HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jari Viuhkola

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2005, 11:40 PM
fullmetalninja

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
About young centers, anyone hasn't heard anything about bringing over swedish center Jonas Nordquist to the states this season? But if they don't want a young center like Viuhkola they maybe don't want Nordquist either. . .
I am very high on Nordqvist, but I'm not sure about the hawks. He played on the same line as Justin Williams and scored the same number of pts (and he was the finisher).

Anyway, I think he'll come over to camp and challenge for a spot as a darkhorse. Ultimately I think he'll be back in Sweden for at least 1 more year. The year after that is make or break for him.

-fullmetalninja

Old
07-21-2005, 07:49 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
BTW

I player major JR hockey in Canada from the age of 15 to 18(when my knee got blown out on lowblow in Swift current)

The level of hockey that he plays at--he would have had trouble at that level of hockey--let alone at the NHL level
Excuse me? You are saying the finnish league, and the international tournaments he has played in, are worse than the canadian junior league you once played in?

This info must come from the same site that lists Viuhkola as a 165 pounder...

I've watched NHL and the Finnish league for 15 years, I'd say I have a pretty good idea about what sort of player can make it in the NHL and what level the finnish league has. I have seen the young Saku Koivu, Teemu Selänne, Jere Lehtinen, Janne Niinimaa, Ossi Väänänen, Sami Kapanen, Tuomo Ruutu etc play here first, then in the NHL.

I watched Marek Zidlicky (and Brian Rafalski) for years before he went to NHL...he was one of the top offensive d-men in Finnish league and he is that even in the NHL. I have hard time believing that 15-18 year old d-man from your canadian junior league would be able to make that transition from being one of the best offensive D in that league, and next year doing the same in the NHL.

Finnish league is far better than any junior league, just for your information.

Old
07-21-2005, 02:49 PM
GaryU

Sharkie, old pal....Apparently you are able to p!$$ off people all over the world. Sorry to hear about you trippin over that guy in Swift Current.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:26 AM
TK79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan
I really don't think you're understanding just how high the level of NHL competition is my friend.
Actually, Viuhkola is more skilled than many 3rd/4th-line guys in the NHL. His problem in the NHL is that he's a classic "tweener": Not skilled enough to make the top 2 lines and not gritty enough to play a checking role. So he'll stay in Europe, enough said..

Old
07-26-2005, 08:28 AM
TK79

Quote:
BTW

I player major JR hockey in Canada from the age of 15 to 18(when my knee got blown out on lowblow in Swift current)

The level of hockey that he plays at--he would have had trouble at that level of hockey--let alone at the NHL level
Just this qoute alone proves you have no clue

Old
07-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Jakuchu

I don't think that Viuhkola has what it takes to get a regular spot at any NHL team, at least not at the moment. Maybe a year in AHL would be good for him though..

Old
08-11-2005, 04:53 PM
hameenlinna

Quote:
BTW

I played major junior hockey and I gurantee you Viuhkola would've been a top player in the WHL - he was phenomenal those days. Then he's made slower development and currently he might be considered for a 3rd line job but not in Chicago.

I don't think he will be signed by any team. He's just not interesting enough in that age.

Old
08-13-2005, 01:41 AM
Teemu

Jari Viuhkola has the potential to be the next Jiri Dopita... I see him crossing the pond for a year or two, and then going back. His unaggressive style doesnt suit the NHL at all

Old
08-17-2005, 03:20 AM
BlackAdderI

There is some question marks around Viuhkolas NHL-career.

Is he enough fast to NHL? If Lasse Pirjeta can play in NHL why Viuhkola wouldn't? Pirjeta played at the same time in Karpat as Jari was growing up in teams third line. Both of them are slow skaters, but Jari sees the ice much better than Pirjeta and have awesome play making skills.

Physical play isn't the problem of Viuhkola. He's not like Dopita who didn't check at all. He is not a body cruncher - because of his slow speed - but he plays smart game at the both ends of a rink like Jere Lehtinen.

Fast coast to coast game is not the game where Viuhkola is on his own. I don't know much about AHL-hockey but I know that one slow playmaker won the point spot last season

The big question is are his skills right skills to third line in NHL?

Last edited by BlackAdderI: 08-17-2005 at 03:27 AM.
Old
08-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
I can pick few players, that you might also know, who played last year in finnish league: Michael Nylander, Mike Ribeiro and Saku Koivu. In my oppion Viuhkola at best was better than any of those at their best last year.
Better than Ribeiro? Ribeiro played in a crappy team in Finland, but his stats were still better than Viuhkola's.

Viuhkola's stats:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...TRUE&pid=49094

Rideiro's stats:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=35733

And I wouldnt say that Viuhkola played better than Nylander either. Look at the stats:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=4017

Old
08-18-2005, 02:58 AM
Flonaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel
Better than Ribeiro? Ribeiro played in a crappy team in Finland, but his stats were still better than Viuhkola's.
Stats are nice. Still, I'd consider the fact that Lil' Mikey didn't play any D, at all, whatsoever, never. A lot of guys could score at a PPG pace if they wouldn't have back-check, play D, go in the corners etc.

