HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII: "The makeup has to be jigged"

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Sure Miller can waive or change his mind, but doesn't the fact we were on his list in the first place raise any alarms?
No, because it's fairly common knowledge that Edmonton (and Winnipeg, and for that matter probably Buffalo) are pretty commonly placed on no-trade lists? Too small, too cold, losing records...

Old
10-29-2013, 04:40 PM
PeakMcOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Didn't really know where to post this but who is the best defenceman the Oilers have had since Pronger left?

Perhaps a better way to word it would be who played the best as a defenceman for us since Pronger left?

I'm having a hard time coming up with anyone that played to the caliber of a #2 let alone a #1.

Souray or Visnovsky were the best I can think of on paper but they never did play all that well for us.
Souray in his second year was a legit #1, Visnovsky, though undersized, was clearly a top pairing guy in his time here too imo.

Old
10-29-2013, 04:42 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
In the 2008-2009 season, Souray played pretty good for us. Put up 23 goals and 53 points..

But Edmonton really hasn't had a true #1 guy since Pronger… Which could be one of the reasons why they have not had success since Pronger left...
IMO that stretch from Souray, every game that Visnovsky was in the line-up, and even Ryan Whitney for the first 30 games or so before he got injured that one year were all top D quality. Lots of minutes, lots of points, smart play.

Visnovsky is an all-time great D-man, we made a terrible mistake. People in Edmonton underestime him because he isn't a lunchbucket type but he is effective in every way that a d-man can be, outside of punching people in the face (which isn't really a part of the game). He has had a great career.

If we had a prime Souray, Whitney, or Visnovsky right now our D would be fine. Some losers would be getting a lot less ice time until they learned how to play defence appropriately.

Last edited by alphahelix: 10-29-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old
10-29-2013, 04:51 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
IMO that stretch from Souray, every game that Visnovsky was in the line-up, and even Ryan Whitney for the first 30 games or so before he got injured that one year were all top D quality. Lots of minutes, lots of points, smart play.

Visnovsky is an all-time great D-man, we made a terrible mistake. People in Edmonton underestime him because he isn't a lunchbucket type but he is effective in every way that a d-man can be, outside of punching people in the face (which isn't really a part of the game). He has had a great career.

If we had a prime Souray, Whitney, or Visnovsky right now our D would be fine. Some losers would be getting a lot less ice time until they learned how to play defence appropriately.
He wanted out, given what happen with Souray we had no choice but to deal him.

Old
10-29-2013, 04:52 PM
dyzfunctioned

Visnovsky was easily a #1 d-man in his time here. He wasn't Pronger but he's the next best thing we've had.

Old
10-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Soundwave

It's too bad we can't transport Souray, Visnovsky, and Roloson circa 2008 onto this team.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He wanted out, given what happen with Souray we had no choice but to deal him.
the same Lubomir Vishnovsky didn't want to play for the NYI and even went to court over it.

He resigned and is still playing there now. Interesting that NYI was able to convince him.

They were also able to convince Nabokov to stay in NYI when they picked claim him off waivers and he didn't want to go.

Funny that.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:01 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Sure Miller can waive or change his mind, but doesn't the fact we were on his list in the first place raise any alarms?
Not if he agrees to a trade.

Honestly, if you ask every player to make a list of the 8 teams they'd least likely accept a trade to, I'd say almost all of them would have close to the same list, and it would be equally likely that those teams would be at the bottom of the NHL standings.

Players want to win, and if they get traded, they'd all prefer to be going somewhere that gives them an opportunity to compete for a cup.

An 8-team "no trade" list made before the season starts means very little to me. Hell, there may not be any teams that he wouldn't accept a trade to, but the contract says a list of 8 teams and that's what he submits.

10-29-2013, 05:05 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post

While I agree Vis was a great d-man I think we made a mistake picking him up in the first. Major overpay

Old
10-29-2013, 05:05 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
the same Lubomir Vishnovsky didn't want to play for the NYI and even went to court over it.

He resigned and is still playing there now. Interesting that NYI was able to convince him.

They were also able to convince Nabokov to stay in NYI when they picked claim him off waivers and he didn't want to go.

Funny that.
What's your point? Isles were on the way up when that happened to them, we were on the way down.

Lubo didn't even want to come here in the first place and was pissed that LA dealt him before his clause kicked in. Played here and still wanted out.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:07 PM
PeakMcOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
While I agree Vis was a great d-man I think we made a mistake picking him up in the first. Major overpay
Look at what we got for Lupul, Stoll and Greene, just gave away three good players for magic beans.

Though I must say Lupul was the most pathetic player I've ever seen in an Oilers jersey in his time here.

Vis wasn't a bad trade, we got the best player, but in the end we lost all these trades horribly.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:21 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I'm actually surprised so many of you are trivializing the fact that Miller had us on his 8 team list to start the season. Why would he change his mind now? Edmonton is still Edmonton, and the Oilers are still bottom dwellers.

There is no reason to think his desire to play here has increased since he first put us on the list.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Soundwave

Meh. Pursue Halak or Hiller instead in the summer. Try and develop Bachman into a decent 1B backup this year.

Miller will probably want $7 million from a non-California team anyway.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:31 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
Look at what we got for Lupul, Stoll and Greene, just gave away three good players for magic beans.

Though I must say Lupul was the most pathetic player I've ever seen in an Oilers jersey in his time here.

Vis wasn't a bad trade, we got the best player, but in the end we lost all these trades horribly.
If Lupul was half as good as he is now, we wouldn't have traded him. I don't think we would have drafted Hall, RNH or Yakupov with him scoring 40 as an oiler.

It sucks that Whitney suffered his injuries. He was a top pairing defenceman that we lost for nothing.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

Funny that.
The issue with Visnovsky was more about the validity of his NTC.

Old
10-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Frank the Tank
Passing the Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Meh. Pursue Halak or Hiller instead in the summer. Try and develop Bachman into a decent 1B backup this year.

Miller will probably want $7 million from a non-California team anyway.
I keep hearing Miller wants to go to California, but where is there room at the inn? San Jose is set with Niemi, LA with Quick, and Anaheim is swimming in goalies (Hiller, Fasth, Andersen, and Gibson). Even Phoenix (closest non-California team) signed Smith to a long-term contract extension.

Old
10-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I keep hearing Miller wants to go to California, but where is there room at the inn? San Jose is set with Niemi, LA with Quick, and Anaheim is swimming in goalies (Hiller, Fasth, Andersen, and Gibson). Even Phoenix (closest non-California team) signed Smith to a long-term contract extension.
Actually, if you're the Sharks, if he comes relatively cheap, Miller might make an epic back-up for Niemi.

Old
10-29-2013, 06:22 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Actually, if you're the Sharks, if he comes relatively cheap, Miller might make an epic back-up for Niemi.
Just a head-ache waiting to happen IMO in SJ. I just can't see him staying quiet about being a backup. I'd actually question the guy's character is he signed on to be a backup when there is starting positions to be had.

Maybe Dallas is a fit.

Old
10-29-2013, 06:28 PM
PeakMcOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
If Lupul was half as good as he is now, we wouldn't have traded him. I don't think we would have drafted Hall, RNH or Yakupov with him scoring 40 as an oiler.

It sucks that Whitney suffered his injuries. He was a top pairing defenceman that we lost for nothing.
Oh for sure, Lupul is an entirely different player, and I think coming home as an immature guy was the main reason. He had some growing up to do to become a consistent and effective player and I'm not sure that would ever have happened here. And we had some bad luck with Whitney and his foot problems.

Getting Pitkanen was a fine return for Lupul, but man did we piss away that trade after. This is all on the pro scouting at the time.

Old
10-29-2013, 06:30 PM
FireMacT

re: Miller in California.

It's because his wife lives and works in Hollywood so the media automatically thinks he'll look to sign there in the off season. IIRC, his no trade list includes every team in Canada and Florida

Old
10-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Paralyzer008

Seeing Visnovsky here reminds of me how bad Visnovsky for Whitney ended up being for us trade-wise.

Old
10-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Just a head-ache waiting to happen IMO in SJ. I just can't see him staying quiet about being a backup. I'd actually question the guy's character is he signed on to be a backup when there is starting positions to be had.

Maybe Dallas is a fit.
Yeah I can see him signing in Dallas.

Either that or I'm going to call his epic meltdown --

Lundqvist is fed up with the Rangers, signs with the Islanders in the summer to team up with Tavares.

NYR needing a goalie, sign Miller.

Old
10-29-2013, 06:51 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Yeah I can see him signing in Dallas.
Aren't they basically set with Lehtonen? He's there until 2018...

Old
10-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
He will end up in Colorado imo.

Old
10-29-2013, 06:54 PM
McGlassbangers
#DraftSvechnikov

vCash: 97
If Anaheim is able to get rid of Hiller they'll sign Miller, quaranteed.

Closed Thread