HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Untradeable Players

Old
10-26-2013, 07:22 PM
russ4king

vCash: 500
Untradeable Players

After reading a number of posts the last few weeks I was wondering how many untradeable players there are playing in the NHL today. Not untouchable players, but players because of a combo of their play and/or length and term of their contract essentially make them immovable.

Here is my list:
Roberto Luongo
Shea Weber
Marian Hossa
Johan Franzen
Stephen Weiss
Rick Nash
Brad Richards
Jordan Staal
JM Liles
Vinny Lecavalier
Mark Streit
Travis Zajac
Ryne Clowe
Anton Volchenkov
Tyler Myers
Christian Erhoff
Vile Leino
Brian Campbell
Ed Jovanovski

That's my take. Some of the players are still good or great, but contracts are just too onerous to move despite their play. Some guys just aren't performing and have big deals. I omitted guys like Savard and Pronger who are on LTIR. Thoughts?

russ4king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:29 PM
oceanchild

Well I think Nash was just traded, Campbell would be in demand in the right situation.

Jordan Staal
Marian Hossa
Shea Weber

Are very traceable, depending on what the team expects back.

oceanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Connor McJesus
Praise

I'm sure NJ would receive big offers for Zajac.

Connor McJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:39 PM
russ4king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
I'm sure NJ would receive big offers for Zajac.
8 years at 5.75m cap hit for a 40 point centre? Sorry that is a horrible contract for very average production.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ4king View Post
After reading a number of posts the last few weeks I was wondering how many untradeable players there are playing in the NHL today. Not untouchable players, but players because of a combo of their play and/or length and term of their contract essentially make them immovable.

Here is my list:
Roberto Luongo
Marian Hossa
Johan Franzen
Stephen Weiss
Brad Richards
JM Liles
Vinny Lecavalier
Mark Streit
Travis Zajac
Ryne Clowe
Anton Volchenkov
Tyler Myers
Christian Erhoff
Vile Leino
Brian Campbell
Ed Jovanovski
David Clarkson
Mattias Ohlund

That's my take. Some of the players are still good or great, but contracts are just too onerous to move despite their play. Some guys just aren't performing and have big deals. I omitted guys like Savard and Pronger who are on LTIR. Thoughts?
I added in Clarkson. I doubt he would be taken off waivers. Ohlund is perma LTIR who hasnt been called out on it yet.

I took Weber Nash Staal off . Weber for a couple more years. Once he is 32 his contract will make him virtually untradeable.

Jordan doesnt want to go but could go if the situation was right. Nash is worth far less now than when he was traded to New York but still worth a first round pick despite his huge overblown contract.

Marion Hossa is 34 years old and is worth way more to the Hawks than anyone would pay at this point for that cap circumvention contract.

I would suspect Martin St Louis is untradeable because he would retire before going anywhere else but Im not convinced enough to stick him on the list.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:45 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Avs SHOULD take Campbell. That is a big contract for teams to take on though.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:46 PM
russ4king

Yup I can see the Clarkson Add.

The reason I threw Weber on is because his deal is so front loaded, the cap recapture penalty is going to kill any team the last few years of his deal. Nothing to do with his skill. His contract is just so horrible under the new CBA.

Staal has 10 more years with a 6m cap hit. So far he has not shown anywhere that he is worth that much. He's only 25, but it seems like way too much money and term for a 2nd line centre.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
All I can say on behalf of SoCal Ducks fans through Facebook. Is Etem ain't going anywhere add that to the list .

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:49 PM
russ4king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
All I can say on behalf of SoCal Ducks fans through Facebook. Is Etem ain't going anywhere add that to the list .
Not untouchable players....players who are untradeable....as in no one would take them.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:51 PM
aemoreira1981

Rick Nash is tradeable if you ask me, although salary would likely have to be retained. His contract goes to when he is 34. Jordan Staal's contract, while 10 years long, also expires at age 34; however, he is playing with his older brother, which means that he would have more value to Carolina than to another team.

aemoreira1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Connor McJesus
Praise

Quote:
8 years at 5.75m cap hit for a 40 point centre? Sorry that is a horrible contract for very average production.
Very good in all other aspects of the game and offensively he's in a terrible context in NJ.

Connor McJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Virtanev
+

vCash: 50
I'd most certainly offer something of value for Shea Weber or Marian Hossa.

OP Genasis: have you guys thought people are starting to get tired of Team Curl's antics? 21:56

Virtanev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:55 PM
russ4king

And the thing about Nash is that yes, if he gets healthy, he can still be a 60-70 pt player. But because his cap hit is so high, any team acquiring him would have to unload nearly 8m in contracts to make room for him. With so many teams so close to the cap, I just don't see that size of transaction happening. Most teams that have the room today to take him on, either have their own internal budget and can't afford him, or are rebuilding and it would make little sense to pick up an expensive vet.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Not untouchable players....players who are untradeable....as in no one would take them.
Thanks for clarifying. It is a Saturday. People drinking and stinking. My fault enjoy your self hockey fans!

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:58 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
could you guys get together and read the OP?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:02 PM
russ4king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
I'd most certainly offer something of value for Shea Weber or Marian Hossa.
Both players now are full value...it is the cap recapture that I think is going to scare off all teams. Both contracts were designed under the old CBA to circumvent the cap. Both teams are going to feel the brunt of it the last few years of deal when it is expected both players will be retired.

Old
10-26-2013, 08:04 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Dany Heatley

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:14 PM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Quote:
This. 100 times this!

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Tripod

Quote:

Here is my list:
Roberto Luongo
Shea Weber
Marian Hossa
Johan Franzen
Stephen Weiss
Rick Nash
Brad Richards
Jordan Staal
JM Liles
Vinny Lecavalier
Mark Streit
Travis Zajac
Ryne Clowe
Anton Volchenkov
Tyler Myers
Christian Erhoff
Vile Leino
Brian Campbell
Ed Jovanovski

Philly says thank you very much!!! Vinny with a hat-trick, Streit with 2 Assists. You helped break them out of slumps.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:25 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yup I can see the Clarkson Add.

The reason I threw Weber on is because his deal is so front loaded, the cap recapture penalty is going to kill any team the last few years of his deal. Nothing to do with his skill. His contract is just so horrible under the new CBA.

Staal has 10 more years with a 6m cap hit. So far he has not shown anywhere that he is worth that much. He's only 25, but it seems like way too much money and term for a 2nd line centre.
Weber is extremely tradable because UFA contract is so front loaded that Nashville gets stuck with the hit they have paid, the rest of his contract works out. If he gets traded this year and plays until 37/38 the new team is covered.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Cam Ward, I don't see anyone taking on his contract.

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:44 PM
russ4king

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Weber is extremely tradable because UFA contract is so front loaded that Nashville gets stuck with the hit they have paid, the rest of his contract works out. If he gets traded this year and plays until 37/38 the new team is covered.
I see your logic, but your math if off a bit. Weber's deal is front loaded until 2018/19 when his actual salary drops from 12m to 6m. So at that point yes he might still be worth a 7.8m cap hit as a 33 year old. The team acquiring him would have no recapture penalty as his cap hit is higher than his actual salary.

However, if he was traded by Nashville in 2018/19 and he played 5 more years until he was 38 then retired, Nashville would have a cap recapture penalty of 6m per year for 3 years until his contract would have expired. Either way the Flyers screwed them up really good.

Old
10-26-2013, 08:54 PM
russ4king

Now my math is off...it would be 8m cap recapture for the final three years of his deal. So Nashville really can't afford to trade him either. So screwed.

Old
10-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Read the damn thread and Etem is not untouchable.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:06 PM
candyman82

Probably RJ Umberger

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote