HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor-Col

Old
10-29-2013, 09:19 AM
phillycheesekessel

vCash: 500
Tor-Col

To Toronto: Erik Johnson + 1st round pick

To Colorado: Dion Phaneuf

To me, this seems pretty obvious. I dont know much about Colorado's needs but I did hear an avs fan say they need more offense from the back end. Dion is capable of providing 40 pts a season, every season, but can also be that dependable guy on the back end who can play 25 minutes a night. For Toronto, we need that defensive plug that can log big minutes, and with the mergence of franson, gardiner, and rielly, we dont need dions offesnsive side as much.

Note: I edited it because the thread posted before i could finish it

phillycheesekessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

vCash: 50
Why would Toronto do this?

And either way, Johnson has been leaps and bounds better this year so I'd rather see what he can do with proper ice time and a coach that puts him in a role more suited for his style of play.

Edit: For the new proposal, hell no from the Avs.

Last edited by Razor29: 10-29-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheesekessel View Post
To Toronto: Erik Johnson

To me, this seems pretty obvious. I dont know much about Colorado's needs but I did hear an avs fan say they need more offense from the back end. Dion is capable of providing 40 pts a season, every season, but can also be that dependable guy on the back end who can play 25 minutes a night.
This is bang on. It is also the reason the Leafs should and will resign him.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:22 AM
ThunderBird

No from this Avs fan.

ThunderBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:23 AM
seancolorado

Why would either side do this?

seancolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:24 AM
russ4king

Quote:
To Toronto: Erik Johnson

To me, this seems pretty obvious. I dont know much about Colorado's needs but I did hear an avs fan say they need more offense from the back end. Dion is capable of providing 40 pts a season, every season, but can also be that dependable guy on the back end who can play 25 minutes a night.
Other than a nice break with cap relief, I do not see why Toronto would do this? Phaneuf is Toronto's best and most important Dman. Johnson at this point does not provide anything close to what Dion does. Just my opinion.

russ4king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:25 AM
phillycheesekessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
This is bang on. It is also the reason the Leafs should and will resign him.
Dont get me wrong, Im not dion hater, I just see the value in trading him because we have players who can fill his role in the near future. I do believe that in the future a top pairing of johnson-rielly would be more effective than phaneuf-rielly. Just my opinion though.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
To Toronto: Erik Johnson + 1st round pick

To me, this seems pretty obvious. I dont know much about Colorado's needs but I did hear an avs fan say they need more offense from the back end. Dion is capable of providing 40 pts a season, every season, but can also be that dependable guy on the back end who can play 25 minutes a night. For Toronto, we need that defensive plug that can log big minutes, and with the mergence of franson, gardiner, and rielly, we dont need dions offesnsive side as much.

Note: I edited it because the thread posted before i could finish it

Not even close to a deal for the Avs. The way Johnson is playing right now, and with his given Cap hit, I wouldn't move him straight across for Phaneuf.

EJ is a completely different player with Roy as coach. He's a complete beast defensively, probably a Top 10 Dman in the league on pure Defense. And Offensively he has been much more involved, joining up in the rush, and creating offense by moving his feet.

EJ goes no where, because at a 3.75M Cap hit for the next 3 years, were looking at an absolute steal of a deal for what looks like a #1 Dman right now.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:30 AM
OfWolfAndMan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 506
As a Leafs fan, I take this and run.

I think Johnson is a pretty capable defender and would probably flourish under a style like Randy Carlyle's. Adding a 1st is a good look too.

This is also in mind that I wouldn't re-sign Phaneuf at the 7M$+ he's apparently looking for. That's almost Shea Weber/Drew Doughty money.

OfWolfAndMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, Im not dion hater, I just see the value in trading him because we have players who can fill his role in the near future. I do believe that in the future a top pairing of johnson-rielly would be more effective than phaneuf-rielly. Just my opinion though.
Who? Who do you see playing 25+minutes shutting down other teams top players/lines while putting up solid offence ALL THE WHILE doing it with sub-par partners? I would be thrilled with a future Phaneuf/Reilly pairing.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:32 AM
phillycheesekessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Not even close to a deal for the Avs. The way Johnson is playing right now, and with his given Cap hit, I wouldn't move him straight across for Phaneuf.

EJ is a completely different player with Roy as coach. He's a complete beast defensively, probably a Top 10 Dman in the league on pure Defense. And Offensively he has been much more involved, joining up in the rush, and creating offense by moving his feet.

EJ goes no where, because at a 3.75M Cap hit for the next 3 years, were looking at an absolute steal of a deal for what looks like a #1 Dman right now.
It seems like you have no idea how capable Dion is. When it comes down to all around play, I give it to Dion 10 times out of 10. However you bring up some good points. This trade works for both teams because dion has great all around play, top 15 defensement in the nhl. The leafs need a DFD type of defenseman. This was the main reason for the proposal, to fix the leafs back end. As well, I just see the value for the avs.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:36 AM
russ4king

Both teams are playing well, I would not make the trade from either stand point. Colorado is finally moving in the right direction....messing with their chemistry is not a good idea. Dion is a very very strong personality, he doesn't get along with everyone. He fits well in Toronto, and they should just stay the course. Unless of course his salary demands are completely outrageous, he will more than likely be resigned.

Not a bad proposal, just doesn't make sense to rock the two boats.

russ4king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:41 AM
phillycheesekessel

Not a bad proposal, just doesn't make sense to rock the two boats.[/QUOTE]

So if we dont trade Dion, then mayble you guys could suggest a #2 D we should be going after

Old
10-29-2013, 09:41 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Erik Johnson (unbelievable contract for 4 years) and our 1st round pick for a guy who can walk at season's end...

Awful.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
It seems like you have no idea how capable Dion is. When it comes down to all around play, I give it to Dion 10 times out of 10. However you bring up some good points. This trade works for both teams because dion has great all around play, top 15 defensement in the nhl. The leafs need a DFD type of defenseman. This was the main reason for the proposal, to fix the leafs back end. As well, I just see the value for the avs.
Of course you do, you're a Leafs fan.

As I said before, awful deal for the Avs. You clearly have no idea how capable EJ is.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:50 AM
phillycheesekessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Of course you do, you're a Leafs fan.

As I said before, awful deal for the Avs. You clearly have no idea how capable EJ is.
Oh I am greatly aware of EJs capabilities. TBH i was unaware of his contract and can understand why you guys dont want to depart from that. Perhaps my original proposal is a tad lopsided. Maybe a straight up trade would have been better.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:58 AM
tucker3434

Ej is signed until 2016 and making under $4m. Phaneuf is a ufa in 2014. I don't make that trade straight up, much less add a first.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Oh I am greatly aware of EJs capabilities. TBH i was unaware of his contract and can understand why you guys dont want to depart from that. Perhaps my original proposal is a tad lopsided. Maybe a straight up trade would have been better.
Straight up would of been closer.

Still, for the Avs why would we move a guy making 3.75M for the next 3 years, who's playing like a #1 Dman both offensively and Defensively, for a guy who will be a UFA at years end, and likely make 6.5M+.

Old
10-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Anthony
HFBoards Sponsor

Neither team does this trade.

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:01 AM
phillycheesekessel

Lets say hypothetically dion was signed to an extension before hand. Can you not see how this trade could benefit both teams given the right value. Im making an attempt to tackle the blue lines. The leafs clearly need a DFD who can play a lot of minute, and the avs could use more offense from the back end.

Old
10-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated

Quote:
Lets say hypothetically dion was signed to an extension before hand. Can you not see how this trade could benefit both teams given the right value. Im making an attempt to tackle the blue lines. The leafs clearly need a DFD who can play a lot of minute, and the avs could use more offense from the back end.
No, Avs fans cannot. The gap between Phaneuf and EJ is simply not large enough. Additionally, EJ has given every indication this year that he could be as good as Phaneuf by his age.

Pual Statsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:13 AM
tucker3434

Quote:
That depends on a lot of hypotheticals. All other things equal, phaneuf is worth more than ej. But if given the option of phaneuf for 3 years at $7m or ej for 3 years at $3.75m, I take ej every time.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:22 AM
cgf

So we trade out best defensemen and a first round pick for an older UFA. Makes sense, do you want MacKinnon to?

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
No thank you, Johnson has been absolutely great this year. And we add our first round pick...all for an impending UFA. Not a chance.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:26 AM
cgf

Quote:
I'd rather keep the younger and cheaper EJ, even if Phaneuf had an extension and the first was removed.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote