HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is David Desharnais doing in the NHL ??

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2013, 01:12 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
This is the perspective that many miss. The Habs have the fewest players that speak the fanbase language of any team in the NHL, yet many complain as if it's the opposite.

Montréal needs a few Francos and there's no reason we shouldn't, it's just a drag we don't have good ones right now. Wasn't there a stretch of a few years where we almost seemed to be avoiding Québécois players at the draft?
What an embarrassing argument. No team 'needs' their players to speak any language except the language that they need to communicate with their coach and teammates. You might like it if they speak a language you understand, but then you're putting your own wants as a fan over the needs of the team, which is childish

And in any case, this is a DD thread, not a 'discuss the french gm/coach thing' thread. Lets get back on topic.

Old
10-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
No way it's that high. And it is important to qualify the term "fanbase" a kid in Denmark who likes the Habs because he likes Eller is not going to go out and buy season tickets or even drink Molson, business-wise his value is not as high for the team as a local fan.
I dunno. Between world-wide merchandising, TV deals, and Centre Ice, the dollar signs might suggest otherwise. There are only what, 8 million people in Quebec, and a few thousand season ticket holders to compete with across the globe? You alone probably met at least half a dozen ex-pat Habs fans in Japan, for example. How many paid for satellite TV packages with channels that carried some games? I did. I could introduce you to at least a half dozen more where I lived that did/do, too. I'd imagine Scandinavia and a lot of the rest of Europe carry significant weight, let alone the many who find themselves in the US these days. Part of the growing of the game (as certainly represented by salary levels) is that, for better or worse, the local financial contribution becomes proportionally minimized. Crucial revenue generation on many levels, just a smaller slice of the necessary pie.

But it's important to point out that we're not even talking about access to different information (just the way in which it is presented and consumed), nor any increased restriction on access to the coach, because the translation aspect is the easy part to deal with. And for the record, I was most excited about the possibility of Roy coaching the Habs, which would have been amusing to me in either language.

Old
10-28-2013, 01:47 PM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
You appear to be a bright dude and are mostly an interesting poster. But, please, take out the tinfoil.
I'm sorry your position in the habs organization is what exactly? He is bringing up the fact that it could be a possibility. Just like the reason the habs have a crap goal song is obviously related to the french language issue, if not, I suggest you listen to it. So, it's not out of the realm to think there are other factors affecting on ice decisions as well. Did he say that's the ONLY reason? No, but he merely suggested it is a possibility, which it is.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:07 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I dunno. Between world-wide merchandising, TV deals, and Centre Ice, the dollar signs might suggest otherwise. There are only what, 8 million people in Quebec, and a few thousand season ticket holders to compete with across the globe? You alone probably met at least half a dozen ex-pat Habs fans in Japan, for example. How many paid for satellite TV packages with channels that carried some games? I did. I could introduce you to at least a half dozen more where I lived that did/do, too. I'd imagine Scandinavia and a lot of the rest of Europe carry significant weight, let alone the many who find themselves in the US these days. Part of the growing of the game (as certainly represented by salary levels) is that, for better or worse, the local financial contribution becomes proportionally minimized. Crucial revenue generation on many levels, just a smaller slice of the necessary pie.

But it's important to point out that we're not even talking about access to different information (just the way in which it is presented and consumed), nor any increased restriction on access to the coach, because the translation aspect is the easy part to deal with. And for the record, I was most excited about the possibility of Roy coaching the Habs, which would have been amusing to me in either language.
I would have loved Roy behind the bench.

I think you're stretching it with the 90% of Habs fans are outside Qc claim, but sure I see the international reach of the Habs, it is stronger than most teams for a number of reasons, Mtl is a cosmopolitan city, the traditional home of hockey, Habs have the most championships, lots of Euro players, etc etc. When my Scottish buddy in Tokyo decided to follow hockey he picked the Habs as his team due to their glorious history.

But for sure Quebec is the heart of the Habs fanbase (and I'd say generates the lions' share of their business). And just as all teams like locals, Habs deserve a few Francos, because Qc is actually a hockey-player-producing place.

We deserve better Francos we don't deserve David D that extension was a mistake in hindsight.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:18 PM
CarrePrisme

Soooooooooo...what about Desharnais?

Old
10-28-2013, 02:28 PM
lostriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrePrisme View Post
Soooooooooo...what about Desharnais?
still remains AHL player with great NHL contract.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:33 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostriver View Post
still remains AHL player with great NHL contract.
Not the first one, nor the last one in the History of the NHL. Each team right now have a couple of players like DD to get rid of.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:46 PM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

I think DD can bounce back.

I've been a huge Smurfs defender, no matter the nationality, but at some point smurfs gotta contribute. Sadly, there are other smurfs that are doing almost nil as well, Gionta, Bouillon, Diaz, Brière, those are extremely painful to watch. I'm a huge Habs fan though I will never spit on them like some do on DD, but God damn they look washed up and so soft... Hopefully bergevin gets it for next years, don't bring in moar Smurfs. Bouillon out, Gionta out unless he comes with a discount, Diaz on a one year contract as 7th D, Brière *sigh*.

If DD don't start producing soon I'd try to put him down in the AHL and then if he gets claimed, good riddance. That is IF he don't start producing. I'd give him another 10-15 games to earn at least a goal and 0.6 PPG over those 10-15 games.

The whole situation reminds me of Mariusz Czerkawski - Habs version. There was just nothing he could do right for the Habs. Hopefully DD can turn it around. Mariusz went to greener pasture (for him).

Old
10-28-2013, 02:50 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post

I've been a huge Smurfs defender, no matter the nationality, but at some point smurfs gotta contribute. Sadly, there are other smurfs that are doing almost nil as well, Gionta, Bouillon, Diaz, Brière, those are extremely painful to watch. I'm a huge Habs fan though I will never spit on them like some do on DD, but God damn they look washed up and so soft... Hopefully bergevin gets it for next years, don't bring in moar Smurfs. Bouillon out, Gionta out unless he comes with a discount, Diaz on a one year contract as 7th D, Brière *sigh*.

If DD don't start producing soon I'd try to put him down in the AHL and then if he gets claimed, good riddance. That is IF he don't start producing. I'd give him another 10-15 games to earn at least a goal and 0.6 PPG over those 10-15 games.

The whole situation reminds me of Mariusz Czerkawski - Habs version. There was just nothing he could do right for the Habs. Hopefully DD can turn it around. Mariusz went to greener pasture (for him).
DD needs to play with two strong, big and fast enough wingers, with at least one of them strong on D.

I would give him another chance with MaxPac and Bourque.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinorDiaz View Post
DD needs to play with two strong, big and fast enough wingers, with at least one of them strong on D.

I would give him another chance with MaxPac and Bourque.
We can't have our best winger playing with our worst center. As much as I'd to see MaxPac help out DD, I'd rather see us win games with our best LW playing on our top line.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:56 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
We can't have our best winger playing with our worst center. As much as I'd to see MaxPac help out DD, I'd rather see us win games with our best LW playing on our top line.
So far, we still have the two Gallys with Eller, and Plekky, Gio and Bournival. These two lines play good enough together. MaxPac can help both DD and Bourque get into a groove.

Worth a try.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Demotion? I said with Plekanec or DD. Or Bournival or whoever. Whatever the better fit is.

And please on DD penalty. I've seen Eller get icings for no reason and penalties at bad times. DD has 2 minors in 11 games. So yah, let's relax here.

As for Bourque, why not bourque and Gallagher? Just wondering.
Well I figured if not with Desharnais why would it be mentioned it in a Desharnais thread haha.

Well if we're talking immediate results here wouldn't a recent penalty leading to opposition GWG be a factor in the discussion? Eller and Galchenyuk, both linemates from last season, have been producing not just this season but since last season. The point of course is some leeway should be given in this case. Not Desharnais-Pacioretty duo leeway that was bordering on embarrassing but enough leeway/credit to compensate for that line's success together last season and this season. Not sure I agree with breaking them up after a few scoreless games. They aren't stars to be scoring every game but they do create chances and matched up positively against top opposition thus far.

Eller has been punished though countless times over the last couple seasons. Subban would get blasted publicly if his penalty led to GWG. Desharnais = here we'll demote players from the top 6 for you since you clearly not good enough to be half decent with linemates Plekanec gets on multiple occasions. This isn't exactly a 1 year thing either where you can let him off without accountability...DD has been struggling for a long time. If fact, I'd argue the best he's played since signing that extension is probably with Bourque and Moen. Exact number since signing extension:

38 games
2 goals
12 assists
14 points

I don't even want to know how many of those points were PP 2nd assists. Aside from about 5-6 games, that production has been majority been with top PP minutes and linemates. If there's such thing as accountability for him, the next step should be even worse linemates - ie 4th line/bench - not better linemates again. Either that or try him at LW.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 10-28-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old
10-28-2013, 03:21 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
I'm sorry your position in the habs organization is what exactly? He is bringing up the fact that it could be a possibility. Just like the reason the habs have a crap goal song is obviously related to the french language issue, if not, I suggest you listen to it. So, it's not out of the realm to think there are other factors affecting on ice decisions as well. Did he say that's the ONLY reason? No, but he merely suggested it is a possibility, which it is.
in Quebec alone, there's hundreds of new pop songs in french every single year, language is definitely not an excuse for picking such a crappy goal song.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post

How? Czerkawski was brilliant before he joined the Habs. Desharnais had one 60 point season in the NHL with the Habs and not shown anything since playing with two guys who had career years.

I hope he bounces back. He falls down enough that, if he got back on his feet faster, hallelujah.

Old
10-28-2013, 04:08 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
How? Czerkawski was brilliant before he joined the Habs. Desharnais had one 60 point season in the NHL with the Habs and not shown anything since playing with two guys who had career years.

I hope he bounces back. He falls down enough that, if he got back on his feet faster, hallelujah.
Czerkawski had 2 60+ points seasons in 8 full seasons before joining the Habs, seasons during which he was -16 and -24, respectively. Granted, that's one more season than DD. But he also had 7 full seasons more than DD to achieve this.

I wouldn't exactly call that performance "brilliant".

But The Polish Prince was acquired via trade, for a player that wasn't that great to begin with (Asham), which makes things somewhat different I guess.

Old
10-28-2013, 04:23 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
This is the perspective that many miss. The Habs have the fewest players that speak the fanbase language of any team in the NHL, yet many complain as if it's the opposite.

Montréal needs a few Francos and there's no reason we shouldn't, it's just a drag we don't have good ones right now. Wasn't there a stretch of a few years where we almost seemed to be avoiding Québécois players at the draft?
That's because they're the only team that's fanbase isn't primarily English, this point means nothing.

Old
10-28-2013, 05:57 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Well I figured if not with Desharnais why would it be mentioned it in a Desharnais thread haha.

Well if we're talking immediate results here wouldn't a recent penalty leading to opposition GWG be a factor in the discussion? Eller and Galchenyuk, both linemates from last season, have been producing not just this season but since last season. The point of course is some leeway should be given in this case. Not Desharnais-Pacioretty duo leeway that was bordering on embarrassing but enough leeway/credit to compensate for that line's success together last season and this season. Not sure I agree with breaking them up after a few scoreless games. They aren't stars to be scoring every game but they do create chances and matched up positively against top opposition thus far.

Eller has been punished though countless times over the last couple seasons. Subban would get blasted publicly if his penalty led to GWG. Desharnais = here we'll demote players from the top 6 for you since you clearly not good enough to be half decent with linemates Plekanec gets on multiple occasions. This isn't exactly a 1 year thing either where you can let him off without accountability...DD has been struggling for a long time. If fact, I'd argue the best he's played since signing that extension is probably with Bourque and Moen. Exact number since signing extension:

38 games
2 goals
12 assists
14 points

I don't even want to know how many of those points were PP 2nd assists. Aside from about 5-6 games, that production has been majority been with top PP minutes and linemates. If there's such thing as accountability for him, the next step should be even worse linemates - ie 4th line/bench - not better linemates again. Either that or try him at LW.
You realize we played 11 games and the EGG line has been pretty dry for 7-8 of 11 right?

The idea is not to punish anyone, you know that. It's simple. Both lines aren't clicking, why not make a change? If EGG was rolling and DD needed to be helped, I'd understand but I really don't see why not. What's the harm?

Does it NEED to happen? No. It's just a proposition considering both lines aren't on fire at the moment. Little change to spark the lines.

DD has played 38 games since signing the extension. Is this playoffs too or just regular season? Either way, those numbers are terrible. Let's hope for the sake of that contract he picks it up.

If we need to bench/minors/4th line. Go for it. The idea is to improve the team. I just try to think of optimizing what we have and trying to get them all clicking. I feel DD on his game(we've seen some solid flashes this season even, one game he was excellent). An easy solution is buyout/minors but cap implications, free agent implications, etc... all suck. Not to mention, if there's an injury and you single out a player, slotting him back in may not yield great results. It always depends but I prefer to exhaust your options before reaching that point. If it gets there, so be it.

Old
10-28-2013, 07:02 PM
macavoy

Quote:
But for sure Quebec is the heart of the Habs fanbase (and I'd say generates the lions' share of their business). And just as all teams like locals, Habs deserve a few Francos, because Qc is actually a hockey-player-producing place.

We deserve better Francos we don't deserve David D that extension was a mistake in hindsight.
Let me start by saying, I appreciate your honesty. You are the first person I've seen posting that people want franco's and quebecers. I understand the importance of culture and pride, I understand the reasoning behind and understand, its about preserving and maintaining your culture and language.

But I don't understand why you would want that in modern sports. Modern sports is about winning. I don't understand why you would want a francophone Briere who was concussed twice over someone like Jagr. Or someone like Bouillon or DD. The sad part is, the local french people that will sign here will only do so at the tail end of their career. Especially after Briere supposedly snubbed the Habs when he signed for less in Philly, why would francophones welcome him?

I just don't get it. Can you help me understand please.

Old
10-28-2013, 07:34 PM
DAChampion

The Habs should try and get good francophone players.

I would take Pouliot and Leblanc and Lapierre over little DD and Briere and Dumont.

Old
10-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Shaby23

Buy him out already. SOooooooo ****ing useless.

Old
10-28-2013, 09:24 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The Habs should try and get good francophone players.

I would take Pouliot and Leblanc and Lapierre over little DD and Briere and Dumont.
Dumont isn't even on the habs roster.

Old
10-28-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
Buy him out already. SOooooooo ****ing useless.
Calling him useless is a compliment. The stupid decoration my mom puts in the living room is useless. David Desharnais is more than useless, he hurts this team. He's like a ****ing mosquito. A 3.5 million dollars a year mosquito. **** I hate this guy.

Old
10-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Dumont isn't even on the habs roster.
That may be his point..

Old
10-28-2013, 09:29 PM
WakeUpNHL

Damn, let's get back on topic.
Once again DD is just an inch sort, a half second too slow... just like a few of the posters on this thread!

Old
10-28-2013, 09:31 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Damn, let's get back on topic.
Once again DD is just an inch sort, a half second too slow... just like a few of the posters on this thread!
... Is that a dick joke?

Closed Thread