HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks at Senators - 10/27/13 - 2:00 PM PST

Old
10-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 50
The sharks absolutely did not outplay the sens in any form whats so ever. If anderson even played even just good today instead of horrible like he did, and the sharks easily lose this game.

The sharks cane out flying, winning every battle for pucks showing off the speed that i have been hearing about on the radio and this board. Then they got that 1st goal and it seemed to take the kegs out from under the sharks players because from that moment it looked like the sharks were akating in cement and the sens were skating on grease.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:08 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Demers had top 4 toi this game I think.

Not sure where to find 5v5 ice time though.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...4/ES020166.HTM

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:12 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Thanks! Dead even with Irwin. I like the upward trend though

Can anyone explain the disparity at evens between Braun and vlasic? Is it just because he can take shifts with Demers and Irwin on the right side?

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Juxtaposer
#FreeTimo

Quote:

Can anyone explain the disparity at evens between Braun and vlasic? Is it just because he can take shifts with Demers and Irwin on the right side?
This is a completely random guess, but would it have anything to do with the fact that one of the sides is closer to the bench for two periods compared to one for the other, so the order of which guy on a pair differs accordingly?

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:

Could be that vlasic is being used solely as a shutdown guy. I thought i noticed vlasic out on the ice a few times with more then just braun.

What i mean by solely the shutdown guy, is that vlasic just goes over the bench when ever the other teams top line is on the ice no matter the defense partner.

Old
10-28-2013, 12:21 AM
CanadianSharks

I was at the game. Sharks didn't really impress me much. Overall a pretty bad game from both sides.

CanadianSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:23 AM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yeppers. Same deal for me. I don't comment and I don't bring back comments, but I think despite being 9-1-1 we're still underrated. This and the Wings game are the only ones where we've been honest to god outplayed.
Now 10-1-1 but this. Just listen a bit to NHLNetworkRadio on SiriusXM. Whenever the Sharks come up, you'll never hear the names Havlat and Torres come up. Never.

If any other team in the league had Havlat and Torres out and played the kind of hockey the Sharks have in their first 12, hockey media (Especially NHLNetworkRadio) would be gushing over it and saying, "Holy hell, just wait for Havlat and then Torres to return to join this squad. It's going to be beyond insane."

Instead, when it comes to the Sharks, they simply look at the team as presently assembled. I suppose there is an argument for that, but for example, tomorrow NHLNetworkRadio should especially gush over the Sharks last win:

3rd game in 4 nights, opening faceoff 17 hours after last game played, tail end of eastern swing, and no Boyle, Burns, Havlat, and Torres. And what did they do? They beat the Sens 5-2 in their barn. Wasn't the best game for the Sharks, but in light of what I just listed, maybe their most impressive win of the season.

But you won't hear any of this on NHLNetworkRadio. Oh well...

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:24 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
The sharks absolutely did not outplay the sens in any form whats so ever. If anderson even played even just good today instead of horrible like he did, and the sharks easily lose this game.
Really and what would have been the hypothetical score?

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:28 AM
Rem
Boo or Boo-urns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Now 10-1-1 but this. Just listen a bit to NHLNetworkRadio on SiriusXM. Whenever the Sharks come up, you'll never hear the names Havlat and Torres come up. Never.

If any other team in the league had Havlat and Torres out and played the kind of hockey the Sharks have in their first 12, hockey media (Especially NHLNetworkRadio) would be gushing over it and saying, "Holy hell, just wait for Havlat and then Torres to return to join this squad. It's going to be beyond insane."

Instead, when it comes to the Sharks, they simply look at the team as presently assembled. I suppose there is an argument for that, but for example, tomorrow NHLNetworkRadio should especially gush over the Sharks last win:

3rd game in 4 nights, opening faceoff 17 hours after last game played, tail end of eastern swing, and no Boyle, Burns, Havlat, and Torres. And what did they do? They beat the Sens 5-2 in their barn. Wasn't the best game for the Sharks, but in light of what I just listed, maybe their most impressive win of the season.

yessir. this.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:30 AM
Juxtaposer
#FreeTimo

Quote:

Yep. All of this.

The Sharks didn't outplay the Sens and if Anderson had been up to standards and Stalock not as good, we would not have won. Yet, I'm not any less impressed with this win simply because of the reasons you listed.

Old
10-28-2013, 12:32 AM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
yessir. this.
Thanks. And it's not that I'm trying to be a homer or anything, but it honestly baffles me that the hockey media can pretend like the Sharks aren't plagued by a severe injury bug.

If the Hawks were 10-1-1 and missing Hossa and Sharp through the run, you'd hear about it how much better they'd be when those guys come back. Not saying Havlat/Torres = Hossa/Sharp, but it's not even being discussed. Especially as to Havlat who is supposed to return soon. You'd think the talk about whether Havlat's return could disrupt the mojo would be there at the very least, but it's not. (I think it's going to be great, if nothing else to have an interpreter for Hertl on the bench).

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Really and what would have been the hypothetical score?
Considering the sharks only scored 1 legit good goal (sheppards goal) that didn't involve anderson some how mishandling puck so bad that he was making minor league goalies look like nhl goalies, so score 2-1

Old
10-28-2013, 12:34 AM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 1321
My god reading this forum you would think the Sharks lost. Well, while everyone is talking about stats and PDO and all that jazz, here's what I saw:

1) Sharks have played some tough close games this week, winning in shootout in Detroit, being beat by Boston on a last second shot, and then dominating against Montreal.

2) The Sharks were on a back end of a back to back, where they didn't even have 20 hours of rest between games

3) The Sharks were playing with a back up goaltender in his first NHL start, and they were tired because, again it was a back end of a back to back.

What I saw was a solid effort from this team who should have lost. What I see is a team depleted of injuries still finding ways to get it done.

I'm sorry for the rant, but when I'm on here and I read that the sharks were outplayed, or they didn't play very well, well, it's pissing me off and I have to wonder what do you expect? The Sharks aren't going to win every game 10-0, and hell, they're going to lose in regulation from time to time.

It seems like people here are expecting perfection and that's not going to happen. They played well today, they won, and the back up goaltender was terrific. This is a hot team that's going to lose games from time to time. It feels like what this board is asking for is quite a lot.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39: 10-28-2013 at 12:48 AM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:34 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yep. All of this.

The Sharks didn't outplay the Sens and if Anderson had been up to standards and Stalock not as good, we would not have won. Yet, I'm not any less impressed with this win simply because of the reasons you listed.
Or if Thornton and Pavelski collided with eachother on the pp, there was an earthquake, or Vlasic had a rash it would have totally been a different game!

Old
10-28-2013, 12:35 AM
SJSharksfan39

Quote:
Considering the sharks only scored 1 legit good goal (sheppards goal) that didn't involve anderson some how mishandling puck so bad that he was making minor league goalies look like nhl goalies, so score 2-1
A Goal is a Goal. Legit Goal? There's a new one. My eyes saw 5 legit goals. Of course maybe my math is wrong and a goal in hockey is like a quarter of a point.

Old
10-28-2013, 12:41 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Oh god... were talking about legit goals now... Ok since Karlsson's goal was scored from the blue line off a deflection, the Sharks win 2 to 1 in the shootout. Bam mind blown!!!

Of course I don't really know how a two on 0 rush is somehow not a legit goal... Hertl's and Pavs goals were from a pass

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 10-28-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old
10-28-2013, 12:43 AM
Teamplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
My god reading this forum you would think the Sharks lost. Well, while everyone is talking about stats and PDO and all that jazz, here's what I saw:

1) Sharks have played some tough close games this week, winning in shootout in Detroit, being beat by Boston and a last second shot, and then dominating against Montreal.

2) The Sharks were on a back end of a back to back, where they didn't even have 20 hours of rest between games

3) The Sharks were playing with a back up goaltender in his first NHL start, and they were tired because, again it was a back end of a back to back.

What I saw was a solid effort from this team who should have lost. What I see is a team depleted of injuries still finding ways to get it done.

