HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Scott Suspended 7 Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-31-2013, 09:42 PM
  #176
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 6,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
I'm sorry but Chara can't fight. Koci already had that cut from a prior fight a few days earlier. Chara just reopened it. Please do not use that one fight or the rag dolling of Bryan McCabe as justification that Chara can fight.

Yes he's big and strong. But he has no balance and he really can't throw a punch.

There is only ONE guy on this Bruin's team that would have a chance against John Scott in a fight and that is Milan Lucic. And the way Lucic has been fighting lately with no defense and going balls out unprotected, I don't like his chances. I fear it would be the same result as when Lucic fought Colton Orr. You CANNOT fight the top heavyweights in the league by putting your head down and trading bombs. Not when they have the reach on you and a 20-60lb weight advantage. I don't care if you were an amateur boxer or not. You will get lit up, knocked out or end up with a broken face fighting them like that.

I'd rather not see Lucic get injured in a fight against the worst player in the league.
Scott isn't a good fighter either, he has no technique, relies on reach. When has Scott fought somebody his height?

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:00 AM
  #177
Cid
Registered User
 
Cid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Scott isn't a good fighter either, he has no technique, relies on reach. When has Scott fought somebody his height?
There is noone his height or weight to fight.

The guy has reach on everyone and he has one punch knockout power as Shawn Thornton found out.

I think relying on his reach is the perfect technique for him to be honest.

I really see no reason to send Lucic or Chara after him. McQuaid did the job on that play. He's suspended. Buffalo sucks. John Scott sucks. It's over.

Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:09 AM
  #178
Baddkarma
Registered User
 
Baddkarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Midland TX
Country: United States
Posts: 3,059
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
I had no doubt it would be a small suspension with regard to the amount of damage he did to Eriksson. How in the hell does the NHL keep a straight face and hand out this discipline.

I swear when Marchand or Lucic gets a 5 min major for boarding and dude doesn't miss a shift and Shana-joke gives them 5 games for "being a repeat offender" I will go ape ****!

NHL hates the Bruins!

Savard career ended - nothing
Eriksson on shelf for a month - 7 games to a GOON!
Hell, Neely Hall of Fame career cut way short - Fraser is now the "go to guy" on TSN for ask the ref! WTF!

I dont drink, Im gonna go start...

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:15 AM
  #179
Baddkarma
Registered User
 
Baddkarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Midland TX
Country: United States
Posts: 3,059
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
I'm sorry but Chara can't fight. Koci already had that cut from a prior fight a few days earlier. Chara just reopened it. Please do not use that one fight or the rag dolling of Bryan McCabe as justification that Chara can fight.
??? What ???

Chara obliterated his nose, disintegrated it. Koci hit Chara on the button as well and they both buckled their knees. Koci is one of the only who waned to trade with him and he payed a terrible price.

I dont want Chara to spend one second breaking his hand on Scott's head. Make the Sabres skill guys pay the price. Hit every thing that moves and if they are skill guy hit hard and often. If they say one word, drop them where they stand...

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 02:37 AM
  #180
Bridges31
Goon? Lol
 
Bridges31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 11,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
Nope - he gets credit for those 3 games so he only has 3 more games to go after tonight. He'll be back playing his much valued 4 minutes a games with Buffalo before we see Eriksson back playing for Boston.
What? **** that's stupid.

If the NHL won't do anything to punish goons/head shots, then it's time for the teams to embrace it and dish out their own punishments. It's a shame, and not the way the game should be played, but there's no other option.

I laugh every time I hear a commentator say that players don't respect each other anymore. It's not a lack of respect among players, it's the fact that there's no consequences in this league for dirty hits.

Bridges31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 07:45 AM
  #181
Fenian24
Registered User
 
Fenian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Sounds so simple the way you lay it out. If only.......

You may want to read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap

Waivers, roster limits, contract limits, etc.

The reality is it's not even as remotely easy as you suggest.

Did you not see the hoops that Boston (and lots of other teams) had to go through on the first day of the regular season?

The moment the Bruins are forced to put promising young player on waivers and lose him, the cries of "poor asset management" will come ringing in. The answer "but we need someone to put up against Scott" won't fly either.
Currently the Bruins have an open roster spot and cap space, plenty of room for a Steve MacIntyre type player, actually plenty of room for Steve MacIntyre.

Keep turning the other cheek the Sabres will keep right on punching it

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 07:54 AM
  #182
Fenian24
Registered User
 
Fenian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBruins View Post
Meh....I don't even think Scott is worth wasting good punches on....it is much more satisfying to beat them down with grit & skill all game long each time they meet this year.
That's a great idea, a team that looks like the 1975 Washington Capitals are pushing you all around the ice physically and have a guy that has intimidated you for over a season now and your answer is take the power play and turn and run.

Excellent plan, maybe when Kaleta takes out Bergeron next we can have a pool on how many games his suspension will be, but we will get those vital two points against a bad team because we will have a five minute power play for a meaningless regular season game, we just won't have Bergeron or whomever cause they will be out with a concussion.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:43 AM
  #183
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
That's a great idea, a team that looks like the 1975 Washington Capitals are pushing you all around the ice physically and have a guy that has intimidated you for over a season now and your answer is take the power play and turn and run.

Excellent plan, maybe when Kaleta takes out Bergeron next we can have a pool on how many games his suspension will be, but we will get those vital two points against a bad team because we will have a five minute power play for a meaningless regular season game, we just won't have Bergeron or whomever cause they will be out with a concussion.
Intimidated

Needed that laugh

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:53 AM
  #184
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co
 
Dom - OHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stratford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Intimidated

Needed that laugh
I've only been a little sarcastic with NHL Player Safety on twitter. Still, I just don't know why they aren't replying to me.

Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano 15h
I know @NHLPlayerSafety called the Scott suspension a 7 game suspension. Would have been better to call it a 35 minute suspension.

Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano 1h
Re John Scott suspension: he misses as much ice time as I or my colleagues take for a lunch break. Tsk Tsk @NHLPlayerSafety

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:55 AM
  #185
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
I've only been a little sarcastic with NHL Player Safety on twitter. Still, I just don't know why they aren't replying to me.

Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano 15h
I know @NHLPlayerSafety called the Scott suspension a 7 game suspension. Would have been better to call it a 35 minute suspension.

Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano 1h
Re John Scott suspension: he misses as much ice time as I or my colleagues take for a lunch break. Tsk Tsk @NHLPlayerSafety
Too funny, more morning laughs, thx Dom

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:58 AM
  #186
hoss75
Registered User
 
hoss75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cambridge, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
I've only been a little sarcastic with NHL Player Safety on twitter. Still, I just don't know why they aren't replying to me.

Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano 15h
I know @NHLPlayerSafety called the Scott suspension a 7 game suspension. Would have been better to call it a 35 minute suspension.

Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano 1h
Re John Scott suspension: he misses as much ice time as I or my colleagues take for a lunch break. Tsk Tsk @NHLPlayerSafety
Classic!!

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:03 AM
  #187
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co
 
Dom - OHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stratford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Too funny, more morning laughs, thx Dom
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
Classic!!
This one is better, but mods may want to delete it

Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano 34s
If Sean Avery had concussed Loui Eriksson before John Scott, would @NHLPlayerSafety then suspended Scott 6 games for "sloppy seconds"?

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:04 AM
  #188
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
This one is better, but mods may want to delete it

Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano 34s
If Sean Avery had concussed Loui Eriksson before John Scott, would @NHLPlayerSafety then suspended Scott 6 games for "sloppy seconds"?
Nice...stay classy

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:06 AM
  #189
amazingcrwns
IBelieveThatWeWilWin
 
amazingcrwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Western MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
That's a great idea, a team that looks like the 1975 Washington Capitals are pushing you all around the ice physically and have a guy that has intimidated you for over a season now and your answer is take the power play and turn and run.

Excellent plan, maybe when Kaleta takes out Bergeron next we can have a pool on how many games his suspension will be, but we will get those vital two points against a bad team because we will have a five minute power play for a meaningless regular season game, we just won't have Bergeron or whomever cause they will be out with a concussion.
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the need to add a bigger / stronger goon to the lineup. I don't believe that some staged fight between Scott and some 6'8 260 lb guy in the first period of that game would have changed anything. I still think Rolston ends up tapping Scott on the sholder in the 3rd period. They were getting embarassed on the scoreboard, Buffalo wanted to send a message, and they did.

If you have Chara, McQuaid, Thornton, and Lucic in the lineup how do you benefit from calling someone like Mitch Fritz out of retirement to sit on the bench for all but 3 minutes a night so that Thornton can watch from the press box?

Someone else made a careless hit against one of the Bruins skilled players, and the next time they step on the ice, I'm pretty sure Scott will have the fight he's looking for, and I imagine Chara ends up in the box for 5 minutes, which is what Buffalo wants.

I don't want Boston turning into Buffalo though, I love that the Bruins employ players that can play hockey as well as fight when necessary. I don't buy the argument that the bruins would play tougher with a goon in their lineup, they have a 6'9 monster on the blueline already and he'll stand up for anybody on the roster. I don't believe that having some other guy sitting on the bench would change the way the Bruins play at all. I think you'd lose some of that energy that the merlot line brings a few times a game, and instead you'd see a team trying to prevent a goal once a period so that and ahl level player can skate a few shifts doing nothing.

amazingcrwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:19 AM
  #190
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson
 
BMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northeastern CT
Country: United States
Posts: 20,668
vCash: 50
Instead of sending someone out to fight Scott the Bruins should just run one of the Sabres' skill players all night long.

Of course now that Vanek has been traded a skill player on the Sabres might be hard to find.....

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:19 AM
  #191
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Instead of sending someone out to fight Scott the Bruins should just run one of the Sabres' skill players all night long.

Of course now that Vanek has been traded a skill player on the Sabres might be hard to find.....
Ott

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:22 AM
  #192
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co
 
Dom - OHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stratford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Instead of sending someone out to fight Scott the Bruins should just run one of the Sabres' skill players all night long.

Of course now that Vanek has been traded a skill player on the Sabres might be hard to find.....
There's still Miller.

Oh wait. I forgot

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:23 AM
  #193
qc
Registered User
 
qc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Caphell, MA
Posts: 10,135
vCash: 2000
7 games is what I roughly expected. And at least we don't have to hear from Van/Mtl's insane asylum about how the league "favors" the bruins. I think the focus should now be on Loui's recovery.. the poor guy was just starting to get comfy.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:42 AM
  #194
Cid
Registered User
 
Cid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
??? What ???

Chara obliterated his nose, disintegrated it. Koci hit Chara on the button as well and they both buckled their knees. Koci is one of the only who waned to trade with him and he payed a terrible price.

I dont want Chara to spend one second breaking his hand on Scott's head. Make the Sabres skill guys pay the price. Hit every thing that moves and if they are skill guy hit hard and often. If they say one word, drop them where they stand...
I am sorry, but Chara just isn't a fighter. The guy can barely stand on his skates. When is the last time he did anything to anyone in a fight, aside from falling down with guys half his size? And as I said before, Koci was already cut going into the fight. Chara reopened it.

Chara should not ever engage a guy like Scott. It's not worth it for so many reasons. The only way Chara is breaking his hand in that fight is by falling to the ice and landing on it awkwardly.

Again, the Scott situation is over. He will be hesitant to throw big open ice hits, he can't skate, he can't play. Just don't acknowledge him and enjoy the 5 minutes of hockey he is on the ice by skating circles around the human pylon.

Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:43 AM
  #195
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!
 
Roll 4 Lines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bear Country
Country: United States
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingcrwns View Post
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the need to add a bigger / stronger goon to the lineup. I don't believe that some staged fight between Scott and some 6'8 260 lb guy in the first period of that game would have changed anything. I still think Rolston ends up tapping Scott on the sholder in the 3rd period. They were getting embarassed on the scoreboard, Buffalo wanted to send a message, and they did.

If you have Chara, McQuaid, Thornton, and Lucic in the lineup how do you benefit from calling someone like Mitch Fritz out of retirement to sit on the bench for all but 3 minutes a night so that Thornton can watch from the press box?

Someone else made a careless hit against one of the Bruins skilled players, and the next time they step on the ice, I'm pretty sure Scott will have the fight he's looking for, and I imagine Chara ends up in the box for 5 minutes, which is what Buffalo wants.

I don't want Boston turning into Buffalo though, I love that the Bruins employ players that can play hockey as well as fight when necessary. I don't buy the argument that the bruins would play tougher with a goon in their lineup, they have a 6'9 monster on the blueline already and he'll stand up for anybody on the roster. I don't believe that having some other guy sitting on the bench would change the way the Bruins play at all. I think you'd lose some of that energy that the merlot line brings a few times a game, and instead you'd see a team trying to prevent a goal once a period so that and ahl level player can skate a few shifts doing nothing.
You're ruining our game you tree-hugging, soccer-watching, euro-pinko, figure-skating Swede!!




That said, I agree with you!

Although I can't understand how Buffalo has a team left at all. With their enforcer out I expected every team to be flying around and concussing all their stars with elbows and cheap shots.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:46 AM
  #196
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,776
vCash: 500
Is there a video yet from the Sultan of Swat Shanahan?

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:46 AM
  #197
qc
Registered User
 
qc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Caphell, MA
Posts: 10,135
vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
Chara should not ever engage a guy like Scott. It's not worth it for so many reasons. The only way Chara is breaking his hand in that fight is by falling to the ice and landing on it awkwardly.
I agree with this in regards to staged fights, or "revenge" fights (for a prior game's hit). But I still don't mind Chara doing something in the heat of the moment, if he's on the ice...

..ie- Emelin's cheapshot on Seguin; Chara is doing his job as a captain and giant Slovakian badass for going after Emelin. If Emelin is dumb enough to do something like that when Z is on the ice, then he deserves a beating. But in Scott's case, I agree that Z has nothing to gain by fighting.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 10:08 AM
  #198
Therick67
Registered User
 
Therick67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
I am sorry, but Chara just isn't a fighter. The guy can barely stand on his skates. When is the last time he did anything to anyone in a fight, aside from falling down with guys half his size? And as I said before, Koci was already cut going into the fight. Chara reopened it.

Chara should not ever engage a guy like Scott. It's not worth it for so many reasons. The only way Chara is breaking his hand in that fight is by falling to the ice and landing on it awkwardly.

Again, the Scott situation is over. He will be hesitant to throw big open ice hits, he can't skate, he can't play. Just don't acknowledge him and enjoy the 5 minutes of hockey he is on the ice by skating circles around the human pylon.
IIRC that's what they did...ask Eriksson how that worked out.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 11:02 AM
  #199
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: next to the bench
Country: Scotland
Posts: 25,923
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Instead of sending someone out to fight Scott the Bruins should just run one of the Sabres' skill players all night long.

Of course now that Vanek has been traded a skill player on the Sabres might be hard to find.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
There's still Miller.

Oh wait. I forgot
You guys are funny.

I say ignore the goon. He isn't worth any of the B's going to the box or getting hurt.

__________________
It's almost time...Drop the puck !!!
Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 11:18 AM
  #200
Hali33
Registered User
 
Hali33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
7 games is fine. Like I said earlier, it's never going to be fair when a 4th liner takes out a top liner. At least now he has a lengthy suspension on his record. If he tries it again I won't be surprised if the league make a big ole example out of him. I bet there are 29 teams that would love to see him out of the league.
Not on board with these comments wanting Chara or Lucic to go with Scott. All that does is play right into their hands where a useless goon takes out another team's top player. Not to mention there's a good chance one of them could get hurt. Buffalo has nothing to lose in this scenario because their team is doing nothing this year anyway. Chara does not fight enough anymore to convince me he would win that one. If Lucic is all fired up I'd say he's got a better chance but he's playing too good this season to risk it. Imagine how much we'd be kicking ourselves if they ended up with a broken hand or concussion just to show up a useless player. What kind of damage would that do to this team's chances in an extremely competitive conference? No, I say we play our game. Big hits, no fear and no mercy on the scoreboard. Play your best hockey when he is on the ice and expose him for the crap player he is. If it makes Buffalo feel bigger and badder having him on the ice well good for them. Anyone can teach a boxer how to skate, it's just some teams would rather win games and do something with their season. If anyone takes him it's Thorton or McQuaid.

Hali33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.