HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Round 2, Vote 1 (HOH Top Centers)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2013, 01:15 PM
  #526
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
I have no idea how someone could say that Clarke, Messier and Trottier are ahead of Beliveau offensively.
Me neither.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:17 PM
  #527
overpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
I have no idea how someone could say that Clarke, Messier and Trottier are ahead of Beliveau offensively.
Exactly what I was about to post.

I can see how you could consider Mikita or Esposito better offensively, but I think you'd be wrong.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:56 PM
  #528
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
So Beliveau is last in this group offensively.

Clarke is considered the best defensively.

But Beliveau seems to be a top 3 lock.

Does playing on great Montreal teams have much to do with everyone's perception of him?
Is this real?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:07 PM
  #529
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
An initial list is of the top-60, not top 9. This round is of the top 8.

Is there any eligible voter who puts Mikita at 9th (out of the top-8 voting for this round)?
I should hope not for a guy with 1,1,1,1,2,3,3,3 and a 4th scoring finish as well as a 155-59-91-150 line in the playoffs and at least average (for this group) defense, if not better.

If someone does have him at 9 would love to hear the reasoning for it.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 05:08 PM
  #530
Dennis Bonvie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 7,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
Exactly what I was about to post.

I can see how you could consider Mikita or Esposito better offensively, but I think you'd be wrong.
Beliveau is better than Mikita & Esposito offensively?

Please explain.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 05:53 PM
  #531
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,738
vCash: 500
Completeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Beliveau is better than Mikita & Esposito offensively?

Please explain.
Beliveau was more complete offensively. Transition, corner work, high or low slot, down low or perimeter - point when Geoffrion was hurt, as the game demanded.

Phil Esposito, not much of a transition game, low slot, average in the corners.

Stan Mikita, below Bobby Clarke in the corners and down low.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 06:18 PM
  #532
overpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Beliveau is better than Mikita & Esposito offensively?

Please explain.
Of course I can't say for sure, I'm only working from the evidence available to me.

My reasoning is based on the fact that Beliveau was a complete offensive package who could skate well, had one of the best shots in the league, set up his wings on both sides, and play on or off the puck. As early as the 1955-56 season he was in the conversation for the best hockey player in history.

Mikita and Esposito both played on teams with far less centre depth than Beliveau did and received more ice time and freedom to extend shifts as a result. They also had to play their style and were less adaptable to team needs - their lines had to be specifically tailored to their needs, while Beliveau could and did play with any wingers.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 06:49 PM
  #533
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
I always treat these Sports illustrated articles with a grain of salt. That magazine has limited hockey coverage and is not necessarily a good source to use. I just skimmed Overpass's post and this error popped out. Reay was fired 20 games into the season. It was Imlach who coached the leafs into the playoffs in 58-59 but this is what the SI article said:


Manager Ivan fired Pilous, hired Reay—who had himself been fired by the Toronto Maple Leafs after pulling them out of the cellar and into the playoffs in 1959—and, in effect, said to Hay, Mikita, Hull and Co., "Now put up or shut up."


Last edited by pappyline: 11-02-2013 at 08:35 PM.
pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 07:07 PM
  #534
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
I didn't submit a list & don't have a vote but I just had to step in to respond to the Mikita slamming that is going on. People are cherry picking articles and coming to the conclusion that Stan's stats were the result of getting extra ice time and the Hawks playing some sort of run & gun game which gave him an advantage over the other superstars of his era.

Absolute nonsense. Chicago ran 3 lines just like everybody else. Mikita played the powerplay just like the superstars on the other teams. The only extra ice time he got was killing the odd penalty which other stars didn't have to do. If anything Beliveau had the unfair advantage as he didn't kill penalties and could focus on offense.

Chicago had great GA numbers during that era. Sure Hall was a big part of it but he wasn't the only reason. No more than the Habs goalies were the sole reason their GA was so good.

There are games out there to watch and I would suggest people do so instead of cherry picking SI quotes


Last edited by pappyline: 11-02-2013 at 08:36 PM.
pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 09:06 PM
  #535
Dennis Bonvie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 7,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
Of course I can't say for sure, I'm only working from the evidence available to me.

My reasoning is based on the fact that Beliveau was a complete offensive package who could skate well, had one of the best shots in the league, set up his wings on both sides, and play on or off the puck. As early as the 1955-56 season he was in the conversation for the best hockey player in history.

Mikita and Esposito both played on teams with far less centre depth than Beliveau did and received more ice time and freedom to extend shifts as a result. They also had to play their style and were less adaptable to team needs - their lines had to be specifically tailored to their needs, while Beliveau could and did play with any wingers.
So, actual offensive production only counts if its Gretzky & Lemieux?

Or should everyone be considering the possibility that Beliveau should be #1?

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 09:08 PM
  #536
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
So, actual offensive production only counts if its Gretzky & Lemieux?

Or should everyone be considering the possibility that Beliveau should be #1?
If "actual offensive production" is all that matters, then Esposito > Lemieux. Seriously.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 09:22 PM
  #537
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,738
vCash: 500
Four Lines

1958-59 thru 1962-63 Canadiens regularly ran four lines with centers Beliveau, H.Richard, Backstrom, Goyette, rotating Marshall and Rousseau thru center as injuries or the need for a second RHS - Rousseau dictated.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 09:29 PM
  #538
Dennis Bonvie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 7,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
If "actual offensive production" is all that matters, then Esposito > Lemieux. Seriously.
Its not all that matters.