Old
08-18-2005, 07:10 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonaldo
Stats are nice. Still, I'd consider the fact that Lil' Mikey didn't play any D, at all, whatsoever, never. A lot of guys could score at a PPG pace if they wouldn't have back-check, play D, go in the corners etc.
But comon, Ribeiro didn't play for the top team in finnish league as Viuhkola did. They indeed had different roles in their teams, but I wouldn't say Viuhkola was better than Ribeiro. Ribeiro is much more skilled and aggressive player than Viuhkola, IMO.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Flonaldo

Quote:
But comon, Ribeiro didn't play for the top team in finnish league as Viuhkola did. They indeed had different roles in their teams, but I wouldn't say Viuhkola was better than Ribeiro. Ribeiro is much more skilled and aggressive player than Viuhkola, IMO.
Ribeiro is a much, much better player than Viuhkola, that's for sure. But Viuhkola was a much, much better player in the SM-liiga last season.

Ribeiro didn't play any D and played on the PP as much as he liked. No responsibilities besides just scoring points. On the other hand Viuhkola played D, played SH and didn't get as much PP time. Ribeiro didn't play on the best team but he had decent linemates.

Old
08-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Colorado Avalanche

You can't compare with points.. So you are saying Viuhkola >>> koivu?

Old
08-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonaldo
But Viuhkola was a much, much better player in the SM-liiga last season.
I'd rather say Viuhkola was better defensive forward than Ribeiro in the SM-liiga last season. It would be ridiculous to say Viuhkola was better PLAYER last season, IMO. Ribeiro is a pure goal scorer and defending isn't his role at all.

Old
08-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Jeff

Quote:
I'd rather say Viuhkola was better defensive forward than Ribeiro in the SM-liiga last season. It would be ridiculous to say Viuhkola was better PLAYER last season, IMO. Ribeiro is a pure goal scorer and defending isn't his role at all.
Viuhkola was better player last season than Ribeiro. Period.

It doesn't matter that Ribeiro played in a "crappy" team. He had good linemates and the roster in paper is pretty good otherwise also. Ribeiro wasn't good enough to help his team to suceed last season.

Old
08-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:

It doesn't matter that Ribeiro played in a "crappy" team. He had good linemates and the roster in paper is pretty good otherwise also. Ribeiro wasn't good enough to help his team to suceed last season.
Well that's your opinion. Please explain to me, how do you think Viuhkola was better? Ribeiro has better stats; 17 points in 17 games. How do Viuhkola's stats look like? I know that Viuhkola is a defensive forward but I still can't undestand what makes Viuhkola better. Yeah, and of course Blues would have made to the playoffs if they had had Viuhkola on their roster.

Old
08-20-2005, 10:02 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:

Agreed. And to say Ribeiro played in a crap team just means he had even bigger role than Viuhkola in his team, at least Viuhkola had some competition over ice-time.

Viuhkola was better in general, but tables would probably turn if they both played in the NHL. At least Ribeiro would have a much bigger role, and more points.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:30 AM
gib

Quote:

I didn`t see significant difference between Viuhkola and Ribeiro. One thing you must remember is that Ribeiro hadn`t played a game before he came to SM-liiga. He wasn`t nowhere close to his best. There is no point comparing these two based on how they played last year in SM-liiga. If you really want to compare them let`s compare them when Viuhkola has played couple of season in NHL. Then we will see what is the real difference between Ribeiro and Viuhkola. Ribeiro has already been no.1 center in his NHL team, Viuhkola will never be.

Old
08-22-2005, 03:03 AM
Tepa

Some clips about Viuhkola. Both clips is Hal Gill on the ice as a defender and goalie is Dwayne Roloson.

Viuhkola assist the goal

http://www.oulunkarpat.fi/images/040...05_lukko_1.mpg

Viuhkola scores, Hal Gill is nearest players

http://www.oulunkarpat.fi/images/040...05_lukko_2.mpg

At least Viuhkola can score even there is two NHL guys in the ice.

Old
08-22-2005, 07:35 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepa
At least Viuhkola can score even there is two NHL guys in the ice.
Unfortunately...

I did not want to remember those

Old
08-22-2005, 07:52 AM
Tiina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib
I didn`t see significant difference between Viuhkola and Ribeiro. One thing you must remember is that Ribeiro hadn`t played a game before he came to SM-liiga. He wasn`t nowhere close to his best. There is no point comparing these two based on how they played last year in SM-liiga. If you really want to compare them let`s compare them when Viuhkola has played couple of season in NHL. Then we will see what is the real difference between Ribeiro and Viuhkola. Ribeiro has already been no.1 center in his NHL team, Viuhkola will never be.
I believe that Saku Koivu is the number one center in Montreal not Ribeiro!

Old
08-23-2005, 05:20 AM
Flonaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib
If you really want to compare them let`s compare them when Viuhkola has played couple of season in NHL. Then we will see what is the real difference between Ribeiro and Viuhkola.
Well that's besides the point. Because we weren't discussing which player is better. The point was which of them was better last season. Ribeiro is obviously the better player of the two, and just as obivously Viuhkola was better last season.

Old
08-23-2005, 08:24 AM
gib

My main point was, like I wrote, that there is no point comparing those two guys based on what they did last season in SM-liiga. Ribeiro was out of shape so why to even compare? It means nothing if Viuhkola was a better player last season(which I don`t buy).

Last edited by gib: 08-23-2005 at 08:35 AM.
Closed Thread