HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re BRISEBOIS booing:RDS rips Jack Todd

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-29-2003, 05:38 AM
  #1
plafleur10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Re BRISEBOIS booing:RDS rips Jack Todd

See following article, last paragraphs:

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chronique...N3F770737.html

It is about time someone in the Media denounces what has been said so many time on hockey Boards, that Patrice Brisebois has been the victim of a pure and simple character assasination by Jack Todd and that the minority of fans who boo him unmercifully are just Jack Todd followers...

How else can it be explained that Brisebois, and not others, are booed systematically?

Because of the "big"contract?

Donald Audette also has a big contract and has done literally NOTHING, he is much worse than Briosebois and much less useful to the team, yet no booing...

Yannick Perreault scored , what, 1 or 2 goals in the whole 2nd half last year, he has not won a battle for the puck in the corners during his ENTIRE carreer, plays soft all the time, yet no boos...

Jose Theodore had a dismal season last year after getting a real big contract, no boos...

Randy McKay and Mariuz Cherkawski stole a few Million bucks right before our eyes, no boos...

Why Brisebois? Very simple, because there is a spiteful catalyst acting as booleader (instead on cheerleader), Mr. Jack Todd himself, who just got what he deserved from RDS!

plafleur10 is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 06:03 AM
  #2
Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask.
Posts: 2,030
vCash: 500
Jack Todd from today's Gazette:
http://www.canada.com/montreal/sport...4-D109554AE6BD

A quote:
"Still, when a player gets $4.5 million U.S. a year and has a season as wretched as Brisebois did last year, he's going to get booed in Montreal. Gainey saw it happen to Larry Robinson, so he knows how tough this crowd can be. On the other hand, the louts who get beered up before the game and decide they're going to boo Brisebois or Craig Rivet - no matter how they play - demonstrate a total lack of class.

By all accounts, Brisebois played well against the Sabres. We are supposed to have freedom of speech in this country, so fans who pay through the nose are within their rights whether they boo Brisebois or the U.S. anthem. Booing a player who is having a good night, on the other hand, is plain silly."


Blaming the boo-birds on Jack Todd is classless in itself, IMO. I've never seen Todd attack Breezy's character or tell people to boo him. These people that are booing Breezy make their own decision to do it, they're not robots who do it cause Todd told them so, that's ridiculous.

And it's not like Breezy is Todd's only target. He has also harshly crtisized Audette and Perrault. So to say the boo-birds are on Breezy cause of Todd is a flawed argument.

Habber is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 06:04 AM
  #3
J-D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the dizzle!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
Jack Todd might be an idiot, but the hate for Brisebois certainly goes beyond the Gazette's regulars...

J-D is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 06:04 AM
  #4
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,204
vCash: 500
Todd is a boob. We all know that. But if we are going to call all the bad reporters and columnists out on the carpet, does the line start behind Todd, Tremblay, Mario Brisebois, or Marc Defoy.

Joe Cole is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 06:17 AM
  #5
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Wait just a minute. I've been pretty clear about my distaste for both the booing and for Jack Todd. If I read the article correctly, he's insuating that the people booing are just following his lead. So the assumption is that it is divided along linguistic lines ?

I can decide who I like and don't like as can everyone I know. I don't know anyone who has Jack Todd as a basis for their opinions. So the booing is made up of Gazette readers ? Also, when Todd goes after someone, he usually makes sure he isn't alone so that he won't have to take the heat alone. Noone in the Francophone media has been critical of Brisebois ? Someone has to explain to Todd who isn't playing well because he can't come with this stuff on his own. He doesn't know the game well enough. Todd hasn't been the only member of the media critical of Brisebois. The people booing are most probably a cross section of so called Hab fans. You'll find a percentage of jackasses in all
ethnic groups. For that matter, I imagine some of the booers read Le Journal, some read La Presse, and some don't read at all.

The way I see it Gelinas can find other ways to take a shot at Todd. In fact Todd has said very little about Brisebois lately. Somehow I doubt Gelinas follows his column too closely and is basing his opinion on what people tell him. Gee, isn't that what Todd does ?

mcphee is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 07:14 AM
  #6
HABitude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Laprairie, dans la belle Province
Posts: 2,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
The way I see it Gelinas can find other ways to take a shot at Todd. In fact Todd has said very little about Brisebois lately. Somehow I doubt Gelinas follows his column too closely and is basing his opinion on what people tell him. Gee, isn't that what Todd does ?
Mcphee you bring here a subject to debate: Is the sport section is the weak department in journalism? A weak ethic of journalism?
Anything written in a newspaper must be truth or facts that are supported by a solid source. Sport journalism seems to be a different area and falls into the vague perception and the mood of the journalist or collumnist. A different proffessional ethic than the rest of the newspaper.

In a matter fact, watching a sport player is very subjective. Jack Tood made his worst articles anti-Brisebois many years ago (I almost never read The Gazette). It's funny that just now another journalist point him for the bad opinion some people have over Brisebois. In fact Todd has said very little about Brisebois lately. So why Gelinas criticize Todd now? Is that kind of late for doing it?

HABitude is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 07:48 AM
  #7
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Given the subjectivity inherent in sports writing (or art, or music, drama, or literary criticism), it's a good idea to read as many sources as possible. Jack Todd is highly opinionated and not afraid to make his opinions known. We don't have to agree with him on all counts but he's worth hearing because he doesn't go along with the establishment line. He's a rebel, but a passive one. He confines himself to the safety of words rather than deeds. Listing zeroes isn't the same thing as taking action.

Corey is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 10:30 AM
  #8
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
It's one thing to say, "Let's give Brisebois a break, it's a new year, stop the booing" and to chastise every reporter or fan who has criticized the guy. He has deserved the criticism that has gone his way. It may have been a little too thick, and maybe Rivet deserves his share too, but he still deserves to hear it from the fans if he's not putting in the effort.

The fans in Quebec know the story with this guy and his front office connnections, being out of shape, waiving trades, pretending to play tough, the whole deal.

I don't boo players myself, but I have no problem with the fans booing him if he deserves it. It lets management know that we won't put up with lack of effort either in the weight room or on the ice.

But he become a symbol for the decline of the whole team, and that is wrong. The contract is Savard's fault too, not Brisebois' fault.

Gainey is right, Brisebois is not to blame for the decline of the team and he deserves to be left alone so he can put his game back together.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 10:34 AM
  #9
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
It's one thing to say, "Let's give Brisebois a break, it's a new year, stop the booing" and to chastise every reporter or fan who has criticized the guy. He has deserved the criticism that has gone his way. It may have been a little too thick, and maybe Rivet deserves his share too, but he still deserves to hear it from the fans if he's not putting in the effort.

The fans in Quebec know the story with this guy and his front office connnections, being out of shape, waiving trades, pretending to play tough, the whole deal.

I don't boo players myself, but I have no problem with the fans booing him if he deserves it. It lets management know that we won't put up with lack of effort either in the weight room or on the ice.

But he become a symbol for the decline of the whole team, and that is wrong. The contract is Savard's fault too, not Brisebois' fault.

Gainey is right, Brisebois is not to blame for the decline of the team and he deserves to be left alone so he can put his game back together.
As long as we buy him out at the end of the season!

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 01:26 PM
  #10
8b
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: montreal
Posts: 690
vCash: 500
I desagree. I did boo Brisebois once and this have nothing to do with Todd. I was tired of him (and still) and his untrable status and also his smooth play as a defense player.

He will be booed this season again, with or without agreement of all and this have nothing to do with his skills or the way he is playing. The guy have done things that fans did not like (the way he defend his teammates, like Zednik in 2002 playoffs, the NJ trade he refused, the Paris vacation, etc.). It is part of hockey that the fans like or dislike a player, in that case many hate him. For myself, I dislike Brisebois since the habs traded Desjardins: it was said they tryed to give Brisebois instead of Desjardins and Flyers had refused. It is not really Brisebois's fault back then, but with all other things that happened...

IMO it is ok that the fans have their word on players, after all it is the fans that pay their salary. Gainey's comments about the fans will become really tasty if the habs have a poor season and Bell center doesn't get full capacity. Brisebois is not the first neither the last to be booed in Montreal, let's hope he can handle it one more season...

8b is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 01:54 PM
  #11
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber

I've never seen Todd attack Breezy's character
You haven't read him enough, then. Probably for the best, though.

Souffle is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 03:11 PM
  #12
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves

Gainey is right, Brisebois is not to blame for the decline of the team and he deserves to be left alone so he can put his game back together.
Exactly....my sentiments

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 03:23 PM
  #13
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
Blaming the boo-birds on Jack Todd is classless in itself, IMO. I've never seen Todd attack Breezy's character or tell people to boo him. These people that are booing Breezy make their own decision to do it, they're not robots who do it cause Todd told them so, that's ridiculous.

And it's not like Breezy is Todd's only target. He has also harshly crtisized Audette and Perrault. So to say the boo-birds are on Breezy cause of Todd is a flawed argument.
Jack Todd has certainly attacked Brisebois' character on numerous occasions. He's also made wild allegations against Brisebois with no facts to back them up. I'm no Brisebois fan, but the treatment he has received from Todd has been ridiculous. Todd has done a lot to add to the 'anti Brisebois' bandwagon, and deserves criticism for his shoddy journalism and using his column to take shots at people. His entire "Heroes and Zeros" part of his column is specifically there to take shots at people.

I don't read Jack Todd with any amount of frequency, but I've never seen him take a shot at Audette or Perreault; especially not to the extent he's insulted Brisebois on personal & professional levels.

Mike8 is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 03:25 PM
  #14
BlackJack21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Exactly....my sentiments
The only problem with Brisebois is that he is our best D-man...

If he was on the 2nd pairing, evrything would be fine!

It's like Biddle being Expo's sopper...

if he was a 7-8th innings picher, we would like him so much!

BJ21

BlackJack21 is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 03:32 PM
  #15
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Given the subjectivity inherent in sports writing (or art, or music, drama, or literary criticism), it's a good idea to read as many sources as possible. Jack Todd is highly opinionated and not afraid to make his opinions known. We don't have to agree with him on all counts but he's worth hearing because he doesn't go along with the establishment line. He's a rebel, but a passive one. He confines himself to the safety of words rather than deeds. Listing zeroes isn't the same thing as taking action.
I disagree. I find Jack Todd to go along exactly with the 'company line', but parades himself as though he's some kind of 'rebel' as you put it. A perfect example is when Jeffrey Loria and David Samson came in and took over the Expos. Jack Todd was all over it, exclaiming how this was the beginning of a new era of baseball in Montreal; that finally, the Expos have quality ownership that cares.

He was singing praises for the new Expos ownership left and right, until it became popular to bash Loria and Samson for their quick little exodus.

I find this is the case with everything Todd writes about. He goes with the flow; whatever's the popular opinion, he goes with. I've never seen him analyze a situation (especially in hockey), or ever go in depth. I've never gained any knowledge, insight, or new opinions from Todd's articles. I'm not claiming to be a know-it-all here, as I've learned at least some information from Pat Hickey and some insight from Red Fisher in the past, but Todd has never offered anything other than trashy, tabloid-calibre articles as far as I've seen.

He's about as low as one can go in terms of journalism.

Mike8 is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 06:23 PM
  #16
Brisebois
Registered User
 
Brisebois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Feeding Johan Sedin
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Originally Posted by strummerman
to quote Jack Todd Mike8 Zero Strummerman Hero yuk yuk yuk

Brisebois is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 10:01 PM
  #17
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
Jack Todd from today's Gazette:
http://www.canada.com/montreal/sport...4-D109554AE6BD

We are supposed to have freedom of speech in this country, so fans who pay through the nose are within their rights whether they boo Brisebois or the U.S. anthem. Booing a player who is having a good night, on the other hand, is plain silly."
Freedom of speech fine...Booing another Country's national anthem is disgusting. It's pathetic and absurd....I'm no pro-American , in fact I am mostly anti-American on a lot of issues but Booing a political position during a hockey game is absolutely out of place and demonstrates complete and utter stupidity

Freedom of Speech is about expressing ideas and dialogue for the purpose of bettering society. Don't hide behind Freedom of Speech to defend aggression or stupidity. If you are against the National anthem then write to your congressman and do it Democratically if you are so fond of the system that gives you your freedom of speech then maybe you should learn how to use it properly rather than abuse its advantages

tritone is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 03:51 AM
  #18
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
I'm all for freedom of speech for myself and a few close friends. Keep in mind that to boo an anthem or to boo a player because you don't like him and not for his current play, is exercising your right of free speech. You do have that right. Exercising it in that manner can make you appear ignorant and small minded though.

mcphee is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 04:43 AM
  #19
TwineSniper
Registered User
 
TwineSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
I hate to bring the element of the "real world" into this argument, but I feel this is a valid argument...

Brisebois has been booed for everything, good or bad play. How do you think it makes his young daughter feel, seeing all these fans (most of which are drunk, or don't even know what the hell they are booing about) booing and expressing their hatred for her dad. That must be a hard thing to deal with.

As for the booing the national anthem thing, you guys are all making it out to be some random thing that Canadiens fans did one night. Remember, this was in the height of America attacking Iraq without the support of the UN, and this was a form of protest, and yes, probably not the best way to do it.

TwineSniper is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 06:51 AM
  #20
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
I don't have any problem with the anthem booing or the Patrice booing. People are allowed to express their opinion. They can do anything they want unless it interfere's with someone else as far as I'm concerned.

People rarely have a platform to express disapproval, but to say that booing of the anthem was an isolated incident, you forget about the 15 million people who took to the streets worldwide.

You can say it's classless, and sometimes it is, but not always. Isn't it classless to sit with your hands under your legs and say nothing while management and players rake in your money? Let's face it, many of these new breed of players are floaters and the fans are sick of it.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 01:17 AM
  #21
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I don't have any problem with the anthem booing or the Patrice booing. People are allowed to express their opinion. They can do anything they want unless it interfere's with someone else as far as I'm concerned.

IT DOES INTERFERE WITH THE OTHER FANS' ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME

People rarely have a platform to express disapproval, but to say that booing of the anthem was an isolated incident, you forget about the 15 million people who took to the streets worldwide.

THAT WAS THE PROPER PLACE TO DEMONSTRATE A POLITICAL PROTEST ...IF IT'S SO RARE HOW DID 15 MILLION PEOPLE TAKE TO THE STREETS ?

You can say it's classless, and sometimes it is, but not always. Isn't it classless to sit with your hands under your legs and say nothing while management and players rake in your money? Let's face it, many of these new breed of players are floaters and the fans are sick of it.
NOBODY FORCED YOU TO BUY THE DAMN TICKET , IF YOU FEEL THE PLAYERS ARE FLOATING DON'T SPEND YOUR MONEY , THAT IS A MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE WAY OF MOTIVATING "MONEY-MOTIVATED PLAYERS" DON'T YOU THINK ?

tritone is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.