HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens vs. Leafs - Fri. 26/03

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2003, 08:20 PM
gbl1p

vCash: 500
Sens vs. Leafs - Fri. 26/03

Anyone catch this game? Good ol' O'Connors isn't shy to chuck on all the pre-season games, in case you're wondering. Let's first establish that both teams were loaded up with AHL guys, as expected. I'm NOT sitting here thinking this was necessarily a projection of things to come, but from what was seen tonight, here's a couple comments to get the ball rolling...

Hossa - Can anyone knock this guy off the puck? I'm dead serious, the guy put on a little clinic tonight, titled "Hey-I-Worked-Out-All-Summer-Now-Watch-Me-Show-How-Much-Better-I-Am-At-Holding-On-To-The-Puck". Tonight leaves me pretty excited to see how he will elevate his play to a domination-style game.

Spezza - Not only was he his usual creative self, creating something spectacular every time he touched the puck, but his skating has been the most notable difference. He really has put a hell of a step on to his skating as he was all over the place tonight.

Vermette - Skating, skating, skating. Beauty goal, what a shift, what a second effort. The first shot that he unleashed, which lead to his goal, surprised me. He's got a very nice release.

Neil - Where was he when Belak wanted to drop the gloves? I'll be the first to say that Belak is one of the scariest scrappers in the East, but Neil is our supposed go-to-tough guy, and when the bell rings ya gotta go. Props to Giroux, and bigger props to Hamel for going right at Perrot after running Lalime (got him the shift after!).

Chara - Tough call with third man in. My guess is that he saw a scuffle happening and jumped in, you can clearly see in the replay that he was not following the skirmish between Bonk and Berg. Nevertheless he was not supposed to jump, and that will cost him a game. Otherwise, Chara made some beauty hits and looked to be sharp enoug before getting chucked from the game.

Old
09-26-2003, 08:29 PM
H2ODP

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbl1p
Neil - Where was he when Belak wanted to drop the gloves? I'll be the first to say that Belak is one of the scariest scrappers in the East, but Neil is our supposed go-to-tough guy, and when the bell rings ya gotta go. Props to Giroux, and bigger props to Hamel for going right at Perrot after running Lalime (got him the shift after!).
It's only preseason. Why risk injury in a meaningless game?

Old
09-26-2003, 08:30 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan11
It's only preseason. Why risk injury in a meaningless game?
Especially after last year

Old
09-27-2003, 02:04 AM
16w

Quote:

Neil - Where was he when Belak wanted to drop the gloves?
well...

Neiler just finished a 40 second shift and was out of breath... then Belak (fresh off the bench) came over and shoved him, so Neil waited a few seconds (obviously intimidated and not wanting to anger the barbarian) before pushing back so the linesmen could break it up right away. if neil didnt use his head, belak would have pounded him.

belak is a savage animal.... i hate him, he cant do anything but fight, hook and hold. he's way too big for a guy chris neil's size to fight. im waiting for the domi and neil fight round.. uhhh five on november 29th

Old
09-27-2003, 10:33 AM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by w17glen
well to all you otawaawaa fans is this your year to win the cup? NEVER 1st round lose to the leafs AGAIN
It's been a big day for you, huh. Your first 25 posts all in a matter of hours. Well, hopefully you'll get your afternoon nap, or else mom and dad are gonna have a grumpy kiddo on their hands. You've already littered the Leafs forum with nonsense - Honestly, please keep it out of here.

Old
09-27-2003, 11:22 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
It's been a big day for you, huh. Your first 25 posts all in a matter of hours. Well, hopefully you'll get your afternoon nap, or else mom and dad are gonna have a grumpy kiddo on their hands. You've already littered the Leafs forum with nonsense - Honestly, please keep it out of here.
Just ignore him. I can safely say we're trying to do the same at the Leafs board

Old
09-27-2003, 01:31 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by w17glen
my nonsense? wait your a sens fan know wonder
It's true. *All* those who watch the Sens play know wonder.

Other Dave

Old
09-27-2003, 04:00 PM
Epoch

Quote:

yes ,but Perrott sure did hold his own! It does seem Neil is scared of Belak,he'd fight anyone else on the Leafs but Belak...

Old
09-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Epoch

but anyways, congrats to the Sens.

Old
09-27-2003, 06:02 PM
yintin

Perrott is one tough mf. He's a good fighter...no talent play wise really but he can chuck 'em.

Didn't Brookbank go with Belak? If so, how was the outcome?

Neil has got to stop trying to be Gretz and start taking on more guys.
If the call is there, take it.

Old
09-28-2003, 04:06 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I will admit to not having seen the game, but only the "highlights" on TSN.
What was tucker doing out there tonight ? I mean does he really have anything to prove to leafs management ? I think not. Darcy take a chill pill and save the serious stuff for when it matters please.

Was Volchenkov even in possession of the puck when darcy hit him ?

Well Saint J certainly got its moneyworth tonight.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:19 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-TWѤ
yes ,but Perrott sure did hold his own! It does seem Neil is scared of Belak,he'd fight anyone else on the Leafs but Belak...
Was at the game... Perrott definitely agitated, but in a pretty degenerate fashion. I give him credit for taking care of his own when the gloves were dropped, but tactics like flagrantly running the goaltender are pretty classless. Frankly, I was more impressed that a more offensive player like Hamel went right after him than I was that a guy with several 200+PIM years (including a 300+PIM year) in the IHL/AHL managed to hold his own.

As for Belak, I find him to be one of the last examples of a pure goon left in all of hockey. Intimidating? Sure. Too bad he can't play hockey. It's just my opinion, of course, but he strikes me as exactly the type of player that the Leafs can't afford to waste roster spots on if they actually want to take a run at a Cup.

The Giroux-Pushor fight was great - a very entertaining tilt. I'd give Pushor a slight edge overall, but Giroux certainly put in a good showing.

Closed Thread