HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Out of Town Scoreboard

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Holy spit...safe to say the Booth/Canucks relationship in Vancouver has hit a bit of a bump.

https://twitter.com/botchford/status/403620501030834177

Old
11-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Hockey is fine when played with 20 minute 5v5 sudden death overtime...like in the playoffs. Due to an 82 game schedule and travel with back-to-back games I understand we can't do that.

However, ties were absolutely terrible and must be done away with. There was nothing fine with dropping $100 bucks to watch both teams play for a point when we had ties. It was god-awful and some of the worst hockey I've witnessed.
Sometimes neither team deserves to lose... some times neither team deserves to win.

It was fine for decades but they decided morons needed to be entertained. As if unsuccessful shootout attempts are entertaining. I mean really what is fun about seeing goalies make routine saves or shooters having half assed efforts? There's a reason why many star players hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Holy spit...safe to say the Booth/Canucks relationship in Vancouver has hit a bit of a bump.

https://twitter.com/botchford/status/403620501030834177
Torts has really lost it over they years.

Roaring back?
Malkin 6th in scoring 4 points away from Crosby... all this an Pens fans are screaming for his head and he get's called lazy.

Old
11-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
However, ties were absolutely terrible and must be done away with. There was nothing fine with dropping $100 bucks to watch both teams play for a point when we had ties. It was god-awful and some of the worst hockey I've witnessed.
So you'd rather see some gimmick decide a game to justify the $ you put down for the game and make it look like someone won and someone lost when in reality, it was a tie? Okay then...

Old
11-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Ties suck and shootouts suck. Gotta find another way.

Old
11-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2MacKinnon View Post
Torts has really lost it over they years.
Yeah, he's crazy, but I like him. He's at least honest and straightforward, unlike a certain coach who used to say little more than "We didn't start the game on time" and "Hard to play against".

Forgot it was Kevin Porter who took Booth out a couple seasons ago. So glad he's gone. Good guy, terrible player.

Old
11-22-2013, 07:36 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:
So you'd rather see some gimmick decide a game to justify the $ you put down for the game and make it look like someone won and someone lost when in reality, it was a tie? Okay then...
Not really...I'd rather see the game continued 5v5 with no intermissions until someone scores. Doubt that will happen but what I really DON'T want to see are two teams playing for a tie because it is better to get 1 point than 0. I've seen way too much of that.

Old
11-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2MacKinnon View Post
What's next 2 on then goalie fights? Stop screwing with the game of hockey it was fine when it had ties.
They already screwed with it and I really doubt they go back to ties. If my choices are shootout or 3 on 3 OT, I know which one I'm picking. Deciding games with a skills competition is stupid.

Soccer is the only other sport that has ties and a shootout gimmick. People around the world still love it but that **** doesn't fly in North America.

Old
11-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Ties suck and shootouts suck. Gotta find another way.
What do you suggest, rock paper scissors?

Quote:
Yeah, he's crazy, but I like him. He's at least honest and straightforward, unlike a certain coach who used to say little more than "We didn't start the game on time" and "Hard to play against".

Forgot it was Kevin Porter who took Booth out a couple seasons ago. So glad he's gone. Good guy, terrible player.
I like him but wouldn't want him for my team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
They already screwed with it and I really doubt they go back to ties. If my choices are shootout or 3 on 3 OT, I know which one I'm picking. Deciding games with a skills competition is stupid.

Soccer is the only other sport that has ties and a shootout gimmick. People around the world still love it but that **** doesn't fly in North America.
Yeah, I don't see them going back to ties but they should.

That **** doesn't fly in NA? It was fine for Canadians, only reason it's here is to get more fans in Murica. 3 on 3, 2 on 2, shootouts... it's all crap. Ties is the only thing that makes sense.

This isles/pens game is unreal... don't remember the last time I've seen soo many missed chances on wide open nets.

Old
11-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

Even if you have 3 on 3, it's for a limited time and then you have to have a SO anyway. Games can't last longer than 2.5 hours for television reasons so all a little bit of 3 on 3 will do is reduce the number of games that's decided by shootout.

Old
11-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Even if you have 3 on 3, it's for a limited time and then you have to have a SO anyway. Games can't last longer than 2.5 hours for television reasons so all a little bit of 3 on 3 will do is reduce the number of games that's decided by shootout.
That's true but I'll take it. The less games that go to a SO, the better.

The fun factor of 3 on 3 might go away after a while but I think it could be good. Duchene and MacKinnon with all that room on the ice......

Old
11-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Not really...I'd rather see the game continued 5v5 with no intermissions until someone scores. Doubt that will happen but what I really DON'T want to see are two teams playing for a tie because it is better to get 1 point than 0. I've seen way too much of that.
That's all well and good to want, but you know as well as anyone that's not realistic.

Bottom line, there's a lot of parity in the league, goaltending is better than ever, and all coaches use systems. You're going to see some ties. The wide-open days of the 80s are a distant memory for better or worse. Thankfully I think the league has at least found a better balance when it comes to clutch-and-grab. We're at least not seeing the kind of hockey we saw in the Dead Puck Era. I suppose we should be grateful that we had one of the few truly dynamic teams during that time.

Old
11-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
That's all well and good to want, but you know as well as anyone that's not realistic.

Bottom line, there's a lot of parity in the league, goaltending is better than ever, and all coaches use systems. You're going to see some ties. The wide-open days of the 80s are a distant memory for better or worse. Thankfully I think the league has at least found a better balance when it comes to clutch-and-grab. We're at least not seeing the kind of hockey we saw in the Dead Puck Era. I suppose we should be grateful that we had one of the few truly dynamic teams during that time.
Those were the days...

Ises got robbed

Old
11-22-2013, 08:41 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 157
Wrong thread, uhh uhm, go montreal!

Old
11-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator