HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens Fan Going to a Philly Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2013, 08:29 PM
  #1
DarthKoRn
Registered User
 
DarthKoRn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pembroke
Country: Canada
Posts: 391
vCash: 500
Sens Fan Going to a Philly Game

Hey Guys,

I'm going on a business trip mid-November and it (luckily) coincides with my Sens playing Philly. I'm thinking of hitting up the game but would be going solo, but I've been warned that it might not be the most welcoming of situations. My Philadelphia based contacts went as far as to say not to wear my jersey or anything around the city. I've gone to a few out of market games in the past, and have dealt with playful jeering, but they've got me concerned for safety. Is it really as bad as they have led me to believe?

Thanks folks, and hoping for a warm reception.

DarthKoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 08:40 PM
  #2
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthKoRn View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm going on a business trip mid-November and it (luckily) coincides with my Sens playing Philly. I'm thinking of hitting up the game but would be going solo, but I've been warned that it might not be the most welcoming of situations. My Philadelphia based contacts went as far as to say not to wear my jersey or anything around the city. I've gone to a few out of market games in the past, and have dealt with playful jeering, but they've got me concerned for safety. Is it really as bad as they have led me to believe?

Thanks folks, and hoping for a warm reception.
Extremely exaggerated. I've been to games with people wearing Rangers jerseys and they remained pretty unbothered. As long as you're not being a total jackass during the game, you'll be alright.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 08:40 PM
  #3
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,839
vCash: 500
If you're sitting down stairs you'll be fine, It's mostly suits who sit down there who have no interest in what's going on.

Upstairs you could run into an idiot but if you stay cool & not take things so serious you'll be fine.

Although our teams have had heated battles on the ice, I don't think our fans share the same sentiment so you should be good on that front too.

As for around the city you'll definitely be good. We have a lot of fans because of the sheer population of the city & it's surrounding area's but not everyone is a hockey fan here. It's mostly a cult type sport here.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 10-28-2013 at 09:04 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 08:41 PM
  #4
xifentoozlerix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: staten island
Posts: 780
vCash: 500
The only people who get more than "playful jeers" are the people drawing too much attention to themselves. Simply wearing a jersey won't get you physically hurt.

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 08:42 PM
  #5
JohnEDrama
Registered User
 
JohnEDrama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: between NJ and DE
Country: United States
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
I think you will be fine, wear your jersey. If you are loud and obnoxious there could be fans that take it too far, but as long as you take the ribbing in good spirit nothing will happen. Plus the Senators arent heated rivals and its early in the year. I've been to plenty of away arenas in my Flyers jersey and got the usual jeers and such. It happens everywhere I'm sure. Just dont feed the trolls man and you'll be fine.


Last edited by JohnEDrama: 10-28-2013 at 08:59 PM.
JohnEDrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 08:45 PM
  #6
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
You should be good. It only ever escalates if you sit near drunken idiots and you take offense. As a sens fan I can't imagine you getting any crap anyway.

I've seen plently of opposing fans wear jerseys and absolutely nothing happen.

Hope you enjoy the game if you go man!

Sniped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:01 PM
  #7
HighOFFHockey
Registered User
 
HighOFFHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthKoRn View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm going on a business trip mid-November and it (luckily) coincides with my Sens playing Philly. I'm thinking of hitting up the game but would be going solo, but I've been warned that it might not be the most welcoming of situations. My Philadelphia based contacts went as far as to say not to wear my jersey or anything around the city. I've gone to a few out of market games in the past, and have dealt with playful jeering, but they've got me concerned for safety. Is it really as bad as they have led me to believe?

Thanks folks, and hoping for a warm reception.
People might say something, but no one will harm you. Trouble comes to those who seek it. Go to xfinity live in the center of all the stadiums.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:03 PM
  #8
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthKoRn View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm going on a business trip mid-November and it (luckily) coincides with my Sens playing Philly. I'm thinking of hitting up the game but would be going solo, but I've been warned that it might not be the most welcoming of situations. My Philadelphia based contacts went as far as to say not to wear my jersey or anything around the city. I've gone to a few out of market games in the past, and have dealt with playful jeering, but they've got me concerned for safety. Is it really as bad as they have led me to believe?

Thanks folks, and hoping for a warm reception.
You're good during the regular season except for Eagle's games maybe.

Playoff games there is always a chance of a drunken stooge in the parking lot but even then your still good around town.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:04 PM
  #9
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,660
vCash: 500
Yeah like others have said just don't be an idiot. Be nice to the people sitting around you and you'll be fine. If the Sens score don't act all rowdy and draw attention to yourself. Hope you have a good time.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:05 PM
  #10
DarthKoRn
Registered User
 
DarthKoRn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pembroke
Country: Canada
Posts: 391
vCash: 500
Sounds like their concerns may have exaggerated, so it looks like I'll be there. Thanks for the info folks, really appreciate it.

DarthKoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:08 PM
  #11
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
You're good during the regular season except for Eagle's games maybe.
Eagles games are a whole different animal, being an Eagles fan doesn't even exclude you from trouble down there.

I didn't even go to my first Eagles game until a couple of years ago when I was like 19 or 20. My Dad wouldn't take me to a game when I was younger because of the neanderthal's down there.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:12 PM
  #12
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,491
vCash: 500
As for in the city, you'll definitely be fine. You can walk around with pretty much any hockey jersey and get no flack. The city likes hockey, but its definitely a distant 3rd behind baseball and football as far as casual fans that might be keen to harass you.

In the stadium, spend a couple extra dollars for the lower bowl. You'll enjoy the game a lot more all the way around.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:32 PM
  #13
MP92
#RomanReignsGuy
 
MP92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,514
vCash: 500
You'll be fine man. If my dad can go there wearing a Devils jersey and get no flack, you have nothing to worry about as a Sens fan. Just be cool. Don't be afraid to cheer or clap if/when the Sens score, just don't do it in an obnoxious way. Have fun

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:32 PM
  #14
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles
 
Mr Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ross Ice Shelf
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Eagles games are a whole different animal, being an Eagles fan doesn't even exclude you from trouble down there.

I didn't even go to my first Eagles game until a couple of years ago when I was like 19 or 20. My Dad wouldn't take me to a game when I was younger because of the neanderthal's down there.
Yeah, every degenerate in Pennsylvania finds their way into Eagles games.

Mr Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:39 PM
  #15
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Eagles games are a whole different animal, being an Eagles fan doesn't even exclude you from trouble down there.

I didn't even go to my first Eagles game until a couple of years ago when I was like 19 or 20. My Dad wouldn't take me to a game when I was younger because of the neanderthal's down there.
It's interesting to hear that because my experiences at Eagles games were amazing. I went to two games when I was somewhere between 10-12 years old (20 now) just me and my Dad. The one time we were literally in the highest row with our backs against the wall of the stadium and both times everyone around us were extremely rowdy as expected but also surprisingly nice.

I have some vivid memories that really stand out to me. Like when some guy was yelling and cursing away another fan near me screamed "Shut the ******* up, there's a kid up here". At the end of the game we were waiting in a massive line to use the bathroom and some random guy turns around, sees me standing there squirming, and started yelling "We got a kid coming through, move out the way!" and suddenly me and my Dad are being ushered up the line straight into the bathroom past a ton of people and everyone's laughing and encouraging us along. The coolest thing that happened was during the second game we were walking around the stadium at halftime and some random guy came up to us and said he had to leave and then just gave us tickets for seats that were on the field directly behind the one endzone and cheerleaders.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:39 PM
  #16
BroadStreetPhila
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
The only people who get more than "playful jeers" are the people drawing too much attention to themselves. Simply wearing a jersey won't get you physically hurt.
This. If you ask for it, you'll get it. Be respectful and you're fine.

BroadStreetPhila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:48 PM
  #17
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
It's interesting to hear that because my experiences at Eagles games were amazing. I went to two games when I was somewhere between 10-12 years old (20 now) just me and my Dad. The one time we were literally in the highest row with our backs against the wall of the stadium and both times everyone around us were extremely rowdy as expected but also surprisingly nice.

I have some vivid memories that really stand out to me. Like when some guy was yelling and cursing away another fan near me screamed "Shut the ******* up, there's a kid up here". At the end of the game we were waiting in a massive line to use the bathroom and some random guy turns around, sees me standing there squirming, and started yelling "We got a kid coming through, move out the way!" and suddenly me and my Dad are being ushered up the line straight into the bathroom past a ton of people and everyone's laughing and encouraging us along. The coolest thing that happened was during the second game we were walking around the stadium at halftime and some random guy came up to us and said he had to leave and then just gave us tickets for seats that were on the field directly behind the one endzone and cheerleaders.
My dad was an Eagles season ticket holder with him & his buddies during the 80's & a bit into the 90's but he always stated an Eagles game is no place for a child not because of anything that happened to him personally but just the stuff he saw down there while going to games.

So Flyers & Phillies games it was for me when growing up which wasn't too bad because I liked them the best & better than football anyway.

When I went, I was fine nothing happened to me personally neither but there was a ton of idiots down there & I could see where my dad was coming from with that statement.

I imagine 80% of the fan base being like the yahoo's who call into WIP everyday.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 10-28-2013 at 09:55 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:54 PM
  #18
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
My dad was an Eagles season ticket holder with him & his buddies during the 80's & a bit into the 90's but he always stated an Eagles game is no place for a child not because of anything that happened to him personally but just the stuff he saw down there while going to games.

So Flyers & Phillies games it was when growing up for me which wasn't too bad because I liked them the best & better than football anyway.

When I went, I was fine nothing happened to me personally neither but there was a ton of idiots down there & I could see where my dad was coming from with that statement.
Yeah, it makes me wonder if some things happened while I was there that I just didn't realize or that I don't remember haha. Oh well, I've never really cared about football much anyway, I always thought it was too slow. One of the reasons I love watching hockey so much is how fast and action packed it is. I want every Philly team to win, I just can't sit through watching the games.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 10:11 PM
  #19
Jray42
Win it for Kimmo
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 2933
My first Birds game was when I was 11 or 12 (like 6/7 years ago). I learned more profanity in those few hours than the rest of my childhood combined

At least the tix were free and ~8 rows off the field. Having gone to another game 2 years ago, I can say I'd much rather spend my time and money on a Flyers or Phillies game. Way to ****ing expensive for having to sit in 20 degree weather, where you can only see ~25% of the field.


Back on topic, you should be fine. It's the Senators, not the Penguins. And it isn't the playoffs, so if you don't start trouble, you'll likely be fine. Eagles games are a different story

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 10:42 PM
  #20
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 10:53 PM
  #21
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 500
I've seen fans be booed out of the upper bowl at the Farg (drunk chick Islanders fans, but they were not helping their situation). I saw old folks booed on the scoreboard at Phantoms games too, but they were Wolves fans during the 04-05 Cup run.

Don't be an A hole, and while you might get ribbed, you'll probably be ok.

That being said, my mom is a Cowboys fan, and she has told me that she will never wear her Cowboys jacket outside after having some Eagles fan threaten and follow her in a super market parking lot. There's no need for that. As an Eagles fan, a Philadelphia sports fan, and as a man, if people are being like that, decent fans need to intervene.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:37 PM
  #22
Danko
...the way she goes
 
Danko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 4,398
vCash: 420
Yeah your fine, pretty much as long as you sit down, shutup, dont cheer when your beating the crap out of us youll be good to go.

Have Fun!

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 07:34 AM
  #23
Insulin
Registered User
 
Insulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
My dad was an Eagles season ticket holder with him & his buddies during the 80's & a bit into the 90's but he always stated an Eagles game is no place for a child not because of anything that happened to him personally but just the stuff he saw down there while going to games.

So Flyers & Phillies games it was for me when growing up which wasn't too bad because I liked them the best & better than football anyway.

When I went, I was fine nothing happened to me personally neither but there was a ton of idiots down there & I could see where my dad was coming from with that statement.

I imagine 80% of the fan base being like the yahoo's who call into WIP everyday.
I'm a Giants fan(I know, I'm weird) and actually went for the home opener for the Eagles of the 2006 season, I was 12 or 13 I think. I got joking jeers for wearing my Strahan jersey at the beginning and the Eagles were playing well so it was a lot of innocent jabs at me which were fine. But then the Giants mounted a pretty decent comeback and we won in OT. It got ugly. Fast. Fans were really trying to get my uncles, who were Eagles fans and season ticket holders, to fight just because I was with them. I had to take my jersey off and just keep my head down the whole way out.

Insulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 07:51 AM
  #24
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insulin View Post
I'm a Giants fan(I know, I'm weird) and actually went for the home opener for the Eagles of the 2006 season, I was 12 or 13 I think. I got joking jeers for wearing my Strahan jersey at the beginning and the Eagles were playing well so it was a lot of innocent jabs at me which were fine. But then the Giants mounted a pretty decent comeback and we won in OT. It got ugly. Fast. Fans were really trying to get my uncles, who were Eagles fans and season ticket holders, to fight just because I was with them. I had to take my jersey off and just keep my head down the whole way out.
That's horrible. I apologize on behalf of all the morons. I honestly don't like going to Eagles games anymore because the majority of the people there are the dumbest, most vile humans on Earth.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:16 AM
  #25
Insulin
Registered User
 
Insulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
That's horrible. I apologize on behalf of all the morons. I honestly don't like going to Eagles games anymore because the majority of the people there are the dumbest, most vile humans on Earth.
I'm 20 now and was offered tickets to the game on Sunday and said thanks but no thanks. The Eagles games are just too much for me, it's not worth it. I'm a Mets fan as well and those can get a little intense when both teams are good, but those are always fun and I've never worried about my behavior or other people around me.

It's every fanbase though, they all of them. It isn't a Philadelphia thing, it's a stupid people thing. I was born and raised in South Jersey so Philly is the home market and that's why I like the Flyers and Sixers, but my dad who likes the Rangers, Giants, and Mets kind of sent that through to me. For whatever reason I agreed with him for football and baseball but disagreed for hockey and basketball. I've been the home fan in all the stadiums and the away fan in all the stadiums and all it takes is one person to dictate how an entire arena or fanbase is seen.

Insulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.