HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Can Malkin ever regain his form?

Old
10-26-2013, 09:42 PM
chanceoffleury

vCash: 500
The Pens have been missing James Neal HARD this week. Malkin has been missing him even more. They make each other better. He's eligible to play after today so hopefully he starts practicing next week. On the bright side, the Pens haven't had many losing streaks the last 3 seasons and so they'd shutdown as soon as they started struggling in the playoffs. I think this adversity will help the team as a whole learn to bounce back and dig deep to get back on track.

Last edited by chanceoffleury: 10-26-2013 at 09:50 PM.
chanceoffleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:52 PM
LOLKarlsson*

What' with all the "roaring back" threads and comments?

LOLKarlsson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
We are 10 games into the season not a huge sample size but decent enough and Malkin again looks to be putting up another subpar season.. for a player with his cap hit that really is unacceptable.

What is wrong with Malkin? He is supposed to be part of the big 3.. but is being left in the dust by Ovechkin and Crosby again.

So i ask you HFboards.. Can Malkin ever regain his form?

You look at his numbers from the past few previous years and they are not all that impressive.. a great year in 11-12 but other then that..eh.. injuries have been a problem sure.. but it is not like he was setting the world on fire either before them.
Evgeni Who? The guys washed up no way in hell he's going to bounce back, he will get bought out at the end of next season and join Kovy in the KHL, because he's becoming a fringe NHL player.....

Honestly people need to stop with these types of threads, there just a joke, he will bounce back obviously the guy has to much talent and is on to good of a team, people need to give there head a shake, how is Ovechkin doing? Because at the beginning of last year he was washed up and was never going to be good again, well look he's bounced back obviously...

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Malkin actually has a bit more right for excuses than most stars, because he's been playing with below average wingers for the better part of his career. Guys who say that because he won Art Ross with Fedotenko he doesn't need better linemates are just insane.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:04 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stad View Post

Malkin has this so i could really give a **** about MVP's.
so this proves Malkin is a superior player? for being on a better team? Malkin did earn that trophy but Ovechkins trophy case is more impressive

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Zine

Malkin should've left Pittsburgh.

He'd be #1 center on every other team in the league, but he's stuck behind Crosby and played with 3/4th line wingers his whole career.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Tuomaz

Malkin and Crosby have ways to go before they have near the trophys Ovie has. I think Ovie will leave both of them on the dust.

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Malkin should've left Pittsburgh.

He'd be #1 center on every other team in the league, but he's stuck behind Crosby and played with 3/4th line wingers his whole career.
He doesn't wanna be 'the guy' on another team though, he's stated that many times.

James Neal and Beau Bennett/Jussi Jokinen are 3rd n 4th line wingers?

Stad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:47 PM
JayRosehillforMVP
snubbed again

I can't fathom how someone could possibly think Ovechkin is better that Malkin. Malkins a genuine threat in every situation, whereas Ovi is one of the most one-dimensional players there is. He racks up points because his shots as good as ever ,but he can't score off the rush or produce offense anywhere near at the level he used to. If you truly think he's better than Malkin you either:
A: are lying
or
B: don't watch games and read stat sheets

JayRosehillforMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:50 PM
DrDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
so this proves Malkin is a superior player? for being on a better team? Malkin did earn that trophy but Ovechkins trophy case is more impressive
Malkin's 09 playoff performance is one of the greatest in history. The Penguins were a better team that year because of Malkin. Theres a difference between the superior player and the more decorated player. Ovechkin hasn't matched that level yet IMO, neither has Crosby for that matter.

In my eyes Malkin's A-game is the most dominant in the league, that makes him the superior player for me. But Ovi and Sid are undoubtedly more consistent in terms of production.

DrDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:59 PM
The Folignorant One
Subby Dubby Doooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
It is, I'll leave that to the fanboys...
Yeah, fanboys..

You mean hockey fans, right? Why wouldn't people compare or talk about the 2 best Russians active, who are also 2 of the best 3 players active, who play for teams/fanbases that don't really like each other.

But I guess we're all just fanboys, yeah?

The Folignorant One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Nazemlupul

vCash: 50
Everytime I watch him he seems lazy. Always makes bad passes but when you look at the scoreboard he's got a goal and an assist.

Nazemlupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:24 PM
gdsmack267

Both his wingers have been hurt.

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Beastly Bozak

got completely shut down by Kadri tonight. Wouldn't put malkin in the top 5 C in the league anymore, would barely even put him in the top 10 behind crosby, stamkos, datsyuk, tavares, duchene, kadri, etc.

Beastly Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Bozak View Post
got completely shut down by Kadri tonight. Wouldn't put malkin in the top 5 C in the league anymore, would barely even put him in the top 10 behind crosby, stamkos, datsyuk, tavares, duchene, kadri, etc.

Stad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Beastly Bozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stad View Post
from the small sample size that is this season, its actually homer not to agree with what i said...

Beastly Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:44 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Folignorant One View Post
Yeah, fanboys..

You mean hockey fans, right? Why wouldn't people compare or talk about the 2 best Russians active, who are also 2 of the best 3 players active, who play for teams/fanbases that don't really like each other.

But I guess we're all just fanboys, yeah?
It's just tedious. It's all been argued to death. They're both superb and, yet, different. "Hockey fans" can appreciate that. Pens and Caps fans bickering, endlessly and unimaginatively, about their guy being the bestest and most divinely awesome ever is fanboy crap.

Wow, look at all of Ovie's trophies! Geno's got a Cup! Awesome! is right.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:55 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Nobody but ovechkin can "roar back" on HF, he does it yearly.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Blair

Send a message via AIM to Blair Send a message via MSN to Blair
Quote:
from the small sample size that is this season, its actually homer not to agree with what i said...

Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Paxton Fettel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
It's just tedious. It's all been argued to death. They're both superb and, yet, different. "Hockey fans" can appreciate that. Pens and Caps fans bickering, endlessly and unimaginatively, about their guy being the bestest and most divinely awesome ever is fanboy crap.

Wow, look at all of Ovie's trophies! Geno's got a Cup! Awesome! is right.
Cup? A hart, 2 art ross, a conn smythe ...

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:06 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah because judging people in the few games this season that the have been this season makes sense. To say that Kadri is better than Malkin is absurd.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:10 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
I'm sure Malkin gets past that sad feeling of a lighter trophy case when he looks at his Stanley Cup ring, you know...the ultimate goal for an NHL'er.

For some weird reason, Malkin is pulling a Crosby and starting off slow while Crosby is starting the season on a hot streak. Malkin gets a big game and he's usually fine after that, for now, he's adjusting to a new winger every game it seems, it's either Kobasew, or is Bennett, or D'Agostini, etc with Jokinen being mostly a mainstay there and hopefully he stays there when Neal is back as well. It's tough to play your game when you have no chemistry with a player and lack that puck support also that mystery of "what are that winger's tendencies?"

I'd like to see Bylsma try a Kunitz-Malkin-Jokinen line, but he refuses to break up Sid's line.

I'm not 100% convinced his shoulder is fine, he's not shooting the puck as much as he usually does, Sid almost has 10 more shots on goal than Geno does, that is a little odd. I think Malkin right now is forcing plays and trying to get his wingers going, he's taken on the "I need to make these wingers better" mentality, rather than just doing his thing and finding his wingers when he needs to make something happen on the ice with them. Neal is a huge missing piece on that line because they know where each other are on the ice, they feed off of each other.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:16 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Wouldn't be too worried if I were a penguins fan

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:21 AM
HappyGilmourr

Would offer kessel + jvr for malkin... Hell would even throw in bozak if they give us dupuis

jvr - crosby - kessel
neal - sutter - kunitz

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:21 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Would offer kessel + jvr for malkin... Hell would even throw in bozak if they give us dupuis

jvr - crosby - kessel
neal - sutter - kunitz
Malkin only gets moved if he asks to be, he's a Penguins lifer. I mean something insane would need to happen for him to want out.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote