HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Expendables

Old
10-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

vCash: 500
The Expendables

For a long time, we as Blues fans on HF have spoken about the core of the team. In the past year and a half it has been less of a talking point. I would assume it is because we have so many players that contribute to the team, there isn't a lage gap in terms of talent (generally speaking), and because of the influx of new players (prospects, signings & trades).

Instead of merely evaluating the core of the team, I was hoping we could evaluate the players we see as expendable to varying degrees. I bring this up because it feels like our depth has made more and more players expendable in the right situations. So, I am very interested to test this theory and see what you all have to say.

I would like to keep this as objective as possible. So we should probably discuss the degrees of expendability. Are there categories we would like to make? For example, players to move or let go at the end of the season, players to move in season, players to move if certain trade criteria are met, players we can save money on with cheaper replacements, etc.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
I hate questions like this, because they are so very, very difficult to tackle properly. I could make a list of players that are unlikely to be traded, but it always depends on the return.

Listing our "core" players then it would be Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Backes and Steen when he signs his extension. Jackman is a de facto member since he'll take another discount to stay with a NTC. I could add Sobotka to the list as well, because unlike someone like McClement I don't see us being willing to use him as a "throw in" in a larger deal.

Tarasenko & Schwartz are young, cheap and have very high upsides; teams only get that in a blockbuster deal.

Nobody gets moved during the season without an upgrade coming in. I could see it being possible to upgrade a winger, but not someone like Shattenkirk. Outside of the season some players (like Shattenkirk) would require very specific returns, or be part of a series of trades.

If I had to list players that I thought were most likely to be traded then it would be Elliott, Stewart, Polák, Oshie and Berglund.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 11:47 AM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

Alklha, I am in almost perfect agreement with your list.

Where do you put MPV, Roy, Lapierre, Reaves, Morrow, and Leopold? Package-able?

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I hate questions like this, because they are so very, very difficult to tackle properly. I could make a list of players that are unlikely to be traded, but it always depends on the return.

Listing our "core" players then it would be Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Backes and Steen when he signs his extension. Jackman is a de facto member since he'll take another discount to stay with a NTC. I could add Sobotka to the list as well, because unlike someone like McClement I don't see us being willing to use him as a "throw in" in a larger deal.

Tarasenko & Schwartz are young, cheap and have very high upsides; teams only get that in a blockbuster deal.

Nobody gets moved during the season without an upgrade coming in. I could see it being possible to upgrade a winger, but not someone like Shattenkirk. Outside of the season some players (like Shattenkirk) would require very specific returns, or be part of a series of trades.

If I had to list players that I thought were most likely to be traded then it would be Elliott, Stewart, Polák, Oshie and Berglund.
For not liking the question, you did a pretty effective job of answering it.

Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Backes and Steen are about as close to untouchable as it gets.

I also feel similarly about Sobie, Jax, Tarasenko & Schwartz. Sobotka is a guy who is worth more to the Blues than what they would probably get back in a trade.

Jax is a guy that I couldn't see waiving his NTC, even though he could be replaced with a similar player. But overcoming the challenges necessary for such a move wouldn't be worth the effort IMO.

Schwartz and Tarasenko are the next wave that make parts of our old core available. We have already seen this with Perron and I suspect Stewart could fall into this scenario as well.

If Stewart brought more of a Horton presence in the playoffs, then he would be a guy worth keeping. However, at this point he is too expensive for what he brings to the Blues. If we were a team in a larger market then Stew would be worth holding onto, as I think he will slowly grow as a player over time. I just don't believe we have the time or resources to wait for that to happen.

There are a couple of situations I could see happening with Stew.
1. There could be a forward upgrade trade that either requires we add to the package or take on significant salary (a guy with some term or a soon to be UFA expecting a payday). Could happen at any time, but most likely TDL.

2. A lateral forward-for-forward swap. This trade would focus on finding a better home for Stew and the guy coming back. Under this scenario we are looking at under performers with potential/guys in the wrong system. Could happen at any time.

