HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals @ Jets - 10/22/2013 8 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2013, 09:07 AM
  #401
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Maybe. Line up changes for struggling teams is sports coaching 101. Next is trade or firing of coach (or in long term issues, the GM).

So that's done. The other stuff is in game management, and another prereq to being a coach in pro sports.

If Oates continues to move fast when is necessary, to create the best TEAM he can, then perhaps it is a new transmission. If he watches the team flounder for 4-5 games after these changes, then it's probably same ol, same ol.
I don't see a floundering team. so, I don't see it continuing to flounder. when floundering, this team gets blown out last night. it was pretty clear to me that the shorthanded mess on that one power play knocked the team in general and green in particular off his rails and it was a struggle from that point forward. they battled and won the game.

we have not seen a display of defensive incompetence like last night all year long. they lost several games with pretty solid defense. either the goaltending let them down or the offense did. when flounding one bad thing happens the team loses its momentum. last night the goaltending and the offense stood up for the defense and they won the game.

if the next game is more of that mess, then i'd be concerned. I don't think this is who the caps are. of course I am not pre disposed to thinking that almost everything from the owner on down is wrong with the team.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 09:09 AM
  #402
marcel snapshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,255
vCash: 500
In every game this year that this team's play in its own end has been unbelievably disorganized and ineffective.

As bad as Green played last night, as bad as Erskine was early on before he sat 4 games (that he seemed slightly better last night, is only a function of how bad he was before), as inexplicably WTF as Carlson has been on so many shifts - we should not lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of our forwards are simply terrible at playing team defense. Nick's (who may be my favorite Cap) defensive play this year sticks out as particularly atrocious, given his responsibility as a center.

Our neutral zone defense can be described in one word: matador. We do not slow teams down through neutral, we do not effectively back-check, we do not appear to be very effective at forcing them to one side of the ice in a manner that limits the opposition's entry options. Much of that is on the forwards.

So teams gain zone entry on us with ease. Once in the zone, we are not hard on the puck, we are not tight on opposing players without the puck, and we do not effectively read/anticipate the play -- and so the opposition gets quality scoring chance after quality scoring chance. Much of this also falls on the forwards.

Again, I am not discounting or making excuses for the poor play of our 6 D guys - I am simply saying that it's even worse than that. Our total team defense is absolutely putrid - well below NHL quality. We have only a handful of forwards that back-check consistently and effectively, that are hard on the puck in the zone and that stick tight to their man. We have many forwards that appear to be waiting for someone else to get the puck and seem more interested in conserving their energy when the other team has the puck and/or blowing the zone early.

If this doesn't get fixed soon, this team won't make the playoffs. This team simply does not seem committed to playing defense - the energy they show when the other team has the puck is nowhere near what it is when we possess it. You can't play team defense with as little commitment and energy as we show and succeed in the NHL.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 09:15 AM
  #403
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
In every game this year that this team's play in its own end has been unbelievably disorganized and ineffective.

As bad as Green played last night, as bad as Erskine was early on before he sat 4 games (that he seemed slightly better last night, is only a function of how bad he was before), as inexplicably WTF as Carlson has been on so many shifts - we should not lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of our forwards are simply terrible at playing team defense. Nick's (who may be my favorite Cap) defensive play this year sticks out as particularly atrocious, given his responsibility as a center.

Our neutral zone defense can be described in one word: matador. We do not slow teams down through neutral, we do not effectively back-check, we do not appear to be very effective at forcing them to one side of the ice in a manner that limits the opposition's entry options. Much of that is on the forwards.

So teams gain zone entry on us with ease. Once in the zone, we are not hard on the puck, we are not tight on opposing players without the puck, and we do not effectively read/anticipate the play -- and so the opposition gets quality scoring chance after quality scoring chance. Much of this also falls on the forwards.

Again, I am not discounting or making excuses for the poor play of our 6 D guys - I am simply saying that it's even worse than that. Our total team defense is absolutely putrid - well below NHL quality. We have only a handful of forwards that back-check consistently and effectively, that are hard on the puck in the zone and that stick tight to their man. We have many forwards that appear to be waiting for someone else to get the puck and seem more interested in conserving their energy when the other team has the puck and/or blowing the zone early.

If this doesn't get fixed soon, this team won't make the playoffs. This team simply does not seem committed to playing defense - the energy they show when the other team has the puck is nowhere near what it is when we possess it. You can't play team defense with as little commitment and energy as we show and succeed in the NHL.
That's a bit disingenuous. You're suggesting he only looked good last night because he was horrible before....he had a good game. Simple enough...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:10 AM
  #404
Langway
Flow➜Grow
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,507
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
If this doesn't get fixed soon, this team won't make the playoffs. This team simply does not seem committed to playing defense - the energy they show when the other team has the puck is nowhere near what it is when we possess it. You can't play team defense with as little commitment and energy as we show and succeed in the NHL.
I don't know. They may still be able to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference playing this way, particularly if the goaltending comes around like last night. They won't go anywhere from there but it could be enough to make it. They'll likely get slaughtered by the class of the Western Conference unless they begin to show something resembling structure and discipline. I agree on the energy with/without the puck but even when they have the puck they don't work all that hard. (Harder in comparison but not smart.) They're not systematic at a high level to push back territorially when needed and, under the circumstances, there's no excuse for it. A lot of players in a lot of situations do not keep their feet moving. There's a lot of gliding and no high end team finds that lack of intensity acceptable.

Erskine's first few steps are hellish. Playing Schmidt in OT over Erskine was likely because they did not want the later defending more open ice 4-on-4. If you can't ice a defensive defenseman 4-on-4 then they're not really a defensive defenseman in today's game. Erskine was better last night but still not good and it sticks out even more due to their overall lack of structure.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:32 AM
  #405
marcel snapshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
They're not systematic at a high level to push back territorially when needed and, under the circumstances, there's no excuse for it
We seem averse to playing any kind of territorial game. Was very surprised when we got up in the 2nd period, and then especially in the 3rd, that you did not see a step-up in defensive intensity and a heightened focus on defensive responsibility. A defense-first mentality late in the game when you have a lead is pretty basic to how you win on the road in the NHL - that doesn't mean be passive and sit back; it means ramping up defensive intensity and commitment. We seem to lack that mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
A lot of players in a lot of situations do not keep their feet moving. There's a lot of gliding and no high end team finds that lack of intensity acceptable.
The gliding and absence of feet-moving is driving me nuts. There should be zero tolerance for that sort of thing - but that's not really the culture here.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:37 AM
  #406
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke
 
QuadrupleDeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,669
vCash: 500
Ovechkin retroactively (and correctly) credited with an assist on the Brouwer goal. He poked to Brouwer who passed it to Backstrom, who deked around Enstrom and passed it back to Brouwer who scored.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...13020135-611-h

Now 2g1a for Ovechkin last night: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...4/GS020135.HTM

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:43 AM
  #407
Corsi Close
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 7,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koized View Post
Ovechkin saving GMGM's ass since 2004.
I'm using this in my sig from now on. PM me if you mind.

Corsi Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 01:21 PM
  #408
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB
 
fedfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow City
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Ovechkin retroactively (and correctly) credited with an assist on the Brouwer goal. He poked to Brouwer who passed it to Backstrom, who deked around Enstrom and passed it back to Brouwer who scored.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...13020135-611-h

Now 2g1a for Ovechkin last night: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...4/GS020135.HTM
Also now tied for 2nd in points in the league with H.Sedin, only Crosby has more.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 04:09 PM
  #409
Burakovsky95*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maryland, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Also now tied for 2nd in points in the league with H.Sedin, only Crosby has more.
Sedin's also played 2 more games. Really kinda cool to see Ovie and Crosby back at the top of the league together.

Burakovsky95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 04:36 PM
  #410
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,425
vCash: 2714
Ovechkin saving GMGM's the leagues ass since 2004.

Fixed that for you

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 09:03 PM
  #411
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Ovechkin saving GMGM's the leagues ass since 2004.

Fixed that for you
what? i hope you dont really think that.

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 10:25 PM
  #412
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I don't know if people were brainwashed by BB's constant line juggling, but there is something to be said for giving things a fair amount of time to see how they shake themselves out. As long as his reasoning was solid (this can certainly be debated), then I'd say I prefer Oates' approach to Bruce's. Now there is probably a middle ground somewhere that we'd all like to see, but I'd take the patient approach over the spastic one.
IIRC Knuble had to go to BB and beg for a chance to build some line chemistry because Bruce was so apt to change up the lines every other shift.

I agree, there's a middle ground that I hope Oates will find, but giving an idea time to work before determining that it didn't is reasonable.


Last edited by californiacapsfan: 10-23-2013 at 10:38 PM.
californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:16 PM
  #413
Koized
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Fring View Post
I'm using this in my sig from now on. PM me if you mind.
haha no problem

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 08:06 AM
  #414
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,425
vCash: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
what? i hope you dont really think that.
You don't think the leagues best (not preselected) marketing piece wasn't vital to the overall health of the league?

I am just a random dude, and I stopped watching hockey after the lockout. Only by getting word from a friend that we had a stud, did I come back. The games had became BORING, and the strike was the final straw.

I did not come back to watch puffy lips, I assure you.

Do you think you can put a dollar figure on how much in ticket sales etc he has sold for the leagues coffers? Suddenly, teams wanted to see the Caps. We were the lowest road draw for decades. Give it your best guess. Don't forget to include Verizon Center sales.


Last edited by RandyHolt: 10-24-2013 at 08:13 AM.
RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.