I'm sorry for the rant, but when I'm on here and I read that the sharks were outplayed, or they didn't play very well, well, it's pissing me off and I have to wonder what do you expect? The Sharks aren't going to win every game 10-0, and hell, they're going to lose in regulation from time to time.

It seems like people here are expecting perfection and that's not going to happen. They played well today, they won, and the back up goaltender was terrific. This is a hot team that's going to lose games from time to time. It feels like what this board is asking for is quite a lot.
Preach! Stalock saved 38 shots today, and the team gave Ottawa hell when they got chances. For a game on the road with little rest and loads of injuries, they played fantastically.

Teamplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Negatively Positive
Stop Lying!

Quote:
A Goal is a Goal. Legit Goal? There's a new one. My eyes saw 5 legit goals. Of course maybe my math is wrong and a goal in hockey is like a quarter of a point.
Barrie thinks the only legit goal was the goal Thornton assisted on? I'm shocked. Shocked

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:55 AM
CrypTic

Quote:
tomorrow NHLNetworkRadio should especially gush over the Sharks last win:

I agree with this (and very well said) but it doesn't really bother me. I'd rather the Sharks be under-hyped than over hyped. (I view it as them thinking the Sharks are really good without even taking Havlat's or Torres's injuries into account. Which IMO is very impressive in itself. Also, it should lead to less pressure on Havlat and Torres when they return.) Maybe that's just me, though. I understand why it's frustrating.

I didn't expect the Sharks to win tonight. I was just excited to see Stalock's first NHL game (not including the preseason) plus more of Hertl, Nieto, and Hamilton. I thought Stalock looked pretty good for his first game except for all the rebounds. It also looked like the team was not expecting the way he played the puck. But, overall, I was relieved that he looked so good. I was disappointed that I didn't get to see Nieto, especially given how well he played vs Montreal. I hope he's back soon. Very happy for the win, especially given that it was a back-to-back and how many injuries we have. (Thanks, Jux, for your earlier link to the cap hits for injured players on the various teams.)

CrypTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:58 AM
SJSharksfan39

Did we ever get an update on Nieto? It does still baffle me how one night he has a game of his career, and then the next day he was a last minute healthy scratch. Of course maybe he really did need rest but it was strange how it was handled. Hopefully he wasn't injured in warm-ups.

Found this via the contra costa times:

Quote:
Already beset by injuries to forwards Brent Burns, Raffi Torres and Marty Havlat, the Sharks were also without rookie Matt Nieto, who was a late scratch after injuring his hand blocking a shot earlier on the trip. He is considered day to day.

That forced coach Todd McLellan to rearrange his lines once again, and he got a strong game from Sheppard on a line with Joe Thornton and Hertl, plus a goal from fourth-line center Desjardins.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/news...a-senators-5-2

So Nieto is Day to Day with a hand injury. Just great.

Old
10-28-2013, 01:00 AM
CrypTic

Quote:
Did we ever get an update on Nieto? It does still baffle me how one night he has a game of his career, and then the next day he was a last minute healthy scratch. Of course maybe he really did need rest but it was strange how it was handled. Hopefully he wasn't injured in warm-ups.
There was a tweet that he had an injury. (Hand?) It sounded like it was not that serious, though. I'm sure someone here has more information than I do.

Old
rgb63

vCash: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypTic View Post
I didn't expect the Sharks to win tonight. I was just excited to see Stalock's first NHL game (not including the preseason) plus more of Hertl, Nieto, and Hamilton.
Not Stalock's first NHL game nor his first NHL win for that matter.

rgb63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
He was injured in montreal, will be back soon according to mclellan. Hand injury or something like that.

Old
10-28-2013, 01:01 AM
Juxtaposer
#FreeTimo

Quote:
He has a minor hand injury from blocking a shot. Should be back soon.

Old
10-28-2013, 01:03 AM
CrypTic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb63 View Post
Not Stalock's first NHL game nor his first NHL win for that matter.
Agggh! You're right. My memory is not great. He did play really well before his injury a couple of years ago. I've even brought up in my conversations with ppl today and during the preseason about how exciting it is that he's able to play again. I was thinking of it as a fresh start.