HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Coots: Sean Couturier

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post

There were plenty of Couturier fan boys saying this guy was going to be a consistent 55+ guy -- they have backtracked quite a bit in the past few weeks -- but they are still there, believe me
I read back to page 13 and didn't find anything of the sort. I did find you crapping on him over anything and everything you could, though.

01-06-2014, 04:34 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
What I am trying to say:

He is better defensively than he is offensively. Therefore, he will continue to get tough match ups.

Considering the match ups he will get; for him to put up 60 points, he would have to be a great offensive player. I do not believe that he is.
Considering nobody in the NHL is capable of doing this, I, as well as most on here, agree with this whole heartedly.

The two-way players that put up big numbers (eg, Kopitar, Toews, etc.) don't get nearly the difficulty of minutes as Couturier. The shutdown guys who do play similar minutes to Couturer (eg, Bergeron, J. Staal) represent what Couturier can realistically become if his minutes remain where they are-- a 50ish point guy that neutralizes opposing top lines.

Quote:
I don't think he could put up 60 even with better match ups.
This is where I disagree. Couturier's minutes are obscenely stifling for any offensive ability. Even the Toewses and Kopitars of the NHL couldn't put up 60+ with the ice time Couturier gets.

In his prime, I have no doubt Couturier could put up 60 if he got the same minutes as the above players.

Quote:
There were plenty of Couturier fan boys saying this guy was going to be a consistent 55+ guy -- they have backtracked quite a bit in the past few weeks -- but they are still there, believe me
Why is that so absurd? It's essentially saying that Couturier will be a Jordan Staal clone. That's not really an outlandish expectation.

Old
01-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Yeah, that's the other thing. Even though it doesn't look like anybody in this thread has made such predictions, it's not an outrageous prediction at all.

The kid is 21, and it's not like his development has already ceased. I think sg12lw is just over-the-top negative regarding Couturier.

Old
01-06-2014, 05:38 PM
DrHamburg

Couturier does have some things going against his offensive production.

- He will most likely always be the teams best defensive forward. Most likely picked to start in his own zone.
- Will most likely have other defense first wingers
- Isn't a great skater
- Isn't that fast

If he continues his pace this season he will end up with 35 points or so. His shooting % is about 8% So I am not sure how much better that can get. But he has a few things going for him. If he can improve his skating on offense, he will be able to help out and push the puck and get a lot more assists. Also with Laughton coming up next season, that should help the Flyers defense and may get SC more chances in the offensive zone. Considering he is only 21 I would imagine his skating would get better and next season he could get Read + Simmonds/Vinny on his line all season long. If that was the case, I think I would be sad if he didn't get at least 45-50 points next season in a shutdown role. But if he gets someone like Hartnell on his line with a defense first forward, he wont get 50 points.

But yeah people should be excited that at 21 he will be a 35-40 point player with a starting zone % that is last of the top 9 forwards all while being the shutdown center of the team.

Old
01-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
If he finishes the season with over 40 points it will be pretty freaking awesome considering the minutes he plays...

+1.3 QoC and >45% zone starts aint a great combo for point production.

There are actually only 19 forwards in the NHL this year with over 1 QoC and >45%, and 11 centres.

+1.25 QoC and >45% zone starts? 8 centres. And non of them get the kind of PK mins Couturier does either.

Old
01-06-2014, 06:04 PM
GagneHanson12

Quote:
Yes, they guy who thinks it is ridiculous to compare Sean Couturier to Steve Yzerman is the idiot....not the people who think he is already a top 5 two way forward in the game...
There have been posts with stats showing he is arguably one of the top 5 DEFENSIVE forwards in the league, no one said 2 way.
Quote:
Ohhhh noooo someone doesnt think Couturier is going to be a consistent 60 point player. What is the world coming to!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with being a 30-40 point shutdown guy. Once again, I have no problem with Couts being that guy. I pray that he is...but he wont be a 60 point guy.
No there isn't anything wrong with that but he has shown flashes of much more.
Quote:
Fun fact: mike richards is barely a consistent 60 point guy -- and he is a hell of a lot better than sean couturier
Richards played with pure heart when he was here, with the strong defence and scoring he was quite the valuable player.
Quote:
If you think Couts is up there with Toews and Datsyuk, and the other two way 60 point forwards....then you need to start watching other teams play. Those guys are in another league
Those guys are not 60 point forwards. They are closer to PPG+.
Quote:
Yes, I am aware of Sean's age before you decide to ask me that question again

All I have been saying this whole thread, is that if you dont lower the expectations for this kid, you are setting him up to fail
I'm not sure if you are, considering you are ready to write the kid off as a 3rd line center and nothing more.

Finally, I'm going to reiterate my point. Again, NO ONE SAID COUTURIER IS GOING TO BE AS GOOD AS STEVE YZERMAN OR RON FRANCIS. They said he could turn into a player who plays a similar game (very strong defensively, still puts up points) and a player who was not a speed demon but was able to put up points regardlessly.

Old
01-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Laughton is a heart and soul guy who will give you everything he has on every shift and he makes it known.
Oh, so he's one of those mythical beasts

Old
01-06-2014, 11:03 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

Probably been relied on too much. I think his minutes should be limited under 20.

Old
01-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

His ice time has nearly doubled this year. It's likely he'd get worn down.

Old
01-07-2014, 02:06 AM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
It's time Couturier gets back on track. When is the next game against the Penguins?

Old
01-08-2014, 09:11 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Yeah he has been off......don't like him playing with Vinny. Him and Read have good chemistry but Read had tailed off a bit even before the injury.

Old
01-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Prongo
Beer

He has to keep his damn skates moving. Too many times I see him gliding and not striding. He needs to keep his feet going hard all the time. JVR had the exact same problem while here, he seems to have fixed it. Couts will learn, it's only a matter of time. When he gets there, he is a pretty fast skater.

Old
01-08-2014, 09:28 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
He has to keep his damn skates moving. Too many times I see him gliding and not striding. He needs to keep his feet going hard all the time. JVR had the exact same problem while here, he seems to have fixed it. Couts will learn, it's only a matter of time. When he gets there, he is a pretty fast skater.
Yeah I agree....I've noticed him gliding. He probably is starting to wear a bit and Vinny's sucky D isn't helping

Old
01-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Stizzle

I hope they take Vinny off his line ASAP. It's really hurting Couturier.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:07 PM
SolidSnakeUS

They're hurting each other really.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Funf

Couts really needs solid defensive wingers to help that line break out of the zone. It felt like every d-zone draw last night, we were getting pinned in for like, 45 seconds.

Like with most 21 year olds, he just needs to work on consistency. We know he has the talent, he just needs to bring it on a nightly basis.

Although I would like to know what happened to his hands. I remember him scoring a couple beauties during his rookie season, and now it seems like every time he's got a nice shot on net, he toes it or hits the defender or something. Or hits the post like last night.

Edit: I just checked NHL.com, his shooting percentage is down about 3% from his rookie season, but he's on pace for more shots as well. Probably due to the increased ice time.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
They're hurting each other really.
Vinny is going to hurt whomever he is paired with right now because he's obviously struggling. If it's something the trainers believe he just needs to work through, then I am fine letting him work through it with Couturier and eventually Read. That could pay longer term dividends for Couturier because it's not like LeCavalier has forgotten how to play offensive hockey since the start of the season.

Now, if Vinny is playing through a nagging injury that needs rest.... he needs to sit when Read returns.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:45 PM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
We need to play the Pens and Shrek ASAP. This will bring Coots back on track.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:50 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
We need to play the Pens and Shrek ASAP. This will bring Coots back on track.
You'll be waiting a while; next Flyers/Pens game is March 15th.

01-08-2014, 03:50 PM
MrHockey1982

http://beta.thescore.com/nhl/news/402290

According to The Score, Couturier is the league's best penalty killer by a wide margin.

Nice job Sean!

Old
01-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Appleyard

It does not help that Vinny takes his position half the time when they are together, it happened like 5 times vs the Devils, Vinny pushes Couts out to wing with backchecking through the neutral zone, they get an easy entry as Vinny is shocking on D... and then Vinny decides he is going to go and play on the boards as the opposition start to set up.

Quite infuriating.

Old
01-08-2014, 08:06 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Why does Couturier still missing his two teeth on the front? It' been two years now... He just don't care or what? It's usually pretty easy to replace it...

Old
01-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
Why does Couturier still missing his two teeth on the front? It' been two years now... He just don't care or what? It's usually pretty easy to replace it...
English at heart?

I imagine he has clip in front teeth for when at home, out etc... no point getting them redone over and over.

Old
01-08-2014, 08:21 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I imagine he has clip in front teeth for when at home, out etc... no point getting them redone over and over.

This was taken (with Harry Zolniercyk) after his first NHL goal.

01-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
Giroux never got his missing tooth replaced. What's the point when a random puck could destroy their teeth again at any time.

Closed Thread