HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has the time come to name a Captain?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2013, 12:53 PM
  #26
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Can any fan name an instance where having a captain would have benefited the team this season?

Haven't really thought that leadership has been an issue with the post-2012 disaster. In fact, resiliency has been probably the strongest point of the team.

Seems like a bigger issue to the fans/portzline than the team. This isn't the Grove City High School freshman football team. They don't need leaders.

In the NHL, 29 out of the 30 teams have captains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rnate_captains

Organizations of almost every type require leadership. Leadership takes on many forms, but the man wearing the "C" in hockey carries weight among his teammates. The hockey culture has always placed great significance upon it's team captains. The Blue Jackets aren't going to alter this. Or maybe they're trying to emulate the Chicago Cubs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_of_Coaches

The Jackets have already done a good enough job of emulating the Cubs

The lack of decisiveness of management in naming a Captain could be an issue with their leadership. It's not a decision that has to be permanent. Almost every type of organization seems to run better with some type of formal leadership. In hockey, it's the captaincy. The level of hockey doesn't seem to alter this fact.

Cyclones Rock is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 01:03 PM
  #27
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!
 
ClevelandJacketFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ...Really?
Country: United States
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
Leaders are leaders with or without a stupid letter on a jersey.

The rest is semantics. Do you really believe that putting a C on a guy's jersey and calling him captain is really going to suddenly give him magical leadership powers, or somehow enhance them?

The team knows who their leaders are, and the fans know who the team leaders are on the ice. C or no C, who cares? It means very little on the ice.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 01:50 PM
  #28
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 18,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I don't read AP much at all so I have not felt this subject has been worn out. But I can see how a hack like AP could do it.
I wasn't clear on that; AP talks about it when asked during his little weekly Q&A with the readers. The readers are obsessed with it.

Me? I frankly don't care if we ever have a captain. I kind of like the way things are working now.

blahblah is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 01:55 PM
  #29
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I wasn't clear on that; AP talks about it when asked during his little weekly Q&A with the readers. The readers are obsessed with it.

Me? I frankly don't care if we ever have a captain. I kind of like the way things are working now.
Ok, l've not experienced the obsession.

1857 Howitzer is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 02:26 PM
  #30
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
Leaders are leaders with or without a stupid letter on a jersey.

The rest is semantics. Do you really believe that putting a C on a guy's jersey and calling him captain is really going to suddenly give him magical leadership powers, or somehow enhance them?

The team knows who their leaders are, and the fans know who the team leaders are on the ice. C or no C, who cares? It means very little on the ice.
Look no further than 61 to find the answer to that (hint: it starts with N)

That said, I'd like to see a captain named.

db2011 is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 04:52 PM
  #31
CBJfan4evr
Registered User
 
CBJfan4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Albany
Country: United States
Posts: 778
vCash: 500
Maybe our future captain has yet to lace up his skates as a Bluejacket?

CBJfan4evr is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 04:55 PM
  #32
Samkow
Global Moderator
Gorilla Warrior
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 15,349
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
In the NHL, 29 out of the 30 teams have captains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rnate_captains

Organizations of almost every type require leadership. Leadership takes on many forms, but the man wearing the "C" in hockey carries weight among his teammates. The hockey culture has always placed great significance upon it's team captains. The Blue Jackets aren't going to alter this. Or maybe they're trying to emulate the Chicago Cubs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_of_Coaches

The Jackets have already done a good enough job of emulating the Cubs

The lack of decisiveness of management in naming a Captain could be an issue with their leadership. It's not a decision that has to be permanent. Almost every type of organization seems to run better with some type of formal leadership. In hockey, it's the captaincy. The level of hockey doesn't seem to alter this fact.
I'll rephrase a question I asked earlier and ask a new one:

1. Explain how you think the club is suffering/not benefitting by having no captain. Are we cup winners/something significantly better with a captain?

2. Do you feel the club's leadership is a problem at the moment?

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.

Last edited by Samkow: 10-23-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Samkow is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 04:58 PM
  #33
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 18,291
vCash: 500
i think Marcel Marceau said it best....

NO

Fro is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 05:07 PM
  #34
Socks
Stuff and Things Man
 
Socks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Stuff and Things
Country: United States
Posts: 7,849
vCash: 500
I don't have the quote off hand but Cam made it clear last night that they consider Dubi their leader. I don't think putting a letter on his chest will change anything but when it does happen I think it's clear who it'll be.

Socks is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 05:13 PM
  #35
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks View Post
I don't have the quote off hand but Cam made it clear last night that they consider Dubi their leader. I don't think putting a letter on his chest will change anything but when it does happen I think it's clear who it'll be.
Cam's quote is in my OP.

"He's our leader, for sure. I think it's pretty obvious. I love playing with him" - Cam Atkinson

1857 Howitzer is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 05:17 PM
  #36
Socks
Stuff and Things Man
 
Socks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Stuff and Things
Country: United States
Posts: 7,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Cam's quote is in my OP.

"He's our leader, for sure. I think it's pretty obvious. I love playing with him" - Cam Atkinson
Lol I totally didn't see that.

Socks is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 05:20 PM
  #37
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Jaxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,170
vCash: 500
Dubi for captain, name Dubi captain already.

Jaxs is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 05:35 PM
  #38
pete goegan
Registered User
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I'll rephrase a question I asked earlier and ask a new one:

1. Explain how you think the club is suffering/not benefitting by having no captain. Are we cup winners/something significantly better with a captain?

2. Do you feel the club's leadership is a problem at the moment?
Have we won or contended for a Cup with a weak captain?
Are we among the top teams in the league, now, without one?
Has a team without a captain ever won the Cup?
Are there any other teams in the league without one?
Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel?

If they have been waiting for a leader to emerge, it appears to have happened. Pin the damn letter on and move forward!

pete goegan is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 05:49 PM
  #39
BoonesJenner
Registered User
 
BoonesJenner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,321
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr View Post
Maybe our future captain has yet to lace up his skates as a Bluejacket?
I'm gonna catch a lot of flak from this but I think we maintain the 4 A's this season, and then by Christmas next season Ryan Murray is named captain. He was not only drafted for his ability on the ice, but his character off the ice as well. He has been named captain of every team he has EVER played for. And was the youngest captain in Everett's history. I think everyone is slowly starting to see how much potential this kid has and by next season he'll be ready to take the next step.

BoonesJenner is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 05:50 PM
  #40
5StringBuzz
Registered User
 
5StringBuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 500
I really don't want to trade Johnson or Dubinski or have either of them request a trade, so let's just leave them with their "A's" for now

5StringBuzz is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 05:54 PM
  #41
Samkow
Global Moderator
Gorilla Warrior
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 15,349
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Have we won or contended for a Cup with a weak captain?
Remember when everyone used to whine about Euro's being named captain because they never won the cup? Chara, Lidstrom, etc. all sorta defied the conventional mold of a captain and they did just fine. And I wouldn't exactly call Crosby a leader of men. Maybe having one guy with a C on his jersey doesn't mean much?

Quote:
Are we among the top teams in the league, now, without one?
Does anything really change on ice with or without a captain? Why meddle with anything off ice? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Quote:
Has a team without a captain ever won the Cup?
No. But why not try to be the first? I'd love to see a rock-paper-scissors game between Johnson and Dubi to see who gets handed the cup first.

Quote:
Are there any other teams in the league without one?
No, but Buffalo has sort of an unconventional setup. I know they're not exactly a team to emulate but dual-captaincy might be a good idea for this team.

Quote:
Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel?
Just the same, why are we making an issue out of something that isn't an issue?

If they have been waiting for a leader to emerge, it appears to have happened. Pin the damn letter on and move forward![/QUOTE]

Moral of my question-filled replies to this post. Are the small benefits of having a captain really worth potentially upsetting the locker room chemistry of the room?

Samkow is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 06:20 PM
  #42
CBJfan4evr
Registered User
 
CBJfan4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Albany
Country: United States
Posts: 778
vCash: 500
Nathan Horton, gritty game, long term contract, etc, etc.... Play with 4 A's and let it sort itself out. In the end Dubinsky or Horton will wear the C IMHO.

CBJfan4evr is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 06:24 PM
  #43
pete goegan
Registered User
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Moral of my question-filled replies to this post. Are the small benefits of having a captain really worth potentially upsetting the locker room chemistry of the room?
Why would we assume it would be upsetting? Have even one of these guys ever played on a team without a captain? Is it not just as likely that they may be uncomfortable with the team leadership being unrecognized?

To be honest, I'm pretty much just looking at this on a theoretical level, I don't really care who or if a captain is named. Seems to me that it's inevitable, though, Richards doesn't strike me as the revolutionary sort who will go against all hockey precedence and forego the captaincy.

pete goegan is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 06:33 PM
  #44
skimp
Registered User
 
skimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,739
vCash: 500
Fine. I'll do it.

skimp is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 08:28 AM
  #45
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,140
vCash: 1909
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
I'm gonna catch a lot of flak from this but I think we maintain the 4 A's this season, and then by Christmas next season Ryan Murray is named captain. He was not only drafted for his ability on the ice, but his character off the ice as well. He has been named captain of every team he has EVER played for. And was the youngest captain in Everett's history. I think everyone is slowly starting to see how much potential this kid has and by next season he'll be ready to take the next step.
Boone Jenner was captain at Oshawa. Only point I would make is that both Murray and Jenner are still young, and I would give it a couple years to see which of these two might evolve into NHL captain material.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 08:50 AM
  #46
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Why would we assume it would be upsetting? Have even one of these guys ever played on a team without a captain? Is it not just as likely that they may be uncomfortable with the team leadership being unrecognized?

To be honest, I'm pretty much just looking at this on a theoretical level, I don't really care who or if a captain is named. Seems to me that it's inevitable, though, Richards doesn't strike me as the revolutionary sort who will go against all hockey precedence and forego the captaincy.
Rumor had it that Dubi was upset that Callahan was named C over him and his subsequent "decline" in NY was somewhat related. Just something I've read on Rangers' board but it could be true.

To me I could care less if the Jackets have a C, but I'd vote for Dubi over JJ when the time comes. Just seems like their is more fire in Dubi.

EspenK is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 09:31 AM
  #47
cbjfaninmo
More Push-ups
 
cbjfaninmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lake Ozark, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StringBuzz View Post
I really don't want to trade Johnson or Dubinski or have either of them request a trade, so let's just leave them with their "A's" for now
Maybe you're on to something... JK Is leaving the door open for a possible trade, so there is no need to name a C until he has decided to keep one or both of JJ and Dubi

cbjfaninmo is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 09:56 AM
  #48
Iron Balls McGinty
Registered User
 
Iron Balls McGinty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sec. 203/Worthington
Country: United States
Posts: 2,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjfaninmo View Post
Maybe you're on to something... JK Is leaving the door open for a possible trade, so there is no need to name a C until he has decided to keep one or both of JJ and Dubi
Let's be serious here for a moment, if these are the guys worthy of wearing a C, why would you consider trading them.

Additionally, not naming a C because you "might" trade one is ludicrous. Making a decision like that is bad in both regards.

I seriously doubt the Red Wings ever wavered on naming Stevie Y captain because they considered trading him. if the thought of trading one of them comes up, its because they obviously don't see them as captain material.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 10:02 AM
  #49
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 18,291
vCash: 500
IBM

I believe it was a backhanded Foote and Nash joke...not serious

Fro is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 10:26 AM
  #50
pete goegan
Registered User
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Rumor had it that Dubi was upset that Callahan was named C over him and his subsequent "decline" in NY was somewhat related. Just something I've read on Rangers' board but it could be true.
Interesting, I hadn't read that. Then again, I've visited some Rangers fan sites and they are every bit as deranged as fans are, here, so I'm not sure how much stock to put in these reports!

pete goegan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.