HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Players From Humble Beginnings?

Old
10-24-2013, 08:14 PM
ECanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan91 View Post
Alexi Kovalev in mother Russian. Born an orphan the Russian circus took him in and to make ends meet as a teenager he often had to take seven minute shifts on stage on a sheet of ice, Or so the legend goes anyways.
That shift was epic.

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 08:15 PM
ECanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessflyingcord View Post
Teemu Selanne's older brother had drug problems and was in jail in the (early?) 1990s. According to himself he smuggled money to the prison so that his brother could pay debts.
Teemu is always helping out someone.

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 08:51 PM
LetsGoIslanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessflyingcord View Post
Teemu Selanne's older brother had drug problems and was in jail in the (early?) 1990s. According to himself he smuggled money to the prison so that his brother could pay debts.
Are sure it wasn't a half-brother with the last name Karalahti?

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:07 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall04 View Post
Tootoo and his deceased brother

I remember watching a video on Ovechkin, his older brother was killed (car accident i believe) and he had a hockey game the same day, he decided to play. Alot of adversity
I add Steve Downie as a related story---at the age of seven, his father died in a car crash driving Steve to a hockey practice. That same crash left Downie completely deaf in one ear. I don't know if Downie wears a specially modified helmet as a result; Jim Kyte (who was completely deaf), who played 598 NHL games, had to wear one.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:19 PM
ZyggZagg

vCash: 50
Zack Kassian's father died when he was 8 and him and his brothers were raised by his mother alone, with the help of his brothers.

http://thehockeywriters.com/overtime/zack-kassian/

"“We were worrying about gas and how I was going to feed [Zack] for the week and he’d go bust a helmet, break skates and break a stick. All in one week. We repaired the helmet, found a way to fix the skate and we got him a $40 wood stick.”"

ZyggZagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:51 PM
LeHaboholique

Not current relevant but Theo Fleury had it really rough growing up with an abusive alcoholic father and Med addict mom if I am not mistaken. Also im pretty sure it was his friends parents who would pay for hockey and even feed him sometimes. As tough as his life was, I'm glad he has a better life now. He doesn't get enough love for everything he did for small hockey players.

LeHaboholique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:55 PM
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan91 View Post
Alexi Kovalev in mother Russian. Born an orphan the Russian circus took him in and to make ends meet as a teenager he often had to take seven minute shifts on stage on a sheet of ice, Or so the legend goes anyways.
Best story ever told

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:12 PM
ORLY

vCash: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
I add Steve Downie as a related story---at the age of seven, his father died in a car crash driving Steve to a hockey practice. That same crash left Downie completely deaf in one ear. I don't know if Downie wears a specially modified helmet as a result; Jim Kyte (who was completely deaf), who played 598 NHL games, had to wear one.
He wears a hearing aid, it got knocked out one game this season. Never knew he was partially deaf until that, and I knew about the accident but never put 2 and 2 together

ORLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:55 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
Are sure it wasn't a half-brother with the last name Karalahti?
No, Panu Selanne. This was revealed in the document Sel8nne. This black sheep of the family has since stayed away from drugs.

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:14 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Bobby Ryan and Jordin Tootoo from what I know

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:32 PM
fallsviewafro
Finnish goalies

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFIG View Post
Not sure of his family's financial situation but from the quote you can extrapolate. Boone gained his work ethic on the farm helping out his family.

Matt Jenner used to remind his three sons that youth hockey players in greater Toronto — the ones “being dropped off at the rinks in their parents’ Mercedes” — don’t move 700-pound hay bales in the summer heat. His youngest son carries that farm-boy-strong attitude into every corner.
I went to school with the Jenners and played hockey with Boone's older brothers. Nice, quiet, hardworking kids. The quote definitely fits.

fallsviewafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Errol Swaghammer

This thread makes me feel sad. I got priced out pretty early myself.

It's too bad hockey's slowly becoming a sport for (mostly) the rich. I'm sure we'll have the odd story of someone succeeding because they were that good, but I have to think there are a whole bunch of kids who could become great hockey players but aren't ever going to get the opportunity.

Errol Swaghammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:43 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Water Bottle View Post
I grew up in Lambton County, Ontario ... maybe a bizarro place, LOL. I'm not denying that a lot of middle class kids played, but there were also lots of lower class kids (it was also big with natives from the reservations) and they seemed to have the most influence on local hockey culture. I can't really answer about how the economics of it worked because I was too young to clue in on those things.

I also can't remember a single "rich kid" type involved in the hockey scene at all - they were all too busy following British rock music, LOL
With the price of equipment where it is now compared to 20 years ago most kids you see playing AAA hockey has that brand new 2X250 stick, those 750+ pair of skates, 150+ shingaurds 200+ shoulderpads, 125+ helmet, 200,dollar pants 75$ elbow pads, 150 dollar pair of gloves, 30-50$ worth of stick and sock tape a year , on top of hockey fees 700-1200 from where i'm from, certainly isn't a lower class orientated game. it's a very rare rare occasion you see a player from AAA tier rocking wooden sticks , old helmet's or skates. on the other hand i knew of minor hockey communities buying equipment for the talented lower class kids within organizations who ended up going to play major junior.

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:53 PM
ZenOil
Russian Pride

There should be more school hockey. Bam just bus the kids everywhere from school. Recycle equipment for those on a budget, cut down on travel expenses. Tournaments just dorm it up. Bam. We do things way to costly in North America.

ZenOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killdo View Post
He's not in the NHL now but I read Burmistrov grew up fairly poor. I think he actually used gear Datsyuk gave him.
Pretty much everybody was "poor" in Russia in the 90's. It was the transition after the Soviet Union has gone down.

The story is true though. Burmistrov growing up in Kazan(my hometown) sent a letter to Datsyuk who played in Kazan before leaving to the NHL and Datsyuk sent him some gear. In those times it was really time to get some proper gear in Russia, especially for a kid.

Most russian players from that generation have a story to tell. I've only heard Nichushkin is coming from a rather wealthy family.

Now it's different story and I see a 5 y.o. working out with a personal skating trainer. Working class kids are still there at hockey schools too though.

Atas2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:12 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

supposedly when Wolski's immigrant parents arrived in Canada, they were quite poor and could afford only one pair of skates for him and his older brother to share. so he wore 4 - 5 pairs of socks to make the skates fit.

it's too bad his early promise as an NHL'er faded away. I thought he might get a rebirth in D.C., but his season was unremarkable last year.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote