HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sad state in Alberta

Old
10-24-2013, 11:40 PM
flames12

vCash: 500
Sad state in Alberta

Both teams lost tonight. Teams are starting to catch up to the flames they can't play at that high level all season. Oilers are terrible again. If you combined both teams into one they would still have problems making the playoffs.

flames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:42 PM
mkoivu9*

The effects of a 2 terrible gm's given too long of a leash.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:43 PM
HabsHockey*

Aren't the Flames in a rebuilding phase?

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:44 PM
CanucksSayEh

At least one team has an excuse..

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:45 PM
bruinsfan46

This isn't exactly surprising and there are plenty of Oilers suck threads (one more started tonight). I think most people expected this coming into the season. Both teams are rebuilding, Ontario wasn't doing so hot not that long ago.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

One team is more interested in keep family and friends from the 80's employed than winning.

The other is rebuilding.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:47 PM
Mathew Barzal
Yes. Yes we McCann.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames12 View Post
Both teams lost tonight. Teams are starting to catch up to the flames they can't play at that high level all season. Oilers are terrible again. If you combined both teams into one they would still have problems making the playoffs.
Gonna 'lol' if Monahan singlehandedly pulls the Flames out of the gutter in two years while the Oiler's continue to rack up the high draft picks.

Mathew Barzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:47 PM
kammyBlazer*

Alberta is a province, not a state.. GODDDDD

seriously though, we all expect it with Calgary.

Edmonton however... what a disgrace.

kammyBlazer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:51 PM
XO

Not saying Flames are great or anything yet, but they've been on a tough road trip playing the Ducks, Sharks, Yotes, Kings and then Stars. Giordano and Baertschi was out too.

PS. Easy money on Stars

Last edited by XO: 10-24-2013 at 11:56 PM.
XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:52 PM
CommonMeans*

At least the Flames are showing fight and some promise.

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames12 View Post
You should change your title to "sad state in province of Alberta" to get the "state" and "province" combo in there.

Edit, ah someone kind of beat me to it...

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Ari91

For the Alberta teams, the hurdles will be much harder to overcome when you have to compete with 5 other legit playoff contenders. The California teams and Phoenix may just run away with that division.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:03 AM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckClown View Post
At least the Flames are showing fight and some promise.
All sorts of this...the Flames are doing well enough, all things considered.

They'll likely look a lot better against the mistake prone Caps on the weekend.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:20 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
All sorts of this...the Flames are doing well enough, all things considered.

They'll likely look a lot better against the mistake prone Caps on the weekend.
If I were a fan of those teams i'd rather see an underdog overreach than a supposed "future dynasty" get plastered night in night out. Maybe if we switch coaches?

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:25 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
The Flames have balls at least. They don't roll over and die like the Oilers.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:28 AM
Hammer79

Edmonton got 3 first round picks in a row, rushed them in to a losing culture @ 18 years old to throw their fans a bone. In the process they burned off ELC and RFA years and look where they are now? That rebuild has been handled very poorly. It's too bad that in those 3 years, they didn't pick an elite D prospect or at least one wasn't worth picking at #1.

Calgary held on to their old guard far too long, but ownership finally gave in and started a rebuild. I give them credit though for playing competitive hockey and winning games for pride, as opposed to the Oilers who seemed to be intentionally tanking. So many 9th place finishes though, they have a long road ahead to restock their system.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Roof Daddy

As an Oil fan, I'd say it's the results that have been disappointing. Outside of a few players, I thought the team has played well enough, just been victimized by some horrible goaltending in a few games and poor puck luck in others. The only truly poor performances have been (in order of let down):

1) Yakupov

2) Dubnyk

3) Power Play (coaching - similar personnel finished 8th and 3rd previous 2 years)

Outside of that I have seen growth in our overall game and think our record should be better. Barring any other injuries, we'll look much better in a month with a healthy Hall and Gagner.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:34 AM
BoHorvatFan

Every time I watch Oil Change there's Kevin Lowe lingering around. He's probably been calling the shots all this time.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:36 AM
McOiler

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Edmonton got 3 first round picks in a row, rushed them in to a losing culture @ 18 years old to throw their fans a bone. In the process they burned off ELC and RFA years and look where they are now? That rebuild has been handled very poorly. It's too bad that in those 3 years, they didn't pick an elite D prospect or at least one wasn't worth picking at #1.

Calgary held on to their old guard far too long, but ownership finally gave in and started a rebuild. I give them credit though for playing competitive hockey and winning games for pride, as opposed to the Oilers who seemed to be intentionally tanking. So many 9th place finishes though, they have a long road ahead to restock their system.
Well in the defence of the Oilers, you can't really send back Taylor Hall to junior after drafting him, he won 2 Memorial Cup MVPs. Yakupov also didn't really have anything else to prove in junior and was NHL ready. And RNH was an absolute beast in his 9 game tryout and for most of the other season.

So I don't think they were necessarily rushed.

Also, players on a team don't actually want to tank. Why would they want to purposely play bad just so their team can get a shiny new prospect who will probably take their job from them?

The Oilers finishing 30th, 30th, and 29th was because they were just plain bad.

This version of the Edmonton Oilers is very similar to the Atlanta Thrashers when they had Kovalchuk, Heatley/Hossa and Savard. Big offensive guns, but no defence/goaltending.

McOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:37 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Edmonton got 3 first round picks in a row, rushed them in to a losing culture @ 18 years old to throw their fans a bone. In the process they burned off ELC and RFA years.
Since the salary cap era there has been one first overall pick that didn't make the team after the draft and that's Erik Johnson. Sure looks like taking their time with his development paid off.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Every time I watch Oil Change there's Kevin Lowe lingering around. He's probably been calling the shots all this time.
He knows thing or two about winning though, he won those cups 15-20 years ago.

Living in alberta i would have more sympathy for either fan base but i hear way to many stones thrown at the canucks for being an awful run team with a god awful gm for fan bases that live in a glass house.

I will say though I respect the flames, they work hard especially this year I do enjoy them, young team working hard to win games. They try and made pushes for playoffs frequently in the past few years (sans last season), im not the biggest feaster fan but he has made it clear he will not accept a loosing culture, maybe to a fault some years but i respect him.

I think Calgarys going to turn out alright in a few years.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 10-25-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Orca Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:09 AM
SmoggyTwinkles

I think both teams are doing it wrong and there's probably an ideal re-build scenario in between their two approaches.

Granted Flames just started their re-build, perhaps they do it just right from here on out.

I'm just going on the pain of watching the Leafs re-build in a painfully agonizing way. Used to be jealous of the Oilers brass going the tank route to get top elite talent, but now I'm starting to think that's not a good approach either as that elite talent has little to emulate.

But then there's the Flames who took way too long to commit and then didn't get much for what valuable vets they had left, very reminiscent of the Leafs, but I think they're starting from a better foundation somehow.

Hopefully the Flames don't trade any 1st round picks though, yet keep enough vets around to mentor their rookies etc.

Not sure what the Oilers can do. I feel like they're too proud of their top picks to trade one to round their team out a bit. The Oilers might be smart to maybe trade a bluechip for some experience and take a risk there, but I'm not sure they feel confident (the management) to do that and will just stay the course, perhaps to the detriment of these top picks they've accumulated.

I hope the Flames can salvage something, and keep their picks and make smart roster decisions because they're kind of my back up team when the playoffs start. Was hard being a Leafs fan for years with Flames as my backup team

SmoggyTwinkles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:20 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Why would Flames fans be upset? Everyone picked them as a bottom 5 team in the league and they are quite entertaining.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:35 AM
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

vCash: 170
Who's sad? This has been the most entertaining the flames have been in years. We work damn hard, but a lot of nights the talent discrepancy will just be too big to overcome. Tbh I'm not at all surprised with the results of this road trip.. And as for Edmonton, well, hopefully Mac can revive them, if not than clean house upstairs and bring in new blood, and one day in the not so distant future, an Alberta road trip will be something to be feared, much like the California one.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:39 AM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 1963
Meh they've both been worse.

Also, Bob Hartley's a solid dependable coach....not a miracle worker but a guy who'll get good mileage from his squad, I'm surprised at the amount of teams who hired AHLers and never contacted Hartley while he was in Switzerland.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote