John Scott Suspended 7 Games

Old
10-31-2013, 03:02 PM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
We are watching different games perhaps? Last season, Lucic ran over Miller, then proceeded to pound Gaustad in the "retribution match". Kaleta has been repeatedly been smacked around by the Bruins. The Bruins literally dominated Buffalo physically.

Since the Scott acquisition & beat down of Thornton, the Sabres skate with a lil more wind in their sails, puffy chested. The games I've seen, I notice liberties being taken at the B's players almost every game between the two teams. Scott's blatant headshot was just the latest example. Let's just say it was PK Subban who ran around throwing elbows freely at Bruins players, what would the team's reaction be? Brawl time. So whyis Scott treated differently? IIRC he's thrown a few elbows at Paille and others (Seidenberg maybe?) last season & this.

Bruins are intimidated by Scott, no doubt about it. Some fans are ok with it, and just want the "PP & 2 points". I 'd like to watch Scott get pounded, AND the Bruins still get 2 points. Why are some assuming if a goon is on the Merlot line vs. Sabres that it will cost the Bruins 2 points? Will sitting Thornton for a game = automatic loss?
Proof is in the pudding..there is no way to deny this any longer...

That being said, God do the Sabres suck.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:06 PM
CDJ*

They are a ****ing terrible team and a terrible organization who employ ******** players like Kaleta, Ott, and Scott. Ott is the ****ing captain for christ sakes.

I hope Scott is suspended the next time we play them. Let's see how tough some of the fake tough guys are on that team. (Scott may be one of them, terribly unimpressive fight card for a man of his alleged fighting prowess)

CDJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
I want somebody that can beat him, McQuaid realized that he was going to get killed and pulled Scott down. I don't blame McQuaid, he was miles out of his weight class with Scott. Which means they need to get somebody who isn't miles out of his weight class.

I've also seen the argument by the Swedish hockey fans on here that we can't get a pure goon because of cap issues. Really? Give me a break, a guy getting league minimum that you can send up and down to Providence (which I'm sure you must all be on board with because to you all he has such little value) is going to become a cap issue. If that is the case Chirallei has done a very bad job of cap management, which he hasn't, it's just another lame excuse from the "I want ice capades" crowd to not fight fire with fire.
Sounds so simple the way you lay it out. If only.......

You may want to read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap

Waivers, roster limits, contract limits, etc.

The reality is it's not even as remotely easy as you suggest.

Did you not see the hoops that Boston (and lots of other teams) had to go through on the first day of the regular season?

The moment the Bruins are forced to put promising young player on waivers and lose him, the cries of "poor asset management" will come ringing in. The answer "but we need someone to put up against Scott" won't fly either.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
True, the hit stat is subjective, but that's not even it's fatal flaw. The real problem is that it's like tackles in football. If you are hitting (or tackling) it means the other team has had the puck (or ball) more often than you. The Bruins dominated the Sabres where it counts. Let the Sabres rack up meaningless "hit" numbers while you endlessly cycle the puck in their zone.
yes doc i understand that completely. However, if you or anyone else can point me to a site that breaks down team hit stats i will gladly do the legwork. And here is what i would like to see: Bruins average hits per game, on the road, vs non playoff teams from last year, compared to Bruins average hits in Buffalo last year after Scott incident. there were 3 games there last year. That would be the closest apples to apples comparison that i can come up with.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:24 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
They are a ****ing terrible team and a terrible organization who employ ******** players like Kaleta, Ott, and Scott. Ott is the ****ing captain for christ sakes.

I hope Scott is suspended the next time we play them. Let's see how tough some of the fake tough guys are on that team. (Scott may be one of them, terribly unimpressive fight card for a man of his alleged fighting prowess)

Here is the elephant in the room, in my opinion.

Does Chara fight Scott in the next game?

I'm not saying he should BTW, but here is my rationale for the possibility of it happening.

Thornton could take on Scott and hold his own and do the dirty work for the team, thus keeping Scott at bay, but as tough as he is, primarily due to his height and lack of reach, he is unlikely to take a clear decision.

McQuaid because of his size/length/reach could take him on and possibly fare better than Thornton. (Still wish he pounded Scott when he had him on the ice in a helpless position, like Scott took advantage of Ericsson, in a similar vulnerable state).

But Chara is the X factor here. He is one of the few men in the league, and the only one on the team that could take a clear decision over Scott and end the fight with him a bloody mess. Ference once said that Chara has rarely fought and truly gave it his all. Most of the time he has eased up during hiss fights.

What if he didn't ease up and truly tried to take Scott out if he had the chance?

Would he? Should he?

Of course, I'm not ignoring the possibility that Scott beats Chara.

What I'm wondering is whether or not it is worth it for Chara to try to get retribution for the hit and the Sabres overall act.

Another option is for Chara to just tune up Kaleta or Ott and take whatever punishment comes his way.

Last edited by sarge88: 10-31-2013 at 03:31 PM.
sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:30 PM
qc

vCash: 2000
If Chara and Scott tango, I see it going like this..

-Chara swings
-Scott swings
-Both fall down simultaneously
...done in 5 seconds, with little proven.

Sure, Z at least answers Scott, but then we get to see him in the box for 5 minutes. I'd have no problem if Chara obliges, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:30 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Congressional inquries take longer than suspension hearings these days.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:34 PM
qc

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Congressional inquries take longer than suspension hearings these days.
Scott must've had a twinkie on the day of the offense.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:38 PM
TCL40

I am curious what is taking so long. Not sure if this is a good omen or bad one.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:48 PM
nycpunk1

I am not particularly worried about getting payback on Scott. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't see him as the villain people make him out to be. He's a big lug who effed up. One hit doesn't make him Raffi Torres. He's also a guy who basically fights for a living. Somehow, THIS fight is going to change his skating game?

My perfect payback? A big, bone-shattering open ice hit by either Lucic or Boychuck that Shanahan can add to his "Good, clean hit" reels. I really want to hear Jack call that one.

Follow it up with Thornton or McQuaid pounding Kaleta into the ice. Not for anything in particular, just cause he's Kaleta and passing up the opportunity seems wasteful.

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:54 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Sounds so simple the way you lay it out. If only.......

You may want to read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap

Waivers, roster limits, contract limits, etc.

The reality is it's not even as remotely easy as you suggest.

Did you not see the hoops that Boston (and lots of other teams) had to go through on the first day of the regular season?

The moment the Bruins are forced to put promising young player on waivers and lose him, the cries of "poor asset management" will come ringing in. The answer "but we need someone to put up against Scott" won't fly either.
Exactly. You can't send a player up and down to the AHL like a yo-yo. That's why waivers were instituted.

As for the Bruins getting someone big and strong enough to fight Scott, I'll ask two questions:

1. Who?

2. Who do you put on waivers to fit him on the roster?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:58 PM
ytownhockey10
tornado of souls

it's hard to believe that nothing of this has been leaked yet...

ytownhockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytownhockey10 View Post
it's hard to believe that nothing of this has been leaked yet...
Once they make the ruling, the NHL just announces it. Any kind of leak wouldn't be much quicker than the official announcement.

Old
10-31-2013, 04:15 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Here is the elephant in the room, in my opinion.

Does Chara fight Scott in the next game?

I'm not saying he should BTW, but here is my rationale for the possibility of it happening.

Thornton could take on Scott and hold his own and do the dirty work for the team, thus keeping Scott at bay, but as tough as he is, primarily due to his height and lack of reach, he is unlikely to take a clear decision.

McQuaid because of his size/length/reach could take him on and possibly fare better than Thornton. (Still wish he pounded Scott when he had him on the ice in a helpless position, like Scott took advantage of Ericsson, in a similar vulnerable state).

But Chara is the X factor here. He is one of the few men in the league, and the only one on the team that could take a clear decision over Scott and end the fight with him a bloody mess. Ference once said that Chara has rarely fought and truly gave it his all. Most of the time he has eased up during hiss fights.

What if he didn't ease up and truly tried to take Scott out if he had the chance?

Would he? Should he?

Of course, I'm not ignoring the possibility that Scott beats Chara.

What I'm wondering is whether or not it is worth it for Chara to try to get retribution for the hit and the Sabres overall act.

Another option is for Chara to just tune up Kaleta or Ott and take whatever punishment comes his way.
I think Scott may be able to tune Chara up due to his horrible balance during fights but you never know.... I do think Lucic could take Scott.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:18 PM
ytownhockey10
tornado of souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC8 View Post
I think Scott may be able to tune Chara up due to his horrible balance during fights but you never know.... I do think Lucic could take Scott.

i think this is the fight that has to happen - and maybe should have before thorny stepped in. i'd certainly put a few down on looch.

Old
10-31-2013, 04:26 PM
JMiller

No way anyone but Thornton should have to even look at Scott. He's a total sideshow.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:31 PM
DoubleAAAA

Time to get Oglethorpe.

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:34 PM
BaBaBruins
Tuukka Time.

Meh....I don't even think Scott is worth wasting good punches on....it is much more satisfying to beat them down with grit & skill all game long each time they meet this year.

BaBaBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Bruinsforlife89

He's been suspended 7 games
Shanahan just put out a video.

Bruinsforlife89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
Game Center app tells me a seven-game suspension for Scott.

@NHLPlayerSafety: John Scott suspension video. http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...473124&lang=en

Last edited by Son of Marshmont: 10-31-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Corrected video link
Son of Marshmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
Time to get Oglethorpe.
He's been deported.

Old
10-31-2013, 04:51 PM
EverettMike

7 games.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:55 PM
ytownhockey10
tornado of souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
7 games.
retroactive to the hit, no?

tonight's buffalo's 4th since he was suspended.

Old
10-31-2013, 04:59 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytownhockey10 View Post
retroactive to the hit, no?

tonight's buffalo's 4th since he was suspended.
Yup. Tonight is game 4 of his suspension.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:01 PM
DoubleAAAA

How will they survive without him?

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote