HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Rumors/Speculation/News), Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2013, 01:47 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 1050
and the devils would be stupid to give them that. this team needs to fix itself through time, shea weber won't fix this teams problems

Old
10-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

vCash: 500
I just looked at the schedule and we don't have 3 home games in a row until December. We have a couple games of 3 in a row after that, but our longest is 5 in a row in March.

The lack of consecutive home games is brutal this year.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I just looked at the schedule and we don't have 3 home games in a row until December. We have a couple games of 3 in a row after that, but our longest is 5 in a row in March.

The lack of consecutive home games is brutal this year.
they don't even up Home/Away until the last game of the season.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:06 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
I would 100% go after Weber. Hes a stud
No doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
What's your offer? Larsson, Gelinas, Tedenby and next years first?
Henrique, Larsson, Fayne, 2015 2nd and 2016 1st

Shea Weber is a proven stud who can eat up close to 30 minutes per game while playing tough even strenght minutes, be a force on our #1 PP and PK unit as well. A Gélinas-Weber or a Merrill-Weber pairing would almost be on par with one of our best pairing ever and that's Stevens-Niedermayer.

I wouldn't lose any sleep with the players going the other way if that package is good enough to land us one of the top #5 blueliners in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
we dont need anymore forwards to be quite honest
Thank you. We have forward depth coming out of our ***** ATM. What we do need is up and coming talent at the forward position and odds are you won't be able to get that by trades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Nashville would want something like Henrique+Larsson+Boucher+1st+2nd for Weber, and they'd be absolutely right to ask for that.
And I'd still do it regardless.

We'd be giving up question marks in favour of a proven stud. The biggest piece we'd be losing would be Larsson but Weber makes up for that and then some. Regarding Henrique, meh, he's a solid player but once again, if it means getting someone like Weber who'll play around 25 minutes per night at a All-Star level, I'd pack his bags.

The other assets aren't even garanteed to crack the NHL and it's not like we can say that our 1st round picks have been anything special over the past 5 years or so.

I'd take a proven All-Star over a bunch of promising kids with some upside and some picks.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:06 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasR8 View Post
and the devils would be stupid to give them that. this team needs to fix itself through time, shea weber won't fix this teams problems
I agree 100%. I'm just saying we'd have to give up enormous value.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:12 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
How so?

We'd be losing only two pieces that are currently playing on our roster. The rest of that package is nothing but question marks.

He'd help mentor guys like Gélinas, Merrill and Santini. He'd be a force on our 1st pairing and we'd have a stud on the blueline for the 1st time since Niedermayer walked out to go play with his brother.

We won cups from the net out and if we could possibly land Weber for that type of package, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Saying that Weber wouldn't fix anything is absurd. Is Tedenby, Corrente, Josefson or any of our past 1st round picks helping us fix **** atm?

To me, that's like the episode in Family guy where Peter decides to take the "magic box" instead of the free speed boat.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:24 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

On top of everything we'd have to give up, he's owed $82M more dollars on a deal that will take him up to 40+ years of age.

Recapture on his deal will be a ticking timebomb.

Edit: Removed additional $$$ due to mid season trade as $13M is already received as bonus

Old
10-28-2013, 02:26 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
On top of everything we'd have to give up, he's owed $82M (perhaps another 10 if you trade for him now) more dollars on a deal that will take him up to 40+ years of age.

Recapture on his deal will be a ticking timebomb.
It's certainly what Nashville has realized. Why pay a guy 14 million for the next 3 years and 12 million for the following 2 when you know you're not contending? Then you have him for his twilight and reap zero benefits.

Best to trade him for a package of young players and picks to a contending team who is willing to take that deal.

I don't know if we qualify as one of those teams.

What's crazy is that the Wild will be shopping Parise soon. I feel it. I think teams will start to realize that these deals are just absolute murder.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:29 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
It's certainly what Nashville has realized. Why pay a guy 14 million for the next 3 years and 12 million for the following 2 when you know you're not contending? Then you have him for his twilight and reap zero benefits.

Best to trade him for a package of young players and picks to a contending team who is willing to take that deal.

What's crazy is that the Wild will be shopping Parise soon. I feel it. I think teams will start to realize that these deals are just absolute murder.
If that was the case, Poile would've pocketed all of Philly's 1st round picks for the next 4 years but he decided to do the contrary.

Poile isn't the one making the paychecks, so it's the owners who decided to keep him and I'm certain they had a get together with their Gm to see if it was a wise decision to make.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:30 PM
tycobb

Quote:

Weber is worth his contract. He is only 28 and defenseman have a much easier time playing great in their late 30s. The major problem with Weber's deal is when he retires in 2022-23. The cap recapture is going to be a major issue for whoever holds his contract.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:30 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
If that was the case, Poile would've pocketed all of Philly's 1st round picks for the next 4 years but he decided to do the contrary.

Poile isn't the one making the paychecks, so it's the owners who decided to keep him and I'm certain they had a get together with their Gm to see if it was a wise decision to make.
True. Though they might have taken the certainty of Shea Weber and potentially trading him for more established pieces over 4 late first rounders (because let's be real).

Weber's trade value > 4 first round picks from a contender.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:31 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Weber is worth his contract. He is only 28 and defenseman have a much easier time playing great in their late 30s. The major problem with Weber's deal is when he retires in 2022-23. The cap recapture is going to be a major issue for whoever holds his contract.
Yes he's worth his deal, but not to a team like Nashville. Why pay a guy 14 million a season when you're not contending? It makes no sense. Sell him off for young talent and build.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:32 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
How so?

We'd be losing only two pieces that are currently playing on our roster. The rest of that package is nothing but question marks.

He'd help mentor guys like Gélinas, Merrill and Santini. He'd be a force on our 1st pairing and we'd have a stud on the blueline for the 1st time since Niedermayer walked out to go play with his brother.

We won cups from the net out and if we could possibly land Weber for that type of package, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Saying that Weber wouldn't fix anything is absurd. Is Tedenby, Corrente, Josefson or any of our past 1st round picks helping us fix **** atm?

To me, that's like the episode in Family guy where Peter decides to take the "magic box" instead of the free speed boat.

I don't think Weber is the difference between this team being a playoff team and a lottery team. I wouldn't be surprised if we finished in the bottom 10 if he was here and giving up so many high picks will be a killer to this team.

Josefson,Tedenby,Corrente were all late first round picks, if we trade our 1st round pick we wouldn't have 2014, 2015 with those potential being top 10 first round picks(maybe even top 5).

Weber would be perfect for a team on the bubble of being a contender(Islanders) not us.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:33 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1m

By going 4-for-7 Saturday in Boston. Devils' PP jumped from 15.2%/20th in NHL to 22.5%/8th in NHL.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

He has a terrible contract.

Old
tycobb

Quote:
True. Though they might have taken the certainty of Shea Weber and potentially trading him for more established pieces over 4 late first rounders (because let's be real).

Weber's trade value > 4 first round picks from a contender.
Oh easily, but I am pretty sure Weber gets traded at the trade deadline or offseason. Nashville pays 90% of Webers salary on day 1 of each year for like the next 5 years.

Old
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post

By going 4-for-7 Saturday in Boston. Devils' PP jumped from 15.2%/20th in NHL to 22.5%/8th in NHL.
All I read was "Gelinas."

Old
10-28-2013, 02:38 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Yes he's worth his deal, but not to a team like Nashville. Why pay a guy 14 million a season when you're not contending? It makes no sense. Sell him off for young talent and build.
Nashville has a budget. They will adjust so they are under or at their budget. I think they should trade him, but because for the cap recapture problem not because he isn't worth his deal.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post

What world have I fallen into that the Devils have a top 10 power play?!?

Old
10-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

"You're welcome"

Old
10-28-2013, 02:43 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Nashville has a budget. They will adjust so they are under or at their budget. I think they should trade him, but because for the cap recapture problem not because he isn't worth his deal.
I think he's worth his deal - just not to the Predators if that makes any sense.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post

"You're welcome"

what - too soon?

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
10-28-2013, 03:33 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
I don't think Weber is the difference between this team being a playoff team and a lottery team. I wouldn't be surprised if we finished in the bottom 10 if he was here and giving up so many high picks will be a killer to this team.

Josefson,Tedenby,Corrente were all late first round picks, if we trade our 1st round pick we wouldn't have 2014, 2015 with those potential being top 10 first round picks(maybe even top 5).

Weber would be perfect for a team on the bubble of being a contender(Islanders) not us.
We aren't as bad as our record, that's for certain. We do have several players who shouldn't be on our roster ATM but that'll eventually take care of itself.

Just removing a cement skater and a career AHL'er has made this team wayyyyyy better already. Granted, we don't have anyone to bring up on the offensive side of things but we do have solid prospects on the backend plus a netminder of the future, if we can get him to resign.

If we can build the type of blueline I think we can plus have Schneider between the pipes, the rest will be alot easier to fix then the other way around. We have Zajac who's locked up for a long time, we have Loktionov who's showing some upside and Josefson who can easily handle the duty of a 3rd line center. If there's one thing that the Pens showed everyone is that landing a winger at the deadline is the easiest piece to get if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seto View Post
He has a terrible contract.
Look at todays market and you'll see that his contract is almost a bargain when taking into consideration that he'll be locked up at a cap hit of 7.8M$ per for the next 14 years. The cap will also go up as soon as next year IIRC, so it's not that big of a deal.

His contract is almost the same as Kris Letang and I can tell you right now that I'd rather have Weber 10x out of 10 of Letang.

When you put things into perspective, he's basically eating as much cap space as both Salvador and #28 combined. Just that alone makes me want to puke all over my keyboard !!!

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 10-28-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old
10-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Solid reference Sal, solid reference

Quote:
Salvador just returned to New Jersey Saturday after traveling to Lethbridge, Alberta for funeral of a family member who passed away last week.

“It was like planes, trains and automobiles,” Salvador said. “It was about a five-hour flight, security, customs and then a two and a half hour car ride. There are no direct flights there.”

Old
10-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

vCash: 425

"Oddly enough the radio still works. Clear as a bell."

Great movie and it's almost time to watch it again.

Closed Thread