HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Paul Stastny to Vancouver

Old
10-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Pure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
Based on what? Your opinion? Pundits suggested the Sedins' would be 70 points players this year, yet Henrik is second in scoring. Pundits suggested Kesler would never touch 50 points again, he has 7 goals in 13 games. The Canucks are second to Buffalo in man games lost to injury, yet are 2nd in the league in points and wins. But no, HF poster Pure says our window is close so it must be true.
1 playoff win in 2 seasons.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:53 PM
dim jim
K2B

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
1 playoff win in 2 seasons.
Sure lets use a 9 game sample size as the base of our argument. Chicago had 5 playoff wins in 2 seasons prior to winning the cup, let me guess their window was close too?

dim jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Sure lets use a 9 game sample size as the base of our argument. Chicago had 5 playoff wins in 2 seasons prior to winning the cup, let me guess their window was close too?
You're using a 13 game sample size to prove that the window isn't closed and the pundits are wrong. Same ****.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Pure

Quote:
No because Kane, Keith, Toews, Seabrook aren't over 30. The team was recovering from losing so much depth but their players were trending up. Vancouver isn't trending up, they've peaked.

Old
10-26-2013, 08:03 PM
dim jim
K2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
You're using a 13 game sample size to prove that the window isn't closed and the pundits are wrong. Same ****.
Not really considering the fact the Sedins' have been among the most productive players since the full year lockout, along with the fact Vancouver has been the best team over the course of the prior 3 seasons. The pundits made a baseless claim and Vancouver has shown in a large sample size that they are in fact one of the best teams in the league.

dim jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanucks1 View Post
Paul Stastny for Brian Campbell is perfect
LOL how does that trade get made? The Panthers wouldn't do it unless they'd be sure to re-sign him and if you were Paul Stastny would you sign in Florida??

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuklehead View Post
Gonna love it when he doesn't get resigned and walks for nothing
It will be even funnier when both Sedins sign in Detroit on July 1st. You might even say twice as funny.

Scouting the NHL Draft
www.thehockeyprospector.com
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:04 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 150
Silliness aside, Statsny without an extension is a playoff rental. While it's still early teams that are looking to make the playoffs don't trade their playoff rentals, typically they spend assets to acquire other playoff rentals that will more than likely walk in the off season.

Some people just can't get this concept through their head. It doesn't matter to Colorado if Statsny walks for nothing at the end of the season if they've made the playoffs. And chances are they may spend their first round to acquire another player that could walk for nothing in the summer.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:09 PM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
No because Kane, Keith, Toews, Seabrook aren't over 30. The team was recovering from losing so much depth but their players were trending up. Vancouver isn't trending up, they've peaked.
Sedin is one of leading scorers in the league, Kesler is in full beast mode now that he's on the wing and scoring like a machine, Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis are all playing some of their best hockey, we also have some strong prospects in Horvat, Shinkaruk and Jensen and young players with Kassian, Tanev and Lack, I think your greatly underratting Vancouver. No we're not cup contenders this year we need some more depth scoring but we have youth who are almost ready for that role, sure we had a step back from 2011 but I wouldn't say we've peaked or doomed.

iFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:14 PM
B4NND1T*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
LOL how does that trade get made? The Panthers wouldn't do it unless they'd be sure to re-sign him and if you were Paul Stastny would you sign in Florida??

It will be even funnier when both Sedins sign in Detroit on July 1st. You might even say twice as funny.
With what Cap space lol. Sedins have said they want to stay longterm, Gillis will work his contract magic. They spent money out of their pockets to modify a charity booth in the arena itself, they will retire as canucks

B4NND1T* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Silliness aside, Statsny without an extension is a playoff rental. While it's still early teams that are looking to make the playoffs don't trade their playoff rentals, typically they spend assets to acquire other playoff rentals that will more than likely walk in the off season.

Some people just can't get this concept through their head. It doesn't matter to Colorado if Statsny walks for nothing at the end of the season if they've made the playoffs. And chances are they may spend their first round to acquire another player that could walk for nothing in the summer.
That's what a lot of teams do and it's almost always a mistake. How did it work out for Dallas NOT to trade Brad Richards only to just miss the playoffs? The point here is for the Avs that they finished 29th last year and I doubt seriously if anyone in the organization is thinking that Paul Stastny is going to be the difference between winning the cup or not winning the cup this season.

If they want him long term and he wants to be here, they'll get something done. If not, I believe they will shop him to the highest bidder because the Avs are in no position to let assets walk away for free in exchange for a few possible playoff games. That doesn't mean the team won't be able to trade him and then acquire another lesser veteran guy to help out the rest of the way.

I'll be absolutely shocked if he isn't either extended to a new contract or traded come March 6th,2014.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Nihiliste

Now that we're in the same division as the blues I really want to re-sign him or trade him to another team where he's willing to sign so that the Blues can't have him.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:52 AM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Now that we're in the same division as the blues I really want to re-sign him or trade him to another team where he's willing to sign so that the Blues can't have him.
Ahem.......blue and white.....just sayin'.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:53 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
How is it asking his current worth to us not a smart move? Right now we have no interest in moving Stastny and we didn't start the thread.

But since the Sedins are an aging, rental UFA we can have one for a 1st + mid prospect, right?
if the Canucks were sellers a 1st+good prospect sounds about right. Stastny isn't in their league though.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFan View Post
Sedin is one of leading scorers in the league, Kesler is in full beast mode now that he's on the wing and scoring like a machine, Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis are all playing some of their best hockey, we also have some strong prospects in Horvat, Shinkaruk and Jensen and young players with Kassian, Tanev and Lack, I think your greatly underratting Vancouver. No we're not cup contenders this year we need some more depth scoring but we have youth who are almost ready for that role, sure we had a step back from 2011 but I wouldn't say we've peaked or doomed.
By definition, stepping back from a legit contender to only a solid team means their Stanley cup window has closed. It doesn't necessarily mean they have to rebuild right away, but this is not a team thats trending up. And yes, 2011 is definitely the peak for this Canucks era. It wasn't that long ago so Canucks fans shouldn't have forgotten how good they were/how much better they are than this current roster.

This doesn't necessarily mean another window can't open with the Sedins being major pieces, but unless the prospects start making NHL impact or Gillis pull off some major acquisitions, the Canucks aren't going to be better than they were in 2011.

Old
10-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Get North

vCash: 495
If a trade was to happen between us (Canucks) and Avs it would be around the trade deadline so we know if Avs aren't in playoff contention they might want to move Stastny as a part of their rebuild, this trade won't happen in the next week because Avs are on a roll.

I don't know what all this arguing is about but I think Stastny is a keeper at the time.

Get North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 01:16 AM
jimslob

Quote:
By definition, stepping back from a legit contender to only a solid team means their Stanley cup window has closed. It doesn't necessarily mean they have to rebuild right away, but this is not a team thats trending up. And yes, 2011 is definitely the peak for this Canucks era. It wasn't that long ago so Canucks fans shouldn't have forgotten how good they were/how much better they are than this current roster.

This doesn't necessarily mean another window can't open with the Sedins being major pieces, but unless the prospects start making NHL impact or Gillis pull off some major acquisitions, the Canucks aren't going to be better than they were in 2011.
the Canucks don't have to be better than they were in 2011 to be legit cup contenders, they only have to be healthier. A halthy Nucks team in 2011 takes out the Bruins in 4 or 5 games.

When we lost Hamhuis we lost the series.

jimslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 02:53 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
That's what a lot of teams do and it's almost always a mistake. How did it work out for Dallas NOT to trade Brad Richards only to just miss the playoffs? The point here is for the Avs that they finished 29th last year and I doubt seriously if anyone in the organization is thinking that Paul Stastny is going to be the difference between winning the cup or not winning the cup this season.

If they want him long term and he wants to be here, they'll get something done. If not, I believe they will shop him to the highest bidder because the Avs are in no position to let assets walk away for free in exchange for a few possible playoff games. That doesn't mean the team won't be able to trade him and then acquire another lesser veteran guy to help out the rest of the way.

I'll be absolutely shocked if he isn't either extended to a new contract or traded come March 6th,2014.
Dallas was a bit of a stretch to make the playoffs at the time and they had little organization depth, plus you also have to wonder if it wasn't just about making the playoffs but they were still hoping to sign him before July 1st. We'll see where the Avs are sitting at the trade deadline, but they've been stockpiling for a while now and have Duchene, MacKinnon, O'Reilly, and Landeskog in place up front. Richards was Dallas' franchise player, Statsny for Colorado is further down the depth chart. And at this point getting these kids feet wet in the playoffs is probably going to be more valuable to the franchise than adding another late first to your prospect pool.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 03:46 AM
JohnHodgson

Trading for UFA superstars don't cost that much, trading for a UFA Stastny? Let that sink in for a second. You aren't getting any of our top four defenseman in return unless you're adding. Simple as that.

JohnHodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 03:56 AM
Spectrefire

Look at what Derek Roy got at the deadline, that's your comparable for Statsny, none of this top 4 D or two good prospects insanity.

He's probably worth a B grade prospect plus a 2nd round pick, or a C grade prospect and a 1st. The only condition in which a top 4 D would even be moved to Colorado is if that D is also an upcoming UFA with no gaurantee of re-signing.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:04 AM
Pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimslob View Post
the Canucks don't have to be better than they were in 2011 to be legit cup contenders, they only have to be healthier. A halthy Nucks team in 2011 takes out the Bruins in 4 or 5 games.

When we lost Hamhuis we lost the series.
I don't think that's true at all. We barely beat them when we did get victories. We weren't clearly better, that series would have been a battle with Hamhuis healthy.

Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 05:06 AM
a mangy Meowth
#thestructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHodgson View Post
Trading for UFA superstars don't cost that much, trading for a UFA Stastny? Let that sink in for a second. You aren't getting any of our top four defenseman in return unless you're adding. Simple as that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
Look at what Derek Roy got at the deadline, that's your comparable for Statsny, none of this top 4 D or two good prospects insanity.

He's probably worth a B grade prospect plus a 2nd round pick, or a C grade prospect and a 1st. The only condition in which a top 4 D would even be moved to Colorado is if that D is also an upcoming UFA with no gaurantee of re-signing.
We know his value right now. We know that we'd have to add to get what we want. None of this is going to happen right now though. Trade deadline is when we should talk.

a mangy Meowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 06:31 AM
bobbyt911

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Dallas was a bit of a stretch to make the playoffs at the time and they had little organization depth, plus you also have to wonder if it wasn't just about making the playoffs but they were still hoping to sign him before July 1st. We'll see where the Avs are sitting at the trade deadline, but they've been stockpiling for a while now and have Duchene, MacKinnon, O'Reilly, and Landeskog in place up front. Richards was Dallas' franchise player, Statsny for Colorado is further down the depth chart. And at this point getting these kids feet wet in the playoffs is probably going to be more valuable to the franchise than adding another late first to your prospect pool.
I agree keeping Staz makes sense if the Avs are making the dance. I was wondering how much REAL interest the Avs have of resigning him due to McKinnin sp? needing the top 6 roster spot next year?

Old
10-27-2013, 09:19 AM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt911 View Post
I agree keeping Staz makes sense if the Avs are making the dance. I was wondering how much REAL interest the Avs have of resigning him due to McKinnin sp? needing the top 6 roster spot next year?
I would be pumped if Staz was extended. He's become ridiculously under-rated by fans and gives us a three line attack that's hard to contain.

The guy could be a 70pt player if he was given offensive zone starts. He also matches up against to opposition. He's just an unselfish player that I really love having on the team. Doesn't sacrifice defence for offense and does a ton of unheralded things every game that don't show up on the stat sheet.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:

You should check out a thread I made on the Canucks board, analyzing our current pace with our 2010-11 campaign. Granted, it was only eight games in approximately but our production was actually higher now by comparison, and thus far we have demonstrated no signs of an impending decline. If anything, we have only improved with Kesler and Higgins out of their funk.

Our window is fine.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:50 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:

By the definition you just made up?

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote