HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks recall D Yann Sauve from Utica

Old
10-24-2013, 03:31 AM
thejanitor
he does it for free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
I'm no Sauve fan or defender, and I certainly don't understand the call up, but this is a huge exaggeration.

The minutes he played during the short call up were low event. I've seen worse stints by a number of Canucks D over the years.
What are you talking about? MS doesnt ever exaggerate! All MS's points are always low key and subtle.

thejanitor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 03:39 AM
Rey

vCash: 500
Kevin Bieksa has had two good games, trade him while his value is up. Then, you add Booth to the package. Teams impressed with Stanton, but lacks any fight on D. Sauve does have some toughness, so see if he can be the guy who can clear the front of the net time to time, preventing Luongo to get crashed.

Tim Thomas just got injured, Florida needs a backup, who better than acquire Markstrom's former teammate Erikkson to have them push each other? Plus, Joe Cannata has looked real good. Let him start in Utica.

Bieksa, Booth, and Erikkson for one of Kulikov/Matthias, and a package of cap space. Maybe including Ed Jovanovski or struggling forwards Scott Upshall and/or Tomas Kopecky. (most likely, all forwards coming back rather than any d at all)" This way, you gain one high potential young player while take on someone else cap problems by sending them a bit of ours.

but yeah, most likely it's nothing but i figure i wanted to play the game of random speculate. You move one of the top 4 guys with NTC, and suddenly that 6th spot isn't as clear as it seems. Organization would prefer to play Corrado 20+ mins in Utica than 5 in the NHL. That really would leave Alberts, Weber, and Sauve for the 6th spot, which could be frightening.

Torts probably imagines that the team lacks fiestyness. Could use a skilled agitator somewhere in the lineup like a Upshall. Besides, you need at least 3 lines to compete. Team only has 1 and a half. The 3rd line is more like a 4th line. The 4th line should be the 4th line in Utica.

Last edited by Rey: 10-24-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 03:45 AM
Soups On

I guess I'll be the one to congratulate the man. Hopefully this can spark him up and help him realize that he's got the tools to be a successful NHL player. That car accident was one of the worst things to happen to him and I'm still crossing my fingers he can recover.

On a side note, you could get lost in this guys eyes... Pyatt V2

Soups On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 03:48 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Kevin Bieksa has had two good games, trade him while his value is up. Then, you add Booth to the package. Teams impressed with Stanton, but lacks any fight on D. Sauve does have some toughness, so see if he can be the guy who can clear the front of the net time to time, preventing Luongo to get crashed.

Tim Thomas just got injured, Florida needs a backup, who better than acquire Markstrom's former teammate Erikkson to have them push each other? Plus, Joe Cannata has looked real good. Let him start in Utica.

Bieksa, Booth, and Erikkson for one of Kulikov/Matthias, and a package of cap space. Maybe including Ed Jovanovski or struggling forwards Scott Upshall and/or Tomas Kopecky. (most likely, all forwards coming back rather than any d at all)" This way, you gain one high potential young player while take on someone else cap problems by sending them a bit of ours.

but yeah, most likely it's nothing but i figure i wanted to play the game of random speculate. You move one of the top 4 guys with NTC, and suddenly that 6th spot isn't as clear as it seems. Organization would prefer to play Corrado 20+ mins in Utica than 5 in the NHL. That really would leave Alberts, Weber, and Sauve for the 6th spot, which could be frightening.
That escalated quickly

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 04:57 AM

This isn't Sauve's 1st call-up...

Given the limited chances of success of a 2nd round draft pick, if he sees game time is the draft pick technically a success?

604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 05:57 AM
Jack Tripper
Vey Falls Down

vCash: 888
i totally understand having no confidence in alberts, and on some level i also understand that gillis doesn't want to give up on a second round pick (even though it's clear at this point he should)

the part i don't get is why they've already fallen out of favour with weber, a guy they just signed in the offseason...i'm willing to give gillis a mulligan on that one considering the other great bargain basement signings he made in the summer, in addition to the waiver acquisition of stanton

pretty crazy how one game (ie that brutal san jose preseason game where the weber-alberts pairing played infamously horrid) could torpedo the careers of two fringe nhl players

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 06:45 AM
The Stig
-_-

vCash: 114
Whats the point of that move?

The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 07:03 AM
StrictlyCommercial

vCash: 766
I don't understand. This doesn't make sense on so many levels that it's just... incomprehensible.

1. We don't need a D
2. Even if we did need a D, there's no way in hell that Sauve is above Corrado on the depth chart.
3. Clearly, they have no intention of playing Sauve, which is the only reason he would be called up allowing Corrado to continue logging big minutes in the AHL.

So why the heck is he being called up?

Flabbergasted is the word of the day.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 07:07 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles View Post
They're going to see how Sauve does first before waiving/trading Alberts. If he's somewhat decent, Alberts will be packing his bags.
That might be the case, but I thought we were going to have to waive Alberts anyway once all the injured forwards are back. Do they plan on keeping him with the big club even after that, I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
The only reason he is here is because Gilly wants to justify the pick. If he was nonuts pick, he'd be playing for UBC by now.
A pick from 5 years ago though? That's a bit of a reach...

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 08:13 AM
UticaHockey

Both Gillis and Gilman ( I believe Henning as well) were in Utica llast night for the Comet's home opener. They must have liked what they saw from Sauve.

I actually thought he had the best game of all the D-Men last night as he skated and moved the puck very well. Corrado scored the Comets only goal on a slapshot from the point on a PP. Overall I thought Sauve was more noticeable than Corrado. If they are calling Sauve up to play less than 5 minutes a game then it makes more sense to keep Corrado in Utica where he will see 20 minutes a game. He is only 20 years old playing in his first full pro season.

UticaHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:39 AM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

So does this mean we see Weber as the 12th "forward" tonight?

CalgaryCanuck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

It's pretty clear that Sauvé's dad called up Gills and told him his son needed more ice time.

Just A Bit Outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Doobie Dubois

He fell off a map. Great news if he's returning to form after that car accident.

Doobie Dubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
The only reason he is here is because Gilly wants to justify the pick. If he was nonuts pick, he'd be playing for UBC by now.
Gillis relied mostly on the advice of Nonis amateur scouts in that draft year given the short time he was on the job at the time.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:46 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

My guess is that one or maybe two dmen are more banged up than we know. Might just be a security blanket type thing.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:54 AM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
Definitely not something I expected to see.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Reign Nateo

Yeah hard to make sense of this one, maybe something will happen and it will make sense, but right now it's pretty strange. I understand that there's not a lot of forwards to call up, but never been a big Yan Sauve fan. Could be a reward and he's not expected to play anyway, but he's already had a callup so who knows.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:19 AM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Yeah hard to make sense of this one, maybe something will happen and it will make sense, but right now it's pretty strange. I understand that there's not a lot of forwards to call up, but never been a big Yan Sauve fan. Could be a reward and he's not expected to play anyway, but he's already had a callup so who knows.
Well...he was also a late cut too, wasn't he? Maybe Torts likes him?

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:23 AM
dave babych returns

I wonder if they are just trying to get a look at the defensemen they have on the farm, ie. if we waive Alberts who is going to slide up on the depth chart if/when necessary?

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
When you're Alberts you don't ask..... you DEMAND!
I think that his 37 seconds on Tuesday was just showcasing him for a trade!

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thOverdrive View Post
On a side note, you could get lost in this guys eyes... Pyatt V2
Nobody beats the Whiz.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Steveorama

All kidding aside, I wonder if Hamhuis has an undisclosed injury?
He has been struggling and is a LH like Sauve.

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama View Post
I think that his 37 seconds on Tuesday was just showcasing him for a trade!
It's not impossible that that 37 seconds will be the last of his NHL career.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Proto

My only thought is that for some reason, someone in the organization thinks he could play at this level, and they want to find out. Or maybe Tortorella wants to do some experiment to prove if there is anyone less useful than Andrew Alberts.

Or maybe Sauve needs a bit of money and they're doing him a favour. Maybe he's in deep with some real serious characters from his days in Chicago, the kind of guys that don't forget, the kind of guys that send people to talk to you and make sure you know what's what, the kind of guys that won't take no for an answer. Maybe Yann Sauve isn'th is name at all. Maybe it's John Suave, and they've taken something from him, and he needs some quick money to assemble a team to go and get it back.

They're both equally plausible, in that the correct reaction to either is WHAT THE $*&#???!? (add as many interrobangs as necessary)

Edit: correct thread title should be "What the $*&# is going Yann here?"

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Proto

One thing I really don't like about Sauve's game is that he doesn't play well in traffic...

Too soon?

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote