HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks recall D Yann Sauve from Utica

Old
10-24-2013, 12:49 PM
MS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
I agree with this. Not all 5 games but he had the worst game i have seen from a NHL defenseman. He stop going into the corners and just stood infront of the net and let Salo do the work.
Thank you - I'm glad someone else remembers this. I've mentioned how poor he was a few times here before, and get the standard 'you're exaggerating, he was ok for a young guy'.

But no - he wasn't. He had one decent game against Dallas. The other 4 games he looked absolutely horrendous, including one game against Edmonton (probably the one you're talking about, too) which was the worst game I've ever seen played by an NHL defender.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

But no - he wasn't. He had one decent game against Dallas. The other 4 games he looked absolutely horrendous, including one game against Edmonton (probably the one you're talking about, too) which was the worst game I've ever seen played by an NHL defender.
It's been too long to remember, but I think I remember he was not good. Not the same since he was hit by that car. Or whatever.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Steveorama

vCash: 50
Essentially, the first guy you put on the roster after somebody goes on LTIR does not count against your cap (assuming his salary does not exceed the injured player).
So, if you claim a forward on waivers today, you send Sauve back down, you get extra cap space for the difference between their salaries.
Other advantage is that Sauve's addition puts the Canucks closer to cap limit...so any players added as LTIR replacements give greater cap relief benefit.

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 12:53 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama View Post
Essentially, the first guy you put on the roster after somebody goes on LTIR does not count against your cap (assuming his salary does not exceed the injured player).
So, if you claim a forward on waivers today, you send Sauve back down, you get extra cap space for the difference between their salaries.
Other advantage is that Sauve's addition puts the Canucks closer to cap limit...so any players added at LTIR replacements get greater cap relief benefit.
Oh cool, thanks

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

Boards reaction to the call-up:

No way Sauve!

Just A Bit Outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 01:11 PM
vanwest

The best Yann to play in the NHL since Yann Danis played 53 NHL games mostly for the Islanders. Now if we include 'Yan's" he still has a long way to go to catch Yan Stastny one of the three Stastny brothers to play for the Nordiques.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
The best Yann to play in the NHL since Yann Danis played 53 NHL games mostly for the Islanders. Now if we include 'Yan's" he still has a long way to go to catch Yan Stastny one of the three Stastny brothers to play for the Nordiques.
Ummm, I think the Stastny brothers' names were Peter, Anton and Marian.
Yan Stastny was a scrub who played 91 NHL games with Boston, St. Louis and Edmonton, and even played in the Canucks system.
He is still playing in the DEL.

Old
10-24-2013, 01:53 PM
MS

Quote:
Yan Stastny was a scrub who played 91 NHL games with Boston, St. Louis and Edmonton, and even played in the Canucks system.
Yeah, Yan is Peter Stastny's son (and Paul's brother).

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Yeah, Yan is Peter Stastny's son (and Paul's brother).
Paul's apple fell closer to the tree than Yan's, certainly!

Old
10-24-2013, 02:17 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Cripes! I should have known that. The Stastny brothers were magic with the Nordiques.
It's a good thing I didn't go on to post the top Yannik's as well then!

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Peter10

Send a message via ICQ to Peter10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Can someone please explain this to me as if I were a five year old?
Back from a long time hiatus just for a short time, so i might can give you an answer on that.

The LTIR exception to the Salary Cap can only be used if the replacement call up puts you over the cap.

Example:
With your current team you sit at 63.6m while we have a 64.3m cap. You call up a player with a 600k cap hit, takes you to a team cap hit of 64.2m so you are still cap compliant therefore putting a player on LTIR wont give you any cap relieve.

However if you call up a guy with a 800k cap hit, it will put you over by 100 grand. Now you get relieve if you put Hansen on LTIR and his 1.35m wont count for as long as he is on LTIR, so you are effectivly sitting at 63.05 cap hit or 1.25m below the cap which gives you the chance to call up /trade for another player with a salary of 1.25m

Keep in mind, this is a very simplyfied version of how it works, but this is why we see a Sauve call up here.

The key is the call up a player which puts you over the cap by the slightliest amount possible.

Last edited by Peter10: 10-24-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Peter10 is offline   Reply With Quote