingent on Grabs re-signing here or at least helping Caps advance beyond 2nd round.

I'm pretty optimistic about Grabs re-signing because it seems that both parties should be quite pleased with a good fit (esp. now since Grabs is on the 2nd line and getting decent PP time), and because with the cap increase there should at least be zero problems fitting things under the cap.

As much as I am skeptical of McPhee putting pieces together, I have to believe that if push comes to shove, he'll rather dump Laich and/or Erat before losing the 2nd line center that finally looks like a good fit and is in his prime.

I guess the only worry would be if Grabs ('s agent) is determined to hold teams over a barrel.. but I guess we have to hope that being bought out lessens one's financial concerns while also increasing interest in stability..

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:23 PM
  #23
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 13,480
vCash: 500
In a vacuum, it's pretty darn close. People are forgetting that Ribeiro held this team aloft for the first half of last season. He's unquestionably a better offensive talent than Grabovski, and was nothing short of lethal on the powerplay. For as much chagrin as people give Nicky for not shooting on the powerplay, Ribs wasn't afraid to and it helped get the powerplay rolling while Ovechkin was still finding himself. Ribeiro also made Brouwer look like a legitimate goal scorer.

That being said, this isn't a vacuum. Contract values, teammates, and age come into play here. Johansson has done more than adequate in replacing Ribeiro on the powerplay. Ribeiro's contract is also one that is hardly favorable to the team, especially one close to the salary cap. And there's significant concern about how he'll perform near the end of it. Grabovski also doesn't commit nearly as many stupid penalties, and brings more in terms of a possession game.

All things considered, I'm happy we went with Grabovski. But it's closer than many of you are suggesting.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:47 PM
  #24
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
sure, pal. caps should never have let that series make it to game 7.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:51 PM
  #25
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
A winning mindset and playoff experience aren't good for long term health??

Losing begets losing and no amount of #1 overalls or prospects can change that (see Edmonton)

Making the playoffs helps the winning mindset more than missing the playoffs.



There were home games against Toronto and Winnipeg that I vividly remember where the crowd was racous and the stadium packed. Those games who have been tombs if we weren't in the race for example.
Cliches are meaningless to long term organizational health.

Losing does not beget losing unless you're a terribly run organization (like Edmonton)

Pittsburgh and Chicago are easy counter-examples to your Edmonton one. They used their high picks to build Cup Champions.

The Bruins parlayed a player whose contract demands they weren't going to meet into a high draft pick who was a significant contributor to their Cup run.

Their have been numerous games the last few season where VC was sparsely filled, because the team has been mired in their recent mediocrity and eliminated from the playoffs early.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.