HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The AAA 2013 Draft

Old
11-12-2013, 10:00 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
I select Jack McDonald, LW, whom I honestly can't believe is still available.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Rob Scuderi

Bob Trapp, D

2x WCHL 1st Team All-Star (1923, 1926)
WCHL 2nd Team All-Star (1922)
WCHL 1st Team Reserve All-Star (1925)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton Journal - 9/25/1925
Bob Trapp, a defence star who would grace any hockey team in the country, east or west, and who was developed in this city, from a very ordinary left wing forward, left the other day en route to Portland, where he will line up this coming winter with Peter Muldoon's newly franchised Rosebuds.

For a couple seasons Trapp, who was used as a sub forward, did not show much, but when he was given a regular berth on defence alongside Joe Simpson, he blossomed into a star almost overnight. A smooth skater and gifted with a fine turn of speed. Trapp developed the hook check to perfection and during the past two or three years has been acknowledged as one of the outstanding defence men in the country. Twenty-six years old, about 5 ft. 10 ins. in height and topping the beam around 165, Trapp is just reaching his best. He should prove a tower of strength to the Rosebuds...

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 11-12-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Budbuster

the barracudas select there #6 d man D Jaro Spacek.

Budbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:07 AM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudsBuster View Post
the barracudas select there #6 d man D Jaro Spacek.
Damn, He was My selection tomorrow.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:13 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Scuderi View Post
Bob Trapp, D

2x WCHL 1st Team All-Star (1923, 1926)
WCHL 2nd Team All-Star (1922)
WCHL 1st Team Reserve All-Star (1925)
His stock fell in my books the last couple of years, but he had risen almost to the top of my list by now. The reason he fell was because one of his three all-star teams was when he was named as a spare. But you have three "legit" ASTs listed plus the one as a spare. I'm confused! Where did you get this?

Old
11-12-2013, 10:15 AM
BubbaBoot

The Boston Cubs select D Don Sweeney.

Had 3 other PMDs I liked but wanted a more stay at home / PK guy. That he was a decent spot/2nd unit PP point man is a plus. Also played the body very well for a small guy....until he shattered his shoulder blade anyways. Unfairly maligned as riding on oft partner Ray Bourque's coat tails, he's a perfect 3rd pairing guy at this level IMO

1115 NHL games
118 NHL playoff games
NCAA champion.
NCAA 1st team all star
International experience.
+112 career
Adjusted points higher than actual point total

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
His stock fell in my books the last couple of years, but he had risen almost to the top of my list by now. The reason he fell was because one of his three all-star teams was when he was named as a spare. But you have three "legit" ASTs listed plus the one as a spare. I'm confused! Where did you get this?
He's listed with these 4 spots in BM67's post in the retroactive thread.

I found a newspaper article for the 1925 reserve nod, but wasn't able to find any others.

If you check Legends of Hockey it lists three all-star spots, but omits the reserve one.
"WCHL Second All-Star Team (1922)
WCHL First All-Star Team (1923)
WHL First All-Star Team (1926)"

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:31 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Scuderi View Post
He's listed with these 4 spots in BM67's post in the retroactive thread.

I found a newspaper article for the 1925 reserve nod, but wasn't able to find any others.

If you check Legends of Hockey it lists three all-star spots, but omits the reserve one.
"WCHL Second All-Star Team (1922)
WCHL First All-Star Team (1923)
WHL First All-Star Team (1926)"
If he's got the same three all-star teams that were always thought, then there was no reason for him to drop.

I asked Iain fyffe about this a week back, and the only one he's definitely sure of is 1926.

Old
11-12-2013, 11:06 AM
tony d
Goofy for Commish

Thought I'd go for a coach today with my Day 19 pick but had a hard time deciding between 4 guys so I'll instead go for a centre here so with our Day 19 pick the Knights select centre Stephane Yelle.

A very smart player Yelle will be an asset to both the Knights and the 4th line, glad to have him.

11-12-2013, 11:51 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Warroad selects, to man the bench, Coach Sid Abel

A 4 time Stanley Cup Finalist as coach, who started his coaching career by taking a historically bad Blackhawks team and turning them into a playoff team in his first year behind the bench, taking the powerhouse Habs to 7 games before losing in the end.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:16 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Thought I'd go for a coach today with my Day 19 pick but had a hard time deciding between 4 guys so I'll instead go for a centre here so with our Day 19 pick the Knights select centre Stephane Yelle.

