HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Clarkie ready to part with a vet D-man...

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 01:37 AM
Flyman

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Clarkie ready to part with a vet D-man...

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/hockey/6887208.htm

In this article, Clarkie says clearly that he is ready to trade one of his veteran D-man to make room for Vandermeer is this one justify it.

But Hitch doesn't seem to agree with his boss. He prefers to have "eight or nine D-men".

Bundy and Rags seem to be the most threatenned by these declarations...cuz I don't think Weino is on the list.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:55 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
There's definately no harm in keeping 8 or 9 D men around, especially with Rico being another year older and all the injuries this team endures each season.

If we do deal one of Therien, Rags or Wino, it's "see ya Bundy" time........hopefully.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:08 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker
it's "see ya Bundy" time........hopefully.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:28 AM
Dr Love

An article in the CP yesterday hinted that Weinrich might retire after this season. If he is he won't fetch much in return, and either way I'd rather have him than Bundy, Weinrich is more valuable to the Flyers than Therien or Ragnarsson; although part of me wants to keep Therien, with so much player movement in all of sports these days it's nice to have guys that have been here for 10+ years from the start of their career.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:39 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
although part of me wants to keep Therien, with so much player movement in all of sports these days it's nice to have guys that have been here for 10+ years from the start of their career.
Why couldn't it have been a Janne Niinimaa that was here on our blueline for 10+ years? I'm sure Rico would agree........

Old
09-29-2003, 05:58 AM
fan mao rong

originator

Somehow the link doesn't work as of now. But since I seen everything on Philly site lately, perhaps I missed something. Don't recall Clarke saying he was ready to trade veteran D to make room for young D or all that. They have 5 veteran D and 5 generally well regarded younger D ready to move in in the next couple of years. If they wanted to sign or acquire a veteran D to replace veteran they trade the salary savings would probably be minimal. And the new player would not know the system here, likely. Maybe they make no move at this point.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of one of the vet d-men yet, espically sine Weinrich's contract is up and they just resigned Ragnarsson. If 2 vets in the top 7 we have now (Desjardins, Johnsson, Weinrich, Therien, Ragnarsson) with the other spots going to 2 rookies, then we would have 4 rookies in the lineup, unless we get someone else to simply be on the roster (a la guys in the past like Franistek Kucera, Zarley Zalapski, Chris Joseph or even giving John Slaney some shifts we can keep Woywitka and Seidenberg on the Phantoms getting top line ice time), and I don't care how good the rookies are, it is never a good situation.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:11 AM
FlyersFan10*

Jesus H. Christ, I'm so sick and tired of hearing about the rookies and we can't have too many rookies in the lineup because it isn't a good thing, blah blah blah. If the rookies have played better than the vets then you know what, let the rookies play. I don't give a rats ass about "well the rookies don't have enough experience" or "starting too many rookies isn't a good thing." It's a load of bullsh*t and nothing more than an excuse. If they have outplayed the vets, they deserve it. We have four young defensemen who are going to be all stars. Now is the time to start grooming them to take over the team. If that means they make a mistake or ten, fine, so be it. I'd rather have a rookie who makes a mistake and learns from it than a veteran who continues to make the same mistakes over and over again and expects different results.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:24 AM
Dr Love

I see no reason to move any of them. Last year Hitchcock wanted 8 dmen, he got 8 dmen, and low and behold, a dman got injured in the playoffs, just the reason he wanted 8 dmen. Injuries happen, having 8 defensemen and 14 forwards is not a bad thing.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:28 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I see no reason to move any of them. Last year Hitchcock wanted 8 dmen, he got 8 dmen, and low and behold, a dman got injured in the playoffs, just the reason he wanted 8 dmen. Injuries happen, having 8 defensemen and 14 forwards is not a bad thing.

We actually now have 9. No reason to just dump a guy, but if something of value can be picked up go ahead and move one. If come March they decide they need another rental, one can be had for a late round pick.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:34 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
We actually now have 9. No reason to just dump a guy, but if something of value can be picked up go ahead and move one. If come March they decide they need another rental, one can be had for a late round pick.
True, the Flyers have 9, but still, no reason to simply deal one away. I agree, if something of value can be had, no problem.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
True, the Flyers have 9, but still, no reason to simply deal one away. I agree, if something of value can be had, no problem.
Clarke has always dealt players away if they are NHL standard but have no space on the Flyers, I assume he would do the same to one of the veteran D men.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:23 AM
Brad*

If a defenseman has to be moved, I'm hoping it's Therien. Still, having 9 NHL defenseman seems like a good problem to have, right?

Old
09-29-2003, 01:11 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Package up Therien and Brashear and solve 2 problems at once. Brashear could fetch a 3rd rounder and Therien is worth a mid-low round pick, maybe a 5th-7th rounder. Maybe the both of them together is worth a 2nd round pick? It's not like these useless **** are doing anything to help the team anyways.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:43 PM
davehfdub

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker
Why couldn't it have been a Janne Niinimaa that was here on our blueline for 10+ years? I'm sure Rico would agree........
It means nothing but, if Therein is such a terrible burden to Desjardins the +/- numbers don't show it.

Rico's +/- the last 5 seasons 18,20,-3,-1, 30
Bundy +/- the last 5 seasons 16,11,22,16, 10

2001-2002 Rico and Bundy are seperated and Therein is still a plus.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:47 PM
IronMarshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Jesus H. Christ, I'm so sick and tired of hearing about the rookies and we can't have too many rookies in the lineup because it isn't a good thing, blah blah blah. If the rookies have played better than the vets then you know what, let the rookies play. I don't give a rats ass about "well the rookies don't have enough experience" or "starting too many rookies isn't a good thing." It's a load of bullsh*t and nothing more than an excuse. If they have outplayed the vets, they deserve it. We have four young defensemen who are going to be all stars. Now is the time to start grooming them to take over the team. If that means they make a mistake or ten, fine, so be it. I'd rather have a rookie who makes a mistake and learns from it than a veteran who continues to make the same mistakes over and over again and expects different results.

Wow! Isn't this a secularist site? You can blasphemy the Christian Messiah and yet you get bleeped out for saying "kitty" the other way when you are really saying "Kitty!" and not some female anatomical part.

As for your post, I don't believe they will do that, but I would have no problem if circumstances warrented, phasing in all 4 during the season.

Closed Thread