HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII: "The makeup has to be jigged"

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2013, 12:32 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 500
so which one would you trade?

Old
10-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I agree completely. The team is incredibly one dimensional, and has a losing mentality. You can't keep all of Yakupov, Eberle, Gagner, RNH, Hemsky and Perron. Something has to give. These players have great value and should be used to bring in a true number one D-man, and some size and strength upfront, like what Columbus did for Nash.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Beerfish

The oilers would be very open to trading one of the young players but the value is not there seemingly.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontdive View Post
As an outsider (not an Oilers fan) I came in here to judge the mood of the Oilers fans and it doesn't look good. Lots of doom and gloom. I am in general though a fan of the Canadian teams and so I don't like it.

Now, this "mood" doesn't really matter too much as long as you all stay Oilers fans and the team is making enough money as a result. Patience is a virtue, and all that.

But, and this is a big but, what about those relatively young star players? Isn't this continual losing bad for their long-term development? Their confidence has to be negatively impacted, and it seems to me that would really hurt how they develop, and whether they'd even want to stay in Edmonton for the long-haul.

So... why not trade one of those "young star forwards?" Presumably more help is needed in goal or on defense. You could probably get something good for (insert young Oilers star forwards name here).

My guess is this would help the team tons, even in the long run. I think this is better than just holding onto all of them when help is needed more on other parts of the team.
Couple of reasons:

1. the Oilers would be giving up the best player in the deal. Teams that do that don't win many trades.

2. The Oilers are pretty desperate right now which is a terrible position to bargain from. This is the worst time to make a reactionary move.

There's no quick fixes here.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

Thank you for your expert analysis, I am getting Lowe, Katz and MacT on a conference call right now, I will PM you the call in details. Thank you for saving this franchise with your miraculous revelation, how now of us ever thought of this is amazing. I am messaging all the other 29 GMs on facebook right now to let them know we are trading one of our young guns. Now I you could just list some players that have similar value and contract status to a Yakupov or an Eberle, that can step in and help now who are realistically available from another team looking to make a big impact move midseason please let us know.

Thank you so much for coming here with your outside opinion to set us straight, don't forget the sympathetic "you guys have a bright future" before the doors hits you on your way out.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:44 PM
manningite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
Thank you for your expert analysis, I am getting Lowe, Katz and MacT on a conference call right now, I will PM you the call in details. Thank you for saving this franchise with your miraculous revelation, how now of us ever thought of this is amazing. I am messaging all the other 29 GMs on facebook right now to let them know we are trading one of our young guns. Now I you could just list some players that have similar value and contract status to a Yakupov or an Eberle, that can step in and help now who are realistically available from another team looking to make a big impact move midseason please let us know.

Thank you so much for coming here with your outside opinion to set us straight, don't forget the sympathetic "you guys have a bright future" before the doors hits you on your way out.
Nice

Old
10-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Hammer8
I was the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post

Don't give him a rough ride, he is trying to help.

After all, the Oilers solution to the problem is to address inept goaltending with more inept goaltenders, soft defensemen with bringing in more soft defencemen, too many small skilled forwards by bringing in more small skilled forwards, poor role players with more poor role players and when this doesn't work then fall back on the tried and true "fire the coach"!

Old
10-30-2013, 12:48 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Thing is, if MacT dealt one now, the return probably wouldn't be as great as it could be during the offseason.

This season is done. Unless the Oilers have a "November to remember" they're out of the hunt already.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:49 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Eberle, Marincin and Dubnyk for Lehner, Cowen and Smith

Eberle >> Smith
Marincin < Cowen
Dubnyk < Lehner

Old
10-30-2013, 12:52 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
Eberle, Marincin and Dubnyk for Lehner, Cowen and Smith

Eberle >> Smith
Marincin < Cowen
Dubnyk < Lehner
reasoning. You have to give quality to get quality, Cowen is a legit top pairing dman, or will be he has been very good so far and a top 2 of Nurse/Cowen would be dynamyte. Eberle is the best player in the deal, Zac Smith isnt comparable to him but he does address a tougher to play againt bottom 6. Lehner has been great for the sens so far and look sto be the real deal. Dubnyk isnt as bad as people are making him out to be but I think the potential is strong for him to be better than dubnyk and for a long time.

hall/nuge/yakupov
perron/gagner/hemsky
jones/gordon/smith ( i know hes a C)
gadzic/arcobello/eager mix in joensuu when healthy and get rid of smyth and acton

cowen/petry
smid/ference
schultz/belov

lehner/bachman

Old
10-30-2013, 12:55 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 81
Yakupov, N.Schultz for Myers, Ott, Nelson, 2nd. At this point I'm willing to take a reclamation project with number 1 upside to shake up this team.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Psychoil

we shouldn't be in this position, we should of never been this bad by now, we need to make a reactionary move, we need to lose a ****ing trade, IDGAF just get me some ****ing players who play ****ing hard.

sick of this ****ing **** man, i cant even ****ing defend this team, every non-oiler fan is ******** on me because i've defended this team from the start, now i see that this isnt ****ing defendable, you cant defend a team who doesnt ****ing defend.

for **** sakes.

LLOYD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! get me on the phone so i can make some deals, sick of this garbage

Old
10-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I posted this in the PGT and I'm gonna post it here..

I keep hearing Rob Brown on the radio talk about wanting to see this team healthy before they do any big moves.. the thing is the reason we are never healthy is because the team is so god damn soft that they're so easy to injure. Nuge could have been injured 3 times in just that 3rd period tonight. One, a knee on knee hit, another Ashton crosschecks him from behind over top of Reimer, the other he was hit from behind into the boards. No one did a thing. The team is small, soft, and they know they can't do a ****ing thing about it because they don't have enough to back it up. Teams have their way with us, and that won't change until the identity of the team changes. You bring in tough guy Ference from a Boston team filled with size, character and grit. He comes here where we have none of it and all of a sudden Ference isn't much of a tough guy. I mean, he didn't even stick up for Nuge on Sunday when Clifford kneed him. He was 5 feet away from the play, starring directly at RNH and he didn't do anything. That was shocking considering that's one of the main things Bruins fans told us he does. You can't just have Ference and Gazdic as these kind of character players. You need to surround the talent with it. This is why I have been so adamant on dealing a Yakupov or an Eberle for some size, grit and balance in the lineup. Because all we have now is a bunch of small, skilled, one-dimensional players and we are far too predictable, far too easy to defend against. You add someone like say, Wayne Simmonds who can forecheck the crap out of anyone's team and bang bodies alongside RNH and Hall for example who will finish the plays off all of a sudden you've got a balanced attack that teams don't really know how to match up against. There is more to building a team than adding a bunch of good hockey players and putting them out there together. You need diversity in the lineup and you need to have strengths in all positions. The Oilers right now have neither. They aren't diverse, especially up front and there only strengths are in the offence that again, has it's own problems as is.

As far as I'm concerned this is an absolute mess that we have right now. There are at least three huge glaring needs to be fixed. One is the size, grit, character I'm talking about, another is a top pairing defenseman and another is goaltending. How on earth these are going to be solved is beyond me. This is MacT's time to shine. You need to do something.
Yup but I think getting the right market on whoever we try and trade will be almost impossible to do right now. I don't think many teams are interested in giving up the pieces they have that we desperately need. All the players we are looking for, most likely already make up a huge part of the teams identity that they play on. It'll take the right market or the right guy to become available for us to pull something like that off and that doesn't happen to often.

MacT is aware of this though. He knew we needed a player who brought a different package for our top 6 and was the most desperate GM in free agency to land him. Funny how this is still a glaring weakness on the Oilers yet it was almost an unanimous verdict on here that MacT was being an idiot for going hard after Clarkson and that we dodged a bullet with him signing to the leafs even though we are still faced with the same problems that Clarkson would of helped solve, despite the cost.

MacT has got to know that this is still an area of concern. I believe he has been trying to address the situation with no luck and no market out there so far and that we will see him pull some moves sometime between now and the start of next season that will help in this area of concern for us.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:05 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaymanX View Post
That's interesting. From an outsider's perspective it's more like:

Eberle >> Smith
Marincin << Cowen
Dubnyk << Lehner
well it was more perspective that the gap between eberle and smith was larger than the gap between the others. realistically its more like

Eberle >>>>> Smith
Marincin <<<<Cowen
Dubnyk << Lehner(potential to be more)

Old
10-30-2013, 01:08 PM
LaymanX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
well it was more perspective that the gap between eberle and smith was larger than the gap between the others. realistically its more like

Eberle >>>>> Smith
Marincin <<<<Cowen
Dubnyk << Lehner(potential to be more)
Yeah, that's pretty spot on imo.

Would you guys consider Yak to PHI for Couturier + 2nd? PHI gets rid of one of their many centers, picks up a proper scoring winger. EDM gets a defensively responsible center with decent offensive upside.

Youth for youth.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:08 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Here's what we're going to do, continue to lose games (most by a goal or two, not many by absolute blowouts) while we wait for the lightbulb to go on over the heads of a few guys in the top 6.

We might never dress a healthy Top 6 this season, but with that said can we please keep Yakupov and Eberle separated for the time being?

----

I fear that the team is going to trade Yakupov away for a bandaid fix and he's going to go on to tear the league up for the next decade once he gets away from the Oilers.

I only hope that he's traded to the East so he doesn't continually terrorize Edmonton.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Jamie

I'm of the standing that we currently have zero top pairing defensemen on this team.

If I'm MacT, I'm addressing this:

Ideas I'd explore, trying obviously to get back as much as possible, but also be willing to make things happen:
Eberle for Bogosian
and/or
Hemsky for Myers
and/or
etc/etc

There are teams that need forwards and have extra defensemen they're willing to trade. Let's make a deal. The forwards are fine. Our defense sucks. Our goaltending, with Dubnyk and Bachman looks pretty good (eff Lolguy-he's not good). It's simply, our defense isn't capable. Imagine this exact team, adding Pronger in his prime, and it goes from non-playoff team to contender. Having a top guy makes a huge difference, Petry/Smid/Schultz/Ference are all 2nd pairing, at best, kind of guys.

Golly gosh, it's sometimes so frustrating being a loyal guy to such a failure of a team. Get it together you ****ing wimps!

Old
10-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Conkanen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I'm of the standing that we currently have zero top pairing defensemen on this team.

If I'm MacT, I'm addressing this:

Ideas I'd explore, trying obviously to get back as much as possible, but also be willing to make things happen:
Eberle for Bogosian
and/or
Hemsky for Myers
and/or
etc/etc

There are teams that need forwards and have extra defensemen they're willing to trade. Let's make a deal. The forwards are fine. Our defense sucks. Our goaltending, with Dubnyk and Bachman looks pretty good (eff Lolguy-he's not good). It's simply, our defense isn't capable. Imagine this exact team, adding Pronger in his prime, and it goes from non-playoff team to contender. Having a top guy makes a huge difference, Petry/Smid/Schultz/Ference are all 2nd pairing, at best, kind of guys.

Golly gosh, it's sometimes so frustrating being a loyal guy to such a failure of a team. Get it together you ****ing wimps!
Bogosian is not a top pairing d-man. That's from 2 guys who have Jets season tickets and know their hockey. His hockey sense is just not there. They say he is barely playing up to top 4 status. I have seen him quite a bit myself live and I promise you the people who pine for Bogosian would be getting what they think.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:21 PM
dssource

There is no value in any trades for the Oilers right now. There is no trade available that will fix what is wrong with this team. MacT actually shouldn't do anything right now. He did what he could in the summer. He didn't know and no one knew the goaltending would be this bad. On paper, the Oilers D is actually better than last year. They are just learning a new system and having a lot of trouble with it (clearly). Fans are frustrated and should be, but they need to be patient and let things unfold this year. The only tradeable piece of our elite is Yak and we shouldn't just send him away now unless we are winning that trade, and at this point in the season, that won't happen. Even though this team p1sses me off to no end, please MacT, stay the course and don't do anything dumb. At best this year we were going to fight for the last playoff spot. There is still a chance of that (although dwindling quickly). That was our best case scenario. Right now we're at worst case scenario. Anything other than a playoff spot is a fail so if we finish 14th in the conference or 9th, I could really care less. Would actually prefer 14th.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:24 PM
backhandsauce

Eberle long term >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yakupov long term.

Move the russian.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:32 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty spot on imo.

Would you guys consider Yak to PHI for Couturier + 2nd? PHI gets rid of one of their many centers, picks up a proper scoring winger. EDM gets a defensively responsible center with decent offensive upside.

Youth for youth.
Troll elsewhere this proposal is ludicrous.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:42 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsauce View Post
Eberle long term >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yakupov long term.

Move the russian.
Basing this on what? The fact he's Canadian?

Old
10-30-2013, 01:43 PM
LaymanX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Troll elsewhere this proposal is ludicrous.
Whoah.. Ludicrous? How far apart in value are we talking about here?

Couturier + 1st then? PHI's 1st looks to be a lottery pick this year.

A strong 2 way player would definitely look great on your team as well.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:46 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Whoah.. Ludicrous? How far apart in value are we talking about here?

Couturier + 1st then? PHI's 1st looks to be a lottery pick this year.

A strong 2 way player would definitely look great on your team as well.
Stop trying. Couturier isn't the answer to our issues.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:03 PM
backhandsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
Basing this on what? The fact he's Canadian?
Absolutely. He has also produced at every level. He is our go to shoot out guy. Clutch goals at the World Jr's etc.

Grow the Hall-Nuge-Eberle line.

Look how long it took the Sedins to be dominant.

Move Yak for some help on the back end.

Closed Thread