HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Letang?

Old
10-26-2013, 10:00 PM
dannyj10

vCash: 500
Letang?

Not that i don't love Letang but what other dmen would get the Pens a top winger? Pens need secondary scoring like crazy. Sid can't carry the team the whole time till Neal comes back and Geno gets back on track.

dannyj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Nazem To Kessel

something around Lupul? How has he been this season?

id offer Lupul + Franson +

How do you guys value him?

Nazem To Kessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:21 PM
TorontoTrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafs81 View Post

Add losing Dion on top of any offer... no way could they pay Phaneuf if they took on Letangs contract

dont think its a realistic move for TO

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Nazem To Kessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoTrades View Post
Add losing Dion on top of any offer... no way could they pay Phaneuf if they took on Letangs contract

dont think its a realistic move for TO
if we could add liles in the deal i could see it tbh

Nazem To Kessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:

Leafs need pure shutdown defenders, trading the heart and soul of the team for Letang doesn't make sense in the grand scheme of things. Obviously Letang is a great weapon but with so many offensive defensemen already here it would simply be an upgrade offensively, not the leafs weakness at all. The cap also makes it nearly impossible.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Mapleleafs Fan*

We can't afford him without loosing Liles. And dump is not what Pens can afford.

Mapleleafs Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:28 PM
TorontoTrades

Phaneuf, Kulemin +
For
Letang

What does Toronto add? Pick? Prospect?

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Phaneuf, Kulemin +
For
Letang

So they deal Letang for 2 UFAs?

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
He made his season debut yesterday, so too soon to say. His brain and his play seem to be a page apart right now.

I don't see a way in hell that Letang is dealt before his contract even kicks in. FWIW once the new deal does kick in he has a partial NTC where he can submit a list of 12 teams he wouldn't accept a trade to before each season.

Letang's value is pretty damn huge, but there's no way Shero even considers parting with him unless/until one of the youngsters shows that they are capable of being a #1 defenseman in this league...especially because I expect two veteran defenders to disappear from the roster by the 4th of July with Orpik & Niskanen set to become UFAs.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 02:55 AM
Riptide

Quote:

Just a note Letangs cap hit this year is 3.5m, and the Pens are right up against the cap.

Honestly, I'd rather have JVR than Lupul. Both are in their mid 20s. Makes more sense than Lupul.

10-27-2013, 02:57 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Phaneuf, Kulemin +
For
Letang

This isn't even close. Phaneufs value to the Leafs is higher than what someone would trade for him.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 02:58 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Sbisa, Fasth/Hiller, Palmeiri, Holland and some picks

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 03:24 AM
LOLKarlsson*

Don't want...

My *opinion* is that his real life value is nowhere near what it would be on this forum.

LOLKarlsson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 03:25 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLKarlsson View Post
Don't want...

My *opinion* is that his real life value is nowhere near what it would be on this forum.
It's helluva lot higher than anyone is willing to admit here, that's for damn sure. Consider what Goligoski brought back and Whitney, Letang is better than both of them and let's not pretend he wasn't just nominated for the Norris last season and act like that doesn't increase his value either, that and he's signed long term, is still very young and a guy that is a top 5 point producer out of defensemen.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 03:30 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks Nation View Post
Sbisa, Fasth/Hiller, Palmeiri, Holland and some picks
I'd rather have a better young defenseman than Sbisa. I haven't really seen much of Sbisa though, not in a while, he's also been hurt this year so that doesn't help seeing how much he's improved this year.

Old
10-27-2013, 03:36 AM
LOLKarlsson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
It's helluva lot higher than anyone is willing to admit here, that's for damn sure. Consider what Goligoski brought back and Whitney, Letang is better than both of them and let's not pretend he wasn't just nominated for the Norris last season and act like that doesn't increase his value either, that and he's signed long term, is still very young and a guy that is a top 5 point producer out of defensemen.
I don't want a defensive liability, at over 7m a year until 2020. Letang would have no place on my team, and I wouldn't make room for his cap if you gave him to me for free.

Take him off the PP with Crosby and Malkin, and his numbers drop significantly. And what you're left with is a 45ish point, one dimensional dman. Not interested.

That doesn't mean other teams wouldn't be interested. Just not my team.

Old
10-27-2013, 03:36 AM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
Letang on the backend is probably equally as valuable offensively as a top winger would be aside Crosby with no Letang in back, ever think about that?

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 03:40 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
I don't want a defensive liability, at over 7m a year until 2020. Letang would have no place on my team, and I wouldn't make room for his cap if you gave him to me for free.

Take him off the PP with Crosby and Malkin, and his numbers drop significantly. And what you're left with is a 45ish point, one dimensional dman. Not interested.

That doesn't mean other teams wouldn't be interested. Just not my team.
Letang is a defensive liability?

Needs Sid or Malkin to put up those numbers?

Lol, you are stat watching and definitely displaying you know nothing about him.

Old
10-27-2013, 03:45 AM
LOLKarlsson*

Quote:
Letang is a defensive liability?

Needs Sid or Malkin to put up those numbers?

Lol, you are stat watching and definitely displaying you know nothing about him.
It's my opinion, that his style of play is a liability. He would have no place on the Blues, and he wouldn't be allowed to play like he does. He would have to change his entire game to play here. We already have Shatt and Petro, both of whom are better defensively, and imo would contribute more offensively under a Hitch system than Letang would, while still being better in their own end.

I don't want Letang on my team, especially with that cap hit, that shouldn't be a big deal. I'm sure many teams would love him. I mean, look at that Anaheim package. That's crazy good. Chill man, not everyone has to like his style of play.

Old
10-27-2013, 03:49 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
It's my opinion, that his style of play is a liability. He would have no place on the Blues, and he wouldn't be allowed to play like he does. He would have to change his entire game to play here. We already have Shatt and Petro, both of whom are better defensively, and imo would contribute more offensively under a Hitch system than Letang would, while still being better in their own end.

I don't want Letang on my team, especially with that cap hit, that shouldn't be a big deal. I'm sure many teams would love him. I mean, look at that Anaheim package. That's crazy good. Chill man, not everyone has to like his style of play.
I am chill, it's just clear you really don't know how Letang plays. But hey, tell me more about Shat and Petro's god like defensive abilities.

Old
10-27-2013, 03:57 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

Quote:
I am chill, it's just clear you really don't know how Letang plays. But hey, tell me more about Shat and Petro's god like defensive abilities.
Shattenkirk is pretty bad defensively. Worse than Letang for sure.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:05 AM
XO
Valar Morghulis

Cleary, Samuelsson and Quincey

Pittsburgh get two legit top-6 wingers and a rock solid top 4 D

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:07 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
Shattenkirk is pretty bad defensively. Worse than Letang for sure.
It cracks me up when people assume Letang is bad defensively, I can't stand seeing him on the powerplay and the biggest misconception about Letang is that he's great there, if you actually see a lot of Pens games, then you would know that he passes up so many shots and when he does take a shot, he takes too long and its blocked or the goaltender is already in position, he's great at dishing the puck around though.

He's pretty decent defensively, but because he's on the Penguins, apparently no one can actually be good without the lame excuse of "It's because of Malkin and Crosby."

Could Letang be better defensively? Most definitely, a lot of the solid top defensemen can be better. I am hoping J.Martin can spend some time with him now that he's back in the line-up and get that sorted out.

There's also the problem of Letang not really having the right defense partner. I like Scuds, but I don't know if they're the right pairing.

Old
10-27-2013, 04:07 AM
Ferrero Rocher

From the Canucks I'd offer Kesler and a 1st at max. Of course his NTC would come in but ignoring that this is my max. Not a fan of OFDs his defense isn't the best and he isn't very physical. Overpaid a bit in my opinion, defensively he doesn't dig in the corners that some other defenders on his team do (Orpik, Martin, Scuderi).

Ferrero Rocher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:12 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

Quote:
It cracks me up when people assume Letang is bad defensively, I can't stand seeing him on the powerplay and the biggest misconception about Letang is that he's great there, if you actually see a lot of Pens games, then you would know that he passes up so many shots and when he does take a shot, he takes too long and its blocked or the goaltender is already in position, he's great at dishing the puck around though.

He's pretty decent defensively, but because he's on the Penguins, apparently no one can actually be good without the lame excuse of "It's because of Malkin and Crosby."

Could Letang be better defensively? Most definitely, a lot of the solid top defensemen can be better. I am hoping J.Martin can spend some time with him now that he's back in the line-up and get that sorted out.

There's also the problem of Letang not really having the right defense partner. I like Scuds, but I don't know if they're the right pairing.
I didn't say Letang is bad defensively..

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote