HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re BRISEBOIS booing:RDS rips Jack Todd

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 05:38 AM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
Re BRISEBOIS booing:RDS rips Jack Todd

See following article, last paragraphs:

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chronique...N3F770737.html

It is about time someone in the Media denounces what has been said so many time on hockey Boards, that Patrice Brisebois has been the victim of a pure and simple character assasination by Jack Todd and that the minority of fans who boo him unmercifully are just Jack Todd followers...

How else can it be explained that Brisebois, and not others, are booed systematically?

Because of the "big"contract?

Donald Audette also has a big contract and has done literally NOTHING, he is much worse than Briosebois and much less useful to the team, yet no booing...

Yannick Perreault scored , what, 1 or 2 goals in the whole 2nd half last year, he has not won a battle for the puck in the corners during his ENTIRE carreer, plays soft all the time, yet no boos...

Jose Theodore had a dismal season last year after getting a real big contract, no boos...

Randy McKay and Mariuz Cherkawski stole a few Million bucks right before our eyes, no boos...

Why Brisebois? Very simple, because there is a spiteful catalyst acting as booleader (instead on cheerleader), Mr. Jack Todd himself, who just got what he deserved from RDS!

Old
09-29-2003, 06:03 AM
Habber

Jack Todd from today's Gazette:
http://www.canada.com/montreal/sport...4-D109554AE6BD

A quote:
"Still, when a player gets $4.5 million U.S. a year and has a season as wretched as Brisebois did last year, he's going to get booed in Montreal. Gainey saw it happen to Larry Robinson, so he knows how tough this crowd can be. On the other hand, the louts who get beered up before the game and decide they're going to boo Brisebois or Craig Rivet - no matter how they play - demonstrate a total lack of class.

By all accounts, Brisebois played well against the Sabres. We are supposed to have freedom of speech in this country, so fans who pay through the nose are within their rights whether they boo Brisebois or the U.S. anthem. Booing a player who is having a good night, on the other hand, is plain silly."

Blaming the boo-birds on Jack Todd is classless in itself, IMO. I've never seen Todd attack Breezy's character or tell people to boo him. These people that are booing Breezy make their own decision to do it, they're not robots who do it cause Todd told them so, that's ridiculous.

And it's not like Breezy is Todd's only target. He has also harshly crtisized Audette and Perrault. So to say the boo-birds are on Breezy cause of Todd is a flawed argument.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:04 AM
J-D

Jack Todd might be an idiot, but the hate for Brisebois certainly goes beyond the Gazette's regulars...

Old
09-29-2003, 06:04 AM
Joe Cole

Todd is a boob. We all know that. But if we are going to call all the bad reporters and columnists out on the carpet, does the line start behind Todd, Tremblay, Mario Brisebois, or Marc Defoy.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:17 AM
mcphee

Wait just a minute. I've been pretty clear about my distaste for both the booing and for Jack Todd. If I read the article correctly, he's insuating that the people booing are just following his lead. So the assumption is that it is divided along linguistic lines ?

I can decide who I like and don't like as can everyone I know. I don't know anyone who has Jack Todd as a basis for their opinions. So the booing is made up of Gazette readers ? Also, when Todd goes after someone, he usually makes sure he isn't alone so that he won't have to take the heat alone. Noone in the Francophone media has been critical of Brisebois ? Someone has to explain to Todd who isn't playing well because he can't come with this stuff on his own. He doesn't know the game well enough. Todd hasn't been the only member of the media critical of Brisebois. The people booing are most probably a cross section of so called Hab fans. You'll find a percentage of jackasses in all
ethnic groups. For that matter, I imagine some of the booers read Le Journal, some read La Presse, and some don't read at all.

The way I see it Gelinas can find other ways to take a shot at Todd. In fact Todd has said very little about Brisebois lately. Somehow I doubt Gelinas follows his column too closely and is basing his opinion on what people tell him. Gee, isn't that what Todd does ?

Old
09-29-2003, 07:14 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
The way I see it Gelinas can find other ways to take a shot at Todd. In fact Todd has said very little about Brisebois lately. Somehow I doubt Gelinas follows his column too closely and is basing his opinion on what people tell him. Gee, isn't that what Todd does ?
Mcphee you bring here a subject to debate: Is the sport section is the weak department in journalism? A weak ethic of journalism?
Anything written in a newspaper must be truth or facts that are supported by a solid source. Sport journalism seems to be a different area and falls into the vague perception and the mood of the journalist or collumnist. A different proffessional ethic than the rest of the newspaper.

In a matter fact, watching a sport player is very subjective. Jack Tood made his worst articles anti-Brisebois many years ago (I almost never read The Gazette). It's funny that just now another journalist point him for the bad opinion some people have over Brisebois. In fact Todd has said very little about Brisebois lately. So why Gelinas criticize Todd now? Is that kind of late for doing it?

Old
09-29-2003, 07:48 AM
Corey

Given the subjectivity inherent in sports writing (or art, or music, drama, or literary criticism), it's a good idea to read as many sources as possible. Jack Todd is highly opinionated and not afraid to make his opinions known. We don't have to agree with him on all counts but he's worth hearing because he doesn't go along with the establishment line. He's a rebel, but a passive one. He confines himself to the safety of words rather than deeds. Listing zeroes isn't the same thing as taking action.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:30 AM
tinyzombies

It's one thing to say, "Let's give Brisebois a break, it's a new year, stop the booing" and to chastise every reporter or fan who has criticized the guy. He has deserved the criticism that has gone his way. It may have been a little too thick, and maybe Rivet deserves his share too, but he still deserves to hear it from the fans if he's not putting in the effort.

The fans in Quebec know the story with this guy and his front office connnections, being out of shape, waiving trades, pretending to play tough, the whole deal.

I don't boo players myself, but I have no problem with the fans booing him if he deserves it. It lets management know that we won't put up with lack of effort either in the weight room or on the ice.

But he become a symbol for the decline of the whole team, and that is wrong. The contract is Savard's fault too, not Brisebois' fault.

Gainey is right, Brisebois is not to blame for the decline of the team and he deserves to be left alone so he can put his game back together.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:34 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
It's one thing to say, "Let's give Brisebois a break, it's a new year, stop the booing" and to chastise every reporter or fan who has criticized the guy. He has deserved the criticism that has gone his way. It may have been a little too thick, and maybe Rivet deserves his share too, but he still deserves to hear it from the fans if he's not putting in the effort.

The fans in Quebec know the story with this guy and his front office connnections, being out of shape, waiving trades, pretending to play tough, the whole deal.

I don't boo players myself, but I have no problem with the fans booing him if he deserves it. It lets management know that we won't put up with lack of effort either in the weight room or on the ice.

But he become a symbol for the decline of the whole team, and that is wrong. The contract is Savard's fault too, not Brisebois' fault.

Gainey is right, Brisebois is not to blame for the decline of the team and he deserves to be left alone so he can put his game back together.
As long as we buy him out at the end of the season!

Old
09-29-2003, 01:26 PM
8b

I desagree. I did boo Brisebois once and this have nothing to do with Todd. I was tired of him (and still) and his untrable status and also his smooth play as a defense player.

He will be booed this season again, with or without agreement of all and this have nothing to do with his skills or the way he is playing. The guy have done things that fans did not like (the way he defend his teammates, like Zednik in 2002 playoffs, the NJ trade he refused, the Paris vacation, etc.). It is part of hockey that the fans like or dislike a player, in that case many hate him. For myself, I dislike Brisebois since the habs traded Desjardins: it was said they tryed to give Brisebois instead of Desjardins and Flyers had refused. It is not really Brisebois's fault back then, but with all other things that happened...

IMO it is ok that the fans have their word on players, after all it is the fans that pay their salary. Gainey's comments about the fans will become really tasty if the habs have a poor season and Bell center doesn't get full capacity. Brisebois is not the first neither the last to be booed in Montreal, let's hope he can handle it one more season...

Old
09-29-2003, 01:54 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber

I've never seen Todd attack Breezy's character
You haven't read him enough, then. Probably for the best, though.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:11 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:

Exactly....my sentiments

Old
09-29-2003, 03:23 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Blaming the boo-birds on Jack Todd is classless in itself, IMO. I've never seen Todd attack Breezy's character or tell people to boo him. These people that are booing Breezy make their own decision to do it, they're not robots who do it cause Todd told them so, that's ridiculous.

And it's not like Breezy is Todd's only target. He has also harshly crtisized Audette and Perrault. So to say the boo-birds are on Breezy cause of Todd is a flawed argument.
Jack Todd has certainly attacked Brisebois' character on numerous occasions. He's also made wild allegations against Brisebois with no facts to back them up. I'm no Brisebois fan, but the treatment he has received from Todd has been ridiculous. Todd has done a lot to add to the 'anti Brisebois' bandwagon, and deserves criticism for his shoddy journalism and using his column to take shots at people. His entire "Heroes and Zeros" part of his column is specifically there to take shots at people.

I don't read Jack Todd with any amount of frequency, but I've never seen him take a shot at Audette or Perreault; especially not to the extent he's insulted Brisebois on personal & professional levels.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:25 PM
BlackJack21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Exactly....my sentiments
The only problem with Brisebois is that he is our best D-man...

If he was on the 2nd pairing, evrything would be fine!

It's like Biddle being Expo's sopper...

if he was a 7-8th innings picher, we would like him so much!

BJ21

Old
09-29-2003, 03:32 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Given the subjectivity inherent in sports writing (or art, or music, drama, or literary criticism), it's a good idea to read as many sources as possible. Jack Todd is highly opinionated and not afraid to make his opinions known. We don't have to agree with him on all counts but he's worth hearing because he doesn't go along with the establishment line. He's a rebel, but a passive one. He confines himself to the safety of words rather than deeds. Listing zeroes isn't the same thing as taking action.
I disagree. I find Jack Todd to go along exactly with the 'company line', but parades himself as though he's some kind of 'rebel' as you put it. A perfect example is when Jeffrey Loria and David Samson came in and took over the Expos. Jack Todd was all over it, exclaiming how this was the beginning of a new era of baseball in Montreal; that finally, the Expos have quality ownership that cares.

He was singing praises for the new Expos ownership left and right, until it became popular to bash Loria and Samson for their quick little exodus.

I find this is the case with everything Todd writes about. He goes with the flow; whatever's the popular opinion, he goes with. I've never seen him analyze a situation (especially in hockey), or ever go in depth. I've never gained any knowledge, insight, or new opinions from Todd's articles. I'm not claiming to be a know-it-all here, as I've learned at least some information from Pat Hickey and some insight from Red Fisher in the past, but Todd has never offered anything other than trashy, tabloid-calibre articles as far as I've seen.

He's about as low as one can go in terms of journalism.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:23 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Originally Posted by strummerman
to quote Jack Todd Mike8 Zero Strummerman Hero yuk yuk yuk

Old
09-29-2003, 10:01 PM
tritone

Quote:
Jack Todd from today's Gazette:
http://www.canada.com/montreal/sport...4-D109554AE6BD

We are supposed to have freedom of speech in this country, so fans who pay through the nose are within their rights whether they boo Brisebois or the U.S. anthem. Booing a player who is having a good night, on the other hand, is plain silly."
Freedom of speech fine...Booing another Country's national anthem is disgusting. It's pathetic and absurd....I'm no pro-American , in fact I am mostly anti-American on a lot of issues but Booing a political position during a hockey game is absolutely out of place and demonstrates complete and utter stupidity

Freedom of Speech is about expressing ideas and dialogue for the purpose of bettering society. Don't hide behind Freedom of Speech to defend aggression or stupidity. If you are against the National anthem then write to your congressman and do it Democratically if you are so fond of the system that gives you your freedom of speech then maybe you should learn how to use it properly rather than abuse its advantages

Old
09-30-2003, 03:51 AM
mcphee

I'm all for freedom of speech for myself and a few close friends. Keep in mind that to boo an anthem or to boo a player because you don't like him and not for his current play, is exercising your right of free speech. You do have that right. Exercising it in that manner can make you appear ignorant and small minded though.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:43 AM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
I hate to bring the element of the "real world" into this argument, but I feel this is a valid argument...

Brisebois has been booed for everything, good or bad play. How do you think it makes his young daughter feel, seeing all these fans (most of which are drunk, or don't even know what the hell they are booing about) booing and expressing their hatred for her dad. That must be a hard thing to deal with.

As for the booing the national anthem thing, you guys are all making it out to be some random thing that Canadiens fans did one night. Remember, this was in the height of America attacking Iraq without the support of the UN, and this was a form of protest, and yes, probably not the best way to do it.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:51 AM
tinyzombies

I don't have any problem with the anthem booing or the Patrice booing. People are allowed to express their opinion. They can do anything they want unless it interfere's with someone else as far as I'm concerned.

People rarely have a platform to express disapproval, but to say that booing of the anthem was an isolated incident, you forget about the 15 million people who took to the streets worldwide.

You can say it's classless, and sometimes it is, but not always. Isn't it classless to sit with your hands under your legs and say nothing while management and players rake in your money? Let's face it, many of these new breed of players are floaters and the fans are sick of it.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:17 AM
tritone

Quote:
I don't have any problem with the anthem booing or the Patrice booing. People are allowed to express their opinion. They can do anything they want unless it interfere's with someone else as far as I'm concerned.

IT DOES INTERFERE WITH THE OTHER FANS' ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME

People rarely have a platform to express disapproval, but to say that booing of the anthem was an isolated incident, you forget about the 15 million people who took to the streets worldwide.

THAT WAS THE PROPER PLACE TO DEMONSTRATE A POLITICAL PROTEST ...IF IT'S SO RARE HOW DID 15 MILLION PEOPLE TAKE TO THE STREETS ?

You can say it's classless, and sometimes it is, but not always. Isn't it classless to sit with your hands under your legs and say nothing while management and players rake in your money? Let's face it, many of these new breed of players are floaters and the fans are sick of it.
NOBODY FORCED YOU TO BUY THE DAMN TICKET , IF YOU FEEL THE PLAYERS ARE FLOATING DON'T SPEND YOUR MONEY , THAT IS A MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE WAY OF MOTIVATING "MONEY-MOTIVATED PLAYERS" DON'T YOU THINK ?

Closed Thread