HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Rumors/Speculation/News), Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Ripshot 43

vCash: 500
I swear many people on here don't even watch the games but rather scour the Internet for stat lines.

Zajac won't be appreciated until he's out of the lineup.

Not sure who ever expected Zajac to light it up, but you probably weren't watching the games before this last contract either then.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:50 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Bernier does a good job at doing that.

Olesz should be an extra forward and Josefson should be in the lineup.
I think Bernier is the most underrated forward on this team. I think it's easy to forget his pedigree given how Pete uses him (exclusively 4th line, emergency sub on other lines).

He has such a well-rounded, complete game. I think he deserves to play more minutes and deserves to play on a better line with more talent around him.

I think he carries that fourth line

Old
11-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

He isn't showing much confidence either. He knows he isn't playing well, though he needs to get more aggressive and try and break this.

Question long term is he going to continue to regress, or will he bounce back. He has lots of games to find a groove so I am willing to wait and see. Not like we have a better option right now anyway.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:53 PM
SansaStark

Well folks ive really heard it all now.
Ive just been told zuccarello is better than any forward on the devs.

We might as well pack it up and forfiet the season. ****ing rags fans are so ridiculous

Old
11-01-2013, 12:54 PM
JK3
ARMY OF PANDOLFOS

Zajac is supposed to be one of our CORE PLAYERS, comparing him to tweeners trying to stick in the lineup is laughable. He's billed as one of the better two way centers. When he signed that contract he was expected to be a KEY PART of our team, our top center, put up points, play elite D, an experienced vet that is to be counted on and to be leader. He's not supposed to be a passenger.

He just doesn't make anyone he plays with better, at all. His production has dried up and I'm OK with that for a while as long as he is a stud in the other parts of his game which are supposed to be his strengths. He's going down the road of just being a 3rd line role player, plays ok D, wins face-offs and kills penalties.

Old
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshot 43 View Post
I swear many people on here don't even watch the games but rather scour the Internet for stat lines.

Not sure who ever expected Zajac to light it up, but you probably weren't watching the games before this last contract either then.
thank you.

Old
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:

quite the contrary. what is he doing right now that makes him so special? everyone hoped that last year was a fluke...and nobody here wants to see him fail. but for those years at that price, you gotta do have AT LEAST one area you truly excel in.

we've all been watching the games. we are just able to objectively see zajac as he is currently playing, and not parise's buddy of yesteryear.

youre living in the paaaasst, man

Old
11-01-2013, 12:55 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
so PSEG brings up GF/GA yesterday in his argument but today when I bring it up its "not the be all end all"

hmmm.
Let's be clear here I never said it was. I even pointed out the weaknesses yesterday when someone took issue with it. I fully understand that no statistic is perfect. But "hmmm" all your want.

I also noticed that you ignore the rest of my posts. The whole straw-man thing is getting old.

Quote:

I really do appreciate what Zajac has brought defensively throughout his time here. I defended him here and on the main board. I entered this season thinking that, even if he scored 40 points, he would be a "top-line center." If he won face-offs at a 58% rate, played elite, Selke quality defense, and was a shut-down PK player - that to me can be just as much of a first-line center as a guy who is all offense and no defense.

However what we disagree on is his competence this season defensively. He's been "Zajac of old" through stretches. He has been lazy at times in other instances. He was called out on national TV from what I read here. He looks like he's skating on cement sometimes. No agility, no speed, no aggressiveness. It's infuriating given how great he has been.

I expect a lot from Travis. If everyone is ok with what we're getting now, especially defensively, then that's where we fundamentally disagree and we can table the issue until we have a greater sample of games.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
He isn't showing much confidence either. He knows he isn't playing well, though he needs to get more aggressive and try and break this.

Question long term is he going to continue to regress, or will he bounce back. He has lots of games to find a groove so I am willing to wait and see. Not like we have a better option right now anyway.
He has to be aware. He's a prideful guy who probably doesn't enjoy stealing money from the organization. With that said, could you imagine the firestorm if he was playing in Toronto or Montreal like this? He has been afforded the luxury of playing in quiet New Jersey.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Ripshot 43

Also, just as FMASC follows zone exits and other stats, I'm going to start following who is currently the whipping boy for the Devils, how long it lasts and why.

Zajac - trending down - cant score, won't shoot, not winning enough faceoffs, pretty useless, apparently not good on Defence anymore, no longer has Brian Rolston in front of him to take HFboards heat off of him.