3. Stew is traded for assets used in a separate post-trade upgrade scenario. This could only happen at the TDL with another trade already in place (not probable) or in the offseason.

4. Trading for a vet who is cheaper than Stew. In this trade we use the vet for the short term and probably get a mid round pick or comparable prospect. We then use the saving in the offseason for a center, winger or goaltending upgrade. Most likely to happen at the TDL.
I am going to stop there and wait for others to provide their thoughts before talking about the rest of our roster.

Old
10-27-2013, 11:56 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I don't see Oshie being traded. Caveat of "the right deal" but when you look at advanced stats you see that he's totally indispensible to a Hitchcock-style game. He is extremely well-rounded. Plus he's the 2d best shootout guy in the NHL! I also think he's turned a corner in his development. He's been utterly instrumental to that top line's success and works so well with Backes and Steen. Homegrown, sells tickets, starting to wear the A ... really hard to leave Oshie off that list of core players. So I'd agree pretty much with Alklha's list but add Oshie.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:03 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I don't see Oshie being traded. Caveat of "the right deal" but when you look at advanced stats you see that he's totally indispensible to a Hitchcock-style game. He is extremely well-rounded. Plus he's the 2d best shootout guy in the NHL! I also think he's turned a corner in his development. He's been utterly instrumental to that top line's success and works so well with Backes and Steen. Homegrown, sells tickets, starting to wear the A ... really hard to leave Oshie off that list of core players. So I'd agree pretty much with Alklha's list but add Oshie.
This was my thinking that you have to consider the system and how well he's liked by Hitch, I don't see him leaving unless they're getting that true dynamic forward in return.

Oshie has to be part of the core, but you have to give to get and I would say Pietrangelo is the only true untouchable.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:06 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

On the Stewart thing Celtic brought up, scenario #1 sounds to me like Vanek at the deadline, a possibility I've hinted at previously. That said, this only happens if they determine they're not going to try to UFA bid on Stewart at the end of 14-15 when his contract is up. I won't waste the brainpower on figuring out how the cap would work but with that small a sliver left in the season I am confident it could be done. On the other hand, Stewart is popular in the room and maybe they don't mess with that heading toward the playoffs. I truly don't know how it'll all shake out. I do think Oshie and Tarasenko are better RWs and frankly Tarasenko will be looking for his next contract at the same time Stewart hits UFA, so something's gotta give there.

Old
10-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
While I prefer Oshie as more of a second line guy, he does work very well with Steen and Backes.

Oshie's contract certainly factors into the equation as well. He seems to be on a very reasonable contract for his contributions.

Overall he is one of our players on the "bubble" portion of the core IMO. If he could increase his offensive production a bit or show up in the playoffs, I wouldn't hesitate to include him. Really it all comes down to Oshie taking that next step you mentioned.

Quote:
On the Stewart thing Celtic brought up, scenario #1 sounds to me like Vanek at the deadline, a possibility I've hinted at previously. That said, this only happens if they determine they're not going to try to UFA bid on Stewart at the end of 14-15 when his contract is up. I won't waste the brainpower on figuring out how the cap would work but with that small a sliver left in the season I am confident it could be done. On the other hand, Stewart is popular in the room and maybe they don't mess with that heading toward the playoffs. I truly don't know how it'll all shake out. I do think Oshie and Tarasenko are better RWs and frankly Tarasenko will be looking for his next contract at the same time Stewart hits UFA, so something's gotta give there.
I was thinking about Vanek a little when I wrote #1. I too think we could fit him under the cap with some smart maneuvers.

I also agree about Oshie and Tarasenko, especially the bit about Tarasenko's raise and Stew's UFA years.

Old
10-27-2013, 12:20 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
While I prefer Oshie as more of a second line guy, he does work very well with Steen and Backes.

Oshie's contract certainly factors into the equation as well. He seems to be on a very reasonable contract for his contributions.

Overall he is one of our players on the "bubble" portion of the core IMO. If he could increase his offensive production a bit or show up in the playoffs, I wouldn't hesitate to include him. Really it all comes down to Oshie taking that next step you mentioned.

I was thinking about Vanek a little when I wrote #1. I too think we could fit him under the cap with some smart maneuvers.

I also agree about Oshie and Tarasenko, especially the bit about Tarasenko's raise and Stew's UFA years.
We've been agreeing too much lately. (Ask Hooligan how that feels.) This is getting annoying

Old
10-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
For not liking the question, you did a pretty effective job of answering it.

Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Backes and Steen are about as close to untouchable as it gets.

I also feel similarly about Sobie, Jax, Tarasenko & Schwartz. Sobotka is a guy who is worth more to the Blues than what they would probably get back in a trade.

Jax is a guy that I couldn't see waiving his NTC, even though he could be replaced with a similar player. But overcoming the challenges necessary for such a move wouldn't be worth the effort IMO.

Schwartz and Tarasenko are the next wave that make parts of our old core available. We have already seen this with Perron and I suspect Stewart could fall into this scenario as well.

If Stewart brought more of a Horton presence in the playoffs, then he would be a guy worth keeping. However, at this point he is too expensive for what he brings to the Blues. If we were a team in a larger market then Stew would be worth holding onto, as I think he will slowly grow as a player over time. I just don't believe we have the time or resources to wait for that to happen.

There are a couple of situations I could see happening with Stew.
1. There could be a forward upgrade trade that either requires we add to the package or take on significant salary (a guy with some term or a soon to be UFA expecting a payday). Could happen at any time, but most likely TDL.

2. A lateral forward-for-forward swap. This trade would focus on finding a better home for Stew and the guy coming back. Under this scenario we are looking at under performers with potential/guys in the wrong system. Could happen at any time.

3. Stew is traded for assets used in a separate post-trade upgrade scenario. This could only happen at the TDL with another trade already in place (not probable) or in the offseason.

4. Trading for a vet who is cheaper than Stew. In this trade we use the vet for the short term and probably get a mid round pick or comparable prospect. We then use the saving in the offseason for a center, winger or goaltending upgrade. Most likely to happen at the TDL.
I am going to stop there and wait for others to provide their thoughts before talking about the rest of our roster.
Armstrong made the decision to keep Stewart over Perron, I'd imagine he'll give him until at least the trade deadline to show himself capable. I could see us trying to use him as a piece to go after someone like Vanek, or even in a more lateral move, but a lot will also depend on the development in the AHL. If we are going to be viewing Jaškin as an NHL player sooner rather than later then the likelihood of targeting another winger, unless a clear upgrade, would be reduced.

I think it is most likely we'll try and move him at the draft next summer.

Quote:
Oshie does fit the system perfectly, and Hitchcock rightly values him highly. The reason I didn't list him as a core player is I think it is more likely that a situation evolves that makes him a moveable piece than the other guys. For example, if Pääjärvi develops over this season and we had a chance to get a Vanek calibre scorer in the summer (Stewart + Oshie out, Jaškin + scorer in remains roughly salary neutral). He is definitely a player that it would take a more specific set of circumstances to consider moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblues View Post
Alklha, I am in almost perfect agreement with your list.

Where do you put MPV, Roy, Lapierre, Reaves, Morrow, and Leopold? Package-able?
I think we'll want to know exactly what we have with Pääjärvi before we'd consider moving him. I wouldn't imagine we'd hesitate including any of the others in package deals but Roy and Morrow are UFA's so hold little value and Leopold and Morrow both have NTC's which complicates things.

We'd rather keep Reaves, but I don't think we'd scrap a bigger deal if they insisted he was included.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 01:19 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Armstrong made the decision to keep Stewart over Perron, I'd imagine he'll give him until at least the trade deadline to show himself capable. I could see us trying to use him as a piece to go after someone like Vanek, or even in a more lateral move, but a lot will also depend on the development in the AHL. If we are going to be viewing Jaškin as an NHL player sooner rather than later then the likelihood of targeting another winger, unless a clear upgrade, would be reduced.

I think it is most likely we'll try and move him at the draft next summer.

Oshie does fit the system perfectly, and Hitchcock rightly values him highly. The reason I didn't list him as a core player is I think it is more likely that a situation evolves that makes him a moveable piece than the other guys. For example, if Pääjärvi develops over this season and we had a chance to get a Vanek calibre scorer in the summer (Stewart + Oshie out, Jaškin + scorer in remains roughly salary neutral). He is definitely a player that it would take a more specific set of circumstances to consider moving.

I think we'll want to know exactly what we have with Pääjärvi before we'd consider moving him. I wouldn't imagine we'd hesitate including any of the others in package deals but Roy and Morrow are UFA's so hold little value and Leopold and Morrow both have NTC's which complicates things.

We'd rather keep Reaves, but I don't think we'd scrap a bigger deal if they insisted he was included.
as we keep talking about Vanek, I don't think there's a chance for us to get him once TDL is over.
we don't have familary bonds like Minny or big bucks like other teams to get him to the Lou.

if we want him we have to trade for him, show him we are a contender and give him respect and I think he would re-sign, he is a very loyal, typical euro guy.

and for sure it would be a trade centered around Stewart, can't see another deal to make sense cap and personal wise.

if there is a chance to get this guy we better do it because it would be a shame to see him walk to Minny and make a rival getting top-line talent while we are stuck with Stewarts hot and cold streaks.

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Robb_K

Quote:

Why would Oshie be among The Blues most likely to be traded? He's valuable in so many different aspects of the game(shootout,PK, defence, physical game, energy, forecheck, and he's scoring at a PPG pace. He's still young. Where would this team be in a shootout without him?

Looking to trade him off would be a mistake, unless he's a key element in getting a major overpayment trade-bringing in a major difference maker (e.g.-superstar).

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Jacko95

Hey guys Tampa fan here looking for some info.
I like Polak and already asked last season about the cost for him? But as Bouwmeester wasn't with you back then he wasn't available.
So is he now available ? And is he still a serviceable top4 defender?
I read somewhere in this thread you might have interest in a winger upgrade.
Would Brett Connolly be enough of an upgrade to get talks at least going?
General expectations are, that he will still become a decent top line forward that might get around 70p in his prime. Problem is he is obviously stucked in the Tampa system, but is for sure NHL ready and the situation ain't get any better in the near future with the emergence of Drouin and Kucherov. His confidence level is currently down as he was send down after an amazing preseason, but that might change fast with a trade. So I would expect him ro explode offensivly after a trade.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:24 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Hey guys Tampa fan here looking for some info.
I like Polak and already asked last season about the cost for him? But as Bouwmeester wasn't with you back then he wasn't available.
So is he now available ? And is he still a serviceable top4 defender?
I read somewhere in this thread you might have interest in a winger upgrade.
Would Brett Connolly be enough of an upgrade to get talks at least going?
General expectations are, that he will still become a decent top line forward that might get around 70p in his prime. Problem is he is obviously stucked in the Tampa system, but is for sure NHL ready and the situation ain't get any better in the near future with the emergence of Drouin and Kucherov. His confidence level is currently down as he was send down after an amazing preseason, but that might change fast with a trade. So I would expect him ro explode offensivly after a trade.
We'd want a center, not a winger. And Polak could become available when we need more money for cap or budget, but the earliest for that would be this summer, but for Polak, it would probably wait until the summer after. Stewart is likely the first to be moved IMO.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:29 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

If we take away the obvious players like Morrow, Cracknell, Elliott and Lapierre, I think the main expendable players are Stewart, Polak, and Roy/Berglund.

Stewart because of our depth on the wings and his inconsistent production. Like Perron, he is not an ideal fit into our lineup either.

Polak because of our defensive depth both on the roster and with our prospects.

Roy/Berglund because neither is all that solidified and it's a position that we are going to be looking to upgrade.

Oshie is definitely not expendable now that he is part of the leadership group and how heavily Hitch relies on him. It's early, but his offensive game has been improving as well.

The interesting player to keep an eye on down the road is Shattenkirk. If he doesn't significantly improve, Vannelli or Schmaltz could take his spot when Shatty's contract is up. He's definitely not close to expendable right now, but in 3-4 years, he could be.

Old
10-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
We've been agreeing too much lately. (Ask Hooligan how that feels.) This is getting annoying
I will drum up a conspiracy theory to rationalize the occurrence.

I do think many people will agree on the expendables (might need a better word) and core, so there will probably be some agreement. However, I would guess the differences will occur over how they are used to improve the team.

Old
10-27-2013, 04:54 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I think there is enough writing on the wall for Stewart. Tarasenko is getting more playing time and has a bigger impact, Oshie isn't going anywhere, and we have Jaskin and Rattie.

My question is what do you guys think is more likely a trade for an upgrade or a Perron type trade.

The first situation would be a for a Vanek type player. He's obviously the player that will be talked about the most and we've already talked a bunch about him so no point in me talking about it more.

I think an intriguing route would be getting Couturier from Philly. We know we've shown interest in Couturier, and I'm guessing we preferred him over Paajarvi. If we get Couturier, I think that would make Berglund expendable and we could then use money and assets for a real #2 center.

Old
10-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Bluesman91

I agree with a lot of the stuff except Oshie not being part of the core. The guy sells more jerseys than anyone else on the team and plays Hitch's system perfectly.

I really don't see Stewart here much longer. He costs too much for how inconsistent he is. I don't want to say too much though because there will be part of this season he will go on a tear and turn into Christ Stewart again, but we can't let that take away from when he's not producing.

I could see Berglund and Polak being moved for the right prices. Polak is nothing more than a 3rd pairing shutdown defenseman and Berglund, I think personally, just makes his linemmates worse. I've really been down on Berglund and just think he is a mediocre low end 2nd/high end 3rd line center. He can show up big at times but like Stewart he just doesn't show up as much as he should.

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
I agree with a lot of the stuff except Oshie not being part of the core. The guy sells more jerseys than anyone else on the team and plays Hitch's system perfectly.

I really don't see Stewart here much longer. He costs too much for how inconsistent he is. I don't want to say too much though because there will be part of this season he will go on a tear and turn into Christ Stewart again, but we can't let that take away from when he's not producing.

I could see Berglund and Polak being moved for the right prices. Polak is nothing more than a 3rd pairing shutdown defenseman and Berglund, I think personally, just makes his linemmates worse. I've really been down on Berglund and just think he is a mediocre low end 2nd/high end 3rd line center. He can show up big at times but like Stewart he just doesn't show up as much as he should.
Mediocre or not mediocre I guess a group of Backes, Berglund, Roy and Sobotka is a bit too many down middle. I guess good grinder as a 4C would be an enough and much cheaper option. And the team could then spend extra cap room on upgrades.

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

Vanek to the Isles. So much for that idea...

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Boombox Generation
Vlad the Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Vanek to the Isles. So much for that idea...
Just saw that. Crap...

Boombox Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 07:36 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

So I guess Moulson can still be a target lol.

Old
10-27-2013, 07:51 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Moulson and Vanek are both UFA at the end of the season, so there's still hope.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:03 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Yeah, it's just one idea. I'm sure other specific targets might emerge as we talk about it more. Maybe it becomes clear to the Isles that Vanek has no interest in re-signing, or maybe the Isles are sellers at the deadline (though they are in a putrid division and shouldn't be). Stewart has an extra year. If it becomes clear the Isles are giving up a 1st and 2d for a guy who's gonna walk and they're missing the playoffs, they have to salvage that trade somehow.

Old
10-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
Moulson and Vanek are both UFA at the end of the season, so there's still hope.
I'd rather The Blues sign Vanek for 2-3 years as a UFA than just get him as a rental, who might leave in summer.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote