HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII: "The makeup has to be jigged"

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2013, 02:30 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Our losing this year is going to send the wrong signal to UFA's and players with expiring contracts. Krueger had begun to dig us out, and now we're back in the basement. Edmonton factor + failure factor = no interest, high prices. We are going to be in a bad spot.
For UFAs, yes, and we may still be in need of a starting goaltender. Even for the spirits of our young players, losing takes a toll. MacT will have to use some of our trade chips to turn this around. Presently, Eakins is running around with a fire extinguisher on the Hindenburg.

Old
10-29-2013, 02:40 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I should add that part of the reason I think Hall should be dangled is that he is the only top 6 (maybe even top 9) forward on the team not to have fully bought in to Eakins' system. Only imo of course, but every other forward has bought in. Hemsky is playing the most complete hockey of his career, Perron and Gordon have been revelations, Arcobello is playing way above his weight class, Eberle is driving the net a lot more, RNH isn't shying away from contact, etc.

Hall continues to try get by on physical talents alone, thinks he can outdeke the entire defence at times, still tries to play cutesy with the puck high in the offensive zone which is the worst place a turnover can take place, and is half-hearted with his committment on defense.

I know it seems like I'm doing a lot of Hall bashing tonight, but it's just frustrating because a guy with his physical talents should be dominating a lot more if he were a bit smarter and more committed on the ice. I say this with some sadness, but it is a good thing Ference was made the C, not Hall.
The Hall you're talking about is only around for the first 10-15 games of the season. After that, he plays lights out and at an elite level. It happened in his rookie year (never scored until his 8th game), his sophomore year (remember the Seguin >>> Hall threads), and it happened last year, but he was in OKC at the time. When he's on, he down right controls the game. We saw it happen last year where he basically took that team on his back and made them compete for a playoff berth before the team completely burned. Don't know why he ALWAYS starts slow, but he does.

Hall @ his best > Any player on the team @ their best

Old
10-29-2013, 03:58 AM
Bergeron47

Is Campbell even rumored to be shopped?

Tallon signed him to that massive deal in Chicago, and then became GM in Florida and traded for him.

Why would he be looking to trade him now? His contract is $7M and Florida has a hard enough time reaching the floor as it is.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:21 AM
Baggers

Quote:
Legitimately asking: Who thinks the Oilers should tank now?

The season is basically over. It's sad to say that at the end of October, but it is what it is. This team isn't good enough to go on a run and if MacT decides to make bandaid fixes it'll probably cost this team their first rounder.

I might as well answer my own question: Yes.

Ekblad should be very good.

The team probably isn't good enough to make the playoffs next year either.

Might as well load 'er up with McDavid.

I realize this is the same old stuff we've been saying the last 4-5 years, but is there a realistically better option with Lowe and MacT in charge?

Rebuild the rebuild.
I don't want to see the team tank, but I also don't want to see MacT mortgage the future for the team to finish 8th last in the league instead of 4th last.

Like it or not, I think the team ad constructed will be the team until the trade deadline - if the team is out of it at that point, move Hemsky, Nick Schultz, Potter, Grebeshkov, Jones, etc. for whatever the team can get and go heavy on the Lander, Pitlick, Klefbom and Marincin to see if they've got what it takes.

Old
10-29-2013, 06:12 AM
duul

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
I don't want to see the team tank, but I also don't want to see MacT mortgage the future for the team to finish 8th last in the league instead of 4th last.

Like it or not, I think the team ad constructed will be the team until the trade deadline - if the team is out of it at that point, move Hemsky, Nick Schultz, Potter, Grebeshkov, Jones, etc. for whatever the team can get and go heavy on the Lander, Pitlick, Klefbom and Marincin to see if they've got what it takes.
I don't understand the point of trading away Hemsky. Imagine Eberle or Yak slump/get injured. This is our RW depth right now.

Eberle
Hemsky
Yakupov
Pitlick
Eager

Now imagine we trade Hemsky and one of our two skilled RW's is injured.

Yakupov
Pitlick
Eager
?????

If we are trading one of Eberle/Yakupov/Hemsky we betting be adding whatever it takes to get a quality rugged RW in return. I know we would be probably trading one of these guys for a defenceman but I'd package prospects/picks along with them to acquire someone like Marchand, Stewart, Peverley (can play both C and RW). These options can play up and down the lineup where as I would not trust Pitlick or Eager anywhere near the top 6.

Old
10-29-2013, 06:15 AM
Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post

Tallon signed him to that massive deal in Chicago, and then became GM in Florida and traded for him.

Why would he be looking to trade him now? His contract is $7M and Florida has a hard enough time reaching the floor as it is.
Well, if it's overpaid players that can be used to reach the salary floor, Edmonton has plenty to offer Florida...

Old
10-29-2013, 08:27 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
I don't understand the point of trading away Hemsky. Imagine Eberle or Yak slump/get injured. This is our RW depth right now.

Eberle
Hemsky
Yakupov
Pitlick
Eager

Now imagine we trade Hemsky and one of our two skilled RW's is injured.

Yakupov
Pitlick
Eager
?????

If we are trading one of Eberle/Yakupov/Hemsky we betting be adding whatever it takes to get a quality rugged RW in return. I know we would be probably trading one of these guys for a defenceman but I'd package prospects/picks along with them to acquire someone like Marchand, Stewart, Peverley (can play both C and RW). These options can play up and down the lineup where as I would not trust Pitlick or Eager anywhere near the top 6.
If any team has two injuries to the same position they are pretty much screwed. I mean look around the league and you'll see that very few teams are capable of icing a team with that kind of lineup. You have to build a team so that it can suffer maybe 1 major injury but not a whole lot more then that.

Having Eberle and Yakupov down the right side makes Hemsky redundant (regardless how good he is). I don't buy the whole 3 scoring lines thing. We need some players that can play defence and add size into the top 9. Joensuu and Gordon are both a good start.

Old
10-29-2013, 08:31 AM
joestevens29

Tank? Are you kidding. You tank you might as well start another rebuild because there is no way anyone is going to want to stay here if the team is willing to call it quits after 13 games.

Old
10-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Hall to me is looking more and more like a tweener. By that I mean someone who is better than your average first-liner but not at the level of a star forward. He simply lacks too much in hockey sense and hands to be at that level imo.

I'm also not sure how much more improvement there is left in him. It isn't like seeing RNH try hard to make the right play 90% of the time but sometimes failing because he doesn't have enough strength or endurance yet, or watching Yakupov stumble around because of his lack of patience and experience. With Hall, his physical tools are what they are, and he'll always be a good player because of those tools, but I don't think age or experience will cause a huge improvement in his game.

Thing is, his value is still probably super high around the league. If you dangle him to a team like Nashville you could probably get serious discussions regarding Seth Jones. Heck depending on how things turn out in Long Island this year you might be able to get discussions regarding Travis Hamonic. Point being, Hall could be traded for a piece or pieces that end up being far more valuable to the Oilers than Hall alone can be.
I'm not sure what the polar opposite of a homer post is, but whatever it is, this one is it.

Old
10-29-2013, 08:57 AM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post

With cap retention, he is a very valuable piece to a lot of teams.

What would you pay to acquire him at $4M?

Old
10-29-2013, 09:03 AM
moneygoalie31

So when all of the players are healthy what will we look like??? I wanna see this for 5 games. Probably be trades before then.

Hall-Nuge-Yak
Perron Gagner Eberle
Jonensu Gordon Hemsky
Smyth Arco Pitlick/Jones/Gadzic
extra Acton

Petry Smid
J.schultz Belov
Ference Klefbom
N.Schultz

Dubnyk
Bachman

Old
10-29-2013, 09:07 AM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
If any team has two injuries to the same position they are pretty much screwed. I mean look around the league and you'll see that very few teams are capable of icing a team with that kind of lineup. You have to build a team so that it can suffer maybe 1 major injury but not a whole lot more then that.

Having Eberle and Yakupov down the right side makes Hemsky redundant (regardless how good he is). I don't buy the whole 3 scoring lines thing. We need some players that can play defence and add size into the top 9. Joensuu and Gordon are both a good start.
I'm confused at what you are saying. If we trade Hemsky, we are left with Eberle and Yak. If one of them gets injured we are screwed at that point unless we are acquiring a solid RW in return for trading them. We will be in trouble with this RW depth:

Eberle
Yakupov
Pitlick
Eager

One injury and all of a sudden our RW depth is terrible. We need to upgrade and find a player between Yakupov and Pitlick who can play up and down the lineup, not just in one role.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:18 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneygoalie31 View Post
So when all of the players are healthy what will we look like??? I wanna see this for 5 games. Probably be trades before then.

Hall-Nuge-Yak
Perron Gagner Eberle
Jonensu Gordon Hemsky
Smyth Arco Pitlick/Jones/Gadzic
extra Acton

Petry Smid
J.schultz Belov
Ference Klefbom
N.Schultz

Dubnyk
Bachman
I would swap nuge and gags but for most part I agree

Old
10-29-2013, 10:10 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I would swap nuge and gags but for most part I agree
I don't know if I would put Arco on the 4th line… The 4th line is not used very often and Arco is one of our best defensive and face-off winning centres right now.. The exact things that Gagner needs to improve.

And it is not like Arco is slouching in the points department either… I think you have to start Gagner on the wing or at least let Arco take the draw than have him play wing. I like the idea of having Gagner and Arco on the same line anyway.

I would do something like this.

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Gagner-Arco-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky
Jones-Acton-Joensuu
Smyth/Eager/Gazdic

Old
10-29-2013, 10:16 AM
BowDangles

Edmonton needs to make a roster move today in order to be at the roster limit. What do you think it is? Labarbra on waivers? Or Dubnyk hurt enough to go on IR.

I think they also need to do something with their D no? Potter is up now from OKC IIRC.

Old
10-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Edmonton needs to make a roster move today in order to be at the roster limit. What do you think it is? Labarbra on waivers? Or Dubnyk hurt enough to go on IR.

I think they also need to do something with their D no? Potter is up now from OKC IIRC.
I'd probably send Potter down if i had the choice
If Dubnyk wasn't injured I would waive Lolbarbera

Old
10-29-2013, 10:35 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
I'm confused at what you are saying. If we trade Hemsky, we are left with Eberle and Yak. If one of them gets injured we are screwed at that point unless we are acquiring a solid RW in return for trading them. We will be in trouble with this RW depth:

Eberle
Yakupov
Pitlick
Eager

One injury and all of a sudden our RW depth is terrible. We need to upgrade and find a player between Yakupov and Pitlick who can play up and down the lineup, not just in one role.
I agree that Hemsky should be moved but I doubt anyone gives up another RW for him. I'm sure we can find someone in free agency that can fill that #3 RW and jump into that #2 RW for a few weeks.

Old
10-29-2013, 10:39 AM
duul

Quote:
I agree that Hemsky should be moved but I doubt anyone gives up another RW for him. I'm sure we can find someone in free agency that can fill that #3 RW and jump into that #2 RW for a few weeks.
I proposed this on the main board, seems to like a decent idea.

Eberle
N.Schultz

Peverley
Dillon
Oleksiak

We might have to add a better defenceman, and maybe we could get a little more value from a different team but this would improve us quite a bit.

Dillon is looking amazing this year and is Dallas' #1, could probably be ours right now and is only 22 years old. Peverley is a great asset because he can play between the 1st and 4th lines and can play both C and RW. He is the type of player we don't have right now. Oleksiak is a physical beast and could be something special in a few years.

Giving up Eberle would suck of course but something has to go, and we can't trade Hemsky to improve in both positions like that.

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gagner-Peverley
Perron-Gordon-Yakupov
Gazdic-Arcobello-Eager

I think we still need to trade another Hemsky/Yakupov/Gagner type player in order to upgrade bottom 6 grit and toughness. Would love to get a Bickell type or Dubinsky/Foligno/Umberger out of Columbus.

Say we trade Yakupov and N.Schultz for Dubinsky and Tyutin.

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Dubinsky-Gagner-Peverley
Joensuu-Gordon-Perron
Gazdic-Arcobello-Eager

Tyutin-Petry
Dillon-Belov
Smid-J.Schultz

We now have 6 players who are known solid centres in our forward lineup. We added grit and balance to a still extremely talented forward group, while improving our defence immensely. That is a playoff team, and I would be happy adding prospects/picks to any of those trades to get them done. We also add Oleksiak who is an outstanding prospect, right up there with Klefbom. Dillon has the potential to become a true #1 in the league, he is that good.

Last edited by duul: 10-29-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old
10-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:

How realistic is your proposal? You will get bashed by Oil fans because Ebs is going nowhere and DAL fans because they love Dillon.
No one trades away a top line winger or a top pairing Dman unless there are issues between them and the management.

Old
10-29-2013, 11:00 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:

Eberle
N.Schultz

Peverley
Dillon
Oleksiak

We might have to add a better defenceman, and maybe we could get a little more value from a different team but this would improve us quite a bit.

Dillon is looking amazing this year and is Dallas' #1, could probably be ours right now and is only 22 years old. Peverley is a great asset because he can play between the 1st and 4th lines and can play both C and RW. He is the type of player we don't have right now. Oleksiak is a physical beast and could be something special in a few years.

Giving up Eberle would suck of course but something has to go, and we can't trade Hemsky to improve in both positions like that.

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gagner-Peverley
Perron-Gordon-Yakupov
Gazdic-Arcobello-Eager

I think we still need to trade another Hemsky/Yakupov/Gagner type player in order to upgrade bottom 6 grit and toughness. Would love to get a Bickell type or Dubinsky/Foligno/Umberger out of Columbus.

Say we trade Yakupov and N.Schultz for Dubinsky and Tyutin.

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Dubinsky-Gagner-Peverley
Joensuu-Gordon-Perron
Gazdic-Arcobello-Eager

Tyutin-Petry
Dillon-Belov
Smid-J.Schultz

We now have 6 players who are known solid centres in our forward lineup. We added grit and balance to a still extremely talented forward group, while improving our defence immensely. That is a playoff team, and I would be happy adding prospects/picks to any of those trades to get them done. We also add Oleksiak who is an outstanding prospect, right up there with Klefbom. Dillon has the potential to become a true #1 in the league, he is that good.
I saw your proposal, it made me facepalm. Neither team would do that deal.

Old
10-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Fuhryous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post

Lander is my guess.

Old
10-29-2013, 11:09 AM
duul

Quote:
I saw your proposal, it made me facepalm. Neither team would do that deal.
Edmonton wouldn't do it? Why? Our team is greatly improved by that trade.

Old
10-29-2013, 11:16 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Edmonton wouldn't do it? Why? Our team is greatly improved by that trade.
You are judging our return based off a very small sample size. Neither of Dillon or Oleksiak have proven anything in the NHL. And frankly, I don't buy that either of those guys will have the puck moving skills to ever be more than 4-6 d-men.

So no, Edmonton wouldn't do that trade. We're moving one of our best trading chips away for a downgrade and a bunch of maybes.

Old
10-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Hey all - Jets fan living in YEG, I come in peace.

I've heard the Jets named as a potential trade partner for the Oilers a couple of times on TSN 1260, though no specific trade being mentioned. The idea being that if the Oilers want to get bigger and more physical, the Jets are one of the bigger teams in the league (and with a mediocre start to the season, so willing to shake things up with a trade).

Any interest in a trade? Can anyone put together a proposal that makes much sense for both teams?

Trouble of course is in the details. Most Jets players that you'd be interested in are subject to NMCs. For the Oilers, if you assume that the "young guns" are untouchable, there's nobody left that isn't an expiring contract or just aren't worth much. And both teams are fairly close to the salary cap.

Best I could come up with is:

Yakopov + someone to dump $3-4m in salary (Hemsky? N Schultz?) for Byfuglien

If you want to get bigger, they don't get much bigger than Big Buff, and you'd secure a franchise #1 d-man. Buff has a five-team no-trade list, but it's always been uncertain how much he likes playing for Winnipeg.

Thoughts?

Old
10-29-2013, 11:22 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Hey all - Jets fan living in YEG, I come in peace.

I've heard the Jets named as a potential trade partner for the Oilers a couple of times on TSN 1260, though no specific trade being mentioned. The idea being that if the Oilers want to get bigger and more physical, the Jets are one of the bigger teams in the league (and with a mediocre start to the season, so willing to shake things up with a trade).

Any interest in a trade? Can anyone put together a proposal that makes much sense for both teams?

Trouble of course is in the details. Most Jets players that you'd be interested in are subject to NMCs. For the Oilers, if you assume that the "young guns" are untouchable, there's nobody left that isn't an expiring contract or just aren't worth much. And both teams are fairly close to the salary cap.

Best I could come up with is:

Yakopov + someone to dump $3-4m in salary (Hemsky? N Schultz?) for Byfuglien

If you want to get bigger, they don't get much bigger than Big Buff, and you'd secure a franchise #1 d-man. Buff has a five-team no-trade list, but it's always been uncertain how much he likes playing for Winnipeg.

Thoughts?
Hmm.. I like the idea of having Buff on Edmonton but he only has 3 years remaining on his contract… So we would be losing Yak for three years of Buff..

How has Bogosian been playing? He might be someone I have interest in if he is playing well.

Closed Thread