But Gretzky & Lemieux have the highest Points Per Game, playoffs and regular season, by far. And because neither brought anything else to the table, and they are a consensus #1 & #2 here, it looks to me that actual offensive production is pretty close to all that matters.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 10:30 PM
  #539
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Is it too late to somehow add ChiTownPhilly and Sentinel to the voters list?
If someone has a top 80 list almost ready to go, and can finish it and can pass it on to BOTH tarheel and I via PM tonight (so whichever one sees it first can act), we can try to rush it through the screening process tomorrow. Once the thread for Vote 2 is posted (late tomorrow night or early Monday), the list of eligible voters is locked.

If someone hasn't really started work on their top 80 list yet, I'd say it's definitely too late.

Edit: Anyone planning on still submitting a list really should have been in touch with us via PM a long time ago.


Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 11-02-2013 at 11:24 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:28 AM
  #540
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,919
vCash: 500
If there is an almighty being listening to my prayers, the next four added centers ought to be two from the nineties and two from the pre-NHL era.

The.

Most.

Anticipated.

Round.

Ever.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:09 AM
  #541
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
If there is an almighty being listening to my prayers, the next four added centers ought to be two from the nineties and two from the pre-NHL era.

The.

Most.

Anticipated.

Round.

Ever.
It's late and I have a pretty good idea on who you are thinking for the 2 pre NHL guys and 1 90's guy but the 90's had a ton of excellent centers and the 4th guy you are thinking about is an 80s and 90's guy right?

That being said all 4 guys could have been in the mix for the 1st round so man the 2nd round is going to be a splitting of hairs.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:39 AM
  #542
the edler
Inimitable
 
the edler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
If there is an almighty being listening to my prayers, the next four added centers ought to be two from the nineties and two from the pre-NHL era.

The.

Most.

Anticipated.

Round.

Ever.
I expect Nighbor and Lalonde, then perhaps the Sakic & Yzerman squad.

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 02:09 AM
  #543
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
I'm hoping it will include Nighbor, Taylor and Sakic, at least. Who the 4th ends up being is not really that important to me.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 07:33 AM
  #544
ChiTownPhilly
Registered User
 
ChiTownPhilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S Jersey near Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ChiTownPhilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
An initial list is of the top-60, not top 9. This round is of the top 8.
Thanks for your help with the semantical distinction, and also for your kind words about my possible inclusion in the selection. Truthfully, it seems that I've brought more heat than light to the conversation. That wasn't intentional, though.

I hope to stay tuned- and have some ongoing interest in the placings, going forward. I also hope to see how the remaining pre-WWII candidates fare.

Seems there was a person or three who was considering calling Mikita one of the four best centers, all-time. If nothing else, I'm grateful that there's been an attenuation of that sort of talk...

ChiTownPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:58 AM
  #545
overpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
I didn't submit a list & don't have a vote but I just had to step in to respond to the Mikita slamming that is going on. People are cherry picking articles and coming to the conclusion that Stan's stats were the result of getting extra ice time and the Hawks playing some sort of run & gun game which gave him an advantage over the other superstars of his era.

Absolute nonsense. Chicago ran 3 lines just like everybody else. Mikita played the powerplay just like the superstars on the other teams. The only extra ice time he got was killing the odd penalty which other stars didn't have to do. If anything Beliveau had the unfair advantage as he didn't kill penalties and could focus on offense.

Chicago had great GA numbers during that era. Sure Hall was a big part of it but he wasn't the only reason. No more than the Habs goalies were the sole reason their GA was so good.

There are games out there to watch and I would suggest people do so instead of cherry picking SI quotes
You mentioned the problems with SI as a source. I realize they didn't have detailed hockey coverage but the fact that they were written for a general audience is what makes them interesting. They give more of a big picture look at things and include general perceptions that, say, day to day coverage by a Toronto paper might take for granted because its readers watched or listened to the games.

That being said they could be wrong, of course, like any source.

Another thing about those quotes I posted - they were specifically not cherry-picked. I skimmed every article turned up by a search for Stan Mikita and posted everything of substance. That's why the post was so long.

In any case, thanks for your input - I appreciate hearing from you and others who watched these players. Any suggestions on games to watch of the mid-60s Hawks that are online?

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:32 AM
  #546
Hawkey Town 18
Moderator
 
Hawkey Town 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,150
vCash: 500
I was unable to PM intylerwetrust. Your list has been received

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:17 PM
  #547
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,931
vCash: 500
Hawkey, can you post a list of who you've received lists from? Thanks

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 02:31 PM
  #548
Hawkey Town 18
Moderator
 
Hawkey Town 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,150
vCash: 500
Lists received from bigbuffalo313, Canadiens1958, DaveG, Dennis Bonvie, hardyvan123, Hawkey Town 18, intylerwetrust, Jigglysquishy, MadArcand, MXD, reckoning, Rob Scuderi, Sturminator, ted1971, the edler, tony D, VanIslander

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 03:30 PM
  #549
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,077
vCash: 500
so only 6 guys left to vote then?

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 03:30 PM
  #550
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
You mentioned the problems with SI as a source. I realize they didn't have detailed hockey coverage but the fact that they were written for a general audience is what makes them interesting. They give more of a big picture look at things and include general perceptions that, say, day to day coverage by a Toronto paper might take for granted because its readers watched or listened to the games.

That being said they could be wrong, of course, like any source.

Another thing about those quotes I posted - they were specifically not cherry-picked. I skimmed every article turned up by a search for Stan Mikita and posted everything of substance. That's why the post was so long.

In any case, thanks for your input - I appreciate hearing from you and others who watched these players. Any suggestions on games to watch of the mid-60s Hawks that are online?
I know you didn't cherry pick the SI articles but others have cherry picked pieces of them to support their own theories as misguided as they may be.

I am not sure what is out their on-line for mid-60's Hawk games. There must be a few on you tube. I record them on my DVR when the NHL channel shows them. I also picked up a DVD of a mid-60's Hawk/Wings game at the same time that I bought the DVD on the 61 Black hawk cup run.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.