A very smart player Yelle will be an asset to both the Knights and the 4th line, glad to have him.
Also one of the best faceoff men of his day.

Old
11-12-2013, 12:56 PM
ResilientBeast
MLD Draft Czar

vCash: 50
The Human Beings will select Ivan Hlinka Coach

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:04 PM
seventieslord

And here is why I can’t believe Jack McDonald was still available…

I actually had forgotten to longlist him weeks ago, and had forgotten he was available. Then he turned up in my research and I had to triple check to make sure I wasn’t overlooking something. He’s the best offensive winger from his era taken in a very long time. And further research has shown that although he was quite small, he was not a one-dimensional scorer, either.

The following chart is all the forwards from the NHA/PCHA era who have been selected since Jimmy Gardner at 993, so over 350 picks going back to the middle of the MLD. They are listed with their six best percentage scores attained during their careers. For pre-merger percentage scores I always compare to the #1 scorer in the league, not #2 as is usual for NHL seasons. Also, lots of these players played a handful of seasons in decent, but not top level leagues – OPHL, FAHL, IHL, etc. I made a rule that only one of their seasons in a lower level league could count. (CAHL, ECAHA, ECHA, NHA, NHL and PCHA were counted as top level)

For two of them, because their top level careers were too short I had to use 4-5 seasons from lesser leagues. Their results are for illustrative purposes and are not in any way comparable to the results for other players handled differently.

name Total
Don Smith 100 71 70 62 44 44 391
Jack McDonald 78 66 52 51 50 44 341
Bruce Ridpath 74 74 56 53 50 25 332 career too short, used 4 seasons from inferior leagues
Skene Ronan 94 74 51 44 38 26 327
Charlie Tobin 83 73 48 42 41 37 324
Ran McDonald 64 59 52 51 48 41 315
Jim Riley 88 60 49 48 30 14 289
Skinner Poulin 62 46 33 31 25 18 215
Horace Gaul 63 37 36 26 26 15 203 career too short, used 5 seasons from inferior leagues
Jimmy Gardner 45 42 31 30 28 26 202

Jack McDonald is quite easily the second best scorer on this list based on prime, and I actually think he overtakes Don Smith on the basis of longevity, too. Smith had 224 points in 200 total games in his career (1.12) and McDonald had 271 in 258 (1.05). It’s already arguable that scoring at 94% of Smith’s rate for 29% more games makes his career more impressive.

If you zero in on extended prime a bit more, and remove McDonald’s ECHA season as a 17-year old and his last two NHL years at 34-35 (ages Smith didn’t play at) and also remove Smith’s post-WW1 season (he clearly had nothing left), they have 223 in 188 (1.19) and 270 in 240 (1.13), which would put McDonald at 95% of Smith’s scoring rate but over 28% more games.

However, there’s even more to that. McDonald only played 17 games in a lesser league (1910 OPHL), scoring 31 points, meaning he scored 239 in 223 at the top levels with the cutoffs described above (1.07 per game). Smith’s career totals generously include 56 lesser league games, in which he scored 75 points, leaving him with 148 in 132 top level games (1.12 per game) with the last season cut off.

So with the two separated, it appears McDonald scored just 4% less per game than Smith, but over 69% more games (think Ivan Boldirev vs. Tim Young), and in the lesser leagues he was more prolific as well (in a smaller sample). It’s just that a larger percentage of Smith’s games were played in lower leagues, boosting his totals. I’d select McDonald over anyone on this list, except maybe Charles Tobin, whose stats are greatly impacted by time spent as a defenseman. (I also realize the bottom three are being drafted for more intangible reasons)

No wonder it took so long for me to think that a pre-1916 player was the BPA!

Last edited by seventieslord: 11-12-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old
11-12-2013, 05:28 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Rebels select Dave Hunter, the hard-nosed role-playing left winger who was drafted mid-first round after being voted strongest player and best defensive forward in Ontario juniors, according to a coaches poll in 1978. He was a Habs pick but he jumped to the more lucrative WHA with Edmonton and when the Oilers joined the NHL he scored in his first game, going on to be double digits in goals and in assists for seven consecutive NHL seasons, recording assists on shorthanded goals as well for seven years. He scored 5 goals and 10 points in the Oilers first Stanley Cup championship postseason, 4th among team wingers, and he would win two more cups in Edmonton and score 40 career playoff points in 105 postseason games. He was an impact Bottom-6 forward with a boatload of intangibles. A Hunter like a Sutter was a valuable commodity. Dave was known for relatively low penalty totals despite his high level of nasty play. He was hard working, responsible and determined to win. He was effective at checking and was even known to shutdown an opposing forward star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatest Hockey Legends"
... a role player par excellence. In fact, if you were to look up the term 3rd or 4th line role player in a hockey dictionary - it would say See Dave Hunter. Dave - in typical Hunter fashion, was a mean, extremely physical and effective player along the boards, wearing down the opposition with tenacious forechecking and physical contact. Yet despite his aggressiveness, Hunter usually part had small PIM totals. That shows his true value as a smart and controlled energy player. He was particularly effective on the road.

Though not a graceful player in the finesse sense, Dave combined decent skating speed and good balance with excellent vision and anticipation to make him one of the top defensive forwards of the 1980s. One of the biggest reasons for his defensive excellence is he was such a good positional player.

An original draft pick of the Montreal Canadiens (17th overall in 1978), Hunter actually signed as an underage junior with Edmonton when the Oilers were still in the WHA. In 1979 the Oilers joined the NHL and obtained Hunter's NHL rights in the Expansion Draft.

Hunter might have made the Habs regret letting him go. In the post season of 1981, the young Oilers served notice that they had arrived when they upset the heavily favored and legendary Montreal Canadiens. Hunter was assigned to cover Montreal's top offensive weapon Guy Lafleur, and he did a masterful job. The Flower picked up only a lonely assist in that series.

Hunter enjoyed 8 1/2 seasons in the City of Champions where he was a quiet though nice piece of the Gretzky-led dynasty. Hunter was a consistent 35-40 points a season but his true worth was his defensive contributions on a team not known for playing defense.

In all, Dave Hunter scored 133 goals and 190 assists for 323 points in 746 NHL games. The oldest of the three Hunter brothers to play in the NHL, Dave probably had the least offensive talents in the family but Dave ended up with three Stanley Cup rings compared to Mark's one and Dale's none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends
... his strong two-way play... In his final year of junior, he scored 44 goals and 88 points in 68 games with the Wolves. He also had 156 minutes in penalties, proving he could handle the tough stuff as well.

By 1978-79, Hunter was set to turn pro but opted to join the Edmonton Oilers of the WHA, feeling he would have a better chance at cracking their lineup as a 20-year-old rookie. He played 72 games with the Oilers that year, scoring 32 points. With the folding of the WHA at the end of the season, Edmonton and three other clubs were absorbed into the NHL, and Hunter continued playing for the Oilers. In his first year in the NHL, he played in all 80 games, scoring 12 goals and 43 points. Hunter spent close to nine seasons with the Oilers in the NHL and was a member of three Stanley Cup championship teams, in 1984, 1985, and 1987.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI, Dec 10th, 1984
Elbow to the chops. Slash to the ankle. Good hard check into the end boards. It's tough to administer pain gracefully. "There isn't one of them who wouldn't make a good Bruin," says Boston general manager Harry Sinden. "The type of guys you hate when they're against you, but you love to have on your own team. Dale's always spearing guys in the back of the legs or whacking them all the way down the ice. He's pretty cute."

If you think Dale's cute, wait till you hear about his cuddly brother Dave. "One night against Chicago, Dave knocked Denis Savard out of the game with a hit," says Oiler coach and general manager Glen Sather with relish. "Was it clean? Sure. An elbow to the face. There's nothing clean about Dave. He's a farm boy. They're all farm boys, the Hunters. Crude and mean."

Last edited by VanIslander: 11-12-2013 at 06:00 PM.
VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Rebels select Dave Hunter, the hard-nosed role-playing left winger who was drafted mid-first round after being voted strongest player and best defensive forward in Ontario juniors, according to a coaches poll in 1978. He was a Habs pick but he jumped to the more lucrative WHA with Edmonton and when the Oilers joined the NHL he scored in his first game, going on to be double digits in goals and in assists for seven consecutive NHL seasons, recording assists on shorthanded goals as well for seven years. He scored 5 goals and 10 points in the Oilers first Stanley Cup championship postseason, 4th among team wingers, and he would win two more cups in Edmonton and score 40 career playoff points in 105 postseason games. He was an impact Bottom-6 forward with a boatload of intangibles. A Hunter like a Sutter was a valuable commodity. Dave was known for relatively low penalty totals despite his high level of nasty play. He was hard working, responsible and determined to win. He was effective at checking and was even known to shutdown an opposing forward star.

Never been a fan of glorifying dirty play and make dirty players look like heroes.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:54 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Never been a fan of glorifying dirty play and make dirty players look like heroes.
The Sutters, Hunters, Messiers, Tikkanens and the like, not to mention a dozen fan favorite Bruins, are competitors whose agitating, pesty, disruptive tactics have helped win many a game, and are considered heroes by their team, not the opposition. Dave Hunter wasn't some fourth line goon, he was an effective checker and third liner who threw plenty of clean hits, and really has relatively low PIMs compared to many who have been drafted with double his totals.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 08:42 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
The Sutters, Hunters, Messiers, Tikkanens and the like, not to mention a dozen fan favorite Bruins, are competitors whose agitating, pesty, disruptive tactics have helped win many a game, and are considered heroes by their team, not the opposition. Dave Hunter wasn't some fourth line goon, he was an effective checker and third liner who threw plenty of clean hits, and really has relatively low PIMs compared to many who have been drafted with double his totals.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1986-87
Unlike his brothers, Dave hits hard but is relatively clean, not often being penalized for elbows or high sticks.

Old
11-12-2013, 08:53 PM
seventieslord

Thanks for keeping the draft list updated efficiently, VI.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:00 AM
seventieslord

Art Moore, D

- Size unknown (appears close to same size as Harvey Pulford)
- Stanley Cup (1903, 1904, 1905, 1906)
- Scored Stanley Cup Winning Goal (1904)
- FAHL First All-star team (1905)
- Served as Ottawa Silver Seven captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette – January 19th, 1903
Arthur Moore and Harvey Pulford on the defense simply refused to allow the Montreal anyways near Bouse Hutton. They bodychecked hard, and after the first few minutes Dickie Boon’s forwards were content to shoot at long range. Both lifted well too and kept their forwards well fed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Gazette, March 11, 1903
Soon after the start of the second half, Fairbanks made a run and indulged in a little Greco-Roman with Moore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win, Tie Or Wrangle (regarding 1903 cup challenge)
the Vics showed some jump at the start of the second half, but , unable to penetrate the defence put up by Pulford and Moore, soon became disspirited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trail of the Stanley Cup; Vol. 1 – 1904 Stanley Cup Challenges
Ottawa entered the game against Wanderers at Montreal without the services of their star defence men Moore and Pulford, out with injuries. Jim McGee and Alf Smith took their positions and did a good job. (Smith scored a goal)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trail of the Stanley Cup – 1904 Stanley Cup Challenge
The Cup holders played hard but clean hockey and backed by the stalwart defence work of Moore and Pulford who featured with splendid lifting, they beat Winnipeg 2-0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette – February 15th, 1905
Perhaps the defense of the Ottawa Stanley Cup holders is the best on the ice today, and the men in front of the goalkeeper are ; Pulford, point, and Moore, cover-point. Both strapping big men, they do not use boarding school methods to handle the enemy as it sweeps upon them… Moore can also accomplish a little body-checking on occasion. He, too, is no gentle lamb, and many a forward can show black and blue marks decorating his anatomy to prove it. But they both played fine hockey, lifting the puck well, and are effective working at all times. A formidable pair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette – April 14th, 1934
The practice of choosing all-star teams in major hockey is not a modern development. The practice dates back as early as 1905 when The Toronto News gathered a consensus among sports followers and hockey writers and published the first all-star team of record.
….
Herewith is listed the first all-star team in major hockey, drawn from the players of the Eastern Canada Hockey Association which, though an amateur league, was the major loop of the era. It is listed as follows:
Goal: Paddy Moran, Quebec Bulldogs
Point: Harvey Pulford, Ottawa
Cover point: Art Moore, Ottawa
Rover: Russell Bowie. Victorias
Centre: Frank McGee, Ottawa
Left wing: Blair Russell, Victorias
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Regina Standard – March 14th, 1906
Arthur Moore is this year playing point for the team and doing better work than he formerly performed at cover. Cool, accurate lifting is his forte, but Moore is likewise a very dangerous man for opposing forwards to cope with. He is probably the fastest man with the Rough Riders and a few year ago was a defense player for the Capitals lacrosse team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Gazette, March 19, 1906
The defense was reliable; Pulford and Moore performed many feats
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stanley Cup (1906)
Arthur Moore went goalless in ten games but was named team captain ahead of such likely candidates as Pulford and Smith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Citizen – January 10th, 1907
Much regret has been expressed for Arthur Moore personally for serlous accident, while the effect of his absence on the team’s chances is forming of much anxiety among the fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada.com
Mr. Moore was a defenseman, before that word was even coined. He is described as tough, "stay-at-home”, a husky presence in his own end who could deliver punishing checks.

Here is a memorable impression from an opposing player, as recounted by Jim McAuley in The Ottawa Sports Book. "The Ottawa defence didn't care whether or not a goal was scored; they just walloped to teach you better manners during the next attack."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Of the Stanley Cup Harvey Pulford Bio
He was a great leader and during the years when the team was known as the Silver Seven, he was the captain. He was very hurt when Art Moore replaced him at this post in 1906.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey Harvey Pulford Bio
His partnership with Art Moore proved to be a formidable barrier to onrushing forwards. This team dominated the Canadian Amateur Hockey League and the Federal Amateur Hockey League while winning or defending the Stanley Cup several times between 1903 and 1905.

Old
seventieslord

Earl Robertson, G

- 5'10", 165 lbs
- Stanley Cup (1937)
- NHL 2nd All-Star Team (1939)
- NHL "3rd" All-Star Team (1940)
- Top-5 in Hart Voting Twice (4th, 5th)
- Sterling 1.75 playoff GAA
- Played 337 other Senior level games
- Career ended due to WW2 shortly after NHL demotion (which followed two seasons in which he slowly lost his job to the younger HHOFer Chuck Rayner, whose GAA was just 8% better)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loh.net
From 1934 to 1936, he played for the Windsor Bulldogs of the IAHL and seemed to only get better with experience. The Detroit Red Wings took notice of the goaltender's skills and purchased his rights from the Bulldogs. The Wings' brass tucked Robertson away with their minor-league affiliate in Pittsburgh for the start of the 1936-37 campaign. He put in a solid season and was rewarded with a shot in Detroit at the start of the playoffs. (editor's note, incorrect) It must have been quite breathtaking for the netminder to progress from the Hollywood Stars to the Wings, play only six games with a stingy 1.41 goals-against average, and claim a Stanley Cup victory. It would never be any better for the aged rookie goalie.

But in spite of his success, Roberston was traded to the New York Americans shortly after the confetti from the victory parade had been swept up. The Amerks were a club that had their bright moments, but couldn't seem to get on track to win a championship. During his four seasons with the club, the Americans' fortunes only seemed to sag with time. By 1940-41, Robertson finished the season with a 6-22-8 record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide Of Everyone Who Has Ever Played in the NHL
Long before Ken Dryden came in and stole the cup for Montreal in 1971, Earl Robertson was putting on a great pinch-hitting show of his own in goal. He had been playing pro for a number of years and had worked his way into Detroit's system. In the 1937 playoffs, he was called in to replace an injured Normie Smith and promptly took the Wings past Montreal and the Rangers to win the cup. He was then traded to the Americans, who were looking to fill the void left by Roy Worters, and Robertson came in and did it again. He was their starter for four and a half years and performed incredibly well for a weak team, but in 1942 he went off to war. He served with the 19th Alberta Dragoons, and when he came out his career was over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
Earl Robertson was the unlikely hero of the 1937 Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup championship squad. Robertson, a 10 year minor leaguer, was called up to replace the Wings' starting goalie Normie Smith. Smith injured his elbow in round one against Montreal. It swelled up so much that he could not play against the New York Rangers in the finals. In total Detroit was missing five regulars for the finals.

For Robertson it was his first taste of NHL action. Imagine that! It is your first game and you are in net for game one of the Stanley Cup finals! Talk about pressure! But Robertson performed miraculously in leading the Wings to the Cup. He led Detroit to a three games to two victory. In the final two games he recorded consecutive shutouts!

After adding a Stanley Cup ring to his resume, Robertson was all but assured of NHL employment the following season. However the Wings decided to stay with Smith and traded Robertson to the New York Americans for Red Doran and cash. It was a good move for Robertson. He was the team's undisputed number one goalie for the next three years, posting 51 wins and 15 shutouts while missing only 2 games. He was even named to the NHL second all star team in 1939.

However Robertson's fine play could only carry the financially troubled Americans so far. The team in front of him was one of the weakest in the league, and by 1940 it really showed in the standings. The team went 15-29-4 and missed the playoffs. That was the beginning of the end for Robertson.

The Americans had a hot young prospect waiting for a chance to play in the net. That prospect was future Hall of Famer Chuck Rayner.

Rayner and Robertson battled it out for the starting job for the Americans, with Robertson playing 36 of 48 games in 1940-41. Rayner played the remaining 12 games but also was fine tuning his game in the minor leagues. By 1941-42, the tables were turned. Rayner played in 36 games while Robertson played in just 12, and played most of the season in the minor leagues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary daily Herald, April 9, 1937
… Smith's place was taken by pinch hitter Earl Robertson, who put up a great display.…
Quote:
Originally Posted by The leader Post, April 16, 1937
BARRY EMERGES AS HERO OF SERIES, BUT EARL ROBERTSON WAS NOT FAR BEHIND - ... Robertson let in a few goals but he made more sensational saves than anybody ever figured he would… Earl Robertson, the rookie goalie, scored two shutouts in succession and he emerges as a series hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskatoon star Phoenix, May 14, 1937
Earl Robertson, hero of hockey's 1937 Stanley Cup series, did not get a cut Detroit Red Wings series money, manager Jack Adams announced today, but the goalie who replaced injured nor B Smith in the nets to help the wings right hockey history was well taken care of. James Norris Senior, owner of the club that twice won the cup in successive years, insisted on looking after Robertson personally, Adams said. He gave him a check for $600.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Gazette, November 4, 1937
… Earl Robinson, sensational rookie goalie…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewiston daily Sun, November 5, 1937
probably the most expensive of the American purchases was that of Earl Robertson, Detroit's spare goalie who was the hero of the Stanley Cup playoffs last March
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Gazette, December 29, 1937
… No, Smith is not entirely blameless, by any means. But his record reflects the weakness of the team as a whole.… Maybe, the wings, as a team, are going better now as Detroit reports indicate, and it is Smith who is leading them down.… This discussion raises another point that probably won't be overlooked by Detroit critics: the fact that Adams let Earl Robertson get away from him, after Robertson had starred for him in an emergency rule in the playoffs. Adams sold to the Americans, and prior to last night games Robertson's record was 30 goals-against as compared to Smith's 54.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary daily Herald, January 5, 1938
… You could almost put Earl Robinson, Americans goalie, one of the best in the league this season, in that class. In the middle of last season, Earl was spare goalie for Detroit and when Roy Worters was hurt, manager Jack Adams offered Robinson to Dutton for $1500. Red claims he thought highly of Earl then but his team was shot with injuries and sickness with no chance of getting in the playoffs and he didn't want to put Earl in there without reasonable protection. He thought he would be able to buy him at the end of the season for the same price but Earl got his chance in the Stanley Cup playoffs when Norm Smith, regular Detroit goalie, was injured, and he played sensational hockey for the Red Wings. When Dutton offered manager Jack Adams $1500 for Robinson at the end of the season, the Detroit manager shook his head. He said Robertson was worth $16,000 then and the Americans paid it. Likely Adams is sorry he sold Earl at any price for his team has been doing anything but when hockey games this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader Post, February 21, 1938
Toronto Maple Leafs shutout Saturday night for the first time in the NHL season. Earl Robertson, Regina goalie with New York Americans, did it four – zero in such spectacular fashion the 12,800 fans were cheering as much for him as for the leafs in the late stages of the game...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary daily Herald, April 9, 1938
Schriner, who finished seventh among the NHL scorers this season said that Earl Robertson, the club's goalie, was the outstanding player this season. "When the going is toughest, he kept us in there by his sensational netminder," said Schriner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the telegraph, February 20, 1939.
… Earl Robertson, rated one of the three or four best goalies in the league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary daily Herald, February 13, 1939
… The third-place American scored a one to nothing victory over Detroit Red Wings at New York last night… Americans, recovering from a brief slump, were outplayed much of the way in the dull New York tilt, but goalie Earl Robertson threw back the best of the Red Wings threats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evening Independent, March 23, 1939
… The Americans, who have lost confidence since an injury cost of the services of regular goalie Earl Robertson…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewiston daily Sun, December 4, 1939
Only Earl Robertson's goaltending prevented Boston from running the total to double figures as the Americans, playing their second game in as many nights, faded.…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Herald, December 5, 1939
agile Earl Robertson, mainstay of the New York Americans and more than a few of their games, slides out in front of his goal to thwart scoring attempts by Toronto Maple Leafs during the game in which the American scored their first win of the season by a two to one count over the leafs in New York – and mainly because of the same Earl Robertson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newark Sunday call, March 10, 1940
the veteran Earl Robertson turned in one of the greatest goaltending exhibitions of the season last night when his New York American forces dented the Boston Bruins NHL championship hopes by subjecting them to a 4 to 2 drubbing at the Boston Garden. The Bruins, who lead the hard pressing Rangers by only a point, were in dire need of a 13th consecutive victory over the Americans, but Robertson cheated them in such spectacular fashion that the crowd of 11,172 roared a mighty ovation.

... Robertson kicked out at least a dozen of earned goals as he stopped the amazingly high total of 50 shots during the 60 min. of furious play. He stopped 23 shots before little Bobby Bauer drove the first goal through him in the second period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Herald, March 20, 1940
only the brilliant work of Earl Robertson kept the Americans in the game throughout the third.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton Journal, January 30, 1941
… That is no definite suggestion that Rayner may become puck dropped from combating the well-known inadequacies of the Americans defense. You remember the sensation Earl Robertson was when he started with Americans? Mr. Robertson now is with Springfield. And he was a great goalkeeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Herald, February 18, 1941
Earl Robertson isn't a fellow to sulk when demoted. He's just plugging along, hoping that soon he will again be back in the big time. Three weeks ago, "Robbie," who staved off many a defeat for New York Americans, was told by manager red Dutton he was being shipped to the minors… It was a bitter pill to swallow for one with 12 years service in Pro hockey, for Robbie, perhaps more than any other member of the team, had been responsible for the Americans making the playoffs the last three years. But he took it without protest... This season was his worst with the Americans, when with poor defense protection he let through 105 goals in 29 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskatoon star Phoenix, July 29, 1942 Earl Robertson may be through with professional hockey. [B
The great net man who grew old inside from doing all the goalkeeping, bodychecking, passing and back checking for Brooklyn Americans[/B], has a more job in Edmonton and it will be hard to pry him loose…

Old
BubbaBoot

The Boston Cubs select GK Roman Turek to share duties with Eddie Johnston.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:08 AM
tony d
Goofy for Commish

1 day later and my 4 choices for coach are still available but I go with my top choice for coach all along and that is Head Coach Bob Hartley

Hartley is the only coach to ever lead the Thrashers/Jets to the playoffs and he also led the Colorado Avalanche to 4 straight West final berths.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:15 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

I'll take a goalie that has what I'm not sure any other goalie does at this point..not only does he have a Vezina, but is one of six goalies (Hasek, Worters, Rayner, Rollins, Plante being other five) to win the Hart Trophy as League MVP. In addition, he has three seasons where he has been top-10 in save percentage. While he has had a couple rough years in-between a lot of great ones, I'm not sure there is any goalie remaining with a better peak.

The Belleville McFarlands select Jose Theodore (G)

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:15 AM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
I'll take a goalie that has what I'm not sure any other goalie does at this point..not only does he have a Vezina, but is one of six goalies (Hasek, Worters, Rayner, Rollins, Plante being other five) to win the Hart Trophy as League MVP. In addition, he has three seasons where he has been top-10 in save percentage. While he has had a couple rough years in-between a lot of great ones, I'm not sure there is any goalie remaining with a better peak.

The Belleville McFarlands select Jose Theodore (G)
He was taken already in day 14.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:19 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

We need to work on our spelling lol.

Can really throw off the ctrl/f

That's fine though. I'll instead go with Tommy Salo. He often gets overlooked due to that infamous Olympic goal versus Belarus. However, he carved out a very solid career that includes facing a lot of shots playing for mediocre teams, and posting still very respectable and consistent numbers. He also has a very solid international resume despite that goal.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote