HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII: "The makeup has to be jigged"

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2013, 01:05 PM
doulos

vCash: 500
Oilers need a gamechanger on the blueline (and at least one more real solid top 4) and there are none of those available via trade.

Need to hope Nurse + Klefbom can fill those spots down the road (as soon as next season) and that Eakins can keep hammering home what needs to be done to become a team.

Making a trade now is a total recipe for disaster for the Oilers since they are dealing from such a massive place of weakness.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:09 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Oilers need a gamechanger on the blueline (and at least one more real solid top 4) and there are none of those available via trade.

Need to hope Nurse + Klefbom can fill those spots down the road (as soon as next season) and that Eakins can keep hammering home what needs to be done to become a team.

Making a trade now is a total recipe for disaster for the Oilers since they are dealing from such a massive place of weakness.
there's a few other clubs out there who's performances have been underwhelming, so I think this point of weakness opinion is a bit exaggerated

Old
10-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Conkanen*

Quote:

This.

Couldn't agree more. The masses don't want to hear it but it's the only way to go imo. We are looking at a 2.8% chance of making the playoffs right now. Now is not the time to making "homerun" trades.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:10 PM
RisingSun

Quote:

If the oilers have any sense of what they're doing, Nurse will play 9 games next year and will be spend down for the rest. (Barring any lidstrom-esque development of course.)

Old
10-30-2013, 01:13 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaymanX View Post
Yeah, that's pretty spot on imo.

Would you guys consider Yak to PHI for Couturier + 2nd? PHI gets rid of one of their many centers, picks up a proper scoring winger. EDM gets a defensively responsible center with decent offensive upside.

Youth for youth.
I would trade yakupov for igor ulanov

Old
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsauce View Post
Absolutely. He has also produced at every level. He is our go to shoot out guy. Clutch goals at the World Jr's etc.

Grow the Hall-Nuge-Eberle line.

Look how long it took the Sedins to be dominant.

Move Yak for some help on the back end.
If you hold on to every prospect and player in hopes that they break out and become a force when they're like 29, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Old
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
there's a few other clubs out there who's performances have been underwhelming, so I think this point of weakness opinion is a bit exaggerated
If this was an isolated season then I might agree. Given the state of the franchise, the public pressure on the team, the way the franchise is viewed by the media, other players, and other GMs, I wouldn't be surprised if I understated how desperate the Oilers are viewed right now.

Old
backhandsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
I would trade yakupov for igor ulanov
Gotta have Mike Grier coming back as well.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:16 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
If the oilers have any sense of what they're doing, Nurse will play 9 games next year and will be spend down for the rest. (Barring any lidstrom-esque development of course.)
That might be the best move. It also means no playoffs again next year, and likely a bottom 5 finish yet again.

Still might be the best (and only move) that this team has available to it.

Until they get an absolute stud on the back end they won't win.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:22 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
That might be the best move. It also means no playoffs again next year, and likely a bottom 5 finish yet again.

Still might be the best (and only move) that this team has available to it.

Until they get an absolute stud on the back end they won't win.
Nurse isn't taking us to the playoffs anytime soon, how about we just take a Pieteranglo approach on him and let him develop before we introduce him to the famous Oilers brand of loser hockey.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:25 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Whoah.. Ludicrous? How far apart in value are we talking about here?

Couturier + 1st then? PHI's 1st looks to be a lottery pick this year.

A strong 2 way player would definitely look great on your team as well.
A third line center and a low thirtys draft pick? Take that to the main board as a proposal for the first overall pick this year and then bend over to get torn a new one.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:26 PM
doulos

Quote:
Nurse isn't taking us to the playoffs anytime soon, how about we just take a Pieteranglo approach on him and let him develop before we introduce him to the famous Oilers brand of loser hockey.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I said that it was probably the best option. I am just admitting that it means another season next year of bottom 5 hockey, and even then the Oilers have to really hope that Nurse pans out.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Conkanen*

Quote:
I would love the same development path/time table for Nurse.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:31 PM
David71

would christian erhoff interest the oilers? he'smaking big money though

Old
10-30-2013, 01:36 PM
LaymanX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
A third line center and a low thirtys draft pick? Take that to the main board as a proposal for the first overall pick this year and then bend over to get torn a new one.
Philly's pick could be a top 5 this year, and Couturier is a good 2 way player who's the 2nd line center this year.

This could be Ekblad + Couturier for Yakupov, and the value is still too far apart?

Old
10-30-2013, 01:37 PM
armandh01

Quote:

I don't agree that making trades now would be disastrous. There is no point in the last 3 years we haven't been weak and we sit and wait and the same results occur, year after year.

As for keepers:

Hall, RNH, Yak (value too low), Perron, Gordon, Joensuu, Hemsky (cuz we have to).

I look at moving:

Gagner, Eberle, Smid, Petry, Jschultz 2014 1st, 2014 2nd, 2015 1st, 2015 2nd and some useless contracts mixed in like NSchultz.

If you can't at least fix some stuff with those assets, we are in trouble.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:38 PM
misfit

Quote:
If this was an isolated season then I might agree. Given the state of the franchise, the public pressure on the team, the way the franchise is viewed by the media, other players, and other GMs, I wouldn't be surprised if I understated how desperate the Oilers are viewed right now.
Do you really think the GM of Team X cares what Nick Kypreos or PJ Stock thinks about the Oilers' roster? Not only that, but 77% of the teams in the league are in the US and don't even get CBC/TSN/Sportsnet (ie. the stations that spend most of their time reporting on/analyzing the Canadian teams).

Also, there's probably just as much public pressure on the Rangers or Flyers, who have the same or fewer points as the Oilers, if not more. Ottawa/New Jersey/Washington are two whole points ahead of the Oilers right now. No pressure there? Or are they not expected to be in the playoffs this year? Public pressure? How about the Panthers. What could be more pressure on a GM or owner than having 1300 people show up to every home game? Winnipeg is two wins up on us and already have had speculation that their coach is on the hot seat. I can't imagine them being seen as any less "desperate" in the eyes of opposing teams than we are.

10-30-2013, 01:43 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Philly's pick could be a top 5 this year, and Couturier is a good 2 way player who's the 2nd line center this year.

This could be Ekblad + Couturier for Yakupov, and the value is still too far apart?
The second one is a lot better value wise. Not sure the oilers have interest in dealing for futures. They need quality veterans now.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:44 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

The biggest thing this team needs is a win and a good looking one at that.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:46 PM
doulos

Misfit,

Hard to say. You make some good points there and maybe you're right. It's tough to know being in such a media bubble up here in Canada.

I do get the sense, from listening to the opposing team's media guys during hockey games (I almost never watch the Edmonton feed if I can help it) that the Oilers are looked on as pretty much a joke but with the token 'they will be really good one day' attached.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Soundwave

The Oilers very nearly made the playoffs in 07-08 with less talent. They didn't have a stud on the blueline per se, but Joni Pitkanen was really underrated and Tom Gilbert played very well.

Perhaps we were a little harsh on Mac T too.

We need to upgrade on the back end but that doesn't necessarily mean having to have Shea Weber or somebody. Plenty of teams manage without that caliber of d-man.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:04 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsauce View Post
Absolutely. He has also produced at every level. He is our go to shoot out guy. Clutch goals at the World Jr's etc.

Grow the Hall-Nuge-Eberle line.

Look how long it took the Sedins to be dominant.

Move Yak for some help on the back end.
Yakupov hasn't?

Eberle pre-draft: 55 points in 66 gp
Eberle draft: 75 points in 70 gp
Total prior to being drafted: 130 points in 136 gp (0.95 points per game)

Yakupov pre-draft: 101 points in 65 gp
Yakupov draft: 69 points in 42 gp
Total prior to being drafted: 170 points in 107 gp (1.59 points per game)

Yakupov WJC-18: 13 points in 7 gp
Eberle WJC-18: 10 points in 7 gp

Eberle post-draft: 74 points in 61 games
Yakupov post-draft: 31 points in 48 NHL games at 19 years old (0.65 points per game)

Eberle's first season in NHL at 20 years old (21 by end of season): 43 points in 69 games (0.62 points per game)

So what's the conclusion?

1) Yakupov's scoring in his first two years in the OHL absolutely obliterated what Eberle did in his first two years.
2) Yakupov out-performed Eberle in the WJC's in their draft years.
3) Yakupov out-performed Eberle in their rookie NHL seasons despite being virtually 2 years younger at the time.

Conclusion: When placed on an equal stage, Yakupov has out-performed Eberle in every one.

Last edited by dyzfunctioned: 10-30-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old
10-30-2013, 02:07 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
We may be in a somewhat desperate period, but there are a few gm's out there who are desperate to save themselves from getting fired (Holmgren, Regher, Lamorello[sp], and this is purely speculation and an attempt at an educated guess on my part and I'll try to back it up).

Philly, we've all have read and watched that situation, along with their poor start. Regher is possibly blowing up the Sabres to retool and I'd imagine they'd want a quick rebuild. If that doesn't happen or look hopeful, Regher is looking for a new employer.

In New Jersey, ol' Lou may not be in as much hot water as other gm's, but he'll be looking to improve the line up so the Devils have a decent ranking in the standings to ease the burn of not having the 1st rd pick in this year's draft. They also need offense, so maybe Hemsky could have their interest?

While the Oilers are in tough right now, there's others who are in spots where we can have leverage on them, and we have a few players 29 other teams would LOVE to get their hands on

Old
10-30-2013, 02:24 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
We may be in a somewhat desperate period, but there are a few gm's out there who are desperate to save themselves from getting fired (Holmgren, Regher, Lamorello[sp], and this is purely speculation and an attempt at an educated guess on my part and I'll try to back it up).

Philly, we've all have read and watched that situation, along with their poor start. Regher is possibly blowing up the Sabres to retool and I'd imagine they'd want a quick rebuild. If that doesn't happen or look hopeful, Regher is looking for a new employer.

In New Jersey, ol' Lou may not be in as much hot water as other gm's, but he'll be looking to improve the line up so the Devils have a decent ranking in the standings to ease the burn of not having the 1st rd pick in this year's draft. They also need offense, so maybe Hemsky could have their interest?

While the Oilers are in tough right now, there's others who are in spots where we can have leverage on them, and we have a few players 29 other teams would LOVE to get their hands on
Good post. Maybe I need to rethink it a bit and the Oilers are only one of a collection of desperate teams!

Old
10-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Soundwave

Personally I'm not really of the opinion of doing something completely crazy.

I'd do EDM 1st (2014) + Marincin for Adam Larsson provided the pick isn't Ekblad or another player you think will be an immediate stud.

I keep both Yakupov and Eberle, when Hemsky is gone you will need both.

I sign Jonas Hiller in the off-season as a UFA provided Anaheim is unwilling to deal him before.

I'd probably keep Bachman as a back up.

I'd look to add another player with size ala Jesse Joensuu.

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Gagner Yakupov
Joensuu Gordon Big Forward
Big Forward Acton Pitlick
Arcobello

Smid Petry
Ference J. Schultz
Larsson Nurse
Klefbom

Hiller
Bachman

Out: Smyth, Dubnyk, Hemsky, Jones, N. Schultz, Grebeshkov, Belov, Lolbarbera