HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Owen Nolan: his future, or his past?

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2005, 10:53 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

vCash: 500
Owen Nolan: his future, or his past?

It seems likely that Nolan will be bought out. Once a great PF and leader, now overpaid and unwelcome.

1) Does he have any good hockey left in him, or has he declined to the point that he's not worth signing?

2) What teams would take a run at him, for how much, and to fill what role?

Old
07-18-2005, 11:01 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

he was a good 2way player for us
the odd flash of stardom
but his injury problems really gave us a pain

Old
07-18-2005, 11:14 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
he was a good 2way player for us
the odd flash of stardom
but his injury problems really gave us a pain
Those were freak injuries though..

The eye injury had me fuming... Nothing was called on the play, meanwhile it should've been a major. He was bleeding heavily.

Then his knee injury left me puzzled. I was saying when it happened "uh-oh"... It looked innocent but sure enough it took him out for a playoff round + 6. Figures he was due back any day just before we were eliminated.

I would buy him out, simply because of his contract. But I think he will do good with his new team, barring injury.

Old
07-18-2005, 11:19 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

I wouldn't mind him suiting up on the Canucks 2nd line for 2 mill or under.

Old
07-18-2005, 11:21 PM
cheers

there's always that theory that he may come back to SJ

Old
07-18-2005, 11:27 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
It seems likely that Nolan will be bought out. Once a great PF and leader, now overpaid and unwelcome.

1) Does he have any good hockey left in him, or has he declined to the point that he's not worth signing?

I think with over a year off, Nolan will be rejuvenated and will be a good power forward once again. He's a big risk pre-buy out, but if I'm not the Leafs, I'd take a look at him.

He'll probably flourish away from Toronto.

Old
07-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Sebastien Centomo

Quote:
Unwelcome? By who, the Leafs? The reason behind the rumours about Nolan being bought out stem from the Leafs' poor cap position, not his play. Last year Nolan did just fine in the 2nd/3rd line role he was in.

He's far from unwelcome, he's just an easy target for slashing payroll.

Old
07-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Coffey77

Quote:

I think he's worth signing but not to a big contract. I don't think he'll get more than $2 million. His chronic back problems worry me and will probably scare off a lot of teams, especially when you factor in that there are a ton of free agents out there. When healthy, he can be a pretty good 2nd liner.

Old
07-18-2005, 11:37 PM
cyrisweb

A lot of factors to consider in the Canucks lineup, but if everything came together well I would very much so try to sign Nolan.

Old
07-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus Joglund
Unwelcome? By who, the Leafs? The reason behind the rumours about Nolan being bought out stem from the Leafs' poor cap position, not his play. Last year Nolan did just fine in the 2nd/3rd line role he was in.

He's far from unwelcome, he's just an easy target for slashing payroll.
Well, I meant that he's unwelcome because of the cap. I actually like him quite a bit for a 2nd/3rd line role, and I would be very happy if he signed with Montreal for a reasonable price -- no more than 3 million if healthy and motivated. He could bring exactly what Montreal needs, which is some scoring and toughness on the RW. But a lot of Habs posters say he's too old, too expensive, too contaminated by his time with the Leafs, and too blah-blah-blah. So I wanted to get a broader opinion.

Old
07-19-2005, 12:44 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
unless you're paying his current salary, Nolan is still a very good player IMO. as mentioned earlier, he had injury problems, but they were pretty freak occurances. I feel much more confident about his health going into next season than Belfour, for example

Old
07-19-2005, 01:40 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
I will breakout with nonstop dancing bananas if he comes back to San Jose.

07-19-2005, 01:57 AM
corbanSOG
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
I will breakout with nonstop dancing bananas if he comes back to San Jose.
ditto...if he comes for $2ml, doesn't balk at a reduced role, and stays healthy. which seems unlikely.

Old
07-19-2005, 02:09 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Calgary could use some secondary scoring. Who knows? Nolan would be a good fit here, and there is the Sutter connection after all.

I think he'd be a player Calgary should actively pursue.

Old
07-19-2005, 06:42 AM
GB

Send a message via ICQ to GB
As long as he didn't cost much more than $2million I'd love to see him sign for the Habs.

Old
07-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Mr Sakich

didn't nolan have a clause in his contract that gave him an extra year in the event of a work stoppage? If that is true, then his he has 2 years left on his contract and his buy-out counts against the leaf's cap. He probably won't be bought out then.

Old
07-19-2005, 07:45 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
didn't nolan have a clause in his contract that gave him an extra year in the event of a work stoppage? If that is true, then his he has 2 years left on his contract and his buy-out counts against the leaf's cap. He probably won't be bought out then.
Interesting...but buy-outs probably won't count against the cap from what I have read. I believe 2004/2005 was the last year of his 5 year contract (started 2000/2001 season) so with the clause, this is his final year of the contract.

Nolan clause

from the article...

"While Nolan would not be paid in the event of a work stoppage, Nolan's agent, Mike Barnett, inserted the "lockout protection clause", which would give Nolan an extra guaranteed year if the anticipated labor dispute limits the season to less than 40 games. Essentially, in the event of a labor dispute, the club option year becomes a player option as well."

Last edited by crump: 07-19-2005 at 07:51 AM.
Old
07-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Chelios

What about Chicago? We are looking for two top line players and Nolan is exactly the type of player the Hawks are trying to build around (think guys like Ruutu and Bell)

Old
07-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump
Interesting...but buy-outs probably won't count against the cap from what I have read. I believe 2004/2005 was the last year of his 5 year contract (started 2000/2001 season) so with the clause, this is his final year of the contract.

[

I read here that the no-penalty buy-outs will only apply to contracts in their final year. If you have more than one year, the buy-out will count against your cap.

Old
07-19-2005, 10:00 AM
Kill 'Em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
no, he only has ONE (1) year left on his contract: this season.

if not for this clause:

"While Nolan would not be paid in the event of a work stoppage, Nolan's agent, Mike Barnett, inserted the "lockout protection clause", which would give Nolan an extra guaranteed year if the anticipated labor dispute limits the season to less than 40 games. Essentially, in the event of a labor dispute, the club option year becomes a player option as well."

nolan would have been a UFA THIS summer. but because of the lock-out protection clause, he gets the extra year.

Old
07-19-2005, 10:51 AM
CaptainShark

I would love to see Owen back in teal. IMO the Sharks need one more top-6-forward and they may be in a good position to sign Owen Nolan as he still has a business in downtown San Jose and as his wife is from that area as well.

He would not face as much pressure this time around, as the Sharks young guys have stepped it up and have taken on the leadership roles... IMO a very nice addition if the price is right...

Old
07-19-2005, 12:40 PM
flamesfanont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
Calgary could use some secondary scoring. Who knows? Nolan would be a good fit here, and there is the Sutter connection after all.

I think he'd be a player Calgary should actively pursue.
I can't see Nolan coming here simply because our needs our a #1 LW or a #1 C. Nolan is a right winger and Iggy will be playing that spot on the 1st line and I am sure after his AHL season last year Sutter wants Kobasew playing that spot on the 2nd line, you could drop Kobasew to the third line but I think that would hurt his development and I believe he will be a 20+ goal guy this upcoming year on the 2nd line. The only 3 players I see possibly coming to Calgary are Selanne,
Demitra, or Allison.

Closed Thread