Josh Freeman to the Vikings

Old
10-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
Josh Freeman to the Vikings

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
Josh Freeman is going to the Vikings per league source.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Josh Freeman is signing with Minnesota.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Freeman has been one of the worst QBs in the league but for some reason I'm excited about this. We already know what Ponder can do, might as well see if Freeman is any better in this offense.

Old
10-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 567
1 year deal.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:37 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Freeman has been one of the worst QBs in the league but for some reason I'm excited about this. We already know what Ponder can do, might as well see if Freeman is any better in this offense.
Probably because the Vikings now have a quarterback that can chuck it down the field.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:40 PM
spintheblackcircle
$$$$$$$$

...Ponder calls his real estate agent....

10-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Reality Check

I guess he felt like this was his best option to hopefully rebuild his value and cash in next year.

If that does happen, he'll go to the highest bidder.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Big Poppa Puck
SAWFT!

I like it. Better than what we have and worth a shot for basically peanuts to see if they can turn him around. If not you're in the same position next off-season that you were likely to be in anyway.

I expect them to waste their return IR spot on Ponder instead of cutting MBT.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Leafs at Knight
\_(ツ)_/

From worse to bad, so I guess it's a step forward.

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
He's going to need to step in quickly. I hope it works out for him.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 05:52 AM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
ugh
I don't know how to feel about this.

I guess he is no worse then the other two playing QB.
Although, Cassel didnt look all that bad vs the Steelers last week, but it is the Steelers and they have not looked very good at all this year.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:00 AM
JCD

I love the signing.

It will take several weeks for him to get up to speed, but gives him an earlier audition for the 2014 starting role.

If during the last half/quarter of the season Freeman plays well, he gets an extension and the Vikes have their 2014 starter already up to speed. If he continues to struggle or doesn't shown enough in practice to even play, then we turn to somebody else in the summer.

This is a great low-risk/high-reward opportunity.

I also hope that this finally puts and end to the Ponder debacle. Heck, stash him on IR and be done with it. We know Ponder is a bust, let Cassel and Freeman compete to start.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:55 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
I love the signing.

It will take several weeks for him to get up to speed, but gives him an earlier audition for the 2014 starting role.

If during the last half/quarter of the season Freeman plays well, he gets an extension and the Vikes have their 2014 starter already up to speed. If he continues to struggle or doesn't shown enough in practice to even play, then we turn to somebody else in the summer.

This is a great low-risk/high-reward opportunity.

I also hope that this finally puts and end to the Ponder debacle. Heck, stash him on IR and be done with it. We know Ponder is a bust, let Cassel and Freeman compete to start.
More like low-risk/medium-reward opportunity.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Good move for Vikes ,, JCD sums it up well

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:57 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
More like low-risk/medium-reward opportunity.
All a matter of perspective. Since Culpepper's 2004 season, Brett Favre's 1-year-wonder has been the only time a Viking QB has thrown for more than 18 TDs.

If Freeman can get back to his 30-TD form, that would be absolutely HUGE for us.

Old
10-07-2013, 01:14 PM
MurrayBannerman
Machu Picchu Toews

vCash: 2660
How many backup quarterbacks do the Vikings need?

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 01:41 PM
TheGooooch

Since the Raiders released Flynn they should get him. Wherever he goes the backup seems to have success

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
If Freeman can get back to his 30-TD form, that would be absolutely HUGE for us.
That's a big "if" based on his recent play. He makes a lot of dumb mistakes and he's a bit of a project at this point. However, at least he has shown something at the NFL level and has had some success. Unlike Ponder and Cassel, he has the arm to make plays. I'm not only talking about the deep balls either, Ponder doesn't even have the arm strength to throw it outside the numbers without it ending up in disaster. He has such little zip on the ball so defenders can easily jump in front. Being able to occasionally stretch the field with Patterson and Simpson is a bonus.

Freeman definitely isn't without blame but I wonder how much Schiano and his offense effected his play. That awful completion percentage and interceptions isn't all on Freeman. It seemed like they just chucked it deep to Jackson and Williams on every other pass attempt. Everything going on behind the scenes couldn't have helped either. I think Freeman is a much better fit with Leslie Frazier but who knows if that will translate to success on the field.

Cassel probably gets the start this week against the Panthers. The earliest we'll see Freeman is probably week 8 against the Packers, even that might be too soon.

Old
10-07-2013, 04:45 PM
JCD

Quote:
That's a big "if" based on his recent play. He makes a lot of dumb mistakes and he's a bit of a project at this point. However, at least he has shown something at the NFL level and has had some success. Unlike Ponder and Cassel, he has the arm to make plays. I'm not only talking about the deep balls either, Ponder doesn't even have the arm strength to throw it outside the numbers without it ending up in disaster. He has such little zip on the ball so defenders can easily jump in front. Being able to occasionally stretch the field with Patterson and Simpson is a bonus.