Volchenkov - even - warrior, not messing up as much as usual, stay tuned cause all it will take is one mess up.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
He has to be aware. He's a prideful guy who probably doesn't enjoy stealing money from the organization. With that said, could you imagine the firestorm if he was playing in Toronto or Montreal like this? He has been afforded the luxury of playing in quiet New Jersey.
I am pretty sure he has stated once or twice he needs to be better in an interview or two pre or post game. I am convinced he knows the deal. I am even more sure he knows he needs to be better in his own end and in the dot as he is playing below what he is capable of.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:58 PM
billingtons ghost

Quote:

I think all it takes is watching a game to see how little an impact he is having for a supposed first-line center.

He isn't producing like a top-line center so you hope to get either some Drury-esque grit from him, or for him to win every faceoff.

The claim is he is good defensively is also a little weak, in that he doesn't have the jets to hustle back on a backcheck like Parise or Madden did to break up a play.

He certainly isn't winning puck battles like Clarkson nor has he been strong on the puck like Jagr.

He has an underrated shot, but doesn't take it.

He isn't really much of a playmaker.

The guy is important to our team, but at his price tag, he really isn't bringing anywhere near what he needs to be.

I like him, and was happy with the signing -but I'm pretty perplexed as to why he is bringing so little to the rink every night.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:00 PM
SteveCangialosi123

It's so sad that we are comparing Lokti and Zajac given their respective contracts. The fact that Lokti is WAY better offensively is also sad(for the franchise's sake).

Old
11-01-2013, 01:01 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Also, just as FMASC follows zone exits and other stats, I'm going to start following who is currently the whipping boy for the Devils, how long it lasts and why.

Zajac - trending down - cant score, won't shoot, not winning enough faceoffs, pretty useless, apparently not good on Defence anymore, no longer has Brian Rolston in front of him to take HFboards heat off of him.

Volchenkov - even - warrior, not messing up as much as usual, stay tuned cause all it will take is one mess up.
again- did you want to list travis' strengths this year? it wont take long

Old
11-01-2013, 01:02 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Again, in his defense (his best defense), is that his defensive resume far outweighs the 12 bad games he has had. So there is room for improvement on both ends. this only becomes a big concern if Travis is staring at his stat sheet come the trade deadline and he's a sub 1:1 defensive player and has less than 12 points.

Until then we should be skeptical, rightfully so, but I'm not prepared to pass judgment on Travis either for the rest of his contract or even the rest of the season. But if you look at him now, I can't imagine how anyone can say that this is normal Travis.

I just don't see it.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Problem is many follow the puck not the play

Old
11-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I don't wanna trade Zid. Even if Gelinas emerges, we still need Zidlicky for a nice 1-2 punch. The More offense from the back end, the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
quite the contrary. what is he doing right now that makes him so special? everyone hoped that last year was a fluke...and nobody here wants to see him fail. but for those years at that price, you gotta do have AT LEAST one area you truly excel in.

we've all been watching the games. we are just able to objectively see zajac as he is currently playing, and not parise's buddy of yesteryear.

youre living in the paaaasst, man

No more creepy clown pics... Agreed?

Personally I knew he was overpaid when he signed that contract so I was never living in the past or seeing him differently. If anything everyone else is living in the past that expects him to be putting up 60-70 points. He isn't playing with allstars, not will he be unless we sign some. He is a key core to our team game anf the entire team had a down start to the first 10 games (as should've been executed from a team with so much turnover).

It's really the constant harping on one player for no reason. Beating a dead horse beating a dead horse beating a dead horse. He's under contract for a while... Shall I expect this until Clowe comes back and doesn't score 25 goals a year?

Old
11-01-2013, 01:06 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Oh yea agreed. Which has always been my defense of Zajac on the main board. A lot of people look at his numbers offensively and fail to appreciate his elite IQ, positioning, defense, possession play, and his proficiency in the circle.

It's very easy to under-appreciate players like Zajac and even Volchenkov, guys who don't show up on the stat sheet but provide something just as (if not more) valuable to a team.

My argument is that Trav hasn't been that guy that I fought for so far this year. And the kind of guy he is and the things he is saying (because he has said all the right things), I feel like he has the tools to rebound. And I'm not one of those guys expecting 60 points. I'm fine with 40 or even 30 if he goes back to being Travis Zajac.

Someone brought up a great point on the backcheck. Travis has been awful there. He was never a speedster but his positioning was always perfect enough to compensate. Now he's constantly trailing. He's made some great plays with his stick (specifically last game) but those are few and far between now. And he's relying on his stick far more than he's relying on his defensive abilities. You can't keep relying on desperation poke checks to bail you out.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:08 PM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
There are plenty of third line and fourth line players who can play well positionally in their own zone. We don't have to be paying a mint for one and playing him on the first line.

I hope he turns it around - but if he isn't punching in 20 goals and 40 assists, I see little way to justify his price tag and spot in the top 6.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
Again, in his defense (his best defense), is that his defensive resume far outweighs the 12 bad games he has had. So there is room for improvement on both ends. this only becomes a big concern if Travis is staring at his stat sheet come the trade deadline and he's a sub 1:1 defensive player and has less than 12 points.

Until then we should be skeptical, rightfully so, but I'm not prepared to pass judgment on Travis either for the rest of his contract or even the rest of the season. But if you look at him now, I can't imagine how anyone can say that this is normal Travis.

I just don't see it.
I think this is a perfectly fair way to look at it. Plenty of reason to be critical right now, but its to early to pass any sort of final judgments on him. The knee jerk reactions and all.

People were ready to blow Henrique and his contract up, but he is bouncing back. Hell we were ready to blow the team up but things are looking brighter now too. Always room for improvement and changes of direction.

I'd start getting really concerned if the overall team play improves, we start going on a winning streak, boon times and all, but Travis is still lagging behind.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
I think this is a perfectly fair way to look at it. Plenty of reason to be critical right now, but its to early to pass any sort of final judgments on him. The knee jerk reactions and all.

People were ready to blow Henrique and his contract up, but he is bouncing back. Hell we were ready to blow the team up but things are looking brighter now too. Always room for improvement and changes of direction.

I'd start getting really concerned if the overall team play improves, we start going on a winning streak, boon times and all, but Travis is still lagging behind.
Henrique is still a puppy though. There are going to be up and downs. Zajac looks like he's in serious decline.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Ripshot 43

Who's ever called him a first line center besides hockey message boards?

I think that's half the problem because half of the people here are putting him at the bottom of top 60 centers in the league list. I think and have always thought that Zajac would be an excellent "2nd line center" on most teams. We can't be expecting big point seasons out of him.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:11 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
It's really the constant harping on one player for no reason. Beating a dead horse beating a dead horse beating a dead horse. He's under contract for a while... Shall I expect this until Clowe comes back and doesn't score 25 goals a year?
Honestly I haven't seen Zajac get much flak if any. It's always met with "we have bigger problems." And I was with that crowd prior to the season. And plus, Zajac didn't deserve any flak and deserved a mulligan because his larger sample of games suggested he was above the level he played.

But now you're starting to see a different player than the one who rightfully deserved no flak. And I think it's fair to criticize him. Heck if MARTY got flak what renders Trav immune to some criticism.

He, more than any other player, seems to be untouchable here.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:11 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
agreed grown men obsessed with clowns on message boards tend to suffer from **** atrophy.

Quote:
It's really the constant harping on one player for no reason. Beating a dead horse beating a dead horse beating a dead horse. He's under contract for a while...
agreed again...but thats par for the course here. so is having a stance and refusing to listen to reason, methinks

Quote:
Shall I expect this until Clowe comes back and doesn't score 25 goals a year?
i'd change that 25 to 17, but yes for better or worse

Old
11-01-2013, 01:13 PM
billingtons ghost

Quote:

Personally I knew he was overpaid when he signed that contract so I was never living in the past or seeing him differently. If anything everyone else is living in the past that expects him to be putting up 60-70 points. He isn't playing with allstars, not will he be unless we sign some. He is a key core to our team game anf the entire team had a down start to the first 10 games (as should've been executed from a team with so much turnover).

yeah, fair enough. I don't like hating on any of our guys.

I think the better question to debate in all of this is the 'why' do guys underperform.

I've mentioned it before, and I'm almost willing to go out on a limb to say that Volch's persistent suckiness since the Florida series through the end of the last year might have been because of his injuries.

He is skating so much more cleanly now. He'll never be confused with Niedermayer but his game has taken a big jump so far.

I'm wondering if Travis still doesn't have faith in his Achilles?

Closed Thread