HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Coots: Sean Couturier

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2013, 01:10 PM
usahockey22flyers
Shot, Rebound, Score

vCash: 500
What a friggen night in Detroit. Good for the kid.

Lavy can suck it.

Wearing my Couts shirt proud in DC today.

Old
12-05-2013, 01:21 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Figures Seravalli was one of the misguided ones....

So glad Lavi was canned before he did more damage...

Quote:
Iíll be the first to admit that I thought it might have been wise for Paul Holmgren to explore Couturierís trade value last summer. If he didnít start scoring, or at least show glimpses of the offensive player we saw in the 2012 playoffs, his value might have soon plummeted. Strong defensive players donít grow on trees, but there are reliable guys out there with half the value and half the salary. His defense seemed to wane in last yearís lockout-shortened season.

It seems thatís because too much was being asked of him by Peter Laviolette. The coaching change has done wonders for the 20-year-old. I caught up with Couturier and Berube a couple weeks back and both seemed confident this would happen. Sometimes, it's important to be reminded that Couturier cannot even legally by an alcoholic beverage in the United States - he turns 21 on Saturday.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/s...QCC5Ul8Q7CI.99

Old
12-05-2013, 01:29 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Figures Seravalli was one of the misguided ones....

So glad Lavi was canned before he did more damage...
Outside of Frank's idiocy, trading ANY young player after a promising rookie season and then the well known sophomore slump is a mistake. So really double dumb on Frank's part.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
BillDineen- I was big on couturier from the get go and really thought he was great his rookie year. But his sophmore year the first game I saw him i could tell he made no physical improvements to a body that needed it.

I too thought if he displayed another year where he didn't show development his trade value would plummet.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

It was a sophomore half a year....wasn't even a full year. Yeah he regressed somewhat from his rookie year but with that dope Lavi, the lockout, and Holmgren having a poor offseason because he swung for the fences and struck out...then the injuries, I wasn't about to pin it all on Coots. There was enough crap that needed to be held accountable than a 19 year old...

Old
12-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
It was a sophomore half a year....wasn't even a full year. Yeah he regressed somewhat from his rookie year but with that dope Lavi, the lockout, and Holmgren having a poor offseason because he swung for the fences and struck out...then the injuries, I wasn't about to pin it all on Coots. There was enough crap that needed to be held accountable than a 19 year old...
Some of that drop was on his minutes as well... they were probably 2nd-3rd hardest in the league last year. (Instead of ~10th (this year) and ~15th-20th (1st year) among forwards in the NHL.)

But yeh, he is so much better physically now, and while his minutes last year were harder they are not too dissimilar to now apart from zone starts.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Curufinwe

Some top 10 picks don't break out till they're 23. The lack of patience some people have shown with Couturier has been actuely embarrassing.

Just one example...

Daniel Sedin scored 68 points in his first 154 games (0.44 PPG), and he was 20 and 21 years old during those two seasons. Sedin didn't break 50 till he was 23 and didn't become a PPG player till he was 26.

Sean Couturier has scored 56 points in his first 151 games (0.37 PPG), and he was 18, 19 and 20 during those three seasons. I'm also willing to wager that Couturier had worse linemates and played tougher minutes than Sedin did.

I don't expect Couturier to ever be more than a 55 point scorer, but the Daniel Sedin example clearly shows that some top draft picks take several years to reach their potential.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Some of that drop was on his minutes as well... they were probably 2nd-3rd hardest in the league last year. (Instead of ~10th (this year) and ~15th-20th (1st year) among forwards in the NHL.)

But yeh, he is so much better physically now, and while his minutes last year were harder they are not too dissimilar to now apart from zone starts.
Only allowing him to start in the O zone 20% of the time was asinine.

Old
12-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Mota

Coots has been playing great hockey for about a month now, yet he never seemed to be getting much love from the local media. Now that he has a 4 point game, Serivalli, Carchidi, Baicker, etc cant shut up about him. Funny how that works.

Old
12-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Coots has been playing great hockey for about a month now, yet he never seemed to be getting much love from the local media. Now that he has a 4 point game, Serivalli, Carchidi, Baicker, etc cant shut up about him. Funny how that works.
Beat writers are like the main board posters.

Old
12-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
We were all over Couturier before it was cool.

12-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Some top 10 picks don't break out till they're 23. The lack of patience some people have shown with Couturier has been actuely embarrassing.

Just one example...

Daniel Sedin scored 68 points in his first 154 games (0.44 PPG), and he was 20 and 21 years old during those two seasons. Sedin didn't break 50 till he was 23 and didn't become a PPG player till he was 26.

Sean Couturier has scored 56 points in his first 151 games (0.37 PPG), and he was 18, 19 and 20 during those three seasons. I'm also willing to wager that Couturier had worse linemates and played tougher minutes than Sedin did.

I don't expect Couturier to ever be more than a 55 point scorer, but the Daniel Sedin example clearly shows that some top draft picks take several years to reach their potential.

I wouldn't expect him not to be, either. Supposing he continues to improve over the next 5 years, who knows where his development leads him. I say we shouldn't be so hasty to put a modest ceiling on his overall game.

Old
12-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Damaged Goods

Imagine if Laughton is the real deal and in a couple years he becomes close to the luxury at 3C that Couturier is now...

Giroux / Couturier / Laughton down the middle... wow.

Old
12-05-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Imagine if Laughton is the real deal and in a couple years he becomes close to the luxury at 3C that Couturier is now...

I'm on board with the Laughton love. Boy, we're good at drafting centers.

Old
12-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Funf

I'm all about that 2012 draft. I get all giddy thinking about a future 3rd line of Leier-Laughton-Cousins.

If they pan out like I'm thinking/hoping they will.

Old
12-05-2013, 05:51 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf View Post
I'm all about that 2012 draft. I get all giddy thinking about a future 3rd line of Leier-Laughton-Cousins.

If they pan out like I'm thinking/hoping they will.
That line is kinda on the small side. Take Leier off and through Simmer on though, that could make a heck of a line. They would piss off everybody on the opposing team.

Old
12-05-2013, 05:52 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post

Just one example...

I'm expecting many 65 point seasons and a few PPG seasons. Watching him develop in the Q and last years AHL play has me convinced. Its ALL about confidence with him, and now that seems to be back, the next step will be getting stronger.

I predict in 3 years, once hes all beefy, we're gonna talk about "beast-mode" or "angry" just like we do with coburn. He needs to be pissed sometimes to play his best, Physical hockey. He has limitless potential once he realizes it.

Oh. And he's officially a "Hot Cooter"

Old
12-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I think Couts' grandmother passed away. http://theqmjhl.ca/article/condolenc...-family/154456

Old
12-05-2013, 11:34 PM
CyborgLindros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post

Schenn moved to wing, cousins moved to wing. Realistically there is still an elephant in the room. What becomes of Lecavalier?

Old
12-05-2013, 11:53 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgLindros View Post
Schenn moved to wing, cousins moved to wing. Realistically there is still an elephant in the room. What becomes of Lecavalier?
I think it's a pipedream to think Cousins will be good enough to make Vinny have to move. If Laughton is the real deal and Couturier keeps maturing like we all think he will, Schenn looks like he'll be the odd man out.

Old
12-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgLindros View Post
Also moved to wing, haha.

Old
12-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Vinny g vorabeast
Hartnell coots read
Downie laughton simmer
Raffl hall cousins

Sign me up

Old
12-06-2013, 01:32 AM
panayiotis

best player

Yes even better then Claude. The flyers answer To moose messier. Dude is a Hulk.

Old
12-06-2013, 10:18 AM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Vinny g vorabeast
Hartnell coots read
Downie laughton simmer
Raffl hall cousins

Sign me up
What happened to Schenn? I'd put him on Couts left wing over Hartnell, always thought Schenn and Couts looked good when they play together. Maybe:

Read - G - Vinny
Schenn - Couts - Voracek
Downie - Laughton - Simmonds
Hartnell? - Hall - Rinaldo

Don't think we have room for Hartnell moving forward. He's already declining it seems like and we have solid replacements in Simmonds and Downie.

Old
12-06-2013, 11:23 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
What happened to Schenn? I'd put him on Couts left wing over Hartnell, always thought Schenn and Couts looked good when they play together. Maybe:

Read - G - Vinny
Schenn - Couts - Voracek
Downie - Laughton - Simmonds
Hartnell? - Hall - Rinaldo

Don't think we have room for Hartnell moving forward. He's already declining it seems like and we have solid replacements in Simmonds and Downie.
He's one of several posters who doesn't like Schenn very much.

I don't think it's very logical but that's just my opinion.

Closed Thread