HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Loui Eriksson (Update 11/5 - In the lineup!)

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Neely08

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Not defending Scott who I think has no business in this league,but a 6'8" guy hitting a 6'2 guy is guaranteed a head shot by the bigger player.
Yeah. Chara and all those headshots.

He'd of singlehandedly filled an entire rehab by now, BNHL.

Com'on.

Old
10-24-2013, 09:59 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Not defending Scott who I think has no business in this league,but a 6'8" guy hitting a 6'2 guy is guaranteed a head shot by the bigger player.
No, I don't think it is. You can't look at that tape & tell me Scott wasn't out to do what he did. With less than six minutes left. That GM, that coach, and that player know what he's there for, as CJ said. Period. See Kaleta, see et. al.

Did Milan take a cheap run at Miller? Yes. It wasn't a blind side hit, recall. Whatever else, RM knew Lucic was bearing down. Loui, like Marc before him, didn't. And this is NOT to excuse dirty play on the Bruins' part, as all teams are guilty of it (save, for my brothers sake, the sainted Wings).

No matter where this stuff is coming from, my team or another, I'm thoroughly revulsed by it. Disgusting, as it was when Patrice was hit from behind in '07. Beginning to feel that way about merciless beat-down's, as well, but that's another post.

These days, it's "Move along, nothing to see here" from BOTH the league, *and the NHLPA.* Meanwhile, careers end, and lives are shattered.

Make Me Sick,

Old
10-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Dumb.

Clearly he targeted the head and followed through with the elbow. Any other discussion or reasoning is....dumb.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:13 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
pronger physics! by gum it's been a while.

Old
10-25-2013, 02:41 AM
Alaska
40 Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster57 View Post
Blanket statements are cozy
These are the American Academy of Neurology guidelines and are developed via evidenced base medical practice. Of course you can ignore the guidelines, but you risk permanent brain injury. I've heard this over a hundred times, "I shoulda listened to my doctor".

Old
10-25-2013, 05:21 AM
nazartp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
These are the American Academy of Neurology guidelines and are developed via evidenced base medical practice. Of course you can ignore the guidelines, but you risk permanent brain injury. I've heard this over a hundred times, "I shoulda listened to my doctor".

No one is challenging the guidelines. As far as everyone is concerned, except for 24-hour rule of no symptoms, there is no timeline attached. So, theoretically, you can see a person back from concussion on ice within a week. Therefore, stating that Loui is going to be out for a month has no basis under it.

Look, not a single person on this board would wish Loui to come back earlier than medically prudent, they just pointed out that none of us have information for the return timeline and the guidelines that you posted do not rule out a return within a week.

Old
10-25-2013, 05:39 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazartp View Post
No one is challenging the guidelines. As far as everyone is concerned, except for 24-hour rule of no symptoms, there is no timeline attached. So, theoretically, you can see a person back from concussion on ice within a week. Therefore, stating that Loui is going to be out for a month has no basis under it.

Look, not a single person on this board would wish Loui to come back earlier than medically prudent, they just pointed out that none of us have information for the return timeline and the guidelines that you posted do not rule out a return within a week.
I think you get a sense for recovery based on the first week. If symptoms improve within a few days they probably will return in a week or two . If symptoms are still an issue after a week it may be long ride. My husband was concussed from a car accident in July and he still has some pretty significant issues-if he played hockey he still wouldn't be playing.

Also when it comes to symptoms-players have to be honest with doctors-some players hide symptoms because they want to play-but that is a huge risk to take.

Old
10-25-2013, 05:43 AM
nazartp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
I think you get a sense for recovery based on the first week. If symptoms improve within a few days they probably will return in a week or two . If symptoms are still an issue after a week it may be long ride. My husband was concussed from a car accident in July and he still has some pretty significant issues-if he played hockey he still wouldn't be playing.

Also when it comes to symptoms-players have to be honest with doctors-some players hide symptoms because they want to play-but that is a huge risk to take.
You are preaching to the choir. So far we have about 36 hours worth of data and that's why I said there is not enough information to guess any timeline.

Old
10-25-2013, 05:44 AM
TCL40

Quote:
The real problem was he came from the blind side-and principle point of contact was the head. Had Scott come from the front or a more diagonal angle Eriksson would likely have been fine.

Principle point of contact is what is going to burn Scott-and he's responsible for that hit.

And honestly I would like to see the league start making effort to hold coaches/teams accountable when the hits are predatory. I think sometimes a good player just gets caught up and makes a bad decision, but some of these hits (like Scott's) seem predatory and intended to harm or provoke (I am not sure Scott intended this harm-I do think he intended to lay cheap shots to provoke a response from somebody-the Bruins were turning him down all night).

I would like to see them fine teams and coaches when players appear to be predatory-make the front office and coaches pocketbooks feel some pain and they might make more efforts to stop the players.

Last edited by TCL40: 10-25-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old
10-25-2013, 06:02 AM
nazartp

Quote:
I think you are wrong here. A clean shoulder to shoulder hit is well within the realm of possibility here, especially given the fact that Scott moved at 90 degree trajectory to Loui's.

Frontal shoulder hits - I kind of agree with you, even though in that case I would prefer to see a hip check.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:31 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Yeah. Chara and all those headshots.

He'd of singlehandedly filled an entire rehab by now, BNHL.

Com'on.
Chara's physical in close but no open ice hitting on his resume. Players of his size would have to crouch to deliver a shoulder check on much smaller players that were not head level. I have no idea if Scott was thinking head shot head shot during the approach. It was a shoulder to a slightly crouched player's head. Hang him for head contact,hang him if you think it's blind but players of his unnatural size would have to crouch to deliver a shoulder to chest shot. Personally I had a guy about 6'4 deliver a hip check to my head when I was crouched,curling out of a corner. Never saw him,ruptured a disk. Whose fault? Throw Scott out of the league for being a useless hockey player who has now delivered a reckless hit.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:53 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Chara's physical in close but no open ice hitting on his resume. Players of his size would have to crouch to deliver a shoulder check on much smaller players that were not head level. I have no idea if Scott was thinking head shot head shot during the approach. It was a shoulder to a slightly crouched player's head. Hang him for head contact,hang him if you think it's blind but players of his unnatural size would have to crouch to deliver a shoulder to chest shot. Personally I had a guy about 6'4 deliver a hip check to my head when I was crouched,curling out of a corner. Never saw him,ruptured a disk. Whose fault? Throw Scott out of the league for being a useless hockey player who has now delivered a reckless hit.
Then I guess he is going to have to learn to crouch.

If Scott cannot adjust to his size difference compared with other players on the ice, maybe he should be playing basketball? To be honest, when you look at his on-ice production, he should probably be playing basketball anyway

Old
10-25-2013, 06:57 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Isn't Loui like 6'2"? It's not like he's Nathan Gerbe or MSL out there. No excuse for Scott. None.

Old
10-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

“John Scott is an embarrassment to hockey, let alone the Sabres,” wrote Gleason. “He’s among several players in Buffalo, along with their coach, who have no business being in the NHL.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ation_cox.html

Old
10-25-2013, 08:09 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
“John Scott is an embarrassment to hockey, let alone the Sabres,” wrote Gleason. “He’s among several players in Buffalo, along with their coach, who have no business being in the NHL.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ation_cox.html
Not very often do I agree with Damian Cox but....

Old
10-25-2013, 08:11 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Then I guess he is going to have to learn to crouch.

If Scott cannot adjust to his size difference compared with other players on the ice, maybe he should be playing basketball? To be honest, when you look at his on-ice production, he should probably be playing basketball anyway
Haha

Rugby might be good for him too

Funny, Chara hasn`t had any issues respecting fellow players with clean hits being the biggest man in the game.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:14 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Haha

Rugby might be good for him too

Funny, Chara hasn`t had any issues respecting fellow players with clean hits being the biggest man in the game.
How many open ice hits have you seen Chara attempt? Scott doesn't belong in the league but look at the video, Did he leave his feet. Raise his elbow prior? He simply cruised right into a crouching Eriksson while he was in a vulnerable position. Shoulder hit face. How many players could hit Eriksson in the face with a shoulder while on their skates? Scott's size is a major factor.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:17 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
How many open ice hits have you seen Chara attempt?
An open ice hit to a player not in a position to protect themselves ??? Not one, how many times have you seen Chara hold himself back from being able to absolutely drive any players head into the glass in his own end but doesn`t??

Are you kidding me with this? It`s about respect, and please don`t next type the Patches situation in as a response, Z could conceivably injure someone on any given play, he plays the game right, and has had ample time to accumulate a nice little collection of M.A.S.H unit victims if he wanted to.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:18 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
How many open ice hits have you seen Chara attempt?
So what you are saying is that Chara is smart enough to capitalize on his strengths and not try to hit guys in open ice where his size could be a disadvantage...but Scott is too stupid to figure it out?

I would buy that, except for the obvious and intent on Scott's follow though. It wouldn't have mattered if he was 5'8", because he was intentionally targeting Eriksson's head.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:22 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
An open ice hit to a player not in a position to protect themselves ??? Not one, how many times have you seen Chara hold himself back from being able to absolutely drive any players head into the glass in his own end but doesn`t??

Are you kidding me with this? It`s about respect, and please don`t next type the Patches situation in as a response, Z could conceivably injure someone on any given play, he plays the game right, and has had ample time to accumulate a nice little collection of M.A.S.H unit victims if he wanted to.
Chara never open ice hits,ever. I wish he would. But he'd end up punished if he played like Scott Stevens. His shoulder would be taking heads off. I've seen him penalized in the past for hits that are a direct result of his size and not over aggressiveness.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:25 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Chara never open ice hits,ever. I wish he would. But he'd end up punished if he played like Scott Stevens. His shoulder would be taking heads off. I've seen him penalized in the past for hits that are a direct result of his size and not over aggressiveness.
Why?? Why on earth would you want our captain doing what a certain captain in Toronto does with regularity taking himself out of position?? Chara isn`t a guy who, if he went for the big hit was able to seemlessly get himself back into the play with his smooth/quick skating. He knows his game, and open ice hits aren`t part of it.

Your losing me quickly

Old
10-25-2013, 08:27 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

chara never open ice hits because he's responsibly back in his own zone waiting for the play to come to him. he plays too much to be running around looking for open ice hits and taking himself out of position. his mobility has slipped over the years and if he were to be that far out of position it would be an odd man rush for the opposing team.

you're following pronger physics.

Quote:
The contact, he said, was partly because he is 6-foot-6 and Holmstrom is 6-foot-1. Of course I'm going to hit him in the head," Pronger said. "He's quite a bit shorter than me. It's just law of physics."
the point being, you have to take responsibility for making sure that as a bigger player that you're not elbowing someone in the head intentionally. of course, good players like chara make sure of that and his only crime was aggressively helping pacioretty remodel the boards. scott is a bag of **** with ears who is lucky to be in the league, he doesn't give a **** about his actions.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:27 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Why?? Why on earth would you want our captain doing what a certain captain in Toronto does with regularity taking himself out of position?? Chara isn`t a guy who, if he went for the big hit was able to seemlessly get himself back into the play with his smooth/quick skating. He knows his game, and open ice hits aren`t part of it.

Your losing me quickly
You've lost me.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:33 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Chara actually uses position and stick far more often when defending than hits. It isn't that he doesn't hit but as often as not he just uses his huge body and stick to take away the angles and/or the puck.

Boychuk is really the only guy who makes a habit of open ice hits and he is smart enough to let them come to him rather than looking for them.

Scott in his hit on Eriksson was looking for the hit-and that generally leads to bad things (usually minor like giving up scoring chances not injury but bad things happen when you look for hits).

Old
10-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

My favourite part of the "physics" argument is that these giants haven't spent their lives and playing careers surrounded by other people that tall.

They're accustomed to checking players half a foot shorter than them, so if "physics" really were the problem, they'd be headshotting all the time.

Closed Thread