Freeman definitely isn't without blame but I wonder how much Schiano and his offense effected his play. That awful completion percentage and interceptions isn't all on Freeman. It seemed like they just chucked it deep to Jackson and Williams on every other pass attempt. Everything going on behind the scenes couldn't have helped either. I think Freeman is a much better fit with Leslie Frazier but who knows if that will translate to success on the field.

Cassel probably gets the start this week against the Panthers. The earliest we'll see Freeman is probably week 8 against the Packers, even that might be too soon.
Agreed on all counts.

Way I see it, if Freeman is going to be a bust, better to find that during this wasted season than next year.

Old
10-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Agreed on all counts.

Way I see it, if Freeman is going to be a bust, better to find that during this wasted season than next year.
Pretty much. We've already seen what Ponder can do and it's clear he's a bust. Might as well give Freeman a shot. He should get 6-8 games unless he really stinks in practice or if Cassel is playing out of his mind and winning games. We should have a pretty good idea if Freeman is someone to invest in for the future or move on after the season. This move costs the team nothing in terms of assets and it's not like the QB play can get much worse.

Old
10-07-2013, 05:46 PM
JCD

Quote:
Pretty much. We've already seen what Ponder can do and it's clear he's a bust. Might as well give Freeman a shot. He should get 6-8 games unless he really stinks in practice or if Cassel is playing out of his mind and winning games. We should have a pretty good idea if Freeman is someone to invest in for the future or move on after the season. This move costs the team nothing in terms of assets and it's not like the QB play can get much worse.
Yep.

Giving us a jumpstart on our QB options for 2014.

My only fear is that they keep this a three-horse race and don't see if Freeman is viable. Based on the money they reportedly gave him, that doesn't seem likely.

Old
10-12-2013, 04:44 PM
JCD

Found this interesting:
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vi...espnapi_public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun King
"It's interesting there," said King, who said in the interview he had talked to people in the Vikings organization about the Freeman signing. "Leslie Frazier won't handle it like (Buccaneers coach) Greg Schiano did but Leslie Frazier really wasn't in favor of bringing Josh Freeman in. This is (general manager) Rick Spielman and the owner (Zygi Wilf) who overruled the head coach and said, 'No, we've kind of figured out what Christian Ponder is. We want to see what Josh Freeman can bring this team.'"
Not sure how King knows what went on within the Vikes organization. If Frazier is indeed still backing Ponder as the Vikes' QB, then he is done as a head coach. We can only hope his personal ***** for Ponder doesn't get in the way of him playing the Vikes best option at QB.

Old
10-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Big Poppa Puck
SAWFT!

If Frazier was still backing Ponder I think he'd be starting tomorrow and not Cassel. Unless this is like 2008 when Zygi and others essentially forced Clueless to bench Jackson for Frerotte.

I'm not sure if not wanting Freeman and being behind Ponder are related. If they are then, ya, Frazier's time is probably running out with the Vikings.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
I don't know

Frazier might be able to get an extra year of employment out of that playoff appearance

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 07:08 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I don't know

Frazier might be able to get an extra year of employment out of that playoff appearance
Honestly, those 3 first rounders are not looking like anything special(Patterson has been good as a kick returner, that's about it), that combined with cutting Antoine Winfield without even trying to renegotiate and signing Matt Cassel as insurance for ponder? I think this guy might deserve to go more than frazier

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 10-12-2013 at 07:16 PM.
aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 07:45 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Honestly, those 3 first rounders are not looking like anything special(Patterson has been good as a kick returner, that's about it), that combined with cutting Antoine Winfield without even trying to renegotiate and signing Matt Cassel as insurance for ponder? I think this guy might deserve to go more than frazier
What are you talking about? Spielman has his issues, but you hit on none of them.

-Patterson has barely played (zero starts). He was drafted as a raw player, so that should come as no surprise. Floyd has also yet to start a game. He also remains a project.

-Rhodes has played very well at CB, far-and-away the team's best. IIRC, he also ranks among league leaders in fewest allowed completions. Not good enough to warrant DROY, but a good rookie campaign none-the-less.

-Considering Winfield couldn't make any other team's roster this season, how is cutting him a bad thing? As stated to you before, he was an outright liability in coverage last year. A corner who can't cover has no place in the NFL.

-Cassel is not a good starter, but is a good back-up. And drastically outplayed Ponder. If the team wasn't ready to admit Ponder was a bust, then signing Cassel as insurance was a wise move.