HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time for Lou to get his walking papers

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2013, 12:03 AM
Tundra

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Tundra is probably the biggest child on this board. Pouts about everything....Very little hockey knowledge.

If you think Sather "passed on Clowe" you know nothing about the situation and should probably refrain from commenting...
You have no clue what you're talking about. Why would Sather not sign a player who he had surrendered a 2nd and a third round pick for?? Because his medical staff told him that that were concerns over his durability going forward. Even Glen Sather walked away a from risky commitment. Maybe you should look into expanding your hockey knowledge.
Secondly, I was dead on about this team coming into the season. I predicted a bottom 5 finish in the East. This was a disaster coming and all of Lou's "brilliant" moves couldn't have stopped this inevitable slide when you no longer produce & develop NHL caliber talent.

Last edited by Tundra: 10-23-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old
10-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
You have no clue what you're talking about. Why would Sather not sign a player who he had surrendered a 2nd and a third round pick for?? Because his medical staff told him that that were concerns over his durability going forward. Even Glen Sather walked away a from risky commitment.
Because his team was strapped to the cap. Raises due to Stepan, Callahan, and Lundqvist all in the next year.

Maybe they had no intention of re signing him anyway, but I highly doubt the medical staff told him that there were concerns.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:11 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Or because the Rangers had no cap space to the point they couldn't sign anyone and had to squeeze their own RFA's resulting in them missing half of camp.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

either way the clowe signing was for too much and too long. The majority of this board bashed it to high heavens when the numbers/years were confirmed.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post
either way the clowe signing was for too much and too long. The majority of this board bashed it to high heavens when it the numbers/years were confirmed.
It was a panic move after David left. The question being...why the panic? Clowe is a character piece for a top 10 contender, not this team. He's an overpaid accessory with diminishing skills and concussion problems on this NJD team.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:20 AM
BackSpasm Kovy
Reaching for the top

Guys don't worry, we are better off with all this depth then this superstar from Russia.

Yes I want to rub it in the people who were doing victory laps before this season even started.

Don't blame Lou for what happened with Kovy, it was inevitable and he can't be blamed on that.

Don't blame Lou because he thought we had a solid line-up, seriously who thought we didn't?

Only thing he really messed up was on that 29th pick.

Now he has to quicly act or else we'll be screwed again this season.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:24 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post
either way the clowe signing was for too much and too long. The majority of this board bashed it to high heavens when the numbers/years were confirmed.
This contract depends entirely on Clowe staying healthy.

Remember, the first Zubrus contract back in Summer 2007 was universally hated by everyone. We thought we were getting the physical #1 center we had been lacking since Arnott. That didn't happen, but we still got a damn good player, and cap inflation turned the contract from very risky to dime-a-dozen.

I would have preferred giving Clowe either high cash or high term, but we ended up giving him both. But that's how the UFA tax works. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad deal. I'd rather have him than not have him. But it depends entirely on how durable he stays for us.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:54 AM
CerebralGenesis

If we lose the pick this year and Lou keeps pace to maintain that 40 pt average through the season, they should both be sent packing together. Awful.

Old
10-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevilsFan44 View Post
So the real question is from who and how are we getting our first this year? Who has multiple picks? Ideas?
they'll trade off some players for 2nd rounders, but the egg on Lou's face will be embarrassing.

Old
10-23-2013, 01:26 AM
MrLouniverse
ScoreForCory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
If we lose the pick this year and Lou keeps pace to maintain that 40 pt average through the season, they should both be sent packing together. Awful.
I'm curious as to why so many people think this might not happen? Is it just because it makes giving up the 29th pick incomprehensible if it wasn't a possibility or is there actually something to go on?

Old
10-23-2013, 02:04 AM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

They MIGHT be able to get a first rounder for Ryder assuming he keeps producing and they find a team who's desperate for scoring at the deadline. But even then, that might be wishful thinking. Sucks because hes probably already my favorite player on the team just because he doesn't play like a rotting skeleton out there. Lou could beg and plead and go to the courts as much as he wants but I really don't see Buttman showing us mercy and lifting the penalty.

Old
10-23-2013, 04:56 AM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

-Loses the team's 2 best players for NOTHING two years in a row(what GM does that?)
-Screwed up on the draft pick
-In danger of missing the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years
-Is partially responsible for the team's atrocious off-the-ice product
-Fired Julien when they were near the top of the conference late in the season
-Hasn't adapted to the new NHL by making boneheaded acquisitions left and right
-Is 71

Yet he should remain on?

Old
10-23-2013, 06:39 AM
DerekDevils30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Secondly, I was dead on about this team coming into the season. I predicted a bottom 5 finish in the East. This was a disaster coming and all of Lou's "brilliant" moves couldn't have stopped this inevitable slide when you no longer produce & develop NHL caliber talent.
See, this is funny to me. Burying a team when there is so much time left in the season. At the moment, things are not looking good at all....no doubt about it....but man oh man are you setting yourself up for a carton of eggs in the face if this team is able to turn it around somehow.

Old
10-23-2013, 06:57 AM
JT4President

Hey folks, Isles fan here. From an outside prespective, you have to feel a bit for Lou and the position that he has been forced into. Having put so much time and stock into Kovy (right move) and have him pull the plug really backed Lou into a corner that forced him to make signings that he may not normally make. He has ticket holders that hold him accountable and he had to do something. History shows GM's overpay for UFA's...this is no different for Clowe. I'm not sure you guys even sign him if Kovy stays. I don't think Lou is to blame here, just going to take a summer or 2 to fix the problem. Good news though, the Rags suck balls hahahaha

On the topic of Clowe, is there any updates on his status?

Old
10-23-2013, 06:58 AM
NC107*

Quote:
Originally Posted by billingtons ghost View Post

I also say that if we fired Lou, 29 club presidents would be picking up their phones to hire him.
I don't think his phone would ring he is 70 years old with set ways.

Old
10-23-2013, 07:02 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
**** Lou.

Old
10-23-2013, 07:18 AM
sbresistor

just fire the coach, get Lemaire to cleanup this thing for this year and all is fixed

Clowe - I was against the signing, but injuries happen - he is on IR...they can use the cap space elsewhere if they want

Old
10-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I agree that it's time for a young GM with some fresh ideas. Lou can stay on as president and Conte should get his walking papers as far as I'm concerned.

Old
10-23-2013, 07:45 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

no. you dont fire Lou. put lemaire and boucher behind the bench for the rest of the year, give boucher the reigns next season, and see what happens.

firing lou would be (edit- retarded)

Last edited by MartyOwns: 10-23-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old
10-23-2013, 07:47 AM
DerekDevils30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Lou can stay on as president and Conte should get his walking papers as far as I'm concerned.
I would agree with this, especially the Conte part. Drafting has been a sore spot.

Old
10-23-2013, 07:53 AM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

we've actually done better with our 2nd round picks than our 1sts lol

Old
10-23-2013, 07:59 AM
sbresistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
no. you dont fire Lou. put lemaire and boucher behind the bench for the rest of the year, give boucher the reigns next season, and see what happens.

firing lou would be
that could be interesting - but not sure 2 "head" coaches would work - Lemaire is the main to clean things up in the short term

Old
10-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Indifferent to it right now curious on how this team would be run under a new direction.

I also remember Zubrus saying he wanted to make sure Lou was staying ( ownership in flux ) before he resigned. I wonder despite recent struggles if Lou still makes NJ a attractive destination simply by himself.

Old
10-23-2013, 08:14 AM
MadDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post
we've actually done better with our 2nd round picks than our 1sts lol
Actually, that's just as bad. Our second round picks from 2000-2010 include such memorable names as Laine, Suglobov, DeMarchi, Martin (the lone savior on this list), Pohanka, Pihlman, Uchevatov, Kadeykin, Tallackson, Vrana, Frazee, Vasyunov (RIP), Hoeffel, Burlon, Cormier, Gelinas, and Merrill. The last two might end up being good picks, but it's still too early to tell.

Last edited by MadDevil: 10-23-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old
10-23-2013, 08:42 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

For the record I think Lou did the absolute best he could this offseason and was quite pleased. I think this is in our bonehead coach. And if this group fails with another voice then this becomes more if a Lou issue and we can revisit.

Closed Thread